PDA

View Full Version : Yet another blow for Sony - and Euro gamers!

thepetemaster
06-09-06, 08:36
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5319190.stm

PlayStation 3 Euro launch delayed

The launch of Sony's long-awaited PlayStation 3 games console in Europe has been delayed until March 2007.
Ken Kutaragi, head of Sony's global computer entertainment division, said the machine would still be launched in November in the US and in Japan.

Mr Kutaragi blamed the European delay on problems in mass producing elements of the high-definition Blu-ray disc drives in the machines.

Sony said it still aimed to ship six million new PlayStations by March.

-------------------------------------------------

Looks like the delay in manufacturing has really hurt them. What will a March release do in the race for next-gen supremecy? That's alot of people who will be getting 360's under the tree instead perhaps?

Satu
06-09-06, 09:28
Well that's a blow for anyone wanting to get it in Europe.

Microsoft will definately rubbing their hands together this Christmas.

I'ts still being released in Australia on time but with such a hefty price it will be a while before I buy it.

VonCroy360
06-09-06, 09:31
:yik: Now I'm getting a 360 out of protest... :hea:

I'm not really... :pi:

TR freak
06-09-06, 10:06
Well this doesn't really affect me. I planned on getting my PS3 in february anyway. I'll definitely have plenty of time to save up for it now. Thats the reason I wasn't getting it in november. Now I'll certainly be able to afford it when its released and I can even afford to treat myself to a couple PS2 games before its released.

Cochrane
06-09-06, 10:10
You can literally hear all the blue-ray industry screaming. They were aiming to introduce Blue Ray here with the PS3 as their only player. That will get difficult now.

Rivendell
06-09-06, 10:52
Lmao delayed again?? Oh well, even after it's released I'm not going to be able to afford it for months anyway!

interstellardave
06-09-06, 10:54
We also have this:

"In the U.S., about 400,000 PlayStation 3 machines will be available when they go on sale Nov. 17. About 100,000 will be available on the Nov. 11 Japan launch date."

Excerpted from an article here: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1310AP_Japan_Sony_PlayStation.html

Only 500,000 at launch! And who now can believe their timetable for the future after launch?

*Tries very hard to refrain from saying "Blue Ray was a mistake"... fails, obviously...*

Ah, Sony, you have perhaps bitten off more than you can chew with your continued "pie in the sky" promises... :pi:

tombraider123
06-09-06, 11:43
Sony are anoying me now. It's delayed again! It's not looking good for Sony

badboy70
06-09-06, 11:49
i'm getting a Wii anyways :D

MiCkiZ88
06-09-06, 11:54
i dont mind it being delayed.. i wasnt going to get one soon anyway.
but still im going to get ps3 rather than xbox360 :)

scoopy_loopy
06-09-06, 11:55
at nearly 1 grand I certainly cant afford one anyway. It'll be years before I can buy one, even if it is realeased on time in Australia.

UNDERTAKER
06-09-06, 12:14
Not even the Sony fanboys can say this looks good for Sony.

Microsoft must be laughing their asses off. The 360 owns the European xmas market - and that's one big ass market!

RIP Sony?

interstellardave
06-09-06, 12:22
Not even the Sony fanboys can say this looks good for Sony.

Microsoft must be laughing their asses off. The 360 owns the European xmas market - and that's one big ass market!

RIP Sony?

Not only that, but did you see the launch figures for the US and Japan? 400,000 and 100,000 respectively. There will be a lot of people who thought they'd get one at launch who will now be wondering just how long they will have to wait... and how many will just go to the shelves and buy a 360, a Wii, or both--just as Moore predicted?

UNDERTAKER
06-09-06, 12:30
And how many of those US and Japan units will be faulty? My guess is quite a large percentage if these manufacturing problems are anything to go by.

Now, I also hear that PS3 HD cables are sold seperately! So you pay all that money for a "true" hi-definition console and when you finally get it, you still have to fork out additional money for HD cables. Ridiculous!

I can't understand Sony this time round. Too many mistakes.

And when PS3 is released in Europe in March what does it walk into? Halo 3!

CoxyAppo
06-09-06, 12:42
i wasnt getting 1 untill next year anyway but it always seems to be us that misses out. i'm disapointed sony.

K.J
06-09-06, 12:44
And how many of those US and Japan units will be faulty? My guess is quite a large percentage if these manufacturing problems are anything to go by.

Now, I also hear that PS3 HD cables are sold seperately! So you pay all that money for a "true" hi-definition console and when you finally get it, you still have to fork out additional money for HD cables. Ridiculous!

I can't understand Sony this time round. Too many mistakes.

And when PS3 is released in Europe in March what does it walk into? Halo 3!

So true.
Great news:)
Hopefully Xbox 360 and Wii can get some more owners this christmas.

TR freak
06-09-06, 13:07
Heres a question. How many games that were intended for the PS3 this year did you intend on getting? My answer is zero. The games I want for PS3 are coming out late 2007. GTA 4, RE5, untitled naughtydog game, possibly TR8. No other PS3 games interest me other than these. Well sonic the hedgehog is sort of interesting to me but not very much. Its not a big loss for me in that way as the games I want come out late 2007.

thepetemaster
06-09-06, 13:18
Unless you are one of the lucky ones, I doubt you will lay your hands on one in March anyway. There will no doubt be a shortage, just like every other console launch. Most people will have to wait for a second shipment, I'm guessing between May and June.

Mad Tony
06-09-06, 13:36
I'm in need of advice here.
At the moment I can afford an Xbox 360 easy, and probably afford a few games with it. And if start saving as soon I get the Xbox 360 (possibly today) then I might be able to get a PS3 by my birthday in July.
What should I do?

interstellardave
06-09-06, 13:44
At the moment I can afford an Xbox 360 easy, and probably afford a few games with it. And if start saving as soon I get the Xbox 360 (possibly today) then I might be able to get a PS3 by my birthday in July.
What should I do?

I think you will not regret buying an XBox 360. Those of us on the forum who actually have one like it very much. There are some really good games out, although it's your personal choice which ones you want, of course. You should get the premium package though... then, sure, save up for a PS3 over time. It will likely be quite a while before you'll even have the opportunity to get one of those--and perhaps longer before you'll really feel like you have to get one (when the really great games come out).

illuminati30
06-09-06, 13:55
What should I do?

What are Sony playing at?

The 360 is brilliant and good value for money. Don't buy the core package though, thats getting shafted, you will want all the extras as time goes on. If you ask me the hard drive really does help with games like oblivion regarding loading times. Plus you will be able to play all the old Xbox games and connect to Xbox live.

Take it from me, its a bloody brilliant console. I am someone who hated Xbox! Never thought i would like one. I can't see the PS3 and 360 being that much different to be honest. I would say, if you want to play in next gen now, get a 360, and perhaps get the PS3 when the price comes down, in about 5 years from now. :yik:

Natla'd
06-09-06, 14:00
"But he said Sony had decided to focus on the US and Japan in the run-up to Christmas."

Charming! Surely they have enough people to sort all the problems out? Why the hell are we the ones getting done over?

My mother was going to get a PS3. I don't know when she was planning to buy it, but, if that machine isn't out by the time The Getaway 3 is, there's going to be hell to play. And by hell, I mean, I'm going to come on here and complain more frequently. ;)

illuminati30
06-09-06, 14:03
They once said this...

David Reeves, head of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe said at the time: "This is an exciting first for Europe, and is a huge endorsement and vote of confidence in the strength of the European market and its importance globally."

And the strength of it they will feel.

thepetemaster
06-09-06, 14:07
Well, it was just at the Leipzig Convention, only last week, that Sony announced that production had yet to even start - not a good sign when the launch is 3 months away. And now this announcement. Well colour me surprised!!! ;)

interstellardave
06-09-06, 14:08
People scoffed at me when I said--months ago--that Sonys whole strategy is one of dishonesty. They promise the moon and the stars for as long as they can... until they get caught with their pants down about something, as they are here. It's all a very poorly disguised attempt to keep people on the hook for the PS3 (whenever the hell you'll really be able to get one) instead of buying a 360, which is readily available and has been for many months. Sadly, that strategy of misinformation works with a lot of the traditional PS1 and PS2 fans. I'm a PS1 and PS2 fan myself... but I'm not buying their line of BS, no no...

raiderfun
06-09-06, 14:12
:jmp: :jmp: :jmp: :jmp: :jmp: :jmp: :jmp:
Goood newwwwwwwwss !!!!!!!!!
It will make the others buying the wii , :yah: :yah: :yah:

illuminati30
06-09-06, 14:15
:jmp: :jmp: :jmp: :jmp: :jmp: :jmp: :jmp:
Goood newwwwwwwwss !!!!!!!!!
It will make the others buying the wii , :yah: :yah: :yah:

:vlol:

I will say no more :whi:

illuminati30
06-09-06, 14:18
People scoffed at me when I said--months ago--that Sonys whole strategy is one of dishonesty.

I can't see myself ever scoff at you, unless you say something I really don't like, which i very much doubt would happen :D Those who scoff at you are fools! Fools! i say!

<takes a chill pill> :D

interstellardave
06-09-06, 14:20
I can't see myself ever scoff at you, unless you say something I really don't like, which i very much doubt would happen :D Those who scoff at you are fools! Fools! i say!

<takes a chill pill> :D

Yeah, not you, but Sony apologizers--of which there are many! You know what, I'm excited about the Wii... that will be my main holiday purchase, along with Mario Galaxy and a couple other games. What's coming out for the Wii launch?

raiderfun
06-09-06, 14:24
enough of sony :pi:
Now , it's the nintendo revolution :yah:

illuminati30
06-09-06, 14:38
Yeah, not you, but Sony apologizers--of which there are many! You know what, I'm excited about the Wii... that will be my main holiday purchase, along with Mario Galaxy and a couple other games. What's coming out for the Wii launch?

I don't think Mario Galaxy has been confirmed for launch lol

Not sure of them all, but Zelda, Metroid Prime 3, Rayman, Red Steel (which i can't wait for)

See here Dave http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/730/730221p1.html

Not sure how many are confirmed for line up though.

interstellardave
06-09-06, 14:45
I've never been the biggest Zelda fan but, of all the launch games, it stands out to me as one I'd buy. For me, though, I'll be excited when the Mario game comes out--and I'd give anything for Pikmin 3!!!

thepetemaster
06-09-06, 14:50
Well Banjo-Threeie (?) has been announced Dave - but XBox I'm guessing.

The Wii can give itself a major boost now - and then Sony may find themselves in real trouble - being the highest priced, and the longest delayed.

UNDERTAKER
06-09-06, 15:08
Think about it this way - Europeans can now use their PS3 money to buy an Xbox 360 AND a Wii this xmas.

Makes you think doesn't it...

Natla'd
06-09-06, 15:11
Think about it this way - Europeans can now use their PS3 money to buy an Xbox 360 AND a Wii this xmas.

That doesn't comfort me. You can't play The Getaway 3 on an Xbox 360, or a Wii. :p

K.J
06-09-06, 15:15

Yes it does:D Getting a Wii on launch and a 360 on 17.November=)

illuminati30
06-09-06, 15:39
I've never been the biggest Zelda fan but, of all the launch games, it stands out to me as one I'd buy. For me, though, I'll be excited when the Mario game comes out--and I'd give anything for Pikmin 3!!!

I have not been a big Zelda fan since the SNES version, but they promise this to be the biggest and best to date. I hope it is. It looks pretty cool, and i can't wait to use the Wiimote as the sword :cln:

Its really Metroid Prime 3 i am looking forward to. Using the electronic grapple to grapple off the steal doors, and chuck them away like there are some piece of useless crap, all the while motioning it, looks sooo satisfying :jmp: First Metroid was fantastic, second still good, but a little too dark for me. I am sure they will have listened to what people want, unlike some :(

Can't wait for red steel, and Rayman Raving Rabbids looks a scream, but hey UBISOFT, what more can i say! ;)

Dingaling
06-09-06, 15:52
WHAT?!

I am suing them for psychological damage now. Just cos we're Europeans (or Russia or Middle Eastern or African and/or Australasian) we don't get the bloody same priority as everyone else. This is absolute bollocks.

TR freak
06-09-06, 15:54

I would never have two consoles from the same generation. Thats why after I got my PS2 I never got an Xbox. I intend on getting one console for next gen and one only. I made my mind up a long time ago that console would be the PS3. Thats not going to change. I'm sure the 360 is a brilliant console but its just not as good as the PS3 so I can wait till march for my PS3. Besides the only game for the 360 it looks like I'd like atm is saints row as its a GTA rip off. No other 360 games out atm seem like my type of game. Neither do any of the launch PS3 titles. The main games I'm looking forward to for next gen consoles come out late 2007. Plus a couple PS2 games I'm looking forward to are sega megadrive collection, bully (now canis canim edit) and trae.

illuminati30
06-09-06, 15:55
WHAT?!

I am suing them for psychological damage now.

LOL!

I wouldn't be surprised if some people tried to! Seeing as PS3 is living, and none of us are alive until we get one!

Does it mean that much to you? Get a 360 and put your self out of this pain LOL

Dingaling
06-09-06, 15:58
I would but I don't want a 360. It doesn't have Tekken - and Tekken is a love of mine, LoL. If Tekken moves to 360, I'd probably buy it.

Stupid idiots at Sony. I could really kill something right bloody now. Does anyone want to die right now cos I'd be quite happy to kill you* -_-

*PLease note that this was a joke, do not PM me asking me to kill you. Unless of course you pay me quite a lot of money, I may consider it :p

EDIT: Seems because of the delay I may be ending up with an Xbox 360 and a PS3, LoL. My mum said after she heard the news (she was phoning GAME about Tekken: Dark Resurrection and asked about the PS3 which I think we ended up hearing about at the same time, LoL) she said I could get an Xbox (and she was talking about the 360) with the HDTV I'm supposed to be getting for my birthday (on the 19th of this month), Wooo! :D

Agent 47
06-09-06, 16:50
:hea: SONY!!!!!!!! DIE!!!!! :cen: :mad:

now that's out of the way.....

fellow Sony fans (i exclude 360 defectors), this delay could be a blessing in disquise for us Europeans..........it means come the US and Japanese launch,they get all the faulty machines, whereby Europe on the whole could have the luxury of the perfected machine :D

i'm peeved like other Sony fans, but items of this nature do get delayed, all the people defecting or wanting to kill are just impatient, whereas the delay for us could be good in the long run.........all i care about is the UK getting a reliable gaming product that is fault free.......i don't care how many times the US & Japese released PS3 explodes and has faults aplenty, those regions aren't my concern.

but i will say this though, Sony, you have dissapointed Europe YET again and you don't deserve to be gamings market leader ANYMORE, you should bow your heads in shame and give Europe a cheaper price point in March by way of an apology for pi**ing us off AGAIN!!!

i wish the Nintendo Wii every success this November in all the regions it gets released..........as long as it takes sales away 360 and does maximum damage, the Sony delay is forgivable, but only just.

i'll still purchase a PS3, but i'll also do my bit and buy a Wii for my nephew, he likes Ninty games so i'll get him one for birthday/christmas combined .........:jmp:

interstellardave
06-09-06, 16:57
Ahhh... nevermind.

Legend of Lara
06-09-06, 16:59
What... did you say? :eek:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :hea::yik::hea::yik:
WHY SONY? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!?!?!?!???

It's a tough world for a fanboy. :(

laras_2006
06-09-06, 17:30
I thought that I would never grow out of gaming but waiting for the next Tomb Raider game to see if it meats up to my standards is what is keeping me into gaming.

Since the late 90's (98) I have been playing on playstation 1, and then I got playstation 2 which I like very much. Just recently I re-bought Tomb Raider: Angel Of Darkness because Tomb Raider: Legend is a load of !!!!"B:cen: :cen: :cen: :cen: :cen: :cen: t"!!!! which belongs in hell dew (sorry for my spelling) to the fact that CD are destorying TR (Which I thought I would never say because I use to like TR:L) far from Core-Design ever did.

I thought about waiting until the PS3 goes around £150 to £250 cheaper but I now hear that they are delying the DAM PS3. This is making me want to blow up every Sony offices and HQ so that they do not exist anymore. I know that I will get a death sentence even in the UK if I do this, but I don't care anymore as this is the last straw for me. If it wasn't for the fact that Sony had Tomb Raider to build the status of its Playstation up to what it is today then Sony would be bankcurput.

P.S: Great Song For !!!!"B:cen: :cen: :cen: :cen: :cen: :cen: t"!!!! Sony:

LadyTron: Destroy Everything You Touch. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2XCOptBV1Y)

Mad Tony
06-09-06, 18:27
Folks, I have brought an Xbox 360 Premium package!
The good thing is, i'll still be able to get the PS3 when it comes out! :)

interstellardave
06-09-06, 18:34
Folks, I have brought an Xbox 360 Premium package!
The good thing is, i'll still be able to get the PS3 when it comes out! :)

Great! What games did you get with it? BTW, backwards-compatability is NOT universal, so don't go buying a bunch of cheap XBox games thinking you can play them--you may or may not be able to (Check Xbox.com). They're adding new games all the time to the backwards-compatibility list though.

So, anyway, what games did you get, or are you thinking of getting?

Mad Tony
06-09-06, 18:39
Great! What games did you get with it? BTW, backwards-compatability is NOT universal, so don't go buying a bunch of cheap XBox games thinking you can play them--you may or may not be able to (Check Xbox.com). They're adding new games all the time to the backwards-compatibility list though.

So, anyway, what games did you get, or are you thinking of getting?

I got Top Spin 2. Which is awesome.
And Fifa 06. Which I haven't played yet.
I really like the Xbox 360.
I managed to set it up quite easily.

interstellardave
06-09-06, 18:43

I'm in year 4 of my career in Top Spin 2... great game!

Lara's Boy
06-09-06, 18:45
Well, this news only makes it easier for me to switch over to the 360 camp. They way I see it (now), both systems will be suitably equal, so why fork out so much for a potentially faulty system, when I can pay much less for a console that is just as good/better?

I think I have officially left 'Sony Only' land :p

Mad Tony
06-09-06, 18:48
Well, this news only makes it easier for me to switch over to the 360 camp. They way I see it (now), both systems will be suitably equal, so why fork out so much for a potentially faulty system, when I can pay much less for a console that is just as good/better?

I think I have officially left 'Sony Only' land :p
Same here :D
Although I will still purchase the PS3.

illuminati30
06-09-06, 20:48
EDIT: Seems because of the delay I may be ending up with an Xbox 360 and a PS3, LoL. My mum said after she heard the news (she was phoning GAME about Tekken: Dark Resurrection and asked about the PS3 which I think we ended up hearing about at the same time, LoL) she said I could get an Xbox (and she was talking about the 360) with the HDTV I'm supposed to be getting for my birthday (on the 19th of this month), Wooo! :D

Bloody hell, i get 20 quid in a card if i am lucky!

Scottlee
06-09-06, 20:50
This news isn't so bad.

We might have more chance of getting Vice City Stories on the PS2 now :D

illuminati30
06-09-06, 20:52
It's a tough world for a fanboy. :(

Don't be one! It should be easy for you! Sony are in the majority! Think about that again :tea:

thepetemaster
06-09-06, 20:56
Don't be one! It should be easy for you! Sony are in the majority! Think about that again :tea:

Everyone is safe! - look at the Sega fanboys - they bounced back :jmp:

Sony will too. :p

illuminati30
06-09-06, 20:59

Congrats! I just bout Prey! A sorry to a certain someone here, i was supposed to buy something else, but i was in tesco, and its all the had, and i just really wanted to play with some thing new tonight!

Anyway, check out Prey, Elder Scrolls 4 : Oblivion, Dead Rising, and also watch out for Halo 3, Gears of War, Just Cause, Assasins Creed, Sonic, Alan Wake, :jmp: So much out there.

Congrats on your new machine! ;)

illuminati30
06-09-06, 21:01
Everyone is safe! - look at the Sega fanboys - they bounced back :jmp:

Sony will too. :p

He He, Sega rock! They still make brilliant games!

Grenade
06-09-06, 21:28
Congrats on your 360 Mad Tony. It's an awesome console. :tmb: I've only played the Top Spin demo. It's actually very good, and I love the graphics. :)

Angel666
06-09-06, 23:59
:hea: SONY!!!!!!!! DIE!!!!! :cen: :mad:

I think Sony has killed itself. This is why I'm getting the Wii. :D I've had two PS2's in 2 years. I got my second one just last march and it already doesn't play DVD's. GO WII!

Lenochka
07-09-06, 00:24
oh my... :eek:Settle down guys... no need to freak out, its a video game console. I couldnt care less actually i like sony but i think they dug there own grave...

Mad Tony
07-09-06, 06:18
Congrats! I just bout Prey! A sorry to a certain someone here, i was supposed to buy something else, but i was in tesco, and its all the had, and i just really wanted to play with some thing new tonight!

Anyway, check out Prey, Elder Scrolls 4 : Oblivion, Dead Rising, and also watch out for Halo 3, Gears of War, Just Cause, Assasins Creed, Sonic, Alan Wake, :jmp: So much out there.

Congrats on your new machine! ;)

Thanks.
I might ask for Elder Scrolls for Christmas.
I'm now saving up all my money for the PS3 (as I still have mine pre-ordered)
I tried to install Elder Scrolls on PC, but I didn't have the recomended specs.

Nephili
07-09-06, 06:22
Hmm at least it will give me a little more time to save up for it! :D

lita212
07-09-06, 10:58
lol i saw that on the news yesturday lol it was sooo funny this teenage boy was well gutted lol "oh what! god they always do that" lol

interstellardave
07-09-06, 11:23

I have been betrayed!!! :(

LOL, no, just kidding... Prey is supposedly pretty good. It's another good PC title that us non-PC folks can now play because the 360 has it! That's a benefit that people overlook. :)

Samsdad
07-09-06, 13:52
The launch numbers for the Ps3 are way down also. They are only going to have 100.000 for Japan on Nov 11 and 400,000 fo the US by nov 17. Sony originally wantesd to have 4 million units by the end of the year. The blame is on the blu-ray drive production.

UNDERTAKER
07-09-06, 14:06
I also heard that, while PS3 is capable of 1080p, no games for the current forseeable future will support it due to unplayable framerates at that resolution. The only game which supports 1080p is Gran Turismo HD but that is nothing more than a souped up PS2 tech demo.

Sony have been trumpeting 1080p for ages now but none of it's games will actually support it!

interstellardave
07-09-06, 14:14
I also heard that, while PS3 is capable of 1080p, no games for the current forseeable future will support it due to unplayable framerates at that resolution. The only game which supports 1080p is Gran Turismo HD but that is nothing more than a souped up PS2 tech demo.

Sony have been trumpeting 1080p for ages now but none of it's games will actually support it!

Plus how many people have TV's to display it--or will in the next 5 years, for that matter? I mean, most people still don't have an HDTV let alone one that can display 1080p... none of these things are exactly cheap. Market-wise I think 1080p is just another tag-line to make the PS3 and Blu-Ray sound superior. I think Sony have put themselves into a small niche category this time around, while MS have made themselves more mainstream.

Dingaling
07-09-06, 15:21
Market-wise I think 1080p is just another tag-line to make the PS3 and Blu-Ray sound superior.

I may have mis-read this (given how tired I am it's a high possibility) but 1080p is superior to 1080i (maybe not by a gazillion miles but still superior) even if it is pretty expensive. It's like saying a computer with specs of 5GHz, 1TB HDD and 5GB RAM isn't as superior as my computer of 3.2GHz, 300GB and 1GB RAM just because it's more expensive.

And again, apologies if I misread, not in a comprehending mood right now, LoL.

Oh, and yes, still in my "Kill Sony" mood right now :D

Legend of Lara
07-09-06, 15:39
I'm calming down now. At least the sudden (and sad) delay gives Sony more time to tune the PS3. Sort out the glitches (and the Sonic the Hedgehog control system...) and such. *forced smile*

interstellardave
07-09-06, 15:43
I may have mis-read this (given how tired I am it's a high possibility) but 1080p is superior to 1080i (maybe not by a gazillion miles but still superior) even if it is pretty expensive. It's like saying a computer with specs of 5GHz, 1TB HDD and 5GB RAM isn't as superior as my computer of 3.2GHz, 300GB and 1GB RAM just because it's more expensive.

And again, apologies if I misread, not in a comprehending mood right now, LoL.

Oh, and yes, still in my "Kill Sony" mood right now :D

Well yes, it is superior, but right now it's like Laserdisc used to be (and stayed as a matter of fact) superior, but not for the masses. So, market-wise, it's just something that a vast majority of people won't be able to take advantage of but still sounds good as a sales pitch. Like commercials that not-so-subtlely play on the idea that if you drink a certain beer, eat a certain candy bar, or use a certain product you'll be irresistable to hot women everywhere, lol! You can buy the product but will you get the stated or merely implied benefits of it? ;)

UNDERTAKER
07-09-06, 15:45
I'm calming down now. At least the sudden (and sad) delay gives Sony more time to tune the PS3. Sort out the glitches (and the Sonic the Hedgehog control system...) and such. *forced smile*

That's all fine and dandy but what about Japan and America? They get bugged systems?

UNDERTAKER
07-09-06, 15:46
Well yes, it is superior, but right now it's like Laserdisc used to be (and stayed as a matter of fact) superior, but not for the masses. So, market-wise, it's just something that a vast majority of people won't be able to take advantage of but still sounds good as a sales pitch. Like commercials that not-so-subtlely play on the idea that if you drink a certain beer, eat a certain candy bar, or use a certain product you'll be irresistable to hot women everywhere, lol! You can buy the product but will you get the stated or merely implied benefits of it? ;)

Doesn't matter if it's superior or not. If no games support it and no one has the TV to display it, then what's the use?

thepetemaster
07-09-06, 15:46
The good news is - there should be a bigger selection of launch games for us Euro mugs. I really think it is going to hurt their stand in Europe though. And what about the the PS2 market in that new 4 month window? How many developers were planning on pumping out new material in this time? I can't see the PS2 being supported for long, especially when all three next-gen systems are up and running.

interstellardave
07-09-06, 15:47
That's all fine and dandy but what about Japan and America? They get bugged systems?

Yeah, all 200,000 americans that want to wait in huge lines in the hopes of getting one! The other 200,000 systems will sell on Ebay for $1200.00 each! :cln:

thepetemaster
07-09-06, 15:58
If Sony had any real sense - they would cut out the middle-man and just put the consoles straight on Ebay as they rolled off the production line. :p

Shark_Blade
07-09-06, 17:19
Guess I'll get a new xbox 360 after all.

Twiin
07-09-06, 17:55
Well, that completely screws everything up! I was going to get a PS3 for my birthday (Dec 2nd) or at least Christmas, and there's no way I'm going to be buying one myself. A Wii, it is then! Well done Sony Europe, you've probably just lost a customer!
EDIT: Oh yeah, and my PS2 recently stopped working for good, and therefore I was waiting for the PS3 to play any PS2 games that are coming out (Okami, TR:AE)...

Samsdad
07-09-06, 17:59
I am getting the impression that Sony is now one jump behind Microsoft. Anyone heard anything about Microsoft's next console, after the 360?

Twiin
07-09-06, 18:26
I know some of you Americans were annoyed by the fact that Legend was released in Europe before the US, can't you see how Europe almost always plays second fiddle to North America? I just checked about the Wii's release date, and it's dated for Thanksgiving in North America, and before Christmas for Japan... but no mention for Europe. It's as if we're not significant enough to give a release date to.

Scottlee
07-09-06, 18:38
It's not so bad for Sony.

People will wait for PS3 instead of switching to Xbox because they will want their next-gen system to play their old PS1 and 2 games.

illuminati30
07-09-06, 18:52

People will wait for PS3 instead of switching to Xbox because they will want their next-gen system to play their old PS1 and 2 games.

Or they could just keep their PS2, pretty low trade in value for it these days, probably worth keeping it, would not contribute much to the PS3 value!

Mad Tony
07-09-06, 18:53

I'm still getting a PS3.
And getting an Xbox 360 anyway! :p

interstellardave
07-09-06, 18:57
I'd keep my PS2 until the backwards compatibility was confirmed to work properly. It's hardware based so there should be no problems but you never know. That's one thing about the 360--you still can't play all the old Xbox games on it, although more are added to the list all the time. I can play about half my old Xbox games on mine--but I kept my Xbox, so I'm covered.

Mad Tony
07-09-06, 18:59
I'd keep my PS2 until the backwards compatibility was confirmed to work properly. It's hardware based so there should be no problems but you never know. That's one thing about the 360--you still can't play all the old Xbox games on it, although more are added to the list every day. I can play about half my old Xbox games on mine--but I kept my Xbox, so I'm covered.
So the later you buy your Xbox 360 the more backward compatibilty there will be?

illuminati30
07-09-06, 19:01
I'd keep my PS2 until the backwards compatibility was confirmed to work properly. It's hardware based so there should be no problems but you never know. That's one thing about the 360--you still can't play all the old Xbox games on it, although more are added to the list every day. I can play about half my old Xbox games on mine--but I kept my Xbox, so I'm covered.

Good point. I want to know how long people expect this to go on for? Do they really expect to play PS1 games on the PS3? What about when we get to PS5 or even higher, must is support all these formats also? Where do we draw the line here? Plus, i wonder if these backward compatability issues hold back a console in some way, from advancing to its max?

interstellardave
07-09-06, 19:02
So the later you buy your Xbox 360 the more backward compatibilty there will be?

No, it's done via download. When you pop your original Xbox game in the 360 it will tell you whether it can be played or not--if so you'll automatically connect to xbox live and a small little emulation program will be downloaded to your hard-drive. From then on the game will play when you put it in. It takes seconds to do--I just played Sid Meiers' Pirates! on my 360 last weekend. It will play them in High Definition too, which is cool. :)