PDA

View Full Version : UK Drivers - Child Seats For the Under-Twelves

Greenkey2
25-08-06, 19:33
No, I'm not making this up; although when I first read this article I thought it was a spoof.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5279142.stm

But it is not April the 1st. From September onwards children under the age of 12 (or less than 135cm tall) in the UK travelling in cars will have to use child seats. There are some exceptions, but the law (and a fine of up to £500 for not complying) has been laid down.

This is the first I've heard about this, and I came across the article purely by chance. Although I do not have any children and therefore am not affected by this legislation, I am deeply annoyed at how little information or publicity there has been given to this news :mad:.

Rickťh
25-08-06, 19:35
Im glad i'm 13 ;)
But it still sucks for those kids who are 12 or under.

Grenade
25-08-06, 19:35
That's gonna embarrassing for those kids.

Mad Tony
25-08-06, 19:36
:mad:
I'm 13, so it doesn't affect me.
I hate the way this country is run :mad:

Alive_and_Funky
25-08-06, 19:36
Although I do not have any children and therefore am not affected by this legislation, I am deeply annoyed at how little information or publicity there has been given to this news :mad:.

I'm not under 12 years of age but I agree with you. I had only found out about it when I was in Toys 'R' Us and there was this thing which mentioned it.

jarhead
25-08-06, 19:38
theres an advert on TV of a children stating the new law, personally i think its a bit stupid,

i dont think it'll make a lot of difference to the deaths

and yer it hasnt been premoted that well, freeview got more coverage.

Catapharact
25-08-06, 19:38
Actually its quite important that this law takes effect.

Booster seats are quite essential for children under the age of 12 since they don't have the required height to be strapped in saftely with seatbelts. An accident could injure them even more.

rika2
25-08-06, 19:46
this was implemented in my country many years ago...

Lenochka
25-08-06, 19:50
In the U.S. i beleive its 9... or at least it is for michigan. In fact i seen a commerical for it today... But i rarely see anyone beyond the age of 6 in a car or booster seat these days...they cant enforce parents to do it though... since its just a suggestion

Lavinder
25-08-06, 19:55
Whew, lucky me 14.

Geck-o-Lizard
25-08-06, 19:57
Actually its quite important that this law takes effect.

Booster seats are quite essential for children under the age of 12 since they don't have the required height to be strapped in saftely with seatbelts. An accident could injure them even more.

Agreed. There's a certain amount of parental paranoia that I disagree with, but when it comes to issues like this where it's kids' lives at stake, I do agree with them getting some extra safety measures in. A grazed knee playing football will toughen them up, but being hurled through the windshield or squashed by an ill-fitting seatbelt ain't gonna help them build character.

they cant enforce parents to do it though... since its just a suggestion
the law (and a fine of up to £500 for not complying) has been laid down.

Hurrah4Lara
25-08-06, 20:15
I am deeply annoyed at how little information or publicity there has been given to this news :mad:.
Hehe, Greenkey, welcome to the Nanny State:jmp:! I have returned to England after many years' absence, and am amazed at how soft the people have become!

New Labour has learnt well from earlier manipulators such as Goebbels (ReichsMinister for Public Enlightenment:eek: and Propaganda), and has cleverly increased state control of the private citizen. I usually love quotes, but here is one I do not like:

It is not a question of whether we should intrude in family life, but how and when

:yik:

H4L:wve:

Lone Raider
26-08-06, 07:25
we've had these in my country for a long time. But the seats are not actually these baby seat lookalikes. We just use sort of solid styrofoam cushions which push the height of the child to the safe side.

TombRaiderLover
26-08-06, 09:10
I'm 12 and more than 135cm, so whoo-hoo! My sister is 9 and yet over 135cm too, so she doesn't need one either.

Angelx14
26-08-06, 09:13
Im glad i'm 13 ;)
But it still sucks for those kids who are 12 or under.
Ditto. :)
That is not fair for those kids who are 12...or under it.
It's enbarrassing for them..

TombRaiderLover
26-08-06, 09:14
Idn't it for kids who are under twelve, not 12?

Jacob x5
26-08-06, 10:04
135cm? That's about 4'5", isn't it?

Hurrah4Lara
26-08-06, 10:59
135cm? That's about 4'5", isn't it?

Yes it is, Jacob.

Hey, everyone, I've just posted in the music thread and these lyrics came up exactly as I write:jmp::

Donít be told what you want donít be told what you need

Taleigha
26-08-06, 13:00
heh - id be well embarrased if i was 11 and had to use a booster seat. considering i stopped using one when i was 7. or maybe 8.

Greenkey2
26-08-06, 14:29

I know what you mean, but I'd rather be embarrassed than thrown through a car windscreen.

Point taken, but the argument that it is 'embarrassing' or 'uncomfortable' doesn't hold water when safetly is concerned. If I ride a bike I wear a helmet; if I'm in a car I wear a seatbelt. If my body is not the correct size for my seatbelt to hold me properly I sit on something to raise me to the right height.

Hurrah4Lara
26-08-06, 18:12
I know what you mean, but I'd rather be embarrassed than thrown through a car windscreen.

Point taken, but the argument that it is 'embarrassing' or 'uncomfortable' doesn't hold water when safetly is concerned. If I ride a bike I wear a helmet; if I'm in a car I wear a seatbelt. If my body is not the correct size for my seatbelt to hold me properly I sit on something to raise me to the right height.

But that should be your choice, Greenkey, not the State's:yik:.

Greenkey2
26-08-06, 19:26
I'll play devil's advocate here (apologies to all) and say that the reason the state is so interested in creating these measures is so that, in cases where people are injured or killed they can, in essence say "I told you so" without fear of having their fingers burnt. That and it will probably save lives.....

Right: engaging normal, liberal state of mind. Everything's back to normal ;)

pinklaralover
26-08-06, 19:42
o no im 9 but i think i have past my dad thinks so im really tall but concidering its 135cm is that small than 4 foot 6? can someone work it out because i need to know :confused: :(