PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone just watch the September 11th documentary?

Jacob x5
02-09-06, 20:33
Did anyone watch that 9/11 documentary on Channel 4 just now? It was two an a half hours long — I missed the first hour though.

When this incident actually happened I was 9. I wasn't old enough to understand it fully or appreciate the sheer scale of it, but watching that show has really opened my eyes. It happened 5 years ago and for most people it has become the past, but for those people in the thick of it (like the fire fighters) everyday is September 11th.

It really struck a cord with me watching what happened. First a plane hits the side of one of the towers. That's a pretty big exlosion and a lot of deaths. Then the other one gets hit. Could it possibly get any worse? About an hour later one of the towers collapses. Then the other one, and my god those people weren't half running. One of the fire fighters said the dust was so thick you couldn't see your own hand in front of you. And just imagine going on holiday to New York, to see New York. You think "It's such a nice day, we'll go up to the top of the World Trade Center."

And now I'm off to watch Top Gear — something a little more light-hearted, don't you think?

Mad Tony
02-09-06, 20:36
Awww...I missed it.
It's so sad that those stupid terrorists had to blow it up! :mad: :(
All those innocent people died!
And it was such a landmark aswell. :(

Lara's Boy
02-09-06, 20:41
I remember watching it as it happened (on TV) in my spanish class. It was very depressing, and at first it seemed as though it wasn't real.

Rivendell
02-09-06, 20:41
Horribly tragic incident that makes me well with anger whenever I see anything about it.

One thing guys : Goldstein and Big Brother.

Lavinder
02-09-06, 20:45
I can remember the day so clearly when I saw it on the new. My friend was coming to my house to collect me to go to a school event but we ended up staying and watching the news.

I did not take in the sheer mass of damage this had caused at the time, I knew the whole storyling because my parents would have news 24 on every day after. I am so mad that humans are so petty that they have to do this.

Just makes me so MAD.

Mad Tony
02-09-06, 20:48
I can remember the day so clearly when I saw it on the new. My friend was coming to my house to collect me to go to a school event but we ended up staying and watching the news.

I did not take in the sheer mass of damage this had caused at the time, I knew the whole storyling because my parents would have news 24 on every day after. I am so mad that humans are so petty that they have to do this.

Just makes me so MAD.

Yeah some humans are so pathetic! :mad:

But, hats of to all the fireman and basically everyone who helped rescue people.

tr_mitch
02-09-06, 21:03
Sheeesh its 5 years on the 11th this month.
Their has been quite a few films released aswell, I've seen 'United 93' its not the kind of film you want on dvd, but definatley a must see.

Lara Lover
02-09-06, 21:08
Yeah. I watched it tonight. Quite interesting story of what the firefighters of NYC had to go through that day. It's quite sad whenever the first death of 9/11 was the Father. It was something like Death : 00001 or 0001? Something like that. It was quite sad.

Jacob x5
02-09-06, 21:46
My dad remembered going to the twin towers a few years ago and having his picture taken outside the towers with his friends. It saddened him to think that they're simply not there anymore.

My grandad said he was at a bar at the time (I think), and it was on the TV. At first he actually thought it was a film.

It was 5 years ago, but this is such a big moment in history that I know it will never be forgotten. It was probably the biggest terrorist attack ever.

Mad Tony
02-09-06, 21:47
My dad remembered going to the twin towers a few years ago and having his picture taken outside the towers with his friends. It saddened him to think that they're simply not there anymore.

My grandad said he was at a bar at the time (I think), and it was on the TV. At first he actually thought it was a film.

It was 5 years ago, but this is such a big moment in history that I know it will never be forgotten. It was probably the biggest terrorist attack ever.

Yeah. :(
I'm just worried, are there more to come? :(

jarhead
02-09-06, 21:47
i didnt watch it, mainly because i was busy but i would have loved to have seen it, i think it would have reminded me of how big the scale of it was, but the 5 years have flown by

Jacob x5
02-09-06, 22:01

The attack was so devastating because nothing like it had ever happened before. They saw that these four planes were flying over New York/Washington when they shouldn't have been. Planes simply never fly that low at that part of New York. They knew that something strange was going on, and they just didn't know what to do. When the planes hit they just didn't have a clue.

There are procedures for this kind of thing now, things that are done when we know for sure a terrorist attack is imminent.

In America, if they can see for sure that an aircraft is going to hit something, they shoot it down. Sure, it kills everyone on board, but that was going to happen anyway. At least the target survives.

raiderfun
02-09-06, 22:02
Yes , i saw it in french ;)

Rickéh
02-09-06, 22:08
Im gonna watch it its here on TV Monday September 11th so.

Rivendell
02-09-06, 22:43

With increasing talk of World War 3, I can bet there'll be similar things in the future.

Mad Tony
02-09-06, 22:51
With increasing talk of World War 3, I can bet there'll be similar things in the future.
World War 3!!!!!!???? :eek:
But, if World War 3 occours, we're all dead!
Infact, the whole planet will be obliterated.

L.C
03-09-06, 07:22
This film was shown on British tv 5 years ago; what they aired last night was an updated version of the original piece.

But it was a very sad day indeed.

:(

jackles
03-09-06, 08:39
I've watched both ..the orignal documentary and the updated one last night. It's a very intimate account of the days before and after. Very moving and ulimately uplifting in a sense that the young 'probie' fireman they were tracking has gone on to work with the hazardous incident team. Theres going to a lot of stuff about 9/11 in the next few days and I think its important to watch and remember.

tr_mitch
03-09-06, 09:59
Theres actually quite a few documentarys this week, Might be worth checking them out.

jarhead
03-09-06, 10:00
whens the one on about the magic stairwell B or whatever?

tr_mitch
03-09-06, 10:06
whens the one on about the magic stairwell B or whatever?

Monday i reckon, Thats about people who were actually in the tower when it collapsed and survived, CRAZY isn't it.... But i will surely be watching it.

jarhead
03-09-06, 10:07
Monday i reckon, Thats about people who were actually in the tower when it collapsed and survived, CRAZY isn't it.... But i will surely be watching it.

me to, i wanted to see the falling man but i missed it.

tr_mitch
03-09-06, 10:09
me to, i wanted to see the falling man but i missed it.

Saw that... Was kinda depressing, it was also my birthday when i watched it aswell.
Its was very interesting though.

I don't think they ever actually identified him.

jarhead
03-09-06, 10:10
Saw that... Was kinda depressing, it was also my birthday when i watched it aswell.
Its was very interesting though.

I don't think they ever actually identified him.

i think someone has to know who he is, sad really but didnt a lot of those stuck in the towers do it?

tr_mitch
03-09-06, 10:11
i think someone has to know who he is, sad really but didnt a lot of those stuck in the towers do it?

Do what?

Greenkey2
03-09-06, 10:13
I missed it, but I have seen other documentories about the attacks. I remember every tiny detail of that day; what I was wearing, what I was doing, what had been on the radio when I switched it off to put News 24 on the TV...

I actually caught the story very early on, and was therefore watching live pictures when the second plane went in. It is burned into my memory forever.

jarhead
03-09-06, 10:13
Do what?

jump out, i remember watching the news and seeing a few figures falling , it was either poeple or debris but how the news cut away fomr it and changed the angle so popele coulnt see them :(

me too, i remember everything, mum picking me up form school, what she was saying, what the teachers said on the day after

tr_mitch
03-09-06, 10:19
jump out, i remember watching the news and seeing a few figures falling , it was either poeple or debris but how the news cut away fomr it and changed the angle so popele coulnt see them :(

me too, i remember everything, mum picking me up form school, what she was saying, what the teachers said on the day after

Hmmm well apparently they had a choice, either to burn to death or jump to certain death, But many religious people saw jumping as suicide and of course this caused problems since suicide is a sin.

But yeah i remember it too, Though i got back and because i was so young i didnt really quite understand it all as much as i do now.
Had it happened at the age i am now, It would have been even more shocking.

Dazzy
03-09-06, 10:26
When it happened in 2001, I was at School at the time, then I saw it on the tv when I got home. I can't really remember my exact feelings about it, but I'm sure they were sad ones. I did see this programme in September 11th 2002, as it was on then, and it was such a moving programme. Now that I have seen some of it again, makes you wonder why it happened, and R.I.P to the people to lost their lives.

Lavinder
03-09-06, 11:31
I missed it, but I have seen other documentories about the attacks. I remember every tiny detail of that day; what I was wearing, what I was doing, what had been on the radio when I switched it off to put News 24 on the TV...

I actually caught the story very early on, and was therefore watching live pictures when the second plane went in. It is burned into my memory forever.

Same here, it was awful.

Bonez
03-09-06, 13:02
I'm currently half way through the one on last night, i recorded it. I cant believe it...

I remember the day... i was young i didnt know what a terroist attack was.

Watching the first plane hit the tower on the documentary is unnerving.. my heart was beating prrtty fast.

K.J
03-09-06, 13:15
http://letsroll911.org/

Rivendell
03-09-06, 13:31
Thank you for that link K.J !

Paul H
03-09-06, 13:35
One thing guys : Goldstein and Big Brother.

Yes, spot on ... although I think you mean Silverstein.

VonCroy360
03-09-06, 13:39
I just watched it on the DVD for the third time couple of days ago.

5 years ago... I was 10 or 9, I just remember news the whole day about his and constant showing of the same footage (as there were no news), I wasn't really realising at that age, what it meant and why my parents were so shocked...
:(

jackles
03-09-06, 16:12
We have to keep on mind that the people who died that day had families and loved ones who really didn't need to see them jumping from the Twin Towers. The falling man documentary was interesting because it came to represent those who chose to take this path. The man wasn't conclusively identified if I remember correctly and the families were divided on the matter. No one ever knows how they will react in a life or death situation and its awful to think that these people had no chance.

The documentary about the stairwell is about fire fighters I think.

Jonnipants
03-09-06, 16:17
Ughh..I was 15 when it happened, I remember the next day in school, on public busses, everyone was in deep thought and looked a little sad. Seemed to have an impact on a lot of people all over ther world.

jarhead
03-09-06, 16:53
everyone was in shock and well the teachers were discussing war before it even entered the news.

and i want to see this documentary about the stairwell, i think it'll be quite good to watch.

and ive seen that loose change video on google videos

Paul H
03-09-06, 17:01
The amazing this is that only three steel framed buildings in the world have ever completely collapsed due to fire, and they were the three that collapsed on September 11. What is even more amazing is that one of them (building 7) was not hit by a plane at all.

Looking at the way those buildings just suddenly gave way and plummeted to the ground was reminiscent of those controlled demolitions that are carried out by placing explosives in key parts of the building. I believe the appropriate term the experts use is to "pull" the building.

So how uncanny that the building's owner, Larry Silverstein, said in an interview that he recommended that they "pull" the building and then said that that was what they went on to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6ufakK2fIc

So how did they get the explosives in? And, more importantly, when?

jarhead
03-09-06, 17:08
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-5946593973848835726&q=loose+change

i suggest you watch this

several weeks before 9/11 bomb sniffings dogs were pulled and shifts ended

Paul H
03-09-06, 17:22

i suggest you watch this

And I heard that the weekend before 9/11, the WTC buildings were closed so that computer cables could be installed. According to reports, all the power had to be shut down for this work, meaning that the CCTV system wasn't working.

I wonder why they needed to shut off the power just to install computer cables.

jarhead
03-09-06, 17:24
yer

theres to many coincidences

tr_mitch
03-09-06, 17:24

i suggest you watch this

I watched the whole of that ages ago, It was good viewing, theres a second one aswell.

Rivendell
03-09-06, 17:29
So how uncanny that the building's owner, Larry Silverstein, said in an interview that he recommended that they "pull" the building and then said that that was what they went on to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6ufakK2fIc

So how did they get the explosives in? And, more importantly, when?

Oh That Silverstein...

I did mean Goldstein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmanuel_Goldstein) ! It's more about Big Brother though..

Jacob x5
03-09-06, 17:33
Before the attack, an FBI agent (I think it was an FBI agent) saw an asian man who wanted to take flying lessons. The suspicious thing was that he wasn't interested in landing or taking off — he just wanted to know how to manoeuvre the aircraft when it was in the sky. The FBI agent reported this but it was ignored. Perhaps if they had looked further into it they could have foiled the attack.

Paul H
03-09-06, 17:35
h yesOh That Silverstein...

I did mean Goldstein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmanuel_Goldstein) ! It's more about Big Brother though..

Ah yes. Sorry, my mistake.

Cord_Croft
03-09-06, 18:51
No :( All over oil/religion/HATRED? awful and cant believe humanity ever allowed it to happen or let hatred get so bad :(

Angelx14
04-09-06, 16:45
Did anyone watch that 9/11 documentary on Channel 4 just now? It was two an a half hours long — I missed the first hour though.
No, because I don't live in England, so no. But I have seen it on discovery (few months ago), and it made me cry..That's really sad..:(

Autolycus
04-09-06, 17:35
I missed that on channel 4 but i've seen quite a few documentaries about what happened and it's very sad that they killed so many people and at the same time i feel so angry that some people have know respect for human life :mad:

tr_mitch
04-09-06, 20:05
Another documentary on channel 4 now. :)