PDA

View Full Version : Really Nervous >

Sam-1990
27-08-06, 12:49
At last ive got a job, but gosh i am very very nervous - I start on tuesdays.

I went into the retail shop i will be working in yesterday with some friends, with a very uncomfortable responce and felt tottaly out of place and didnt even really got a hello.

I am so nervous i cant get it out of my head, im 16, male and its only obviously part time, but im even considering weather ot nor to drop it, becuase im so nervous about going in and not knowing anyone and may not be liked, i feel kidna sad feeling like this, but i dont think i can do it, im shy as it is. I dont no how on earth im gonna be friendly and nice.

just hope you guys can give me a bit of inspiration maybe make me feel a bit better.

VonCroy360
27-08-06, 12:52
Don't think about droping or anything like that...
Go there, give it some time, I'm sure it will get better and you'll meet great people after just a few days... If not, wait for a few weeks, if nothing gets better, quit it then...

Anyway, just be optimistic, don't think how stupid it will be, think how great you will feel meeting new people (and making money :D), and if you behave that way, I'm sure everyone will like you...

:)

frostfur452
27-08-06, 12:55
I'm goin on my third job now and I understand what you're going through... I wanted to just run out the first time i started all three because I felt really out of place and i also felt stupid because at the time I was the only one who didn't really know what was going on.

You often feel like you're an outsider as everyone else is already familiar with eachother..

But trust me... the longer you put up with this period of awkwardness you will eventually thank yourself that you did later on...

I just started working at my new job for a few months now... and because I've persevered... I am now loving it and have formed great friendships with my co-workers...

Just give it time and I'm sure your nervousness will pass :)

Sam-1990
27-08-06, 13:01
I'm goin on my third job now and I understand what you're going through... I wanted to just run out the first time i started all three because I felt really out of place and i also felt stupid because at the time I was the only one who didn't really know what was going on.

You often feel like you're an outsider as everyone else is already familiar with eachother..

But trust me... the longer you put up with this period of awkwardness you will eventually thank yourself that you did later on...

I just started working at my new job for a few months now... and because I've persevered... I am now loving it and have formed great friendships with my co-workers...

Just give it time and I'm sure your nervousness will pass :)

thanks yeah - i think its gonna take a few weeks to get used to it, just need to be strong first few weeks.

Taleigha
27-08-06, 15:21
i member my first job, it was in a little chef. and i hated it!! i stuck it for a year tho. since then i had about ten jobs, some i worked two at a time. they all got better the more experience i got.

give it some time, you may get to like it. but if you dont, theres tons more jobs out there for you.

Real Life Lara
27-08-06, 15:25
Ah, go for it :) Dont drop it just yet, just see how it goes and like they already said, youll be fine after a while, youll get used to it: and why would your coworkers not like you? :p Be positive and youll be fine ;)

Eek Im nervous too though... Ive gotta ring up the manager of Craigdon Mountain Sports at some point to see about getting a Saturday job... oh well :p

Lara Croft!
27-08-06, 15:47
It's natural to feel stressed!You're only 16 and I guess that's your first job,right?Try to relax and be yourself!And don't even think of quitting before u even get there!Make a bet with yourself that you'll give that job a shot,no matter what!You will have to go to work one day eventually in your life.It's not sth u can avoid forever!So it's better to do it now that you're young!

Best of luck!!!!Let us know how it went!!!!

Sam-1990
27-08-06, 16:05
It's natural to feel stressed!You're only 16 and I guess that's your first job,right?Try to relax and be yourself!And don't even think of quitting before u even get there!Make a bet with yourself that you'll give that job a shot,no matter what!You will have to go to work one day eventually in your life.It's not sth u can avoid forever!So it's better to do it now that you're young!

Best of luck!!!!Let us know how it went!!!!
Thanks guys, ill get back you on wednesday - hopefully I bring good news.

HOPEFULLY

Greenkey2
27-08-06, 17:14
You'll be fine Sam, and feeling nervous is entirely expected and ok :hug: There'd be something wrong with you if you weren't nervous!

It's stressful going into new situations, but take a deep breath and dive in - the rewards to your confidence and self-esteem are worth even more than the paycheck :tmb: Good luck!

Sam-1990
29-08-06, 09:40
D-day. :(

Draco
29-08-06, 18:56
They are paying you right? What else matters :p

tha_mattster
29-08-06, 18:58
D-day. :(

it's not really a big deal. Put on the news, listen to what other people are going through in the world and that should put things in perspective for you and then make you feel less anxious :)

Good luck!

Ampersand
29-08-06, 19:08
I'm sure you'll do fine, Sam. :tmb:

I started my first job recently, with no idea of what to expect, and I'm getting into it just fine. It's a bit like your first days at school - you don't know anybody, or what to do, and you're watching what everyone else does to try and stop yourself from slipping up. But after a while you find your niche and make yourself comfortable.

Hopefully your colleagues will treat you OK. There'll always be some people who you don't get on with, or who give off bad vibes. Just one of those things you have to learn to live with. :)

Good luck. :wve:

Nephili
29-08-06, 19:24
You will do fine, what shop are you working in? The Retail industry is usually pretty good, but you obviously get some arrogant customers, try not to let them get to you :)