PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars DVD's - More Menus and Clips

TombRaiderLover
30-08-06, 17:31
Go HERE (http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/star-wars20.html) for menus from the original theatrical version of Empire Strikes Back. I love those menus! :jmp:

Go HERE (http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/star-wars-the-original-trilogy.html) for clips from the DVD's themselves. They're not in as bad condition as I thought they would be.

interstellardave
30-08-06, 17:33
I'm sure they digitally remastered the actual film...

TombRaiderLover
30-08-06, 17:36
I'm sure they digitally remastered the actual film...
No, they didn't. They've been taken straight from the old 1993 Laserdisc masters and are apparently in bad condition, although I think the clips are fine. They couldn't be remastered because Lucas destroyed the original negatives, the stupid man.

EDIT: OK, I just watched the third clip. Jesus, you don't really realise how bad the picture is until you compare it to the special edition.

interstellardave
30-08-06, 17:42
No, they didn't. They've been taken straight from the Laserdisc masters and are apparently in bad condition, although I think the clips are fine.

I haven't seen the clips yet, but this information burns me up! :mad: It sounds like another half-assed release on Lucas' part. I had the original Laserdisc releases and they were great for their time but, honestly, the VHS release of Episode 1 looked better... So then he remasters the originals but adds things that hard-core fans detest, then he finally breaks down and releases the originals without the extra/changed footage but doesn't bother to remaster them? :mad: If they are merely the LD versions they won't look nearly as good on a big screen television as your average modern teen comedy does! :hea:

If this remains this way I WILL NOT BUY THESE. Lucas can you-know-what himself.

TombRaiderLover
30-08-06, 17:43
I only watched the first clip before, and have watched the second and third and have changed my mind. They are in bad condition. Dull, washed-out colours and pixelation.

interstellardave
30-08-06, 17:46
Just watched the clips and it is UNACCEPTABLE. I was so excited about this too. Thanks George Lucas... thanks very little...

TombRaiderLover
30-08-06, 17:50
I was so excited about this too. Thanks George Lucas... thanks very little...
Apparently somebody has one of the 35mm negatives of the original versions and sent a letter to LucasFilms saying it could be remastered, but there was no reply. I suppose they're too lazy (can't be bothered to remaster it) and evil (making us stick with the Laserdisc transfers.)

TombRaiderLover
30-08-06, 17:50
Oops, double post.

interstellardave
30-08-06, 17:53
Apparently somebody has one of the 35mm negatives of the original versions and sent a letter to LucasFilms saying it could be remastered, but there was no reply. I suppose they're too lazy (can't be bothered to remaster it) and evil (making us stick with the Laserdisc transfers.)

Lucas has proved himself to be an arrogant SOB many times over... I think he's nuts, seriously.

TombRaiderLover
30-08-06, 17:54
Lucas has proved himself to be an arrogant SOB many times over... I think he's nuts, seriously.
I know, it was bad enough to go and add digital crap to his classics.

But what do you think of the menus?

interstellardave
30-08-06, 17:58
I know, it was bad enough to go and add digital crap to his classics.

But what do you think of the menus?

The menus look cool! I don't think I'll see them on my TV though. Take that, Lucas! :p

Notice how it says "available for a limited time only!" He always does that too. Perhaps in another 10 years we'll get remasters of the original films, sans extra crappy scenes! I hope I'm around to enjoy it... ;)