PDA

View Full Version : Schools to offer cooking lessons.....what's new?

Greenkey2
03-09-06, 10:03
Children in England are to be offered cookery lessons as part of a scheme to improve their kitchen skills and diet. Full story from the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5309688.stm

The plan includes 24, one-hour lessons for 11 to 16 year olds. A 'license to cook' certificate will be awarded at the end ofthe course.

The question I want to ask is, surely schools have been offering cookery classes for decades?! :confused: Even I remember the tyranny of Domestic Sciences; otherwise known as "How to ruin a perfectly good meal". Am I missing something?

thepetemaster
03-09-06, 10:05
Perhaps it should be available to the people that cook the school dinners aswell? :pi:

jarhead
03-09-06, 10:06
yer my school did cooking classes since it began, yes it was often, who could burn the most stuff in an hour type game. sadly however i couldnt do cooking as i was doing otherstuff :( but i enjoyed it as was brilliant at it

Rivendell
03-09-06, 10:07
I had cookery as a compulsory lesson for three years in highschool! The lessons weren't that nice, seen as the teacher had the nickname Hitler..

tr_mitch
03-09-06, 10:07
I screwed up every single thing i made when we had to do cooking. :o
I just seriously haven't got a way with food.

Scottlee
03-09-06, 10:27
I still have nightmares about my school cookery lessons. I had to make apple pie one day and had no idea what I was doing. So embarrassing. In a way it was a bit like that old Warburtons advert where all the kids had to make bread, but only one succeeded (and it sure wasn't me).

scion05
03-09-06, 10:28
I love Food - Tech :D

Greenkey2
03-09-06, 10:30
I once got into a charming row with my cookery teacher when we made risotto. I had learnt how to cook rice back home but she was determined that it was not 'the proper way' so I had to scrap it and start again.

This time I followed her instructions to the letter and the result was closer to rice pudding than risotto :rolleyes:.

scion05
03-09-06, 10:38
Haha :vlol:

The teachers can be pains in the arse sometimes :p

CuteKittenlol
03-09-06, 10:50
We have cooking lessons, i hate them, I hate our old bat of a 'teacher'.
We made mashed potatoe and cheese once, i left it alone cooking and she shouted at me for leaving the stove unattended, even though she told us all to sit down!
And i managed to burn the potatoes apparantly o_O
No idea how i managed that XD

frostfur452
03-09-06, 11:03
we had cookin classes at school... I like cooking, I just hate it how everyone has to do it TOGETHER!!! I would have rather been given a recipe and left to my own devices instead of being told step by step... "put the butter in the pan"....."use the wooden spoon" type crap

jarhead
03-09-06, 11:05
we had cookin classes at school... I like cooking, I just hate it how everyone has to do it TOGETHER!!! I would have rather been given a recipe and left to my own devices instead of being told step by step... "put the butter in the pan"....."use the wooden spoon" type crap

yes , gimme any recipe and i'll have a pretty good try and ebnd up making something similar

my teacher knew that i could cook, but i hated that kinda talk. when the recipe says 'use a spoon', i'll use a spoon. i dont need to be told it twice

frostfur452
03-09-06, 11:13
yes , gimme any recipe and i'll have a pretty good try and ebnd up making something similar

my teacher knew that i could cook, but i hated that kinda talk. when the recipe says 'use a spoon', i'll use a spoon. i dont need to be told it twice

yup i reckon they only do it to seem more superior...
"look at me i am the teacher i can tell you what you probably already know" :P

jarhead
03-09-06, 11:15
yup i reckon they only do it to seem more superior...
"look at me i am the teacher i can tell you what you probably already know" :P

i managed to beat my teacher at whisking cream, and he went through this lenghy process of telling us how to knead bread when i already knew how to do it, i miss cookery classes, but it was a waste of time, we had a laugh but i already klnew how to do it

frostfur452
03-09-06, 11:21
i managed to beat my teacher at whisking cream, and he went through this lenghy process of telling us how to knead bread when i already knew how to do it, i miss cookery classes, but it was a waste of time, we had a laugh but i already klnew how to do it

I miss cookin classes too... I don't know how you guys had it set out but we had like 3 people to a benchtop... so everyone was always in someones way..

anyway this chick decided to put a really hot pot of cooked rice next to my arm!! OWCHIES!!! and well my arm reflexed from it and i ended up knocking the pot on the floor and rice went everywhere...

After that the teacher seemed to just have it in for me for the rest of the year. And the girl thought I was stupid cause she thought I just knocked it for the sake of it.

I really wish we were given harder recipes too... But I guess there's only soo much you can do in a one period time slot <_<

jarhead
03-09-06, 11:28
yer, we had the worktops round the outisde, then tables in the middle and we seperated eachother into our groups, so it was me and my ftriends in one group. 2 cookers, 1 sink between the one large table ( or group of friends)

we had a alugh, my friend tried to cook bread under the grill when she turned the grill on instead of the oven, someone decided to drop a saucepan into the washing up bowl whicoh had 3 glasses and a pyrex jug in it. i cooked a crumble which exploded and someones burnt a metal saucepan

Lavinder
03-09-06, 11:28
My cookery lessons was all about the salad. Salad. Who can not make salad? Stupid teachers.

frostfur452
03-09-06, 11:30
haha and how many salads do you know how to make now Lavidner?

ChocChipCookie
03-09-06, 11:32
I think we only had cookery classes at middle school. I did enjoy them but I seem to remember my mum being slightly annoyed, as I would often scoff the results before I got home :o:D

jarhead
03-09-06, 11:33
trust me making a good salad is well differcault

we wernt allowed knives to peel stuff, only to cut a few things, bit pointless really, since ive been helpinjg my mum cut stuff up since i was 5

Lavinder
03-09-06, 11:35
haha and how many salads do you know how to make now Lavidner?
Tons, loads of different varieties; Ohhh, but there was this one time that I made macaroni cheese and the salt dispenser broke and went all over it!!

In taster day (you know the ones where you get to 'try' out highschool and they use all the really good stuff that they never use when your actually in school) we got to make chocolate milkshake !! :p Highlight of my childhood.

scion05
03-09-06, 12:22
oh yes tasterday :D
I ate alot of food that day... i think i misread it as
" tastyday" lol

frostfur452
03-09-06, 12:24
:( we didn't get no taster day :(

jarhead
03-09-06, 12:26
nope me neither,

we must be the special ones, we only got to eat what we made

Sofitegan
03-09-06, 12:29
We didn't either, frostfur and jarhead. Yeah, we're "special" :D lol.

The cooking lessons at my school are always really pointless...

like, we made apple crumble, fair enough you might say... but we were told to stew the fruit at home. :rolleyes: And we made pizzas... but were told to make the bases at home. Most people i know just bought one from tescos on the way to school in the morning... what a waste of time. Also, my cooking teachers a stupid cow... shes about forty and she flirts with the twelve year olds in my class... *shudders*.

frostfur452
03-09-06, 12:31
We didn't either, frostfur and jarhead. Yeah, we're "special" :D lol.

The cooking lessons at my school are always really pointless...

like, we made apple crumble, fair enough you might say... but we were told to stew the fruit at home. :rolleyes: And we made pizzas... but were told to make the bases at home. Most people i know just bought one from tescos on the way to school in the morning... what a waste of time. Also, my cooking teachers a stupid cow... shes about forty and she flirts with the twelve year olds in my class... *shudders*.

WOW!!!... well i guess that's homework for ya lol

jarhead
03-09-06, 12:42
WOW!!!... well i guess that's homework for ya lol

lol, but they're usaing their brains though, buying a ready made one on the way

xMiSsCrOfTx
03-09-06, 14:11
I started taking cooking classes, or 'Foods Class'/'Home Economics' as they called it, back in the 7th grade! We learned a lot; desserts and meals and eating healthy. I think it was really beneficial, I can cook pretty well now just from taking a few months of that class. We didn't get a certificate or 'license' though.

Dingaling
03-09-06, 14:21
I remember my very first home economics cookery lesson - it was how to make a milkshake -_- The second lesson was an open sandwhich. I think a few lessons after that we actually started making real food. Whoever thought that making milkshakes and open sandwhiches was a good idea for Home Economics should be shot.

psychokitten
03-09-06, 14:29
Ahh Home Ec....I really really hated cooking class when I was in high school, and vividly remember accidentally setting fire to a grilled cheese sandwich on the first day, lol.

Didn't learn a thing there, but now I love cooking...although the eating part is more fun :P

Neteru
03-09-06, 18:14
I never once did cookery at school. ... and it shows. :D

Assassino
03-09-06, 18:28
Cooking?!
HA!:D
I flunked that class:D