PDA

View Full Version : 'Jesus Camp' - Upcoming Documentary Film

GodOfLight
09-09-06, 19:49
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_EKHK1C2IE&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fprofile%2Emyspace%2Ecom%2Findex% 2Ecfm%3Ffuseaction%3Duser%2Eviewprofile%26friendid %3D63886417

i wasn't sure if it is against this idea, for this idea, wether it's a mocumentary, or something to be taken serious. either way... it looks... interesting.

tr_mitch
09-09-06, 19:53
Whoa... I really don't know what to think.

Punaxe
09-09-06, 19:56
Horrible. That is just pure indoctrination. I hate it when people force their beliefs onto others, especially kids who have no defense against it because they won't know different.

Greenkey2
09-09-06, 20:02
This is such a provocative subject.

Faith? No problem. Religion? Again, no problem. But this looks and sounds and tastes like something else entirely - brainwashing.

"How many of you would give up your lives for Jesus?" Dozens of kids throw their hands in the air....innocent kids, young kids....that's the only word that matters here - they are KIDS.

I can admire people's faith, even if I disagree with it. But this is spiralling down the slipperly slope of indoctrination and mass-hysteria that are the favoured weapons of extremists.

tr_mitch
09-09-06, 20:11
I don't mind people who have interests in religion... But when they shove it in peoples faces and make it look like the world revolves around it.... Gah makes me feel sick.

Punaxe
09-09-06, 20:14
Agreed, Greenkey2 and tr_mitch.

xMiSsCrOfTx
09-09-06, 20:16

Same.

jarhead
09-09-06, 20:22
honestly what do they think they'll achieve by sending their kids their. to get them to be religious. if they wanted to become religious then they would sart believing when they want to, not after going to a 'jesus camp'.

Mr.Burns
09-09-06, 20:26
I don't mind people who have interests in religion... But when they shove it in peoples faces and make it look like the world revolves around it.... Gah makes me feel sick.

*nods* It's unfortunate that there are still so many close minded people out there. I had a trainee with me last week who was a...well, let's just say he was very passionate about his faith, which is fine. What annoyed me was that he was trying to push his beliefs on me (which he saw as fact and anything that was different from his beliefs was wrong) and unfortunately he was very close minded so I couldn't have a nice pleasant theological debate. I'm completely open to other people's faiths and if they're willing to have a open, mature debate about different possibilities, then I'm all game but not when they can't accept anything other than their beliefs as an alternative.

tr_mitch
09-09-06, 20:30
*nods* It's unfortunate that there are still so many close minded people out there. I had a trainee with me last week who was a...well, let's just say he was very passionate about his faith, which is fine. What annoyed me was that he was trying to push his beliefs on me (which he saw as fact and anything that was different from his beliefs was wrong) and unfortunately he was very close minded so I couldn't have a nice pleasant theological debate. I'm completely open to other people's faiths and if they're willing to have a open, mature debate about different possibilities, then I'm all game but not when they can't accept anything other than their beliefs as an alternative.

Exactly...Don't force your beliefs or opinions on people.
Treat it as an interest, A hobby if you will... Like going to church could be like playing tennis.
But nobody goes around saying 'Tennish is right, everything else is wrong... do it or this will happen'.
Completely unessecary. (sp?)

scion05
09-09-06, 20:34
Its Disgusting :o

GodOfLight
09-09-06, 20:37
i've watched it a few times now to study it a bit more... and all i can say is that i feel very sorry for these children. i hope that someday a spark is ignited in most of them that will allow them to rebel against this manipulation... yet if it is already being imprinted on them at such a young age, the hope for that is scarce. all in all it reminds me of something:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/LuciferOrion/captureD18.jpg

Rivendell
09-09-06, 20:43
Two kinds of people in this world! Those who love Jesus, and those who don't.

O.o

"There's a new church like this every 2 days in America"

Mr.Burns
09-09-06, 20:48
i've watched it a few times now to study it a bit more... and all i can say is that i feel very sorry for these children. i hope that someday a spark is ignited in most of them that will allow them to rebel against this manipulation... yet if it is already being imprinted on them at such a young age, the hope for that is scarce. all in all it reminds me of something:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/LuciferOrion/captureD18.jpg

that reminds me of a movie I saw in hebrew school oh about...15 years ago. I believe it was called the Wave it was about a high school professor who decided to start an experiment, which in ended up being a small scale version of the nazi party and the SS. it's pretty disgusting how there are people out there that will take advantage of impressionable children. But that's how the extremists build their ranks.

Jamie18
09-09-06, 20:49
Unfortunately, religion is different because it involves maybe the fate of your immortal soul.

In an ideal world, parents would allow their kids to make up their own minds about things and not push a particular opinion on them, but because people obviously don't want their kids to 'burn in hell' for the whole of eternity, they're more likely to push their beliefs on them and it probably could be classed as brainwashing in a lot of cases.

Mr.Burns
09-09-06, 20:54
Two kinds of people in this world! Those who love Jesus, and those who don't.

O.o

"There's a new church like this every 2 days in America"

eh. I wouldn't say every 2 days. maybe once a week. It's getting pretty bad over here. the line about separation of church and state is becoming increasingly blurred.

GodOfLight
09-09-06, 20:58
that reminds me of a movie I saw in hebrew school oh about...15 years ago. I believe it was called the Wave it was about a high school professor who decided to start an experiment, which in ended up being a small scale version of the nazi party and the SS. it's pretty disgusting how there are people out there that will take advantage of impressionable children. But that's how the extremists build their ranks.

yes, we had to read the Wave in high school. very interesting book.

Unfortunately, religion is different because it involves maybe the fate of your immortal soul.

yes, but not everyone believes in the existence of an immortal or soul or that it may need saving ;) and if one doesnt believe that, one should be forced to believe it.

kids like the ones in this documentary should be allowed to explore all aspects of life and religion before they just get a one-and-only doctrine shoved down thier throats.

Lavinder
09-09-06, 20:59
Gah. Chill Christians.

Mona Sax
09-09-06, 21:00
Frightening. I don't see any difference between fanatic Islamists and those people. They're effectively brainwashing their kids and ruining their lives.

Jamie18
09-09-06, 21:37
yes, but not everyone believes in the existence of an immortal or soul or that it may need saving ;) and if one doesnt believe that, one should be forced to believe it.
That's what I'm saying - I said in an ideal world, everyone should be able to make their own decisions.

But for many religious people it's not as simple as 'do what you want with your life' because they believe that if their son or daughter doesn't make the 'right' decision they'll be doomed for eternity, and that's the problem that leads to this sort of thing.

It sucks and I think it's wrong to force something like that upon someone, but that's their belief and it's a huge part of our culture - do you think it's coincidence that people born in religious families commonly end up following that religion? No.

The place you're born and your family and the society you live in have a HUGE part to play in what religion you end up having - that's why I think it's a bit arrogant of Christians to believe that their religion is the 'right' one when they most likely wouldn't be following it if they were born, say, in the Middle East to a Muslim family (and it works the other way around too).

Mr.Burns
09-09-06, 21:52
That's what I'm saying - I said in an ideal world, everyone should be able to make their own decisions.

But for many religious people it's not as simple as 'do what you want with your life' because they believe that if their son or daughter doesn't make the 'right' decision they'll be doomed for eternity, and that's the problem that leads to this sort of thing.

It sucks and I think it's wrong to force something like that upon someone, but that's their belief and it's a huge part of our culture - do you think it's coincidence that people born in religious families commonly end up following that religion? No.

The place you're born and your family and the society you live in have a HUGE part to play in what religion you end up having - that's why I think it's a bit arrogant of Christians to believe that their religion is the 'right' one when they most likely wouldn't be following it if they were born, say, in the Middle East to a Muslim family (and it works the other way around too).

well...let's look at today's society. Now it's not just christians, it's anyone that has been raised with the beliefs that their religion is right, everyone else's is wrong and they will all go to hell if they don't follow the path to G-d, enlightenment, etc. You're right though in that if such a person was raised somewhere else, then their beliefs would be different. A belief is something that has been emparted onto someone by another.

lita212
09-09-06, 21:57
wrong parents are sad if they force this onto there kids. let them think for themselves its pure nastyness i think. if my parent was a believer and forced me to believe in everything they believe in id tell them to **** off and let me worship the devil lol. i dont worship the devil btw

Flipper1987
10-09-06, 06:07
Horrible. That is just pure indoctrination. I hate it when people force their beliefs onto others, especially kids who have no defense against it because they won't know different.

Well if you're intellectually honest and consistent, then you must oppose when atheists and/or religion-hating parents supposedly do the exact same thing to their kids.

Why is it when God-fearing/believing people raise their kids to believe in God it's "brainwashing," but when atheists and/or religion-hating parents do the exact same thing it isn't?

Anybody here ever contemplate that curious dichotomy?

And all this pure rubbish about allowing young kids "to think for themselves" when it comes to religion and/or believing in God is pure hogwash and completely unrealistic. A topic as weighty as religion deserves some sort of parental guidance, doesn't it? MTV, public schools, and people on secular Internet forums (such as this one) are hardly resources that young children should use when it comes to religion.

And if you don't see the difference between the kids in that 2 minute video and Islamic terrorists who brainwash and strap bombs on their kids to blow up innocents, then perhaps you should do a touch more research. Youtube is not the end-all of religious discourse.

FLIPPER - Gah, chill atheists and religion haters :)

GodOfLight
10-09-06, 06:09
Well if you're intellectually honest and consistent, then you must oppose when atheists and/or religion-hating parents supposedly do the exact same thing to their kids.

Why is it when God-fearing people raise their kids to believe in God it's "brainwashing," but when atheists and/or religion-hating parents do the exact same thing it isn't?

Anybody here ever contemplate that curious dichotomy?

And all this pure rubbish about allowing young kids "to think for themselves" when it comes to religion and/or believing in God is pure hogwash and completely unrealistic. A topic as weighty as religion deserves some sort of parental guidance, doesn't it? MTV, public schools, and people on secular Internet forums (such as this one) are hardly resources that young children should use when it comes to religion.

And if you don't see the difference between the kids in that 2 minute video and Islamic terrorists who brainwash and strap bombs on their kids to blow up innocents, then perhaps you should do a touch more research. Youtube is not the end-all of religious discourse.

FLIPPER - Gah, chill atheists and religion haters :)

very few atheists raise their children with a hatred for religion. it is more of a simple indifference to religion rather then hatred.

Flipper1987
10-09-06, 06:24
very few atheists raise their children with a hatred for religion. it is more of a simple indifference to religion rather then hatred.

I would love to believe that but in my experiences, and from what I have extrapolated from various Internet websites and forums, I have sadly encountered the exact opposite. This myth that most atheists are "indifferent" towards religion (and thus raise their children that way) is simply just that...a myth. Even though I have encountered some atheists (including my best friend) who are tolerant of other religions, I have encountered far too many [including some on this so-called "open-minded" forum (not you GodOfLight, despite your sig)] who see religion as a "cancer" that needs to be eliminated. That would be all religions.

FLIPPER

Angelx14
10-09-06, 06:39
Ditto.

Mona Sax
10-09-06, 12:39
A topic as weighty as religion deserves some sort of parental guidance, doesn't it?
IMO it doesn't. Your religion is part of your most intimate and personal sphere, which is nobody's business, not even your parents'. I'm okay with people telling their kids what they believe and why they do so, but in the end it should be the child's decision - and the child's alone - whether he or she wants to follow the same path. Responsible parents could even go as far as explaining (unjudgmentally!) other theories and religions as well so the child can really make an independent and informed decision.
MTV, public schools, and people on secular Internet forums (such as this one) are hardly resources that young children should use when it comes to religion.
Why not? Okay, MTV, being a music video channel, isn't a very helpful resource, but why shouldn't the kid get all the info he/she can? Usually when people try to shield somebody from other people's opinions (or even objective information - I assume you're talking about kids learning about evolution in public schools) it's because they're afraid of losing control.

Lone Raider
10-09-06, 14:32
When I was fifteen, I joined a weekly bible group and the next year I was invited for a holiday in Switzerland. I had liked everybody very much and thought I was having a great time with those lovely people, so I gladly accepted.
When we arrived, there was a day out and the bible teacher's wife took me aside for a little chat. In which she asked me if I knew why nobody liked me, and why people wouldn't want to talk to me. I was totally shocked and horrified. She then proceeded to explain to me if I embraced God, all my problems would dissolve and everybody would like me. I went through the worst two weeks of my life, apologizing for anything I could think of to anybody who would listen... can you imagine? I still get wound up typing this... years and years have passed but I'm still as angry as I was then. Also the bible teacher and his wife tried to talk me out of my then relationship because I had expressed my will to have sex with him before we got married.

Well that was the end of my relationship with the church.

Neteru
10-09-06, 14:41
Good grief. That is truly terrible. What a positively wicked woman. Talk about righteous arrogance leading some to another form of 'sin'. Emotional cruelty. *shakes head*

Lenochka
10-09-06, 14:53
Crazy... insane... wrong... kinda scary O.o

Lone Raider
10-09-06, 15:00
Well she did manage to let me learn that I do not open the door to any religious or other fanatic, ever. So in a way, I'm grateful for it. It also taught me to look very closely at so-called friendships.
It's all about brainwashing, and there's a lot more out there than just this particular Jesus Camp. If you don't watch it, you'll get twenty people a week who want you to be their follower, starting with advertising sports clothing and going right across the spectrum to the religious fanatics. It's pretty hard to stay sovereign nowadays, especially for kids.

Jamie18
10-09-06, 15:48
I think someone raising their child and forcing their atheistic beliefs on them would be wrong also.

But the topic of conversation here wasn't about an 'anti-religion' camp. I also think there's a difference in that a lot of people without religious beliefs wouldn't be as passionate about their child following the same path, because they wouldn't be acting under the impression that another path would spell eternal doom for their immortal soul.

tampi
10-09-06, 16:02
Do you understand now because I live in "other" planet?
Too many times in so little time there I am read things related to the religion or referred her. Therefore it is something that to some of you the attention calls you, believing or not believing.Of all forms is not this the only abomination that see on them. All we see almost daily matters referred to prostitution, work, bad deals, ...And it more it record is that this is only the tip of the iceberg, as in most cases. I want to rebrand how in some another occasion I have referred to the religion as our own conscience, that of each one. That it is our own stick to measure.
Not, really I can neither understand these things, like so many other.
Neither the encounter of the true road, neither the money can justify something thus, but thus is.
Only the consolation that if to see along the street a gigantic poop would also remain me looking at, is what remains me.