PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas what 256 panic control is?

Henhead
30-08-06, 18:19
Does anyone know what 256 panic control is, as in 6 analogue buttons with 256 panic control on an Xbox controller? Has it something to do with degrees of pressure?

I was just wondering as I bought a new Xbox with 4 games for 89 the other day. The games were

Project Gotham Racing 2
Forza Motorsport
Halo 2
Fable - The Lost Chapters

I have also bought

Mission Impossible - Operation Surma
Full Spectrum Warrior
Hunter The Reckoning
Return To Castle Wolfenstein - Tides Of War
Oddworld - Munch's Oddysee
Oddworld - Stranger's Wrath
Burnout 3 - Takedown
Midnight Club 3 - Dub Edition

I also bought a wireless controller, thus where my question originates from

interstellardave
30-08-06, 18:37
Great purchases for the most part! But I've never heard of "256 panic control". Who makes the wireless controller that you bought?

Henhead
30-08-06, 19:01
Great purchases for the most part! But I've never heard of "256 panic control". Who makes the wireless controller that you bought?

This 256 panic control is standard in all Xbox controllers by the looks of it, wired or wireless. If you search 256 panic control in Google all you will find mostly is links to purchasing controllers

interstellardave
30-08-06, 19:06
This is the first I've heard of it... and I can certainly say that, since it is in all the controllers, it's nothing special... just some marketing term to describe something we all take for granted! The Xbox controller doesn't work any differently than a PS2 controller for the most part.

ace_85
30-08-06, 19:09
Henhead, it might refer to the number of 'inputs' that the control pad recognises. Most controllers these days have analogue inputs on the buttons as well as the sticks, and so can recognise more than one degree of pressure when they are pressed. I distinctly remember everyone in the games industry being sceptical when a similar statement was made by Sony just before they released PS2, about the pad responding to some 200+ different input combinations, although it makes more sense now in retrospect. I imagine the Xbox pad has a similar set-up, and this could be what the '256 Panic' refers to (I would imagine that Panic is just a brand name like with the Havok physics engine) :)