PDA

View Full Version : Ebooks.

Lavinder
01-09-06, 14:44
Ok, i'm thinking of getting a few ebooks but i'm worried about my eyes, how much will sitting at the computer and reading for hours damage my eyes?

I have sat and read tons of fanfictions for hours before and I have not noticed any change but in the longterm how bad would it be?

Trigger_happy
01-09-06, 16:14
im cant really answer your question, but i much prefer to actually hold the piece of writting, piccy etc in my hands- then you can lounge around and read it, instead of sitting at your computer.

tr_mitch
01-09-06, 16:27
I'm thinking that you shouldn't really be reading ebooks for over an hour anyway, You'll be straining your eyes too much... Can give you bad head aches, and as you said, Screw up your eysight.

But if you read them in moderation, I don't think it will cause old Lavvy any harm.

Lavinder
01-09-06, 16:35
Okies, I think my eyes are use to reading anyway being on this forum. Apart from staring at hot pictures...

TombRaiderLover
01-09-06, 18:11
I read a whole film script on the internet for about an hour, but my eyes felt alright.

Lone Raider
01-09-06, 18:21
I find ebooks very very tiring. I got some comics, and they're never quite the right size, and I'm forever zooming in to see the pics properly, for example. I've also tried reading a huge novel on the internet, and gave up after five hours. It was so strenuous.

Andromeda66
01-09-06, 18:30
Ok, i'm thinking of getting a few ebooks but i'm worried about my eyes, how much will sitting at the computer and reading for hours damage my eyes?

Well it kinda depends on several factors but I ideally would NOT recommend you to sit at your computer screen at a stretch for a long time. Your eyes experience strain even with the most optimum of settings.

If you MUST sit for longer, I would suggest you take breaks in between(grab a sandwich, a glass of juice), close/wash your eyes for a bit to give them rest.

:wve:

Mytly
01-09-06, 19:48
I read a lot of ebooks - I have a HUGE collection of them. I find that as long as I take care to format it according to my taste, I can read for at least a couple of hours at a stretch. E.g., I usually convert all my ebooks into doc or html files, and convert the font to Verdana (Times New Roman or any other font with serifs is too hard to read on a computer screen). Then enable fullscreen view so that the maximum amount of text is exposed at a stretch, and a minimum amount of scrolling is required. You can try whatever font styles, sizes, etc. that you find most comfortable, and of course, take short breaks between reading.

Lavinder
01-09-06, 19:54
Ok, i've noted all this. :)

Geck-o-Lizard
01-09-06, 20:22
I'd reccommend you go for the hardcopy version of stuff. I was reading an e-comic for hours yesterday and today my eyes hurt pretty bad from straining to read the text. >_<

Nothing digital can beat sitting down on a comfy sofa with a warm blanket and a real paper book. :)