PDA

View Full Version : Anyone disapointed with the new PS3 controller?

ingistefans
05-09-06, 11:46
Ok the PS3 vs XBOX 360 battle is now been for some while now, I have always enjoyed the XBOX controller, (that is, my friends XBOX controller, I have a PS2) it fits in your hand and its easy to play first person shooter... witch is something Playstation has NEVER had. Lets face it, the ps2 controller is horrible for good accuracy, expecially if your in a hurry.

I find it funny that they dont seem to have changed it at all, make it fit the palm better and make the analog stick MUCH better, but maeby the Tilt-sensor will make up for that, who knows.

All I know is that Sony has lost my vote, Im going for the X-Box now, not PS3.

How about you guys?

RAID
05-09-06, 11:48
Still going for PS3. I have no problem with the PS controllers, besides PS3 has greater graphics and I already got my eyes set on some PS3 games.

UNDERTAKER
05-09-06, 11:49
Oh no, here we go again. You've started another war... :D

TR freak
05-09-06, 12:20
Whats wrong with PS controllers? I have no problem with them at all with any type of game. I love playing a good FPS on the PS2. The PS3 is going to absolutely own the 360 in almost every single way. I'm getting a PS3.

Rivendell
05-09-06, 13:11
:vlol: PS3 "lost your vote" because it's not got a new controller? ... :tmb: Ok then :tmb:

Personally I've never had any trouble at all with PS controllers. The Ps1 one was fine- ps2 had the sticks, which took some getting used to after about 6 years of D-pad, and now I'm used to it, I'm just glad I won't have to get to grips with a different feeling control pad !
Besides, a console has so much more to offer than an 'innovative' controller: which is one of the main things Nintendo seems to have gone for: and good for them, it looks like a lot of fun! I've just never seen the need to change for the sake of change / fix what's not broken!

:wve:

interstellardave
05-09-06, 13:32
This isn't to start trouble, as I will give both parties their due. The Sony dual-shock controller was the best controller ever, IMO. Elegant and designed perfectly. Right now, though, I think the 360 controller is better, I have to say. It just feels perfect in my hands and works beautifully for all types of games. It's really a very close call IMO. I cannot judge the PS3 controller until I use it...

MiCkiZ88
05-09-06, 13:36
This isn't to start trouble, as I will give both parties their due. The Sony dual-shock controller was the best controller ever, IMO. Elegant and designed perfectly. Right now, though, I think the 360 controller is better, I have to say. It just feels perfect in my hands and works beautifully for all types of games. It's really a very close call IMO. I cannot judge the PS3 controller until I use it...
ditto.. Personally I love the playstation controllers.. only problem was that with the ps2 controller there was some trouble with the back buttons.. they use to get stuck and that vibrating engine needs some tweaking cause my hands still shake.... :D

Atlantean-Squid
05-09-06, 13:41
I'm definitely getting a Wii. If I have the extra money and time, I might look into getting an XBox 360 too.

Samsdad
05-09-06, 13:51
ditto.. Personally I love the playstation controllers.. only problem was that with the ps2 controller there was some trouble with the back buttons.. they use to get stuck and that vibrating engine needs some tweaking cause my hands still shake.... :D

I had heard something about the new PS3 controllers not having vibration. Has anyone also heard that rumor?

K.J
05-09-06, 14:09
*preparing for war*

Yes, Samsdad. The PS3 controller will NOT include Dualshock. (correct me if i'm wrong)

TombRaiderLover
05-09-06, 14:26
I like the PS controllers. :confused:

Tombreaper
05-09-06, 14:42
Whats wrong with PS controllers? I have no problem with them at all with any type of game. I love playing a good FPS on the PS2. The PS3 is going to absolutely own the 360 in almost every single way. I'm getting a PS3.

Same here.

illuminati30
05-09-06, 14:59
I hated the Xbox controller, but the 360 controller is fantastic. Much better design.

I have to agree with you, i am disappointed in the PS3 controler. Most games now a days are controlled with the analouge stick, so why is it off to the side? :hea: When you pull the Xbox 360 trigger, it moves easy. Its like pulling a gun trigger, it just feels good. R1 and R2, and L1 and L2, just don't live it to it for me anymore.

Forwen
05-09-06, 15:25
I had heard something about the new PS3 controllers not having vibration. Has anyone also heard that rumor?

During E3 Sony confirmed that rumble feature is gone. Officially - because it'd mess with movement sensors, but as far as I remember the story behind is that Sony didn't work out an agreement with the group providing this option in time. Don't know if anything has changed since E3 though.

System Wars? Count me out. I don't get them.

Shark_Blade
05-09-06, 15:26
I'm not dissapointed. I didn't like the boomerang shape controller anyway, so no loss. It looks too weird and I just don't like the shape

Titanium
05-09-06, 15:46
I didnt like the boomerang shaped controller either, so I am pleased they change it back to the PS2 design :)

Quite a few people are unhappy it doesnt have dual shock, but if it did the censor on the controller wouldnt be accurate due to the shaking of the controller.

Mad Tony
05-09-06, 15:47
I'm glad the boomerang controller was sraped.
I hated the design.
I'm just fine with the current PS2 and the PS3 controller.

xMiSsCrOfTx
05-09-06, 15:47
I didn't like the boomerang one at all. Or the clunky Xbox controllers for that matter. My one and only favorite controller shape will always be the PS2 model. :D

Forwen
05-09-06, 15:49
Quite a few people are unhappy it doesnt have dual shock, but if it did the censor on the controller wouldnt be accurate due to the shaking of the controller.

Wii controler has both of these options.

Mad Tony
05-09-06, 15:50
Wii controler has both of these options.
But is in quite an awkward shape :p

Elysia
05-09-06, 15:54
I like playstation controller because they're small and I have small hands. XBOX and Nintendo controllers are too big for me - I had a really tough time playing with my friend's old N64 because my handspan meant I couldn't reach all the buttons when I needed to!

Titanium
05-09-06, 15:56
Its easy for the Wii controller due to its shape, while the PS3 controller really does not have room for both features. If they tried to put them both in, chances are they would effect each other.

TR freak
05-09-06, 15:58
I dont really care for vibration anyway. It didn't bother me having it with PS2 controller and it doesn't bother me not having it with PS3 controller.

Elysia
05-09-06, 15:58
I have to ask - does anyone actually *like* the vibrating controllers? The first thing I do in any game I am playing is turn the rumble feature off - it's irritating and completely superfluous to any game.

Forwen
05-09-06, 15:59
But is in quite an awkward shape :p

Oh? Well, I'm not an expert on motion sensors, so appparently I can't counter that.

Eidt:

I have to ask - does anyone actually *like* the vibrating controllers? The first thing I do in any game I am playing is turn the rumble feature off - it's irritating and completely superfluous to any game.

I'm among those few who don't mind the rumble feature being gone.

Mad Tony
05-09-06, 16:02
I don't turn the vibrating controller feature off (mainly because I can't be bothered! :p)
But it is slightly annoying if you're playing a soccer game and you're taking a penalty and it starts vibrating, which puts you off.

I don't mind the runble feature being gone either.

interstellardave
05-09-06, 16:09
Rumble is good when used properly... IMO it should only rumble when it makes sense too. If you're being issued a penalty in a sports game... NO. Tackling, being tackled... YES. Etc...

Shark_Blade
05-09-06, 16:13
I didnt like the boomerang shaped controller either, so I am pleased they change it back to the PS2 design :)

good point titanium:D

larastomb
05-09-06, 16:20
Speaking of PS3, im gonna ask for it for my b day. Need it ready for TR 8. Would have it for xmas but im not so excited about it coming about as im not a gaming addict.

Ward Dragon
05-09-06, 17:12
I've used a PS1 controller, a PS2 controller, an X-box small controller and an X-box large controller. The only one that felt comfortable to me was the X-box small controller. The analogue stick on the PS2 controller is positioned such that I have to stretch my hand to reach it and I get hand cramps, whereas it's right where my thumb rests naturally on the small X-box controller. I haven't used a 360 controller or a PS3 controller (obviously:p) so I can't say if those feel comfortable or not. I'm not getting a 360 or a PS3 anyway, though. I intend to get a PS2 just because it has a lot of games I want that aren't on PC.

I like playstation controller because they're small and I have small hands. XBOX and Nintendo controllers are too big for me - I had a really tough time playing with my friend's old N64 because my handspan meant I couldn't reach all the buttons when I needed to!

I have small hands too. Have you tried the small X-box controller? It's about half the size of the large one :)

Oh, I hate the rumble feature too because it always feels to me like the controller is falling apart in my hands and I don't want to break it.

Dingaling
05-09-06, 17:12
Rumble - if usually set it to on and only in few games did I really notice it so it's not bothering me that much that it's gone, however, it's possible an unofficial controller will come out with both rumble and tilt features.

As for the controller - I like it, I always have since I first picked it up. Altho' I wish they had kept the longer prongs for the controller, I have big hands :p

Samsdad
05-09-06, 18:13
Rumble is good when used properly... IMO it should only rumble when it makes sense too. If you're being issued a penalty in a sports game... NO. Tackling, being tackled... YES. Etc...

I agree. It can enhance the feel for the game if it is done right. I remember in TR1 in the Scion temple where it is falling down around your ears. The screen is jumping all over the place and a corresponding vibration in the controller would definaely fit.

@Elysia, have you tried the 360 controller. I have to confess that TRL was my trransition from the PC to the 360. (Couldn't afford to keep upgrading the computer). I have since really come to like the 360 controller and feel very comfortable with it.

illuminati30
05-09-06, 19:07
I didn't like the boomerang one at all. Or the clunky Xbox controllers for that matter. My one and only favorite controller shape will always be the PS2 model. :D

Xbox 360 controller is far from clunky though.

illuminati30
05-09-06, 19:11

That was quite some time ago. The Gamecube controller is excellent. Some of the way the games are made is great also. You never need to look at the controller in hand, its on screen. Xbox has taken some of these ideas. Look at Kameo on Xbox, controls very similar to metroid with the on screen display. GC controller was my favorite, but now its the Xbox 360 controller. For now anyway! Wii might change my opinion.

Trigger_happy
05-09-06, 20:06
can someone please post a piccy of the new and confirmed PS3 controller? I would like to see how its changed from the PS2 one, which was perfect. :D

Mad Tony
05-09-06, 20:16
can someone please post a piccy of the new and confirmed PS3 controller? I would like to see how its changed from the PS2 one, which was perfect. :D
It's basically the PS2 controller but it has a little Sony logo instead of the "select" and "start" button.
And it also has a USB port, where the wire is supposed to be.

Legend of Lara
07-09-06, 16:21
At least the new controller is better than the old space banana. *hint hint*

illuminati30
07-09-06, 16:45
I am sorry guys, i am not saying this to be mean, but its a huge let down, lets be honest about it, it just plain and simple stinks, and i have to say, that if people are happy with it, fair play to them, but i really think they should try out some better controllers, if they still love it then fine, but the trigger buttons are dreadful and the stick location is not good. With the 360 the trigger button is just that, it feels like pulling the trigger of a gun, which you usually do in a game anyway. Not pressing some flat button, and then wondering if it even pressed in. Shooting playing legend on PS2 was a bit tricky, it was not natural at all. Its far from nightmare stuff, but to say its perfect??? Get real!!! Having the D pad as the center controller! OK needed in PS days, not now! Try playing Legend on the PS2, then try on the 360, you will notice a vast improvement control wise. Also having X O and Triangle. and square, is not so good. The 360 controller has clearly coloured icons, This is much better.

However, the tilt motion thing may help, but if we were talking about computer keyboards, the PS2/3 controller is like using some old clunky keyboard, were as the 360 one is like a soft touch, natural key board with wrist support.

Here is my run down of best current controllers lol

1) Xbox 360
2) Gamecube
3) PS2
4) Xbox

This may change soon :D

Mad Tony
07-09-06, 16:46
I am sorry guys, i am not saying this to be mean, but its a huge let down, lets be honest about it, it just plain and simple stinks, and i have to say, that if people are happy with it, fair play to them, but i really think they should try out some better controllers, if they still love it then fine, but the trigger buttons are dreadful and the stick location is not good. With the 360 the trigger button is just that, it feels like pulling the trigger of a gun, which you usually do in a game anyway. Not pressing some flat button, and then wondering if it even pressed in. Shooting playing legend on PS2 was a bit tricky, it was not natural at all. Its far from nightmare stuff, but to say its perfect??? Get real!!! Having the D pad as the center controller! OK needed in PS days, not now! Try playing Legend on the PS2, then try on the 360, you will notice a vast improvement control wise. Also having X O and Triangle. and square, is not so good. The 360 controller has clearly coloured icons, This is much better.

However, the tilt motion thing may help, but if we were talking about computer keyboards, the PS2/3 controller is like using some old clunky keyboard, were as the 360 one is like a soft touch, natural key board with wrist support.

Here is my run down of best current controllers lol

1) Xbox 360
2) Gamecube
3) PS2
4) Xbox

This may change soon :D
I agree with you.
I've never used an Xbox or Xbox 360 before until I got one yesterday, and it's really easy to get used to.
I like it.

Grenade
07-09-06, 16:47
I love the Xbox 360 controller a lot, and the small Xbox controller, they're comfortable for me to use, IMO. I've used both the PS controller and PS2 and they don't feel right. They're a little small. And I don't like where the left analogue stick is either, it should be where the d-pad is. :)

illuminati30
07-09-06, 16:54
I agree with you.
I've never used an Xbox or Xbox 360 before until I got one yesterday, and it's really easy to get used to.
I like it.

I absolutely hated the Xbox controller, although i had a crystal one, it was big, it was clunky. and i couldn't even read what was written on it, and there were buttons every where. I don't think that helped at all! Tried to play Doom 3 and it was a bloody nightmare! I hated the console for this reason!

Then Legend went to 360 and i just felt like getting something new. I tried the controller in the shop, and i was like 'wooo hang on a second, this feels good, pretty bloody good indeed.' I liked it even more than the GC controller and it was by far my favorite at the time. In general, the 360 is a vast improvement in every way from the Xbox. Well for me anyway. All the Xbox haters should give it a try for the shock of their life.

interstellardave
07-09-06, 17:01
A lot of people who've used it agree--the 360 controller is the best one right now. I'm in that category.

Mad Tony
07-09-06, 17:05
A lot of people who've used it agree--the 360 controller is the best one right now. I'm in that category.
Yeah.
I never thought i'd like the Xbox 360 controller.
I mean, A,B,X and Y?
But I like it, it's got a good feel to it.

illuminati30
07-09-06, 17:41
Yeah.
I never thought i'd like the Xbox 360 controller.
I mean, A,B,X and Y?
But I like it, it's got a good feel to it.

Quite a trend here hehe

Congrats on new machine :tmb:

Samsdad
07-09-06, 18:10
I brought the 360 when it first came out. I had always played Tr on the computer but just couldn't keep upgrading. I wanted to get used to the controller so i brought COD2 as a trainer. By the end of the game the controller was second nature. When TRL came out I enjoyed the hell out of playing it. When the complaints on the control system started showing up, I was like what the hell is going on? I saw no problems. Then I realized that it was mostly PC players complaining so I chalked it up to different systems.

The 360 controller is the best that I have ever used. I have used the PS2 and the gamecube also

Ward Dragon
07-09-06, 20:47
I have a question about the 360 controller. How is it different from the small Xbox controller? I haven't used a 360 controller, but it looks like the small Xbox controller with the white and black buttons moved near the triggers. Does it feel very different?

Hybrid Soldier
07-09-06, 20:54

Especially after they stole the motion sensor idea from Nintendo.... :p

To be honest, i prefer the GC controls over ANY system. It's comfortable and there aren't fifty-million buttons.

360 controller is alright though.

ingistefans
08-09-06, 12:14
Oh no, here we go again. You've started another war... :D

Sorry, havent been here in a while:P

ILG49ers
08-09-06, 15:09
The controller has the same great design Iím used to playing with, so Iím really happy with the PS3 controller. The fact that it doesnít have the vibration function anymore isnít that big of a deal to me.

illuminati30
08-09-06, 15:13
The controller has the same great design Iím used to playing with, so Iím really happy with the PS3 controller. The fact that it doesnít have the vibration function anymore isnít that big of a deal to me.

It's always good to try new things, like spinage. The problem is people are too used to it, but if they gave something else a try, they would see there is a lot better out there.

Leon xXx
08-09-06, 23:24
Whats the point to be dissapointed with ps3 or any other controllers?

I mean, for the first time you bought a new console, you play the game on your new console with the new controller, get used to it for 5 or 10 mins, thats it.