PDA

View Full Version : Proof That Money Doesnt Mean Happiness

Catapharact
26-08-06, 22:31
>> Well, according to this anyway << (http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/RetirementandWills/CreateaPlan/ProofMoneyDoesntMeanHappiness.aspx)

Quote:

According to a June 2006 study spearheaded by Princeton economist Alan Krueger and Nobel Prize-winning psychologist Daniel Kahneman, once you reach a certain income level, more money does not contribute significantly to well-being and may actually result in more stress and less bliss.

"The belief that high income is associated with good mood is widespread but mostly illusory," according to the study. "People with above-average income are relatively satisfied with their lives but are barely happier than others in moment-to-moment experience, tend to be more tense and do not spend more time in particularly enjoyable activities."

Personal View:

Simple little formula:

Play > Work: You're a bum and thus you need help.

Work > Play: You have no life and thus you need help.

Work = Play: Congrats! You're living my life :p.

tr_mitch
26-08-06, 22:36
Most people don't need proof to know that money doesn't make happiness.
But i guess those who have lots of money may defend there case and say it does.

Hybrid Soldier
26-08-06, 22:42
Money does make happiness i say!

When i get my new computer, 360, comics, cd's...theres one more thing i know i'm missing.

...Hah, damn, after reading that it makes me sound like a complete nerd for wanting all that stuff.

Oh well. :)

tr_mitch
26-08-06, 22:43
Yeah but after sometime Adam... The novelty wears off.
Which would you prefer Friends/Family or life or Lots of dosh?

Hybrid Soldier
26-08-06, 22:45
Yeah but after sometime Adam... The novelty wears off.
Which would you prefer Friends/Family or life or Lots of dosh?

Hmmm, life's a choice? I'd have to go with friends.

Rivendell
26-08-06, 22:50
True, Money doesn't = Happiness.

Although, I'd say it Really helps at times. With money you can do what you want, and if you can do what you want you're bound to be a bit happier than if you don't have money and can't, see? Regardless of love and family- that's a different matter.

Catapharact
26-08-06, 23:03
Again, bias view, but:

I think the study may have foucused on high end corporate positions like CEOs. Offcourse CEOs are stressed for quite many reasons:

- They are the company top representitive. For them Image is everything and they don't want to distraught potential customers or investors.

- The burden on responsibility rests heavily on their shoulders. CEOs are liable for company losses and could be charged under extreme circumstances.

- CEOs must perform well to stay in job. You as an investor wouldn't want your hard earned money invested in some company whose CEO acts as if he knows nothing (again, goes back to the image problem.)

Night_Heaven
26-08-06, 23:04
Money=happines.
Money can buy happines.
Money can make you happy.
So money are happines.Much better than happines. I will mary for money..hi hi hi :tea: :tea:

tr_mitch
26-08-06, 23:05
Usually higher paid jobs mean more hours working, and less hours away from home... So i guess you have to choose whethered you'd prefer more family time, or more money to support your family.

Catapharact
26-08-06, 23:05
NH:

Did you even read the article?

Night_Heaven
26-08-06, 23:06
Just kidding of course...yes I readed..it was a joke..ah..nevermind...:tea:

Catapharact
26-08-06, 23:17
Usually higher paid jobs mean more hours working, and less hours away from home... So i guess you have to choose whethered you'd prefer more family time, or more money to support your family.

Well again, comes down to corporations and their contracts. Some companies give care givers flexable hours as an incentive to work for them (actually, more and more corporations are catching on that idea.)

Ahhhh... Me likey my company's work ethincs.

tr_mitch
26-08-06, 23:21
Aslong as i have enough money for the basic things in life, and of course a little extra for holidays ect then i'm not to fussed.

Wealthy people have to be careful, since when meeting new people... You never know whether there genuine or just wanting to take you for all you've got.

Not that i wouldn't like to be 'well off' because i would! But money is really no object for me.

xMiSsCrOfTx
26-08-06, 23:36
I guess it all depends on the person. Some people are happy with what they have and really don't ask for much. Others always strive for the best and don't stop until they have it, most of the time always wanting more than they have. Personally, I'm in the middle. I have my moments, I should say. :p

ace_85
26-08-06, 23:39
Money might not equal happiness, but I'd sure as hell jump at the chance to figure that out for myself :pi:

Geck-o-Lizard
26-08-06, 23:54
Money? I don't need that to enjoy myself. I can make my own happiness with whatever I have (drawing stuff, chatting to people, daydreaming...) :)

ILG49ers
27-08-06, 00:17
Well, Iím not what you would call rich, or even close, but Iím still happy. Personally, I know money canít buy happiness, but I donít think it would hurt my happiness either. :p

B-thoven66
27-08-06, 01:40
Usually higher paid jobs mean more hours working, and less hours away from home...
Sorry, I don't get it. Maybe it's my poor english but... didn't you mean "more hours working, and more hours away from home"?

Draco
27-08-06, 09:36
Do what you love to do for a living and everything else takes care of itself.

Geck-o-Lizard
27-08-06, 09:54
Do what you love to do for a living and everything else takes care of itself.

Not always. If that were true, my family would be a lot richer than we are... my dad worked as a kitchen designer for years (100% handmade custom-designed real wood & granite kitchens), he loved the work but we always ended up making a loss rather than a profit because he had to keep his prices competitive compared to those kitchen retailers that threw out piece-of-**** cheap kitchens that everyone usually goes for. He was so good at his work that although he left that work for another career about 5 years ago and his old customers still sometimes call and ask if he can make them another piece of furniture. If your comment was true, he'd have made millions.

tr_mitch
27-08-06, 10:30
Sorry, I don't get it. Maybe it's my poor english but... didn't you mean "more hours working, and more hours away from home"?

Wooops little mistake i made :whi:
Thanks for correcting me :D

Gomes
27-08-06, 10:42
Money might not equal happiness, but I'd sure as hell jump at the chance to figure that out for myself :pi:

:tmb:

Catapharact
27-08-06, 18:37
Money? I don't need that to enjoy myself. I can make my own happiness with whatever I have (drawing stuff, chatting to people, daydreaming...) :)

*Swings a 10,000 US dollar bundle in front of Geck's eyes.*

You are getting greedy....greedy....greedy.

Seriously though, you would be surprised as to how easy it is to crack a person these days.

Decoop!
27-08-06, 18:46
I don't think money can garuantee happiness but it certainly makes things alot easier!

Cataphract, I think your 'work to play' illustration is about right.

Lone Raider
27-08-06, 18:46
From my own personal experience I'd say money makes the world tick faster.
If you're really poor, you'll spend lots of days just waiting for the next allowance to arrive which will be gone within the day once you've paid the bills and done some shopping. If you're rich, or earning well at least, you can do a whole lot more things, can go places, and plan what you're going to do next since you can invest.
None of that has to do with real hapiness, though, IMHO. Real happiness sits right inside you and won't leave you whatever your financial situation might be.

I think "contentment" would be the better word...

Lew
27-08-06, 18:51
Money does cause happiness, but gives you stress when you dont know what to buy etc. I got the premium version of 360 for my bday and some money left over and i still have no idea what to spend it on, then when its gone its gone, maybe i'll buy stuff for my iPod but i dunno, then ihave to work for money till christmas if i want more than 10 pound a month. So yeah it does cause stress but happiness when you know what to spend it on.

B-thoven66
28-08-06, 00:15
Wooops little mistake i made :whi:
Thanks for correcting me :D
Hehe, gotcha! Don't mention it :tmb:
Back on topic. A few years ago I was unemployed, with serious problems to pay the rent and have a proper meal. Nowadays I've got a good job, bought a car, my PC and other items, and I'm saving some money to buy my own house, but actually I don't feel any different than before.
I think there's a whole lot of little things that make your life shine. Money is just one of them. And once you've reached a certain incomings level, the more you earn, the more you get into stress.

angelika
28-08-06, 07:40
It 's all up to the individual.

I mean there are people who are very happy even though their income doesn't satisfy their basic needs and vice versa.
Happyness doesn't come the things you can afford to buy.
You can be happy just being with a friend, a lover or a person you love, this doesn't cost any money.

But one other hand unhappiness does go along with poverty but not vice versa. Serious problems thus unhappyness can appear from the lack of money.

Geck-o-Lizard
28-08-06, 08:27
*Swings a 10,000 US dollar bundle in front of Geck's eyes.*

You are getting greedy....greedy....greedy.

Seriously though, you would be surprised as to how easy it is to crack a person these days.

Gimme £10,000 instead and I'll take it. Would do to buy my first car so as not to destroy my parent's car by learning in it. :cln:

Money does cause happiness, but gives you stress when you dont know what to buy etc. I got the premium version of 360 for my bday and some money left over and i still have no idea what to spend it on, then when its gone its gone, maybe i'll buy stuff for my iPod but i dunno, then ihave to work for money till christmas if i want more than 10 pound a month. So yeah it does cause stress but happiness when you know what to spend it on.

That, dear Lew, is a sign of unnecessary consumerism, and too much spare cash. ;) You should feel stressed when you *know* what you need but can't afford it.

MiCkiZ88
28-08-06, 08:45
Lots of money - no happines for me, Just plain stress
Not that much money - Im happy, I know that I can buy what I need

Too much money can cause a lot of stress. You dont know what to do with it so you start buying stuff. Has happened to me so many times..

angelika
28-08-06, 09:01
If I had a lot of money I could buy a lot of things I 've been wanting for a long time. That would actually make me happy but it would expire soon enough, after that I would want sth else.
True hapiness doesn't run out.

CerebralAssassin
28-08-06, 13:36
>> Well, according to this anyway << (http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/RetirementandWills/CreateaPlan/ProofMoneyDoesntMeanHappiness.aspx)

Quote:

According to a June 2006 study spearheaded by Princeton economist Alan Krueger and Nobel Prize-winning psychologist Daniel Kahneman, once you reach a certain income level, more money does not contribute significantly to well-being and may actually result in more stress and less bliss.

"The belief that high income is associated with good mood is widespread but mostly illusory," according to the study. "People with above-average income are relatively satisfied with their lives but are barely happier than others in moment-to-moment experience, tend to be more tense and do not spend more time in particularly enjoyable activities."

Personal View:

Simple little formula:

Play > Work: You're a bum and thus you need help.

Work > Play: You have no life and thus you need help.

Work = Play: Congrats! You're living my life :p.

so..let me get this straight...you needed a study to confirm that money doesn't equal happiness?LOL...come on cat...you dissapoint me!!:p

Ampersand
28-08-06, 13:40
Imo money can only buy so much. Life isn't just about material things. :)

viper456
28-08-06, 13:48
give me money and i will show you happiness :)

Catapharact
28-08-06, 14:41
so..let me get this straight...you needed a study to confirm that money doesn't equal happiness?LOL...come on cat...you dissapoint me!!:p

I would rather take the word of a study over some cranially challenged forumers any day if that's what you mean :whi:.

CerebralAssassin
28-08-06, 17:03
I would rather take the word of a study over some cranially challenged forumers any day if that's what you mean :whi:.

ANYONE would tell you that money doesn't equal happiness...not just forumers...you make it sound like the forumers are some odd alien entities from the planet zulu!!:p

Catapharact
28-08-06, 17:52
To quote a little line from a childer's song (and this doesn't applies to all of you so chill ;) )

You're the saddest bunch I ever met
But you can bet before we're through
Mister, I'll make a man out of you

You're a spineless, pale, pathetic lot
And you haven't got a clue
Somehow I'll make a man out of you!

Taleigha
28-08-06, 17:54
money brings me happiness. loadsa money!!

viper456
29-08-06, 01:31
im happy to start with, money would just bring more happiness :)

T.Onix
29-08-06, 01:47
Money is not happiness, but, heck, I admire the way it disguises in to it!

Just kidding

B-thoven66
29-08-06, 02:37
give me money and i will show you happiness :)
Er... sorry if I misunderstand you, but... is that kind of activities allowed in this forum? :eek:

angelika
29-08-06, 08:51

Have I told you lately I like you A LOT? :hug: ;) ;)

Lone Raider
29-08-06, 08:57

I bet cranially challenged forumers are the happiest, anyway. :p

viper456
29-08-06, 09:21
Er... sorry if I misunderstand you, but... is that kind of activities allowed in this forum? :eek:

lmao i didnt mean it litterally. I ment if i was given tons of money by winning the lottery or something i would be happy. lol

dont worry im not begging :p