PDA

View Full Version : Archaeologists score ancient Biblical waterways

tlr online
28-08-06, 18:24
JUDEA KINGDOM WATERWAYS UNEARTHED
Copyright 2006 www.tombraiderchronicles.com

[ August 28th 2006 ]

Archaeologists excavating an ancient water system in Israel have unearthed a network of drain pipes and underground tunnels that would have served one of the grandest palaces in the biblical kingdom of Judea, according to Reuters.

"The infrastructure of the palace was remodelled throughout the centuries to fit the needs of the Babylonians, Persians, Romans and Hasmoneans who ruled the Holy Land," said Oded Lipschits, a Tel Aviv University archaeologis who heads the dig with an academic from Germany's University of Heidelberg.

The Persians - who took control of the area around 539 BC - were responsible for creating the original water system, decorating the area with small waterfalls in an attempt to create a paradise setting in the middle of the desert.

FULL ARTICLE (http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/headlines2864.html)

Catapharact
28-08-06, 18:27
A pity that much of it was lost during the conquest of Alexander the Great...

Ther Persians used to have a great city named Perspolis, that Alexander burned down during a drunken rage. Its sad that such archetectual beauty was lost.

There is a site that reconstructs the city in 3D.

tlr online
28-08-06, 18:34
Cat. You seem quite versed on Archaeology. How long have you been interested? Would you be interested in some freelance work?

tha_mattster
28-08-06, 18:43
He's doing some classics courses at Uni I think :)

Greenkey2
28-08-06, 18:45
All I really have going for archaeology is enthusiasm :D But a very interesting read Justin, thanks :tmb:

I just have to laugh at the coincidence between this and my latest fanfiction :eek: :vlol:.

Catapharact
28-08-06, 18:46
Cat. You seem quite versed on Archaeology. How long have you been interested? Would you be interested in some freelance work?

Not exactly archaeology but more like ancient historian ;) Lol! I currently taking courses on the history of the Mediterranean along with my goal for a BBA major :) (and I usually read up on anything related with ancient civilizations. My focus usually revolves around ancient battle techniques and strategies.)

As for Freelance work, I got a trip comming up next year at the Franchthi cave next year. Will keep you guys posted on what the class learn ;)

Greenkey2
28-08-06, 18:48
Come back with lots of pictures please! :D That sounds interesting :tmb:

Catapharact
28-08-06, 19:05
I am just worried about how I am gonna cope will all of this. I got to stay with my Job part time while I study. Along with that, the wedding date is in November (during the winter holidays) and the honeymoon lasts till new years (atleast they both have been planned and prepared.) A week after that I gotta get back to studies and the Job and then the trip.

Man... Its gonna be hectic.

Reggie
28-08-06, 19:34
*Imagines it back in the day...very beautiful...*

The trip sounds interesting as well ;)

Edit: I just looked up some info on it, you're so lucky to get the oppurtunity to go there. I'll have to visit the place myself one day. (I'm planning onvisit Greece at some point)

Hurrah4Lara
29-08-06, 00:10
tlr, thanks once again for these interesting posts:tmb:.

My focus usually revolves around ancient battle techniques and strategies.
We share an interest Catapharact:hug:. The parallels with modern day are powerful, aren't they - the best generals surely respect the past. Let me repay you a favour (you once recommended some Battle groups to me); if you haven't seen it before, here's a book I think you'll enjoy:

Fifteen Decisive Battles of the World - E Creasey

H4L:wve:

T.Onix
29-08-06, 00:50
"The Persians - who took control of the area around 539 BC - were responsible for creating the original water system, decorating the area with small waterfalls in an attempt to create a paradise setting in the middle of the desert"

Babylonians, as far as I know, started this water system in order to create their hanging gardens, that were one of the 8 marvels of the ancient world. This technique, or some variations had been adopted by some civiliations, including the romans.

Another Lara
30-08-06, 14:29
Not exactly archaeology but more like ancient historian ;) Lol! I currently taking courses on the history of the Mediterranean along with my goal for a BBA major :) (and I usually read up on anything related with ancient civilizations. My focus usually revolves around ancient battle techniques and strategies.)

As for Freelance work, I got a trip comming up next year at the Franchthi cave next year. Will keep you guys posted on what the class learn ;)

I wish I had taken Ancient History at Uni rather than Archaeology...the outdoors doesn't tend to agree with me! Give me a dusty old library and a mysterious old archive and I'm in my element! :)

Altho spending a month in the Caribbean and getting paid for it I spose is not so bad!;)