PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Are you satisfied with your body?

Nicky
24-08-06, 02:35
Requested by Catapharact.

This poll is mainly directed to the male members of the forum.

Read the following study (submitted by Catapharact) and reply to the poll question. Thank you :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Men under pressure to have perfect body too
Muscle-bound media images have effect, may lead to dangerous behavior

NEW YORK - Men are catching up to women in one area. They too are feeling pressure to achieve perfect bodies, and this can lead them down unhealthy paths.

The findings of a new study “challenge that myth that men aren’t affected by the media or other’s comments towards their bodies,” Dr. Tracy L. Tylka, at Ohio State University, told Reuters Health.

“Men are affected by those pressures in the media ... or the pressures that others put on them to look more muscular,” she said.

“For some men, this can lead to unhealthy and potentially dangerous behaviors to try to reach that ideal,” Tylka added in a statement from the university.

Previous research has linked the sexual objectification of women in society to disordered eating behaviors among women. During the last three decades, however, men’s bodies have also become increasingly objectified in the media.

One study showed that men who were exposed to ads that included a more muscular male image later expressed more dissatisfaction with their own bodies than those exposed to neutral ads. “Men see these idealized, muscular men in the media and feel their own bodies don’t measure up,” according to Tylka.

In light of such research, Tylka investigated the relationship between the pressure to become more muscular and men’s adoption of certain behaviors. For her study, 285 male university students, mostly freshmen, completed various surveys about the pressure to be muscular and it’s ramifications.

On a scale that ranged from “never” to “always,” the study participants reported that they “often” felt pressure to be muscular, according to Tylka. They “often” or “usually” internalized the muscular images presented by the media — i.e. believed that the only desirable shape is the highly muscular body type. They were also “often” or “usually” dissatisfied about their bodies.

These college men also reported that they “sometimes” engaged in maladaptive behaviors, Tylka reported.

Men who were dissatisfied with their muscularity, for example, were likely to be more preoccupied about becoming more muscular, which led to their use of supplements and possibly steroid use as well, to achieve that muscular image, according to Tylka. Dissatisfaction with their level of body fat predicted a higher preoccupation with counting calories and cutting off certain food groups, she explained.

Because the idealized muscular body image is rooted in society, with “men thinking they’re expected to look a certain way, it can contribute to very negative things for men,” Tylka said.

“Instead of pressuring men to be more muscular, (we need to) accept men’s bodies for what they are and instead focus on internal characteristics,” she said. “Stop focussing on appearance, for both men and women.”

Tylka presented her findings earlier this month during the annual meeting of the American Psychological Association, held in New Orleans, Louisiana.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The study made me curious so I wanted to set up this poll.

Now, this is for the guys.

Males of the forum, look at the following picture:

http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/BDX/BDX395/bxp139915.jpg

Now after looking at it, I want you to select one of the following options:

- You're satisfied with your body.
- You're dissatisfied with your body.
- You feel indifferent.

DREWY
24-08-06, 02:39
Satisfied myself, and indifferent to what others think. So No1

Catapharact
24-08-06, 02:39
Thanks a bunches Niky :).

One more thing guys: The poll is anonymous so you DON'T have to reveal your choice.

Kamrusepas
24-08-06, 02:40
[Even though I'm not a guy] I think this poll should have at least one more option: "I'm satisfied with some parts of my body, dissatisfied with some"

Catapharact
24-08-06, 02:43
I don't add half-assed answers :p. Nah!

Maybe so, but the poll is already up.

ace_85
24-08-06, 02:56
Voted 'Satisfied'. There are always things people don't like about their appearance (myself included), but there comes a point where you just need to say "Ah, what the hell, I'm not aiming for perfection". As long as you're happy within yourself, that's all that really counts. Plus, if I was truly bothered about those extra few pounds, I'd be getting off my ass and doing something about it. As I'm not, I'm really not in any position to complain about them :D

MiCkiZ88
24-08-06, 02:59
voted for satisfied :wve:

SSJ6Wolf
24-08-06, 04:04
I don't care. At this point I don't want to be "attractive," either by society's standards or by an individual's standards. I'm not satisfied because my body is weak and aches when I stand up too long etc., but I'm not going far out of my way for it either, because I know my prefered lifestyle is not exactly going to produce a strong body. So I'll just try and keep it in a somewhat healthy condition. ;)

Melonie Tomb Raider
24-08-06, 04:32
Is this only for guys? I answered anyway lol. :vlol:

Yes, I'm happy with my body. :)

SpongeBob Lover
24-08-06, 04:42
i answered too :D

i dont really care :) as long as i dont get obese, then i dont care about my body :)

Angelx14
24-08-06, 04:50
I'm not a guy, but anyway I voted.:p

CerebralAssassin
24-08-06, 04:54
hell yeah...I have a rock hard body!!:D

JACOBryanBURNS
24-08-06, 05:14
I have an entirely different form about me. I wouldn't ever want to look like the guy in the picture. I'm built on a much tinier frame and I'm a really thin, muscular person... I'm totally happy with my body and would never want to look so bulky.

CerebralAssassin
24-08-06, 05:16
I have an entirely different form about me. I wouldn't ever want to look like the guy in the picture. I'm built on a much tinier frame and I'm a really thin, muscular person... I'm totally happy with my body and would never want to look so bulky.
LOL @ at the avatar!!:vlol:

JACOBryanBURNS
24-08-06, 05:19
LOL @ at the avatar!!:vlol:

Oh you think she's good... PM me and I'll show you some others that'll prolly have you pee your pants you'll laugh so hard.

amlai
24-08-06, 05:20
Voted but i think that it should have more options cos i dont fit %100 in those three option.

JACOBryanBURNS
24-08-06, 05:22
Voted but i think that it should have more options cos i dont fit %100 in those three option.

Agreed. I'm not unhappy with my body... but there are a few areas i'd like to make better.

Kamrusepas
24-08-06, 06:21
hell yeah...I have a rock hard body!!:D

I demand photographic evidence :whi:

GodOfLight
24-08-06, 06:39
[Even though I'm not a guy] I think this poll should have at least one more option: "I'm satisfied with some parts of my body, dissatisfied with some"

I don't add half-assed answers :p. Nah!

Maybe so, but the poll is already up.

yes, i totally agree. this would have been a good choice aswell. things are rarely that black and white as "i am satisfied" "i am not satisfied", and no cat, it's not half-assed.

anyway, i myself am very satisfied with my body, however i still put a lot of work into developing it further and i always have :wve:

Angel_14
24-08-06, 06:40
I voted satisfied :D

GodOfLight
24-08-06, 06:47
and btw, the guy in the picture that is posted in the first post by nicky is not one tiny bit good looking and doesnt even have nice muscles :tea: so that picture isnt really gonna make to many guys feel intimidated id say :D

Nicky
24-08-06, 08:56
and btw, the guy in the picture that is posted in the first post by nicky is not one tiny bit good looking and doesnt even have nice muscles :tea: so that picture isnt really gonna make to many guys feel intimidated id say :D
Well blame Catapharact for the choice of pic, it was him who wanted that one posted :D

GodOfLight
24-08-06, 09:03
Well blame Catapharact for the choice of pic, it was him who wanted that one posted :D

oh yes, dont worry nicky, i know it wasnt your pic. but i think it shows catapharact has very bad taste in men ;)

Neteru
24-08-06, 09:10
LMAO Oh I can't wait for him to reply to that. :D

Tomb Raider Master
24-08-06, 09:12
Quite satisfied, yes. :)

Draco
24-08-06, 09:18
I'm alright...probably should do some things different.

Nicky
24-08-06, 09:22
oh yes, dont worry nicky, i know it wasnt your pic. but i think it shows catapharact has very bad taste in men ;)
LMFAO! :D

Me too Net :vlol:

GodOfLight
24-08-06, 09:35
LMAO Oh I can't wait for him to reply to that. :D

i don't think it will be anything suprising. it'll be a manly reply, in accord with his manly consoles he prefers... and manly everything in fact. :D

tombraiderluka
24-08-06, 09:41
Satisfied.

Thorir
24-08-06, 09:47
Not satisfied, I have too much muscle.

The guy on the pic is my worst nightmare!

jarhead
24-08-06, 10:31
i put i dont care

TR freak
24-08-06, 10:35
I voted dont care. I know I'm not very strong but I dont really care. If I was fat or obese or annorexic (dont know spelling) I might care but I'm not so I dont.

Mad Tony
24-08-06, 10:53
I'm fine with my body :)

Catapharact
24-08-06, 11:10
Girls, as much as I would love any female to participate in a thread, you gonna have to stay back on this one :). The poll refelects the study and the study focuses on guys and their lack of self-esteem. I wanna see if it has merit :).

Yeah, I am sure you have MUCH better taste in aquiring "Boy Toys" so pardon me and my faulty little choice...

Such idiocy.

GodOfLight
24-08-06, 11:48
See? so manly... :D roooaaarrr!!!

Taleigha
24-08-06, 11:51
Is this only for guys? I answered anyway lol. :vlol:

Yes, I'm happy with my body. :)
woops, i answered too.

and im happy with my body in general (my weight and height). but not my face/hair/nose/teeth/eyes/eyebrows/skin/nails/brain

you should have a poll for 'are you happy with your face'

Catapharact
24-08-06, 11:54
See? so manly... :D roooaaarrr!!!

Pity there isn't an ounce of testostrone in you :whi:. I think I'll call you Nancy from now on :wve:.

Lenochka
24-08-06, 11:56
Pity there isn't an ounce of testostrone in you :whi:. I think I'll call you Nancy from now on :wve:.

Not every guy wants to be like " Grrr steak and cars! "
Just because some guys dont act as manly as others dosnt make them any less of a guy...
At least thats how i see it...

Lara's Boy
24-08-06, 11:56
There are of course things that I want to improve on, but I wouldn't change my body structure for anything, I am quite satisfied with myself :wve:

Catapharact
24-08-06, 11:59
Girls, look; I am not trying to be mean here about this, but I put up this poll to see if the study was right or not. It kinda defeats the purpose if the poll demographic is tampered with Lol!

Please, read the first post.

Catapharact
24-08-06, 12:02
Not every guy wants to be like " Grrr steak and cars! "
Just because some guys dont act as manly as others dosnt make them any less of a guy...
At least thats how i see it...

Will not respond to that until polls are done. A respond will add a bias.

Twiin
24-08-06, 12:08
I'd prefer if I could 'beef up' a bit more, add more tone and what not, but I'm not exactly fretting over my body. I'm not fat by any means, and I'm not really skinny either. I'm planning to improve my muscular fitness, but I'm only 15 so I have no worries really!
I don't know why people base their worries on weight as muscle weighs more than fat, and I would much prefer to be heavier!

Apofiss
24-08-06, 12:13
*goes in front of mirror and adores his-self* :D

GodOfLight
24-08-06, 12:16

how would you know how much testosterone i have if you've never met me? :D after all, youre the one putting up the chick fight... just make sure you don't break a nail ;)

tombraider123
24-08-06, 12:20
I chose Satisfied.

I like my body :)

Catapharact
24-08-06, 12:20
how would you know how much testosterone i have if you've never met me? :D after all, youre the one putting up the ***** fight... just make sure you don't break a nail ;)

Yeah... Trust me, if you were in my face, I would have shown you what a manly fist can do :wve:.

Now, go get your hair done or something; You're killing my poll.

Taleigha
24-08-06, 12:23
*goes in front of mirror and adores his-self* :D
:vlol: that wer funny

Nicky
24-08-06, 12:24
Cool down, GOL and Cat, because if you don't, I'll borrow Net's hose :mis:

Catapharact
24-08-06, 12:26

Nah! Nancy was *****ing too much so I had to put her in her place (No offence to the respectable ladies of the forum ;) )

So where were we.

Reggie
24-08-06, 12:45
I voted satisfied ;)

GodOfLight
24-08-06, 12:52

I'm sorry Nicky - it's just, Cataract is so virile i couldn't control my enthusiasm :D

CerebralAssassin
24-08-06, 12:55
I demand photographic evidence :whi:
I don't think we're allowed to post shirtless photos kam!!:D

GodOfLight
24-08-06, 12:56
I don't think we're allowed to post shirtless photos kam!!:D

as far as i know BoyTRaider does it once a month :rolleyes:

tr_mitch
24-08-06, 13:07
Nope. :wve:

Anubis_AF
24-08-06, 13:09
Voted for the first option.

rika2
24-08-06, 13:12
seriously... I don't give a **** :D

CerebralAssassin
24-08-06, 13:16
seriously... I don't give a **** :D
hehe...I mean..just by lookin at your avatar...that should be obvious!!:D

Lara Croft!
24-08-06, 13:35
as far as i know BoyTRaider does it once a month :rolleyes:

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!:vlol:

Shark_Blade
24-08-06, 13:54
Satisfied, but still I could do some more work on my body and it'll be better :D

da tomb raider!
24-08-06, 13:59
Well, I sure am happy with my body. It may need slight work-out once in a while, but right now, I'm happy with it. :)

Rickéh
24-08-06, 14:05
I'm not.

BtoFu
24-08-06, 14:14
Almost completely satisfied. I train for 3 hours every day at my Dad's TKD school and I've just started teaching kids, so being toned is more a bi-product of the training. First and foremost my goal is to be an accomplished martial artist, so aesthetically matching up to the nancy boys in the aftershave ads plays a little redundant when it's not my main focus where training is concerned. I don't use any supplements, pills or whatever maintain my current physique, which probably requires more of me to keep in tip top shape but it's related to what I love to do so I don't mind pushing myself more to keep weight off or whatever. Getting into good physical condition is a lifestyle choice, it's not a 15 week program that you jump on before you go on holiday so you can strut your stuff shirtless on the beach..I respect anyone who works their ass off (better believe it's heavy going) to get into shape, as long as it's for the right reasons and not just so you can be a posing scumbag.

Ampersand
24-08-06, 14:30
I'm not a guy, and I didn't vote because I didn't like any of the options. I'm on the fence - some things I like, some things I think suck (like my hair). It doesn't bother me hugely though. :D

Pipolinne
24-08-06, 16:26
GOL had a point: unless that man represents an ideal for some male members,it's useless. A member who prefers his body to be completely different from that won't never compare negatively towards him.
Or a member may have a similar body and feels unhappy with it,will probably vote "no",not because he feels inferior.

Besides, miscontentment with corporal image per se does not indicates low self-esteem,once this concept is multi dimensional.

Catapharact
24-08-06, 16:38
Pip, if I had a choice to control my demographic and limit the study group to certain households, I will glady do it :p. However, I have to work with what I got.

I made it as simple as possible.

Pipolinne
24-08-06, 16:44
Pipolinne,Catapharact :).

You could use the image of a commercial of great sucess,etc.

But, if you keep in mind a sensible conclusion cannot be taken from it,it's an interesting poll.

Catapharact
24-08-06, 16:46
Pipoline.

Well it'll give me a sort of an idea as to if low self-image for men is a problem (however biased the answer could be.)

tha_mattster
24-08-06, 16:51
GOL had a point: unless that man represents an ideal for some male members,it's useless.

correct :) I think that guy looks monstrous. And if you build up your muscles like that you end up with no neck! :eek:

Catapharact
24-08-06, 16:52
correct :) I think that guy looks monstrous. And if you build up your muscles like that you end up with no neck! :eek:

Offtopic:

You call THAT monsterous? Lol! You're not even close ;).

Lew
24-08-06, 17:18
I have a high metabolism, so no. But hey, I'm still growing so.

ILG49ers
24-08-06, 18:22
I’m satisfied with my body!

Night Crawler
24-08-06, 18:34
I don't care. My other half seems awfully happy with it though. ;)

Neteru
24-08-06, 18:35
Whether I am or am not satisfied with my body, the fact remains, I always get much more satisfaction from someone else's. :cln:

Wolfguard
24-08-06, 18:44
If I had little more muscle here and there, I'd have voted for the first one. Not that I don't have any, mind you, after all I have to lift and restrain large dogs 5 days a week; I just want a bit more muscle, both physically and visually.

;)

refuse
24-08-06, 18:47
Im satisfied :)

Atlantean-Squid
24-08-06, 18:57
Satisfied. Couldn't go wrong with a few improvements though, I guess.

LaraCablara
24-08-06, 20:46
No. I am dissatisfied with my body.

Seriously, I feel ugly. So I waste my time on the computer :) I always hate looking at my reflection..not looking at it always makes me think it would go away.

Im hoping I will change one day :) I mean im young, probably a little younger then most of the average guys on this forum.

Dingaling
24-08-06, 20:51
Not satisfied with most places. There are a couple of parts I'm happy with (:pi:). I am trying to do something about it tho' but due to the lack of results it's annoying me. Altho' I guess slow and steady is the way to get the best overall results :)

LaraCablara
24-08-06, 20:54
Not satisfied with most places. There are a couple of parts I'm happy with (:pi:). I am trying to do something about it tho' but due to the lack of results it's annoying me. Altho' I guess slow and steady is the way to get the best overall results :)

Thats how I think :) I bet if I worked out for 6 hours a day I wouldnt get results...but if I work out 3 hours a day for...42 years im BOUND to see something.

Hurrah4Lara
24-08-06, 21:03
Whether I am or am not satisfied with my body, the fact remains, I always get much more satisfaction from someone else's. :cln:

:jmp:

Well, I voted Yes, though I am rather tall. Oh yes, I am brown yet I have albina hair so people stare :hea:.Oh, and I am skinny yet somehow allergic to exercise.:D Apart from that...

H4L [Jessika]

CerebralAssassin
24-08-06, 23:13
Oh, and I am skinny yet somehow allergic to exercise
H4L [Jessika]

I know a person like that!! :eek: his skin would become extremely red after exercising on a full stomach,yik:

Geck-o-Lizard
24-08-06, 23:42
I'm indifferent. As long as it functions properly and my face doesn't look like I've been on the wrong end of a combine harvester, I've got no quarrel with it. ;) Got better things to worry about than that. :)

GodOfLight
25-08-06, 02:28
No. I am dissatisfied with my body.

Seriously, I feel ugly. So I waste my time on the computer :) I always hate looking at my reflection..not looking at it always makes me think it would go away.

Im hoping I will change one day :) I mean im young, probably a little younger then most of the average guys on this forum.

i admire this post very much for i feel that it is very honest :tmb: an nice dose of honesty to see amongst a bunch of cuckling roosters :D

lita212
25-08-06, 02:33
i like my body. im not too thin and not too big im just right lol. the only thing i would want to work more on though is my v muscle but i still like my body now. i wouldnt suit havin a huge muscle bound body because my style and look wouldnt handle it.

curly
25-08-06, 03:04
I'm okay with my body. I want it to look better but it's in good shape. I exercise every day...30 mins....6 days a week. :)

ivannnnn
25-08-06, 07:06
Yes Yes