PDA

View Full Version : Archaeologists uncover tattooed Scythian warrior

tlr online
26-08-06, 12:20
ARCHAEOLOGISTS FIND TATTOOED MUMMY
Copyright 2006 www.tombraiderchronicles.com

[ August 26th 2006 ]

A team of archaeologists have unearthed a well-preserved, 2,500-year-old mummy frozen in the snow-capped mountains of Mongolia complete with blond hair, tattoos and a felt hat, Agence France Presse reports. The Scythian warrior was found in June at a height of 2,600 meters in the Altay Mountains in an intact burial mound or kurgan.

Hermann Parzinger - president of the German Archaeological Institute which spearheaded the search - said that until now remains of the Scythians, who were Iranian nomadic peoples, had only been found on the Russian side of the Altays. He said the new find showed that their territory was much broader than first thought.

Scythians lived in confederated tribes, a political form of voluntary association which regulated pastures and organized a common defence against encroaching neighbours for the pastoral tribes of mostly equestrian herdsmen.

While the productivity of domesticated animal breeding was much higher than of the settled agricultural societies, the pastoral economy also needed a supplemental agricultural produce, and stable nomadic confederations developed either symbiotic, or forced alliances with sedentary peoples, in exchange for animal produce and military protection. (Wikipedia)

Catapharact
26-08-06, 12:25
Did you also know that Sythians paved the way for the concept of cavalry archers for European armies? (Particularly the Byzintine armies.)

Its one of the reasons why the Byzintines fell; Their armies were mostly made of conscripts from other cities/regions.

tlr online
26-08-06, 12:26
Did you also know that Sythians paved the way for the concept of cavalry archers for European armies? (Particularly the Byzintine armies.)

Its one of the reasons why the Byzintines fell; Their armies were mostly made of conscripts from other cities/regions.
Interesting. I did not know that.

Hurrah4Lara
26-08-06, 12:36
Very interesting:tmb:, thanks for posting.

blond hair, tattoos and a felt hat
I wonder if he could yodel:D.

H4L:wve:

rika2
26-08-06, 13:32
for moments I tought they've found the genghis khan tomb...