PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial NFL Thread!

Melonie Tomb Raider
08-09-06, 03:51
We need a thread like this!

Especailly since my Steelers just won! WOOOOHOOO!!! Omg, I'm so happy right now. :jmp:

laralives
08-09-06, 03:54
:vlol:

i dont watch football it sounds painful :(
and probly is :(

BUT whatever makes foromers happy we should support them :D

CerebralAssassin
08-09-06, 03:56
ooo ooo go RAMS!!http://www.photofile.com/Photos/Photos_Of_The_Day/05_10_04/thumbs/2005%20St%20Louis%20Rams%20Team%20Composite.jpghtt p://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/evilgrin/evilgrin0003.gif

oh btw Mel...your cloaking device is....not working!!:o

DREWY
08-09-06, 03:56
Just won Mel? I thought that was last year?
I know nothing about your NFL. What colours are the Steelers?

Edit: I think Mels come back into the 'light'

Melonie Tomb Raider
08-09-06, 03:59
I'm not using a cloaking device CA. :p :vlol: I don't need it anymore. I'd explain why I needed it in the first place, but it's a long story, I'll save it.

@Drewy. The Steelers won the superbowl last season, but official season just started again today, and the Steelers just won their first game against the Dolphins. :jmp:

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/1787/200520pittsburgh20steelers20team20compositeah2.jpg

DREWY
08-09-06, 04:01
Looks black and yellow?

Melonie Tomb Raider
08-09-06, 04:03
mhmm :)

CerebralAssassin
08-09-06, 04:08
ok so...how do you play football??:p

Melonie Tomb Raider
08-09-06, 04:16
Was that a rhetorical question or did you seriously want me to answer? ooooorrrr was that a joke I didn't catch? :p

CerebralAssassin
08-09-06, 04:17
Was that a rhetorical question or did you seriously want me to answer? ooooorrrr was that a joke I didn't catch? :p

umm..no...seriously...I don't know how to play football!!:o

DREWY
08-09-06, 04:20
Why is it called football when its rarely kicked?

CerebralAssassin
08-09-06, 04:26

hey...don't be aksin' questions like that dawg...americans know everything!!:mad:

DREWY
08-09-06, 04:30
Just a question. Our football (Aussie Rules) revolves around kicking, as opposed to rugby whch something similar to gridiron, which has less but still called football. Then you have soccer- all kicking.

Melonie Tomb Raider
08-09-06, 04:32
Good grief buddy, I could go on forever and ever, there's just so many rules! :vlol:

I'll put it as simply as possible. The ball is your prized possession. It's like the last morcel of food in a room filled with a million starving barbarians who have not eaten in a week. The ball is a jewel, a prize, a treasure! Everyone WANTS the ball!

Ok, so there is an offense and a defense. The offense is the team who has possession of the ball. It's theirs for the time being. The offense consist of many different positions. Firstly, I'll mention the offensive linemen. They're the big guys up front. Their job is to protect the guys behind them from the bad guys on defense. The guy in the middle of the offensive line, the center, holds the ball on the ground and later throws in between his legs to the quarterback. The quarterback now has possession of the ball. He can either hand it off to the running back, who will then run with the ball as far as he can, or the QB can throw the ball to a receiver (the guys running out, trying to get open), or the QB can run it himself (which, most of the time, is not a good idea unless you're Michael Vick). The defense's goal is to stop the ball from moving forward, and while they are at it, they can try to steal the ball themselves. The offense, mind you, have 4 plays. However, if they make it past 10 yards, they're back to their 1st play. If they do not make it on 4 tries, the team on defense will now get the ball where it last stood, only this time moving them to offense now.

The goal of the game is to take the ball from your side of the field all the way to the opponents side of the field, into the endzone. This is the touchdown. Now you don't only have to make touchdowns, there are field goals too. For example, let's say it's 4th down and 30 yards to go. Most of the time, the offense is going to kick the football through the goal post for a field goal. Because that's way too risky to try to make a play off of that at 4th down.

Touchdowns are worth 6 points each, but 7 with the extra point. After making a touchdown a team has the option of either kicking through the goal post, which would give them an extra point (7), or they can try to make it in the endzone again for 2 points (8). Most of the time, just one extra point is made, since it is more guaranteed. Unless the game is almost over and you need that point. Or unless you're the New Orlean Saints, they went for 2 WAY too much. :vlol: Well I doubt so much anymore since they got a new head coach.

But anyway, field goals are worth 3 points.

Whoever has the most points at the end of the game wins.

There is soooooo much more I could tell, but it would take me all day lol. I have no idea how much you knew already, so I really babied it up. :p

Melonie Tomb Raider
08-09-06, 04:33

It's kicked a lot actually. Well, depends on how much you're used to. Not even close to as much as soccer. :p

Still, the ball is kicked for extra points, field goals, punts, and kick offs. So yeah, that's still a lot of kicking.

DREWY
08-09-06, 04:35
http://bestsmileys.com/sports2/9.gif
http://bestsmileys.com/sports2/8.gif
Couldn't find any yellow and black BUT

http://bestsmileys.com/sports2/14.gif
Found Mel and her friends outside in the carpark!

Mr.Burns
08-09-06, 04:35
it's also based off of rugby and soccer though the name is borrowed. It's also alot of fun to play in the winter time.

Melonie Tomb Raider
08-09-06, 04:42
http://bestsmileys.com/sports2/9.gif
http://bestsmileys.com/sports2/8.gif
Couldn't find any yellow and black BUT

http://bestsmileys.com/sports2/14.gif
Found Mel and her friends outside in the carpark!

Yay! Thank you. :jmp:

Mad Tony
08-09-06, 06:20
I don't suppoert a football team, yet.
But I was thinking of chosing one near to San Francisco, as that's where I plan to live.

@Drewy - I love Aussie Rules! :jmp:

Melonie Tomb Raider
08-09-06, 06:24
Looks like we've got a new 49ers fan here. :tmb: :p

DREWY
08-09-06, 06:28
:tmb: Mad Tony
Aussie Rules is one the toughest games you can play. Some players average a 1/2 marathon each week, full contact, no padding and minimum interchanges.

Mad Tony
08-09-06, 06:30
:tmb: Mad Tony
Aussie Rules is one the toughest games you can play. Some players average a 1/2 marathon each week, full contact, no padding and minimum interchanges.
What team do you support?
My dad used to live near Melbourne, so he and I support...Richmond!!!! :yah:
He lives in Sydney now, so I think he's supporting them aswell.
I think there's a Richmond player, with the same name as him.
First and last names! :eek:

DREWY
08-09-06, 06:44
What team do you support?
My dad used to live near Melbourne, so he and I support...Richmond!!!! :yah:
He lives in Sydney now, so I think he's supporting them aswell.
I think there's a Richmond player, with the same name as him.
First and last names! :eek:

Essendon Tony, suburb of Melbourne. Known as The Bombers (red with black sash)
Not a very good year this year. No finals, oh well!

Mad Tony
08-09-06, 06:45
Essendon Tony, suburb of Melbourne. Known as The Bombers (red with black sash)
Not a very good year this year. No finals, oh well!
Richmond just missed out on the finals this year :(
Lol, my dad's old boss supposrts Essendon! :vlol:

DREWY
08-09-06, 06:56
Obviously a man of great integrity and intelligence :tmb;

ILG49ers
08-09-06, 12:22
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j196/ILG49ers/49ers2006_1024x768-1.jpg

Go 49ers! :jmp:

I'm hoping this won't be another 4-12 type season for us! :D

Congrats on the victory last night, Melonie! :tmb: Charlie Batch looked really good last night! Personaly, I thought you guys were going to lose without Ben Roethlisberger, but I guess I was wrong. :p

Mona Sax
08-09-06, 12:34
Steelers? Bah. You wanna see the Bucs!

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/6474/083106graham1eu3.jpg

ILG49ers
08-09-06, 15:17
Boo, I canít stand the Bucs ever since they beat us a few years back in the playoffs, and they went on to win the Super Bowl! :mad: :p

Alive_and_Funky
08-09-06, 15:19
I don't know much about NFL apart from the rules and team names, but I support the Dallas Cowboys. :D

Mad Tony
08-09-06, 15:19
Looks like i'm a 49ers fan now! :p

interstellardave
08-09-06, 15:26
Congrats on the victory last night, Melonie! :tmb: Charlie Batch looked really good last night! Personaly, I thought you guys were going to lose without Ben Roethlisberger, but I guess I was wrong. :p

Great offensive line play enables good QB play... even if that QB is basically average. Put Big Ben, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady behind a really bad offensive line and they wouldn't be nearly as good as they are. Put an average QB behind a really good offensive line and you can go to a Super Bowl.

ILG49ers
08-09-06, 15:28
Looks like i'm a 49ers fan now! :p

Awesome, another 49er fan?! :jmp: To get you updated, we suck right now, but we are on are way back to being a respectable team! :D

Great offensive line play enables good QB play... even if that QB is basically average. Put Big Ben, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady behind a really bad offensive line and they wouldn't be nearly as good as they are. Put an average QB behind a really good offensive line and you can go to a Super Bowl.

True, that's why Alex Smith has been looking like a bust so far, but hopefully this year our O-line is impoved. We did get Larry Allen! :jmp:

interstellardave
11-09-06, 03:16
WELL FOLKS:

The AFC North might be a real humdinger this year! Steelers win... Bengals win... and MY Ravens CRUSH Tamp Bay 27-0!!! :yah:

Put another way, the Ravens scored 27 points and Tampa Bay scored (in the words of their head coach, Jon Gruden, in his post game press conference): "Zero. Z, E, R, O..." :D

Melonie Tomb Raider
11-09-06, 03:28

Good point. :tmb:

Awesome QBs are a huge help though. Batch really could have lost it for us with that fumble though. :o

interstellardave
11-09-06, 03:34
Good point. :tmb:

Awesome QBs are a huge help though. Batch really could have lost it for us with that fumble though. :o

I'll tell you, I hope Batch is QB'ing for you guys when my Ravens play you! It would make it easier. Right now we're off to a tremendous start with a dominant win over a top NFC team on the road. It all comes down to playing well within your own division though, and the AFC North will be a dogfight between the Steelers, Bengals and Ravens.

Melonie Tomb Raider
11-09-06, 03:41
omg, a dogfight it will be! :eek:

I think my Steelers are up for the challenge though. ;) We'll see. :p

dbot
11-09-06, 04:29
does anyone else really like a team for the SOLE REASON that they picked that team exclusively on nfl blitz?

just me?

go panthers

Melonie Tomb Raider
11-09-06, 05:16
Sounds familiar actually. My older brothers likes the Patriots because when he was a kid that was his favorite team on ABC Monday Night Football for the SNES. It's been about 13 years since then though and he's still extremely loyal to his team. :vlol:

I picked the Steelers because when I was about ten years old I got a bunch of books at the library regarding different football teams. The Steelers book fascinated me the most, so I decided to choose them as my team. :D

ILG49ers
11-09-06, 19:03
Well, we made a good attempt, but sadly the 49ers lost to the Cardinals 34-27. I'm really excited about the future of the 49ers though, because Alex Smith, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, and Antonio Bryant all looked really impressive. I’m sure the Niners aren’t going to be a playoff team this year, but who knows, we still have 16 weeks left! ;)

does anyone else really like a team for the SOLE REASON that they picked that team exclusively on nfl blitz?

Lol, that’s pretty much how I picked my team. I would always play as the 49ers in NFL Gameday ’95 for the PS1, so I kind of started becoming a big fan of them. 11 years later, and I’m pretty much obsessed with the Niners! :p

Mad Tony
11-09-06, 19:07
My dad supports the Chicago Bears.
I have no idea why though.
Now we are at war in my household :p

interstellardave
11-09-06, 19:11
The Baltimore Ravens are my hometown team--gotta support the home-town team! Boy, for one game at least, they looked like the same Ravens team that won the Super Bowl in 2000!

Melonie Tomb Raider
11-09-06, 19:21
I never understood why on earth the Ravens let Trent Dilfer go right after they won the superbowl...

ILG49ers
11-09-06, 19:24
I never understood why on earth the Ravens let Trent Dilfer go right after they won the superbowl...

I never understood why they did that either.

Flipper1987
12-09-06, 06:05
http://www.photofile.com/Photos/Photos_Of_The_Day/05_10_04/thumbs/2005%20St%20Louis%20Rams%20Team%20Composite.jpg

Another Rams fan here too. :D

FLIPPER

CerebralAssassin
12-09-06, 23:21
http://www.photofile.com/Photos/Photos_Of_The_Day/05_10_04/thumbs/2005%20St%20Louis%20Rams%20Team%20Composite.jpg

Another Rams fan here too. :D

FLIPPER

oh yeah..that's what I'm talkin about...let's gang up on them!!http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/evilgrin/evilgrin0009.gif

interstellardave
13-09-06, 05:16
I thought it was a good move at the time... Trent played only just well enough to not mess things up for that awesome defense. We had a great running game and special teams too, but Trent's play was not that great, believe a guy who watched all the games...

Elvis Grbac was a pro bowl QB who had thrown for like 4,000 yards the previous season with KC... it seemed a good upgrade, and a smart move to not rest on our laurels. In point of fact losing Jamal Lewis that preseason is what killed the Ravens chances of repeating. Trent would have done no better than Elvis; I think it might have been worse, in fact. We still made it to the playoffs and won a first round playoff game (hammering the Dolphins), but the Steelers really had our number that year and beat us in a hard fought second round game. Jamal might have made a big difference though.

ILG49ers
13-09-06, 15:13
NOOOOOOOO! Rams fans! :eek: :( :ton:

The 49ers are beating you guys this week, and we are going to surprise everyone by wining our division! :p

CerebralAssassin
13-09-06, 20:17

The 49ers are beating you guys this week, and we are going to surprise everyone by wining our division! :p
hahahahahahhaaahahah....

you wish!!:p Marshal faulk rules!!!:)

CerebralAssassin
13-09-06, 20:29

where are they playing anyway...edward jones dome?:p

ILG49ers
13-09-06, 23:59
hahahahahahhaaahahah....

you wish!!:p Marshal faulk rules!!!:)

Marshal Faulk? He used to be good! :ton: :p

where are they playing anyway...edward jones dome?:p

Nope, San Francisco is home! :)

ILG49ers
18-09-06, 17:01
:yah: 49ers won! We beat the Rams 20-13! :jmp: Alex Smith, Frank Gore, and Antonio Bryant all looked very impressive! Now, I can’t wait until next week for a real test! Bring it on Eagles! :jmp:

CerebralAssassin
18-09-06, 17:03
whatever man...fluke win :pi:

ILG49ers
18-09-06, 17:05

I don't think so, we've you guys the last three time we played! :p

Mad Tony
18-09-06, 17:10
Ha ha!
49ers won! :ton:

Bet you didn't see that coming?

CerebralAssassin
18-09-06, 17:13
Ha ha!
49ers won! :ton:

Bet you didn't see that coming?

fluke win...Rams are the superior team...we won a superbowl...you guys haven't :ton:

Mad Tony
18-09-06, 17:14
fluke win...Rams are the superior team...we won a superbowl...you guys haven't :ton:
that was a fluke win :p

CerebralAssassin
18-09-06, 17:19
that was a fluke win :p
since when are you a football fan..LOL

no...see...guys like marshall faulk and that other guy's name...bruce somethin...orchestrated that win...all skill!! ;)

ILG49ers
18-09-06, 17:21

The 49ers won 5 Super Bowls! We are one of only three teams to do that, thank you! ;)

Mad Tony
18-09-06, 17:25
since when are you a football fan..LOL

Since I caught the America bug and when I decided I am going to move to the USA.
I'm going to need to support a team for when I move out there :p

CerebralAssassin
18-09-06, 17:31
The 49ers won 5 Super Bowls! We are one of only three teams to do that, thank you! ;)

LOL...I just assumed they didn't win anything.
where are the 49ers based anyway?:confused:

Mad Tony
18-09-06, 17:33
LOL...I just assumed they didn't win anything.
where are the 49ers based anyway?:confused:
San Francisco

CerebralAssassin
18-09-06, 17:35
what does virginia have to do with san francisco?:confused:

ILG49ers
18-09-06, 18:01

Huh, I don’t have to live in San Francisco to be a fan of the 49ers, do I? It’s not like Virginia has a Professional football team of their own, so I figured I had the option of choosing any team as my favorite. :p

Mad Tony
18-09-06, 18:02
I live in England at the moment.
I can still support the 49ers! :p

CerebralAssassin
18-09-06, 18:14
yeah....I remember you sayin you wanted to go to san francisco so...

@ Isaiah: nah...ain't nothin wrong with that!!:p

Melonie Tomb Raider
18-09-06, 19:00
Big game tonight... Woot! :jmp:

ILG49ers
19-09-06, 00:14
Yep, should be a great game, Melonie! I hope you guys win! :)

@ Isaiah: nah...ain't nothin wrong with that!!:p

Ok, Just checking! :D ;)

BoyTRaider
19-09-06, 00:27
Lol! I've been envited by so many coaches in my school to get on the football team, but since I knew hardly anything, I was always doubtful. I'm really skilled at soccer, but now I'm considering football too...

ILG49ers
19-09-06, 00:37
Lol! I've been envited by so many coaches in my school to get on the football team, but since I knew hardly anything, I was always doubtful. I'm really skilled at soccer, but now I'm considering football too...

You should definitely give it a try, Matt! I haven't played football since I was like 8 years old, but it was fun from what I can remember. :p I was going to try out for high school, but I didnít, itís a long story. :rolleyes:

Melonie Tomb Raider
19-09-06, 05:09

omg that would be so cool if you joined your football team!!! :eek: :jmp: Do what you want though, no pressure. :p If you do you gotta tell me all about it though. :D :hug:

*end of excitement*

Steelers lost. :(

ILG49ers
19-09-06, 12:54
Too bad about the Steelers, Melonie! :(

The Steelers offense didnít look so great last night. Maybe they should have gone with Charlie Batch for one more week. You have to give it up to the Jaguars though, they look really impressive.

Unlike me, Iím sure you have nothing to worry about. Iím pretty sure you guys are still making the playoffs.