PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars - Further re-releases and possible restoration of the original versions ???

TombRaiderLover
24-08-06, 12:53
Further re-releases:

Lucas has hinted in the past, and it is most likely assumed, that he will release his definitive (often called "archival") editions of all six of his Star Wars films on a next-generation home-video format in 2007. This release would coincide with, and celebrate, the 30th anniversary of the Star Wars saga. It has been speculated that he will take this opportunity to make any final adjustments, changes, additions, and/or subtractions to his films for this final release. An altered clip from The Phantom Menace included in a featurette on the DVD release of Revenge of the Sith (in which a computer generated Yoda replaces the original puppet) appears to be a sign that the "archival" editions are indeed in the works.

It is said that this edition will be released in a "Grand Saga" box set, and the home video format will most likely be Blu-ray, as 20th Century Fox, as well as he himself, have said they prefer this format. Lucasfilm Vice President of marketing Jim Ward confirmed that in this final release, Lucasfilm is likely to return to John Lowry to do even more work on the films (possibly digital contemporization of the original trilogy). He says "As the technology evolves and we get into a high-definition platform that is easily consumable by our customers, the situation is much better, but there will always be work to be done."[4]

Producer Rick McCallum, as well as Ward, have also explained that they have been holding back a large amount of bonus material for this release, including deleted scenes, as well as numerous previous Star Wars "making-ofs," spin-offs, television specials, Documentaries etc.

Possible restoration of the original versions

In response to fan outcry over the perceived mis-treament of the original cuts, Lucasfilm representatives stated that new, anamorphic transfers of the original cuts cannot be made because the original negatives of the theatrical cuts (from which the anamorphic transfers would typically be made) no longer exist. This created further anger when fans worldwide discovered that George Lucas himself had during the 1990s ordered that as many of the existing 35 millimeter copies of the film as could be found be destroyed.

In a May 2006 posting, the editor of The Digital Bits, a DVD enthusiast website, noted that one of the supposedly lost 35 millimeter copies is owned by Robert A. Harris, one of the world's renowned film archivists and the owner of Film Preserve, a highly lauded company specializing in the digital transfer and restoration of 35 millimeter film stock. Harris, who is a contributor to the site, submitted a letter stating that he is positive that anamorphic, high definition transfers of the films can be made along with a "master" presentation negative from which new 35 millimeter reels can be made. The letter (a copy of which was sent directly to Lucasfilm) has gone unanswered.

Autolycus
24-08-06, 13:42
This certainatly makes interesting reading it seems they're always finding new material from somewhere. Although i am a very very big Star Wars fan it makes me wonder if they truely want to give their fans something special or just want to make even more money.

Shark_Blade
24-08-06, 13:59
I only like Phantom Menace. The others sounds really farfetched and boring to me.:rolleyes:

Autolycus
24-08-06, 14:07
I only like Phantom Menace. The others sounds really farfetched and boring to me.:rolleyes:

OMG shark_blade :yik: you're missing out on something fantastic :jmp:

Shark_Blade
24-08-06, 14:14
lol :D I watched all of them Auto, but everyone has their favorites, and I have mine.

I really don't buy Obi-Wan and Anakin having a duel hovering over a hot boiling lava. They should've burnt to toast even getting near it. Guess Lucas lost his touch over the years.

Rivendell
24-08-06, 14:23
Further re-releases and possible restoration of the original versions ?

Give it a rest Lucas! You're seriously trying to milk as much $$$ out of SW fans as you can! Original dvds, altered dvds, boxsets, bigger boxsets, extra features, re-mastered dvds, remastered original dvd boxsets , etc etc.

:rolleyes:

Autolycus
24-08-06, 14:46
I really don't buy Obi-Wan and Anakin having a duel hovering over a hot boiling lava. They should've burnt to toast even getting near it. Guess Lucas lost his touch over the years.

You have a point shark_blade,maybe they were wearing flame resistant trousers :D

BtoFu
24-08-06, 14:49
He should be shot in the face. :)