PDA

View Full Version : My english grammar is an disaster

azumi_mm
03-09-06, 03:35
Yes, thats right my gramma totally sucks. But I'm still studying! I bought today a new book with lots of grammar exercises, so there is still hope...

Who is with me?

CerebralAssassin
03-09-06, 03:37
judging by your posts...your grammar is fine :confused:

xMiSsCrOfTx
03-09-06, 03:41
Your grammar seems pretty good to me, azumi. :tmb: I'm sure you'll learn some things from your book you just bought too though. Have fun with it! :p

frostfur452
03-09-06, 03:44
I think you're doing really well with your grammar :)

CerebralAssassin
03-09-06, 03:49
Yes, thats right my gramma totally sucks. But I'm still studying! I bought today a new book with lots of grammar exercises, so there is still hope...

Who is with me?

oh...one more thing...you know when people drop the "er" at the end of sentences...and instead write/say "a". Like,for instance, sometimes people say "masta" instead of "master"...well...you can't exactly do the same thing with the word "grammar".Cause "Gramma" is a totally different word...you just said that your grandmother totally sucks!!:D

azumi_mm
03-09-06, 04:11
My grammar looks good? Really? Then this must be all luck. :)

@ CerebralAssassin

You are trying to terrify me. Do you?

CerebralAssassin
03-09-06, 04:25
My grammar looks good? Really? Then this must be all luck. :)

@ CerebralAssassin

You are trying to terrify me. Do you?

nope!!:p

Shark_Blade
03-09-06, 07:44
your thread title: My English grammar is an disaster. Should be 'a'.

thepetemaster
03-09-06, 08:33
As long as you try - that's what counts. People that use txt speak - are exceptionally lazy.

Lone Raider
03-09-06, 08:53
Try:
"My english grammar a disaster is" you'll be in good company :p

jarhead
03-09-06, 09:51

i didnt even notice that :(

yes your grammar is fine, but mine isnt great at all ,

Greenkey2
03-09-06, 10:09
If you need any proof-reading doing I'm available :whi: :wve: My best advice would be to do a lot of reading to get the basics fully nailed.

My top three pet hates with grammer are:

*Learn or learnt instead of teach or taught - "my teacher learnt me to write" "will you learn me to do this?"

*Lend instead of borrow - "can I lend you a pencil?" Certainly! But I already have one thanks.

*txt spk - it are reli bad. :mad: :mad:

Lone Raider
03-09-06, 10:15
*Learn or learnt instead of teach or taught - "my teacher learnt me to write" "will you learn me to do this?"

*Lend instead of borrow - "can I lend you a pencil?" Certainly! But I already have one thanks.

First one: just baaad. ;)

the second one is a classical german mistake - stemming from the fact that "to lend" means "leihen" which is used both ways in the german language. "Borrow" means "borgen". Both german words mean exactly the same and can be used both ways. Took me ages to figure that out :)

third one - I don't mind. I think it's funny. Kind of back to the roots language - like hebrew, or egyptian, and other languages which don't use vowels.

Jacob x5
03-09-06, 10:26
People like you who are learning English tend to speak/write it better than the majority of English people nowadays.

jarhead
03-09-06, 10:28
People like you who are learning English tend to speak/write it better than the majority of English people nowadays.

yer ive noticed that, especially chatting to a few poeple on msn

VonCroy360
03-09-06, 10:48
Mine too. :mad: :)

But it's actually quite good when compared to my german grammar. :pi:

Lavinder
03-09-06, 11:17
If you need any proof-reading doing I'm available :whi: :wve: My best advice would be to do a lot of reading to get the basics fully nailed.

My top three pet hates with grammer are:

Gahhh, I hate it when people say "Can I lend you a pencil?" I always corrent them. No wonder some people hate me :p

Jacob x5
03-09-06, 13:14
No wonder some people hate me :p

Pffft. Yeah, the whole world's against you. :rolleyes:

psychokitten
03-09-06, 14:35
I'm always correcting my friend, he has a habit of saying things like "I was on the phone then I hanged up" instead of "hung up", and "I like these ones" instead of "I like these"...and my bloody mother-in-law is English and speaks the worst English I've ever heard!! She says "them ones" all the time and "I done this and I done that" Ugh.

I'm a grammar nazi :|

But to answer the original post...I think your grammar is fine too :) Though I did notice the thread title of 'an' instead of 'a' hehe

azumi_mm
03-09-06, 18:02

Thank you. I will try to read more.

Good to point out! :) Any correction advice is appreciate.

a disaster
an archaeologist

an audition = right?

Shark_Blade
03-09-06, 18:14
You got it right:tmb::D
edit:
oh and this...'archaeologist'

Neteru
03-09-06, 18:41
The wonderful thing about English is it's many quirks and frankly nonsensical rules. For example, you've just been posting about the difference between 'a' and 'an'.

A disaster
An archaeologist

So the rule is, if the word begins with a consonant, then it's preceded by an 'a'.

If it begins with a vowel, then it's preceded by an 'an'.

Unless of course it begins with an 'H', in which case, it's also 'an'. e.g. An hotel. An habitual offender.

Why? Search me! :D

Real Life Lara
03-09-06, 18:44
Unless of course it begins with an 'H', in which case, it's also 'an'. e.g. An hotel. An habitual offender.

o_O I never knew that :confused: I always thought it was 'a hotel' ...like it would only be 'an' if you pronounced it 'otel :p Meh.

Ward Dragon
03-09-06, 19:01
I believe the official rule is to use 'a' if the word starts with a consonant sound and to use 'an' if the word starts with a vowel sound. So, you would say 'a hotel' because the h is pronounced in hotel. However, you would say 'an hour' because 'hour' is pronounced like 'our' without the h. That's what my English teacher in high school said, anyway :p

tampi
03-09-06, 19:10
The wonderful thing about English is it's many quirks and frankly nonsensical rules. For example, you've just been posting about the difference between 'a' and 'an'.

A disaster
An archaeologist

So the rule is, if the word begins with a consonant, then it's preceded by an 'a'.

If it begins with a vowel, then it's preceded by an 'an'.

Why? Search me! :D

that is not an absurd rule, serves to avoid cacophony.

I am using a small program to understand better the writing and to facilitate my writing.
And I have to say you that this program to that better translates is to ........... tha mattster

Neteru
03-09-06, 19:22
Actually, you're right on the pronunciation there Ward. But it is still considered correct to write 'an' before a word beginning with 'h'. But as with many things in langues, it's largely a matter of convention I think. :)

But there are other variants with vowels.

You'd say 'a universal constant' rather than 'an universal constant'. That's the mish mash of the english language.

azumi_mm
03-09-06, 19:26
I am using a small program to understand better the writing and to facilitate my writing.

What is the name of this program?

tombraider123
03-09-06, 19:34

Who is with me?

It's better than mine and I still get passes in English written exams :)

Paul H
03-09-06, 19:39

That is true. There are many users of this forum from non English speaking countries whose English is remarkably good. I am very impressed with the high standard of sentence construction and correct punctuation shown by posters here.

tampi
03-09-06, 19:54
What is the name of this program?

Multitranse but is shareware and only I have 7 days of use left .
The program seems that it works better of the Spanish to the English.
Or it's that you write very rare.... :p
But always I must correct it. Translates 13 languages

this is Korean and says the last phrase
그러나, 번역한다13의 언어를 항상 나는 정정해야 한다

kangaxx
03-09-06, 19:59

Who is with me?

i am for sure with you friend:)

my english it's horrid.~
some times even me can't understend what i have writed..lol:cln:
but it depends, some days im write fine, other days it's just a disaster:hea:

Shark_Blade
03-09-06, 20:01
lol don't give up yet. Keep practising and you'll be good at it:hug: