PDA

View Full Version : pls see this!!, it is this realy possible?!

kangaxx
07-09-06, 01:47
Jesus, i was surfing the net and reach this article...i am totaly chocked, is this possible to be true?, is this legal!? how can parents agree with this especialy at this prices!?!?:confused:
pls read the article:(very large/big text to read)

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magazine/story/0,11913,987172,00.html

azumi_mm
07-09-06, 01:53
Sunday June 29, 2003

^ Probably outdated...

Mr.Burns
07-09-06, 01:54
Oh wow, I haven't heard about this for years. I'm sorry to say it is true and for the most part, it is legal, although it's certainly in the gray area. I wrote a paper in high school on legal rights for a minor in the USA. There was an article on Dateline i believe talking about this very program. It's wrong, cruel and whatever else you can think but unfortunately, in the US, a child does not become a legal adult until 18 years of age and until then their parents can pretty much do whatever they want. There are ways that a child can be released from their parent's care but it's very time consuming and once a child is sent to one of these places, it's almost impossible. I first heard about this ten years ago and this still angers me greatly that parents would think it necessary to do this to their children.

EDIT: AZUMI, It's been going on for a very very long time now I'm sorry to say.

DREWY
07-09-06, 02:06
Firstly, the names DREWY.
Secondly, http://bestsmileys.com/eek/2.gif How does this not attract attention from civil libertarians?

kangaxx
07-09-06, 02:08
AZumi, no mater if this is from 2003 or even 1800...the fact is, it exists yet in this days!.

jesus, i used to think that this programs was a reality only in comunist regimes or in other dictators type of regime!, this is sooo horrid, they are handling people like robots, and doing LEGAL BRAIN WASH!!!, just horrid!:cen:

kangaxx
07-09-06, 02:10
Secondly, http://bestsmileys.com/eek/2.gif How does this not attract attention from civil libertarians?

Exelent question!!:confused:

Mr.Burns
07-09-06, 02:21

Off the top of my head, I would assume that this is in the sights of the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) however at first glance I haven't found much on it. the "resort" website is http://www.tranquilitybay.org/ but like I said, it's a grey area because children under the age of 18 have extremely limited rights and unless they can get the process started to have them released from their parent's care, it's next to impossible to pull them out. When I have time, I'll look into it further. oh and for the record, If a teen is 18 years old and their parent's pull this stunt, then the teen has something to work with because they'll be concidered by the State as a legal adult.

frostfur452
07-09-06, 02:25
On level 1, students are forbidden to speak, stand up, sit down or move without permission.

:O wow I can't believe kids have to go through this.. and their parents chose them too!!!!

Mr.Burns
07-09-06, 02:38
::sighs:: it pains me but yes it's true. The idea behind the center is to help severely emotionally or behaviorally disturbed teens. there are other such centers here, but none of them are as strict. I guess a good example is this: you have a teen about 16 years old. totally rebellious, a Juvenile Delinquint, etc. Their parent's have tried everything to get some sense into their child but the teen is non responsive and the parent's fear that their child will end up in jail or worse. So they see this place as a last ditch effort to try and help their child. From some parent's perspectives here in the states (I assure you its not the majority by a long shot here) some serious, almost military style dicipline is what the teen needs. Now When I wrote my paper, it was about a teen that wasn't in the above example but somehow the parents felt that the teen was in need of this and "sent" him off. When I saw the original broadcast on the news, the teen in question was interviewed and he definitly did not belong in that program. Apparently the parents were severely misguided and overreacted. I think what frustrates me the most is that there are parents out there that seem to have forgotten that teenagers do have a say and a free will. I think they just don't see it that way and will do whatever they think is best because, "our child is just a child, they don't know what's best for them because they haven't lived yet" I'm probably not articulating this correctly as it's quite abit late in the evening for me, but I agree with all of you, this should be shut down.

kangaxx
07-09-06, 02:42
i even have not finished to read the article!!!, i stop all the time with bursts of wrath and tears in my eyes, it's too horrific to be understendble, possible or to be considerated even normal!!
if was in china,,,irak,,,afganistan,,well, i will in a certain way understend, but i USA!!,,jesus! a so called modern democratic system!, how can this be possible=? are people getting crazy?, i think the world is been rided by a some form of virus that makes people to act in a very weird way!!:hea:

i think it was eisntein that sayed something similar to this:

"universe and human stupidity are infinite, i have doubts about the universe!"

i realy start to agree with him...

Draco
07-09-06, 03:46
I personally think this should be used more often. Too many kids these days just don't 'get it'.

DREWY
07-09-06, 04:03
http://bestsmileys.com/anxious/1.gif 5. 4. 3.......

kangaxx
07-09-06, 04:31
I personally think this should be used more often. Too many kids these days just don't 'get it'.

i can understend the root of your idea when you say that,,,but....have you read all the text? or just have red the "fat ones"?!?:confused:

have you red the description of some of the rules and techniques they used there on the kids?

Autolycus
07-09-06, 07:33
I'm sorry but what i've read is sick, yes some kids are out of control and need putting into place but what happens in there is barbarick, things like what the journalist discribed happened to the kids may only have been found in a prisoner of war camp. The guy who runs it can't be all there in the head.

Draco
07-09-06, 09:13
i can understend the root of your idea when you say that,,,but....have you read all the text? or just have red the "fat ones"?!?:confused:

have you red the description of some of the rules and techniques they used there on the kids?

I read the entire thing.

Geck-o-Lizard
07-09-06, 09:48

Yeah, it's absolutely disgraceful that teenagers want to enjoy life.

Mr.Burns
07-09-06, 10:39

Just because kids these days don't "get it" doesn't mean that this facility and others like it should be used for just your average teen. There are a large number of factors as to why alot of kids have become more undiciplined, however sending them off to one of these detention centers is not the proper answer to a growing social crisis. Do I think that those kind of facilities should be in place? ::Sighs:: yes, but not to the extreme of TB. But I also feel that these places should be the absolute LAST place to send a troubled kid. If parents feel they need to use this place, it should only be because they have tried everything else in their power short of having the child thrown in jail. However, kidnapping these teens in the middle of the night might be seen as a shock value element but it's not neccessary unless there's a teen out there that would resist just as much as a violent criminal. Also, don't take this personally but, I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune if you were sent to this place against your will, I know I would. I've spoken my mind and now I'm done.

Taleigha
07-09-06, 10:42
so ok, i only read the first paragraph and id be like to the child 'to hell with you'!

which is exactly why i would never be a parent!

Draco
07-09-06, 18:05
Yeah, it's absolutely disgraceful that teenagers want to enjoy life.

Everyone wants to enjoy life...but what does being an immature idiot rebelling have to do with it?

Lone Raider
07-09-06, 19:42
sounds like clockwork orange.

BoyTRaider
07-09-06, 21:40
Very interesting article... I can't even imagine someone lying on their face for 18 months.
Well, I'd never send my children to a place like this (when I actually have some), I think that education comes mailny from your parent, and if you're a good parent, then your child is bound to be raised good as well.

kangaxx
08-09-06, 00:13
Very interesting article... I can't even imagine someone lying on their face for 18 months.
Well, I'd never send my children to a place like this (when I actually have some), I think that education comes mailny from your parent, and if you're a good parent, then your child is bound to be raised good as well.

Well sayed friend. and that's the right point in this issue as far as i see:

parents make a horrid work in educating they'r childrens(or not care at all about that), and later they just get the money and send them like robots, to be "reprogramed"., discussting:mad:

Drako i understend your point, and i belive for some kids they realy deserve something like this, but that it's a very small minority.
don't forget that in a so called democratic system, even the worst assassin have they'r rights as a citizen. enforcing brain wash is not democratic at all.
he have the right to be "evil", but the judicial system have the right also to aplie to them the legal penaltys. i prefer that then enforcing brain wash.

egyptiangal
08-09-06, 00:35
people can be serously messed up in the brains!! I'd never do that to my future children...no matter how onry they are! That's just cruel!

sweetPoison
08-09-06, 02:04
I feel terrible. All of you who want to know what this feels like should read 'The Handmaid's Tale' written by Margaret Atwood as it sounds so much like it. If you want to understand it better, you should read '1984' by George Orwell.

Mr.Burns
08-09-06, 03:58
parents make a horrid work in educating they'r childrens(or not care at all about that), and later they just get the money and send them like robots, to be "reprogramed"

Well, it's a multitude of problems. Parent's not being there for their children and just buying them off (AKA, ATM parents), people that are not suited either emotionally or financially to raise children, etc. The list goes on and on. However, this is an extreme last resort and it's been my experience that there's always another way, it's just whether or not the parents are willing to go to those lengths to help their kids. I think that in many cases, parents aren't willing, either because they can't financially (which is at least somewhat understandable) or they just don't want to take the time. They perhaps see this as a quick fix or an easier way out of this situation without taking into consideration the ramifications that this could and most likely, will have on their child's mental well being.