PDA

View Full Version : Just got Soul Reaver 2

shaahinkaaveh
26-08-06, 18:01
...and played a bit of it :). I'd like to know a little about the game. I mean which version of LoK is it, and why is it called Soul Reaver 2? (What was SR 1 then :D?)

And some technical questions: How can you save your game, and how can you skip the long cutscenes?

Thank you everybody :wve:

badboy70
26-08-06, 18:02
i've heard of it, but what's it about ?

Nicky
26-08-06, 18:09
I'd like to know a little about the game. I mean which version of LoK is it, and why is it called Soul Reaver 2? (What was SR 1 then :D?)
Soul Reaver 2 belongs to the Legacy of Kain series, which consists of five installments, each one starting off where the previous one ended. SR2 is the fourth installment. It's called Soul Reaver 2 because there was a Soul Reaver 1 released before.

LOK is an amazing game series, and all installments are worth playing. The storyline is really massive and takes place in a really huge imaginary environment. If you play them in order, you will get to understand the story much better.

You can read lots of interesting things about the games in these sites:

http://www.dark-chronicle.co.uk/info/index.php (http://www.dark-chronicle.co.uk/def/index.php?id=5)

http://www.nosgoth.net/home.htm

And some technical questions: How can you save your game, and how can you skip the long cutscenes?
You can only save at the preset savepoints (which unfortunately aren't many and are located too far away from each other). You can't skip the long cutscenes.

Neteru
26-08-06, 18:25
Nicky is of course correct on every point she made, except:

You can only save at the preset savepoints (which unfortunately aren't many and are located too far away from each other). You can't skip the long cutscenes.

She is just a moaner because there's plenty of savepoint that aren't too far away from one another. :ton:

Nicky
26-08-06, 18:31
She is just a moaner because there's plenty of savepoint that aren't too far away from one another. :ton:
Yeah yeah, sure :whi:

Only in one level there are two savepoints close to each other :ton: In the rest of the game, you are condemned to be playing for hours before you reach a savepoint :rolleyes: :p

Neteru
26-08-06, 18:39
In the rest of the game, you are condemned to be playing for hours before you reach a savepoint :rolleyes: :pI guess that happens to some, when they don't know what they're doing. :ton:

kill bill
26-08-06, 18:40
hm.great game.

Nicky
26-08-06, 18:49
I guess that happens to some, when they don't know what they're doing. :ton:

Ner ner :ton: :D

But I never complained about the other LOK games :D It's just SR2 with the lame save system :mis:

BtoFu
26-08-06, 19:14
You aught to check out the original Soul Reaver for the PS One first, the story is a direct continuation..you get a recap but it's not the same as enjoying the first game.

SR2 is class. :jmp:

shaahinkaaveh
26-08-06, 20:04
Thanks everybody, I'll maybe post my progress later :).

HELLOfromRUSSIA)
26-08-06, 22:59
Legacy of Kain Forever!
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/956307323

shaahinkaaveh
28-08-06, 17:38
The last news: I'm stuck :D. After saving for the first time and killing some baddies, I end up with a gate and a switch which does nothing other than a making a sound.

Neteru
28-08-06, 17:50
Some baddies? A gate and a switch? It would be helpful to know exactly where you are. ;)

shaahinkaaveh
28-08-06, 17:56
I'm in "southern lake". After the first save obelisk, I jump to a platform, and from there glide to another one. Then I kill some baddies/soldiers/whatever you call them, and follow a river. At the end, up some stairs there is a gate, and a switch/handle which seems to be used to open it, but the switch can't open the gate. :)

Nicky
28-08-06, 18:19
I can recall the place; if I remember correctly, you have to hold down the lever until the gate opens.

Neteru
28-08-06, 18:22
Yes, Nicky is correct. You have to hold the lever, and the big gates will open up to the Pillars of Nosgoth.

Elysia
28-08-06, 18:23
That place had me stuck for a while - you have to hold the lever until the gate opens fully and then go through ;)

SR2 is a great game, and Lok is a great series. If you can get hold of the original Soul Reaver, you are in for a real treat - that game is *sublime*!

shaahinkaaveh
28-08-06, 20:46
Thanks I passed it :). The environments are nice :).

Neteru
28-08-06, 22:35
If you can get hold of the original Soul Reaver, you are in for a real treat - that game is *sublime*!

Indeed it is. It has a special place in my heart, being the first one of the series I played. I just LOVE it. And the dynamic music is fantastic. Oh magic.

The environments are nice
The forges are particularly fantastic I think.

Twiin
29-08-06, 08:46
If only Crystal Dynamics can transfer some of the Soul Reaver magic over into Tomb Raider!

shaahinkaaveh
29-08-06, 13:23
I have a question by the way. when I wanted to buy this game, I hesitated, because I didn't know if something like Legend has happened to the series or not. I mean is Soul Reaver 2 respectful to the original LoK?

Nicky
29-08-06, 14:53
I mean is Soul Reaver 2 respectful to the original LoK?
It sure is. Basically there is a specific storyline which develops through the games, and in every new game you get to learn more things about the story and the background of the characters (ie Blood Omen 2 is basically a flashback via which we learn about Kain's past). From between SR1 and SR2, I would say that in general SR1 is better overall (in terms of atmosphere and gameplay), but SR2 is very good on its own, and it's ending is amazing - to say the least. The twists in the story are fantastic. If you ever have the chance, you should play both SR1 and Blood Omen 2 as well (which both, storyline-wise, take place before SR2 and help you understand several things about the plot).

Elysia
29-08-06, 14:56
And if you can get it, Blood Omen 1. It's an old game now and hasn't aged very well (old isometric graphics ahoy...) but the story is amazing... it really sets you up to understanding about Nosgoth, the Pillars and Kain.

However, I do have a plot summary for the first game if you can't get hold of it!

shaahinkaaveh
29-08-06, 18:38
However, I do have a plot summary for the first game if you can't get hold of it!
Oh, it's good, may I have that? :)

Elysia
29-08-06, 18:46
:) No problem. If you want the story for the first Soul Reaver, I have that too (I typed this ages ago for someone and saved it - I knew it would come in handy again!)

All games take place in Nosgoth.

1st game - Legacy of Kain, Blood Omen. Released 1996.

Nosgoth is dark, war-torn land, ruled by 9 Pillars - these Pillars represent 'features' important to people (initially their origins are unknown - you discover who they were raised by in a later game)

(Descriptions of Pillars copied from official material)

Death being the cycle of life, death and rebirth which the Ancients held sacred. Guarded by Mortanius the Necromancer

Conflict being the interactions of things with other things and the new things arising thereof (mainly war). Guarded by Malek the Sarafan (NB: The Sarafan are also an order of Knights, sworn to rid Nosgoth of the Vampire Menace).

States being the nature of the physical world and the ordering of the concrete, including chemicals and all the laws governing the physical world, such as electromagnetism and gravity (chemistry and physics, basically). Guarded by Anacrothe the Alchemist

Energy being the vital force which animates creation and allows for the changing of all things. Guarded by Dejoule the Energist

Time being the cyclical flow of time and the fated events to take place in order of their happening. (note that in LoK, time is neither dimensional nor directional, but it can be altered, with great difficulty, by one possessing sufficient comprehension of the nature of such a thing). Guarded by Moebius the Timestreamer (Moebius is a VERY important character!)

Dimension being the dual directionality of the fabric of existence, allowing things which exist to exist and preventing things which do not exist from existing. Guarded by Azimuth the Planar

Nature being the growth and evolution of living things, and everything which is animated or can be said to have a soul. Guarded by Bane the Druid

The Mind, being the soul itself, or the soul as it perceives itself, including all psychology, the study of the mind in relation to itself. Guarded by Nupraptor the Mentalist

And finally: Balance being the interactions of all the spheres of law, and all things which fall under the rule of more than one set of laws. It allows for the existence of things such as the aforementioned psychology, sociology, and politics. Balance governs all of existence through its governship of the laws themselves. Balance is the Pillar that holds all the others together and therefore could be argued that it is the most important. Guarded by Ariel (Ariel is also another VERY important character)

At the start of the game, Ariel is murdered by persons unknown, which sends her lover Nupraptor mad. His madness then infects the others Guardians (like a psychic shockwave), which 'poisons' the pillars, corrupting the land.

Kain is a rich nobleman who is ambused and murdered by brigands. Wanting his revenge, he is offered a choice by a necromancer called Mortanius (yes… the same Mortanius who guards the Pillar of Death!): he can have his revenge on his killers, but to do it he must become a Vampire. Why Mortanius offers Kain this choice is unclear at this moment, but in his eagerness for revenge, Kain accepts his offer.

Kain finds out a little bit about his vampire heritage, and that he can restore his health by using ‘the Heart of Darkness’ – the heart of Janos Audron: the last true ‘vampire (non human) that lived. His heart was ripped out of his living chest, and restores vampiric unlife. Janos Audren is a very important character later on.

Kain then has his revenge on his murderers (this is very early on in the game) and as a vampire, makes his way to the Pillars, where he meets the ghost of Ariel (the former Guardian of the Pillar of Balance). She tells him that in order to restore the Pillars, Kain must kill their Guardians (because they are the ones infecting them). So Kain goes off on a murderous rampage, killing the Guardians and restoring the Pillars.

Later on, Kain meets an old Vampire called Vorador, who occasionally helps him. We find out later that Vorador is also the forger of the original Reaver sword (NOT the Soul Reaver – the Reaver becomes the Soul Reaver later!), which ends up in the hands of Moebius, the Time streamer.

Moebius, however, has disguised himself as the Oracle of Nosgoth, a soothsayer. Kain goes to him (not realising who he is) for advice. There is a great War going on at this time as well, led by a force called the Nemesis – Kain finds out that this force was once a King called William the Just, and so Moebuis (because he is the timestreamer and can manipulate time) arranges it that Kain goes back in time, so he can kill William before he becomes the Nemesis and therefore stop the War.

However, little does Kain realise that Moebius has his own agenda – the destruction of all Vampires. Moebius is very old – he gave the Soul Reaver (NOT the Reaver, but the altered sword) to William in the first place, and it slowly corrupted him, turning him into the Nemesis. Problem is – William is much loved by his people when Kain kills him, and is response to his murder the people of Nosgoth go on a rampage, murdering all the Vampires they can – this all culminates with Vorador being discovered and beheaded before Kain is even born, creating the games first time paradox.

This is also where Kain first receives the Soul Reaver.

Kain then kills Moebius… but Moebius is brought back to life by a (at this time – we find out later that it is the Elder God that resurrects Raziel) strange force. However, the Time Pillar is healed.

Problem is, everyone hates Vampires now even more than they did before. In this time period, Kain then travels to the Cathedral of Avernus, only to find it besieged by ‘demons’ – later on, we find out that these are servants of the Hylden, the original foe of the ancient Vampires (when vamps were their own species and not transformed humans – Vorador was the first ever ‘human vampire’.)

Kain then continues his murderous rampage, killing the final guardians and restoring the Pillars… he then discovers, to his horror that HE is the new Balance Guardian - he was born at the moment of Ariel's murder and was always destined to replace her - and in order to restore it, he must sacrifice himself. At the Pillars, there is also a huge ‘beast’ waiting for him… it turns out that the Pillars also act as a Gateway, keeping some pretty nasty foes out. Later on in the other LoK games, we piece together that these ‘beasts’ are the Hylden – sworn enemies of the ancient Vampires who were banished millennia ago. At that time, the Vamps were a noble race – the Hylden cursed them with the insatiable Bloodthirst (Raziel discovers this in Soul Reaver 2), and to get rid of them, the Vamps banished the Hylden and built the Pillars to stop them from ever returning to Nosgoth.

Problem is… the Hylden leader, Hash’ak’gik, had found a way to extend his influence through the Pillars and was possessing members from time to time… Hash’ak’gik possessed Nupraptor, and in this guise, Nupraptor killed his love, Ariel, thus causing the Pillars to decay… and the gateway / prison door is weakened (y’see?! It was all a plot to allow the Hylden to get back to Nosgoth! Problem is, they didn’t foresee that Ariel would get Kain to kill the guardians and therefore strengthen the Pillars again – they thought the Guardians would just go mad and the Pillars would crumble, allowing them easy entrance to Nosgoth). The Hylden still can’t get through – the other pillars have been restored by Kain and therefore only the ‘demons’ (servants of the Hylden) can get through (it turns out that Azimuth, after being turned insane by Nuprator's madness, had been summoning these ‘demons’ herself from the Hylden Plane, hence the reason they were in Avernus and therefore Nosgoth – the Pillars were still strong enough to keep the Hylden and the majority of the ‘demons’ out).

Kain fights this ‘demon’ and is then given the choice by Ariel – sacrifice yourself and restore the Pillar, or abandon it and doom Nosgoth to decay…

You’re given the choice at the end of the game.

interstellardave
29-08-06, 18:56
If only Crystal Dynamics can transfer some of the Soul Reaver magic over into Tomb Raider!

It does make one wonder, huh? :confused:

I think it was just too much pressure... all the corporate guys so uptight about "saving" the franchise; everyone and his brother professing to know what needs to be done to "fix it"; heaping all of that onto Crystal Dynamics and saying "resurrect Tomb Raider, and do it just like this!" I can imagine the creative process was hindered quite a bit by having way to many hands in the pot--and a whole lot of second-guessing along the way. :(

Twiin
29-08-06, 20:13
^ Yeah, too many cooks spoil the broth as they say!

I have Blood Omen 2, and I've been perservering with it for the story... it was made by a different team at Crystal whilst the rest were making SR2, wasn't it?

shaahinkaaveh
29-08-06, 21:10
Thank you a lot Elysia :wve:, this story is magnificent, and of course I want to know more :). BTW, in the second release they assume that Kain chooses to abandon the pillars at the end?

Neteru
29-08-06, 22:29
Kain refused the sacrifice.

There is still so much to discover about this story, but it is truly a magnificent one. The synopsis Elysia gives is very simplified I think (I'm sure she won't mind me saying) because I think for me it is much more stunning than it appears. I'm a bit disappointed that some of the facts are given away there because I think a large part of the thrill of the story is what you discover as you go along, and what you realise yourself.

Anyway, I really hope CD go on with it. They just have to, there is so much to know. I so want to know why Kain refused the sacrifice. There is so much he knows that we've yet to discover, and more particularly there is so much to discover about Raziel (I have my own belief about that as it goes).

Tombreaper
29-08-06, 22:45
...and played a bit of it :). I'd like to know a little about the game. I mean which version of LoK is it, and why is it called Soul Reaver 2? (What was SR 1 then :D?)

Thank you everybody :wve:

It's called LoK Soul Reaver 2 because of LoK Soul Reaver, the original PS1 game, which outclasses Soul Reaver 2 in almost all aspects.
Even the PS1 graphics come close:cln:

Ward Dragon
29-08-06, 23:33
The games' order is Blood Omen 1, Soul Reaver 1, Soul Reaver 2, Blood Omen 2, Defiance (I don't think anyone explicitly said this yet). Soul Reaver 2 and Blood Omen 2 were indeed made at the same time by different teams. Blood Omen 1 and Blood Omen 2 can be viewed as stand-alone games because each one is self-contained, although they do fit into the larger story arc (Blood Omen 1 originally was supposed to be a single game, and Blood Omen 2 is a flashback of Kain's life between BO1 and SR1, but it contains everything you need to understand its story). Soul Reaver 1 literally ends with "to be continued" and Soul Reaver 2 also ends at a cliff hanger which is directly followed up in Defiance (Defiance has an ending that is somewhat open, so I don't find it satisfying but it's not a blatant "to be continued" either).

Blood Omen 1 is definitely dated, but I honestly enjoyed it so much that I didn't even notice the graphics after a few minutes. It's a 2D RPG style game that is very long and well done, although the puzzles mainly consist of flipping switches or properly using Kain's alternate forms. There are save points scattered throughout Nosgoth and I didn't really have any problems with their placement.

Soul Reaver 1 is very much like Tomb Raider, except with a lot more exploration in some regards. The game makes the assumption that Kain refused the sacrifice at the end of BO1 and went on to raise vampiric lieutenants, including Raziel. There are block puzzles, along with some other puzzles that I can't really describe without giving them away. Also, each boss battle is a puzzle, and they are all very different from each other (defeating each boss grants Raziel a new ability which allows him to gain access to areas that were previously off limits). The saving system allows you to save anywhere, but when you load you always appear at the very start of the game and have to walk back to wherever you were using warp gates. For me, the game was a lot more enjoyable when I only saved at warp gates because then I didn't need to worry about where exactly I left off or what switches I had pulled in the new area.

Soul Reaver 2 has some really fantastic puzzles in the forges (you are in for a treat). It's a great game except for two things: I think it's a little short, and I also hate the way the saving system is implemented. It wouldn't be so bad if I was allowed to save at each totem, but it's very frustrating going for an hour or two and not being able to quit the game and do something else.

Blood Omen 2 is a flashback of Kain's rise to power after BO1. It was made by a different team so it has a different feel to it. BO2 features much more industrialized and gothic areas of Nosgoth. In homage to BO1, many of the puzzles contain switches but it's done with a nice twist. Kain also has some of the powers he had in BO1 and occassionally he needs to use those powers in part of a puzzle. The boss battles are puzzles too, like in SR1. This game also has checkpoints, but they are well-balanced and didn't cause me any problems.

Defiance starts right where SR2 left off and follows Kain and Raziel in alternating chapters as they try to figure out once and for all what's going on. This game has the same engine as Legend, but the camera is a static "cinematic camera" that cannot be controlled by the player. This makes controlling the characters very difficult with a keyboard and mouse, but it is very easy on Xbox (I haven't tried any other versions). Defiance has checkpoints as well. They are fairly frequent, but can seem far apart if the camera is causing problems with jumping. A sequel to Defiance was unofficially announced very shortly after its release, but since then the LOK series has been shelved for an indefinite period of time.

As a final sad note, Tony Jay (voice of Mortanius in BO1 and the Elder God in the rest of the series) died very recently :(

Neteru
29-08-06, 23:39
The games' order is Blood Omen 1, Soul Reaver 1, Soul Reaver 2, Blood Omen 2, Defiance
The order is in fact:

Blood Omen
Soul Reaver
Blood Omen 2
Soul Reaver 2
Defiance

As a final sad note, Tony Jay (voice of Mortanius in BO1 and the Elder God in the rest of the series) died very recently :(
Oh no! :( Oh how sad. His voice is great in the games.

Ward Dragon
29-08-06, 23:47
The order is in fact:

Blood Omen
Soul Reaver
Blood Omen 2
Soul Reaver 2
Defiance

I think SR2 was released in 2001 and BO2 was released in 2002. I view BO2 as a flashback that Kain has right after SR2, since the events in BO2 are directly caused by the events in SR2 and couldn't happen before it. I won't say any more because it would require discussing events in SR2 and I don't want to spoil it :)

Oh no! :( Oh how sad. His voice is great in the games.

I know. I was literally rendered speechless when I learned about his death :(

Neteru
30-08-06, 00:03
I think SR2 was released in 2001 and BO2 was released in 2002. I view BO2 as a flashback that Kain has right after SR2, since the events in BO2 are directly caused by the events in SR2 and couldn't happen before it. I won't say any more because it would require discussing events in SR2 and I don't want to spoil it :) Those may indeed be their respective copyright years, but I distinctly remember playing BO2 whilst waiting on the release of SR2. I'm talking about UK here, don't know about elsewhere.

Furthermore, it was a shock to see a certain group return in SR2, after Kain discovered their machinations in BO2.

Ward Dragon
30-08-06, 00:21
Those may indeed be their respective copyright years, but I distinctly remember playing BO2 whilst waiting on the release of SR2. I'm talking about UK here, don't know about elsewhere.

Furthermore, it was a shock to see a certain group return in SR2, after Kain discovered their machinations in BO2.

Ah, well, I do believe that officially SR2 comes before BO2, but really BO2 could fit in anywhere. In the US at least, I think SR2 came out earlier, although I did play BO2 first because it was still around when I discovered the series, whilst SR2 was very scarce and I had to resort to asking a friend to get it for me off of e-bay.

I'm going to say something that's a bit of a spoiler. I don't think it's visible in the white text unless it's hilighted, but just the same, skip it if you haven't played SR2 (referring to shaahinkaaveh and any other players who have just started the game:))

At the end of SR2, the timeline is changed and Kain has new memories blooming and dying. BO2 is one of the new memories that comes into his mind as a result of SR2's ending. That's my understanding of it, at least.

Neteru
30-08-06, 00:35
... [what was written in the white text] ...
Well we don't know for sure that when Kain says: [white text follows] "My God, the Hylden." that it does refer to the BO2 time, though when he says "Raziel, Janos must stay dead." it could refer to Janos being used as the 'fuel' for the Hylden device. For if he is dead, then the Hylden can't use him. But my thought on that when I first heard it was that Kain needs Janos dead so that Kain can use his Heart of Darkness for sustenance in BO time. My impression of Kain's horror at what he was seeing was that the trap the Hylden had set was to prevent Kain even becoming who he had become.