PDA

View Full Version : who thinks the music for tr1 2 3 4 and 5 were abit too...

Tomb-Raider
10-09-06, 05:02
who thinks the music for tr1 2 3 4 and 5 were abit too... creepy like this..

*enters cave*
* hears cheesy music*
*freaks out, somethings gunna eat me!*
*mommy!* who agrees with me

Captain Mazda
10-09-06, 05:53
Well I love the AoD music and the Legend music was practically orgasmic. Enya, I mean you can't get any better than Enya for Lara! :D

Elysia
10-09-06, 06:42
The music for the classics was perfect. All that beautiful chanting and waves of gorgeous classical music just enhanced the awe and beauty of the locations. Legend's music - whilst okay - was too bland and 'techno-ified' for my taste - it didn't stir the emotions like the old ones used to (AoD's was marginially better (in the fact that it was definable - there was something definitely tuneless and honogeneous about Legend's music in places - but I still didn't like that it was like a 'background track' rather than something used to enhance the mood).

What is this whole deal with people who don't like to be scared when playing TR? TR is famous for its jumpy, tense atmosphere! Why play TR if you don't like creepy stuff? Every single TR has had creepy stuff in it (well, until Legend....)

highonlollypops
10-09-06, 06:54
i liked it - i was listening to the south america tune on my mp3 while travelling through woods on my family holiday - the tune really set the mood and made me feel like i really was in a humid jungle

ANoDE
10-09-06, 06:55
I loved the music from the classics - very well fitting into the scenerery. Legend's music was great, too I think. It was also supporting the game - just in a less creepy but more cinematic way.

What is this whole deal with people who don't like to be scared when playing TR? TR is famous for its jumpy, tense atmosphere! Why play TR if you don't like creepy stuff? Every single TR has had creepy stuff in it (well, until Legend....)

Well, most of them, who doesn't want to be scared by TR are probably too young, to have experienced the time, when TR was great for all these things like creepiness or shock-therapy by a T-Rex ;)
So, I think, I cannot blame them for don't liking it as we do, since I literally grew up with this creepy feeling whilst playing TR ;)

Elysia
10-09-06, 07:06
Well, most of them, who doesn't want to be scared by TR are probably too young, to have experienced the time, when TR was great for all these things like creepiness or shock-therapy by a T-Rex ;)
So, I think, I cannot blame them for don't liking it as we do, since I literally grew up with this creepy feeling whilst playing TR ;)
Even so - the question still stands. Creepiness and a tense atmosphere is what maketh the game; taking this out of TR is like taking the horror out of Silent Hill, the dialogue out of Final Fantasy and the punches out of Tekken. It just doesn't make sense to me - why do people want to remove stuff that made the classics so great and original and replace it with essentially cosmetic things that have no bearing on the game at all? Why play a game at all if it contains things you don't like? I don't play football games just because I like Thierry Henri as a person - I know I hate footy, so I steer clear, even if I do like Thierry is cute...

Rivendell
10-09-06, 07:17
The classical-esqe music from the classics fit the games wonderfully. The ambient creepy background noises kept you on your toes, before hearing music that made your heart beat faster and get ready to shoot something, or look at a new area in awe as the camera panned around it accompanied by some calming classically memorable theme.
It worked incredibly well, and now they've gone "all change" and made it "modern". Well, modernisation in music wasn't a good idea for the series in my opinion, so I'll have to say I disagree with you intently if what you're trying to imply is the classics music and sfx were poor, however if you're not and it's just an odd way of complimenting them, then I agree.
It got rid of a hell of a lot of atmosphere because now all there is is a constant drone of immemorabal techo-beat and upbeat tracks. Bye-bye tense moments, bye-bye creepy atmosphere, bye bye great music!

Blackmoor
10-09-06, 07:59
I prefered the music of the originals. I thought the Legend composer did a good job but I prefer a score that heightens tension and emotion just like when they score a film.

When the music is continuous I usually switch it off because it's irritating.

Music is too powerful to just be left on a loop. What a waste of the composer's talent and the experience we COULD have had...

If they repeated the same visual patterns (textures) eternally one after the other in a game, we'd say they hadn't put the proper effort in... Well I think it's the same with music.
What is this whole deal with people who don't like to be scared when playing TR? TR is famous for its jumpy, tense atmosphere! Why play TR if you don't like creepy stuff? Every single TR has had creepy stuff in it (well, until Legend....)I know I don't get it either. Some of the scariest moments I ever had in computer games were while playing TR.

But then again why am I surprised... they've taken the exploration out too and only a few of us seem to have noticed or care. It really is just about moving the pretty lady about like you say. :rolleyes:

thepetemaster
10-09-06, 08:12
Music cues over streamed music anyday of the week. I don't like Muzak piped into shops and elevators, and I certainly don't make it a preference for atmospheric games!

Tomb-Raider
10-09-06, 13:58
the legend music is best.. .. tr1-* lvl 1
you start the lvl in a dark cave* you hear all these nonsense noises coming from different directions like someone has a seceret band room that wont stop making noise!:hea:

legend-* lvl 1 classical nice music and nothing pops up at you in begining ..

All im saying is, If lara goes into a dark temple or a jungle, it doesn't mean it should be scary.

* i would replace the cd player with rap*:jmp:

tha_mattster
10-09-06, 14:01
All im saying is, If lara goes into a dark temple or a jungle, it doesn't mean it should be scary.

It's not the jungle or tombs that are scary! It's those bloody cobras lurking in the grass :(:(

Anyhow I think the music was perfect until Legend. TRL's music is too quiet, only a few good pieces. :)

Tomb-Raider
10-09-06, 14:03
I agree with you, but legend its like.. its hard to explain.

Rivendell
10-09-06, 14:05
the legend music is best.. .. tr1-* lvl 1
you start the lvl in a dark cave* you hear all these nonsense noises coming from different directions like someone has a seceret band room that wont stop making noise!:hea:

* i would replace the cd player with rap*:jmp:

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/shocked015.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Well then I PRAY to the heavens that You never make a TR game! Clearly you wouldn't know atmosphere if it danced naked in front of you and your grandparents.

MiCkiZ88
10-09-06, 14:09
lol riv :D

The music was perfect in the classics :) it created the perfect athmosphere.. and what more.. mostly it was only the wind and some creepy sounds rather than music..

Tomb-Raider
10-09-06, 14:14
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/scared010.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org) Creepy music

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/music012.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

yay!

Rivendell
10-09-06, 17:28
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/scared010.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org) Creepy music

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/music012.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

yay!

:confused:

So, do you like "creepy music" or not?

Catlantean
10-09-06, 18:02
TR must be one of the games series with the best soundtracks :)

xMiSsCrOfTx
10-09-06, 18:04
The creepiness is what made it effective! I liked it. I agree with Catlantean, too. I really think the TR soundtracks are some of the best ever.

Angel_14
10-09-06, 19:47
Have you even played with the originals?

Anyway, my head starts to hurt anytime, when somebody says, that 'scary music' is not good. It gives you adrenaline and makes the game more exciting. Putting Techno music into TR is like Putting Latin music into Batman ;)

And I agree too, TR games have the most beautiful soundtrack in the game series. And TR1's music was my favourite! :D

Mona Sax
10-09-06, 19:48
TR's creepy moments are great, they're part of the whole experience. Raiding tombs has to be exciting, frightening and spooky and the music helps to even heighten that feeling. Elysia's right, if you can't deal with the series' theme, then don't touch it.

Legend's music was perfect for the game IMO. Sadly, there are no nasty surprises in the game that make you jump, so there's no need for creepy passages in the soundtrack.

GodOfLight
10-09-06, 22:54
i'm sorry, but tomb raider is meant to be a creepy game with a creepy atmostphere and creepy music. i really wish legend had never attracted all these idiots who only want to see a sparkling waterfall around every corner with twinkle twinkle music....

StarCroft:AOD
11-09-06, 01:16
The music in the classic were fantastic, it added a lot of atmosphere to the levels, the sound and music IS a very important part of any game. ;)

thevman
11-09-06, 14:47
The music in the classics fit the games perfectly. It was an audio clue to what might be ahead. It was the only clues I ever needed in a TR game. They set the mood. Cue creepy music, must be something nasty ahead, gets the adrenaline flowing! Beautiful mysterious music, something amazing lay ahead for you to take in and stand in awe of! Exciting music, you better move fast, somethings happeneing and you're about to die! It kept you jumpy, on pins and needles, ready for anything. :jmp: :yah:

Legend muzak, literally puts me to sleep, it's boring, but then legend was boring, so I guess it fit? http://www.storagebin.us/smilies/smilies/dunno.gif http://www.storagebin.us/smilies/smilies/NONO-2.gif

BTW, rap would be the WORST possible music for a TR game, has absolutlely nothing in common with TR. What, is lara gonna start break dancing now? Is she in a ghetto blasting her way out of gang territory? Save that for a GTA game. http://www.storagebin.us/smilies/smilies/grumble.gif :rolleyes:

marcocatena
11-09-06, 16:13
This is what made Tomb Raider, the creepy music! I love it :D

thepetemaster
11-09-06, 16:38
No Rap music!!!!

EVER!!!!
:hea:

Natla'd
11-09-06, 18:06
BTW, rap would be the WORST possible music for a TR game, has absolutlely nothing in common with TR. What, is lara gonna start break dancing now? Is she in a ghetto blasting her way out of gang territory?

:vlol:

She already has her posse (Zip, Winst, Da Big A), maybe one of them can imitate a boom box while Lara busts-a-move at her enemies. Yeah! You can have a choice between killing people and just owning them with your superior dance movements. Can you tell I don't know much about this genre? :D

Back on topic, I pretty much agree with everyone else. Tomb Raider music rocks, etc. etc.

thevman
11-09-06, 18:15

She already has her posse (Zip, Winst, Da Big A), maybe one of them can imitate a boom box while Lara busts-a-move at her enemies. Yeah! You can have a choice between killing people and just owning them with your superior dance movements. Can you tell I don't know much about this genre? :D

Back on topic, I pretty much agree with everyone else. Tomb Raider music rocks, etc. etc.

NEW!!! Tomb raider: You've been served!

You search out enemies, dance in front of them to challenge them, then they dance... and you shoot them! :vlol: http://www.storagebin.us/smilies/smilies/ornery.gif

ben croft
11-09-06, 18:19
TR Legend has great musics, but the old games are better when it comes to soundtrack.

:wve:

thepetemaster
11-09-06, 18:45

NEW!!! Tomb raider: You've been served!

You search out enemies, dance in front of them to challenge them, then they dance... and you shoot them! :vlol: http://www.storagebin.us/smilies/smilies/ornery.gif

:vlol: You two crack me up!! :vlol:

I'm can hear the old Scooby music playing now, the twins, Winston and Lara, all being chased by some Werewolf* in and out of random doors along the hallway. Craziness ensues!!!

*Actually Greenskeeper Paddy, in a werewolf suit, and 'he would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those pesky kids!!' :mad:

tweetygwee
11-09-06, 20:19
Well I love the AoD music and the Legend music was practically orgasmic. Enya, I mean you can't get any better than Enya for Lara! :D

It wasn't Enya! I think her surname was Matheson, I'm not quite sure, but it wasn't Enya. I loved the AOD music, best from any TR, but closely followed by Last Revelation for me.

i'm sorry, but tomb raider is meant to be a creepy game with a creepy atmostphere and creepy music. i really wish legend had never attracted all these idiots who only want to see a sparkling waterfall around every corner with twinkle twinkle music....

Yes! Legend was childish, aimed at unnapreciative one-track minded people who want to shoot and sprint and use funky gadgets. It was OK, just too simple.

petujaymz
12-09-06, 14:07
TRAOD Title Screen Music - Excellent

Incidental Music of TR1,2 & 3 - Excellent, particularly when faced with a floor of spikes edging closer and closer with Lara climbing PAINFULLY slowly. :eek:

Incidental Music of TR4 - Bit of a joke, though I thought TR4 difficulty was pretty much spot on.

Through TR1,2,3,4 & AOD I'm glad they remembered TR is an established franchise. Sampling the classic title screen tune across all five titles. I ORDER Crystal Dynamics go back to it in TR8...

Rivendell
12-09-06, 15:29

She already has her posse (Zip, Winst, Da Big A), maybe one of them can imitate a boom box while Lara busts-a-move at her enemies. Yeah!

She's already ghetto'ing it up LA style with her pouts and "OoooH Look" *hands on hips and strut* poses ;)

Captain Mazda
12-09-06, 16:09
It wasn't Enya! I think her surname was Matheson, I'm not quite sure, but it wasn't Enya. I loved the AOD music, best from any TR, but closely followed by Last Revelation for me.

WHAT?????????????????

NOT ENYA??? AAAHH!!!

fondantcookie
12-09-06, 18:00
The music was perfect in the classics :) it created the perfect athmosphere.. and what more.. mostly it was only the wind and some creepy sounds rather than music..

Couldn't have said it better myself....

Listening to Legends sound track makes you wonder if Crystal ever actually played the classics...

They were full of atmosphere. Music was used as a point of emphasis, to up the ante, create suspense and create a magical experience...

Walking into a new room, panning cameras showing huge temples and flowing waterfalls, with the distant sound of monks chanting.... Perfect !!!!

And what do we get instead? Constant background techno-pop, unnecessary monkeys whittering in our ears and thus no atmosphere or fear-factor whatsover...

People already know my opinions on Legend. But i've recently re-discovered custom levels...and playing these has just reinfoced how bad legend actually is. It doesn't even hold a small candle to the might that were the CORE games... ....its simple, easy, generic cash-in. A dire dire attempt, and an insult to a once revolutionary gaming series...

Heres hoping Crystal learn from their mistakes....

So...CLASSIC Music ALL-THE-WAY !!!

If you find it scary...(or heaven forbid 'atmospheric')...please go play something else...

da tomb raider!
12-09-06, 18:02
Well, I loved all the music in TR1-6. But the music in Legend sounded a little... cheap...

tweetygwee
12-09-06, 21:17
Couldn't have said it better myself....

Listening to Legends sound track makes you wonder if Crystal ever actually played the classics...

They were full of atmosphere. Music was used as a point of emphasis, to up the ante, create suspense and create a magical experience...

Walking into a new room, panning cameras showing huge temples and flowing waterfalls, with the distant sound of monks chanting.... Perfect !!!!

And what do we get instead? Constant background techno-pop, unnecessary monkeys whittering in our ears and thus no atmosphere or fear-factor whatsover...

People already know my opinions on Legend. But i've recently re-discovered custom levels...and playing these has just reinfoced how bad legend actually is. It doesn't even hold a small candle to the might that were the CORE games... ....its simple, easy, generic cash-in. A dire dire attempt, and an insult to a once revolutionary gaming series...

Heres hoping Crystal learn from their mistakes....

So...CLASSIC Music ALL-THE-WAY !!!

If you find it scary...(or heaven forbid 'atmospheric')...please go play something else...

I thought the Legend music fitted the game, as it was so different. I really liked it, but not really for a TR game, but I've always thought of Legend as a completely different game from the Tomb Raider Series, a sort of GTA hybrid in some ways. So it does fit.

I replay the core games for the atmosphere. Legend's pathetic replayabilty was the Time Trials and Difficulty levels, and all for for mediocre material (but the concept art was good).

Difficulty levels? Time Trials? ARRRGGHHH! no! That's not TR!

Satu
14-09-06, 09:48
The music for the classics was perfect. All that beautiful chanting and waves of gorgeous classical music just enhanced the awe and beauty of the locations. Legend's music - whilst okay - was too bland and 'techno-ified' for my taste - it didn't stir the emotions like the old ones used to (AoD's was marginially better (in the fact that it was definable - there was something definitely tuneless and honogeneous about Legend's music in places - but I still didn't like that it was like a 'background track' rather than something used to enhance the mood).

Can't add anything else :tmb:

Phil78
14-09-06, 12:30
I really can't agree to statements that in Legend the music does not support the atmosphere.
In an action-packed motorbike chase sequence, the music is fast, techno-ish.
In the Nepal mountains, bringing back Lara's memories of the plane crash, the music is sad and quiet.
When the serpent in Arthur's tomb emerges, the music raises to dramatic kind.

The music constantly playing thoughout the whole game is just another step towards the game being similar to these-days movies.

Blackmoor
14-09-06, 16:29
The music constantly playing thoughout the whole game is just another step towards the game being similar to these-days movies.Music isn't played constantly throughout movies. In films, they cue the music in specific places so as to heighten different emotions in line with what is happening on screen (just like they did in the earlier TR games, especially TR1). The rest of the time, there is no music playing at all.

They are definitely not continuous backtracks that play non-stop like Legend.

da tomb raider!
14-09-06, 16:37
Oh, God, don't remind me of the moterbike scenes... the God-awful music playing over, and over, and over....

tweetygwee
14-09-06, 16:50
I didn't think it was awful. Maybe less techno, and it would be great.

Legends
14-09-06, 18:21
It it a little creapy maybe, but that's what I like about the music! It makes the game scary without ruining it. In Tomb Raider Legend it isn't that effect! Maybe a little bit in England. It should be more levels like England, but still keep a fun Bolivia level once in a while. ;)

*AnGeL*
15-09-06, 21:17
not creepy but took youre breadth away made the game what it was it like the music was masterd or like say in timming to every level of the game wich made it good without it be strange i say i fell in lov with tr1 music straight away, now i like classic music :)

Azerutan
15-09-06, 21:24
In terms of music...

TR1 was more classical and epic music directed - love classical music so it's like a dream playing this Tomb Raider...

TR2 was more choir or gregorian enchants directed - again love the choir I personally find beautifull the soundtrack in this game, my favourite one...

TR3 was a darker version of TR2 with some new age touches - love that song in India, it's gorgeous... Very new age...

TR4 was more Egyptian and Indiana Jones directed - I personally find the environement perfect and beautifull, awsome soundtrack...

TR5 was more simplistic with some tribal bits - I personally find this game very relaxing to play with...

TR6 was more dark classical and tecno - It was different from the rest, I really liked it, but not the most charismatic...

TR7 was more epic celtic enchanting - I adore the soundtrack in this game, personally Nepal is beautifull...

Well, this is merely my opinion about music...

Anubis_AF
15-09-06, 21:40
Moved to General Chat

Angelx14
16-09-06, 22:38

*enters cave*
* hears cheesy music*
I don't agree with you XD. That wasn't so creepy.:p
I think the music was awesome.

Croftgirl
18-09-06, 16:26
i want Nathan McCree back!!!! :( :( :(

http://www.mccreemusic.com/fs-mccree-games.html

you can download some of the awesome mp3s from TR 1-3

Reggie
18-09-06, 16:33
Thanks for link Croftgirl, it's good to see there's been some updates - there's some really good new features there. *listens to the TR2 theme* ^.^

rika2
18-09-06, 16:41

*enters cave*
* hears cheesy music*

cheesy music? you really don't know what cheesy music is do you? I'll give you some examples:

- Spice Girls
- Power Quest

this is cheesy music... most TRs from 1 to 5 have great soundtracks, considered by composers as some of the best in video games and I'm one to talk cause I know music theory and can explain this well :)

Rivendell
18-09-06, 17:11
Wow ! On that link - TR2 "Vertigo" - anyone know where that can be downloaded? I've only heard the Midi version of it before, I can't remember it in the game itself!

Lonely Istari
18-09-06, 17:32
Enya, I mean you can't get any better than Enya for Lara! :D

Was that really Enya?? I always loooved the music and now i know why! :D

tweetygwee
18-09-06, 19:32
cheesy music? you really don't know what cheesy music is do you? I'll give you some examples:

- Spice Girls
- Power Quest

this is cheesy music... most TRs from 1 to 5 have great soundtracks, considered by composers as some of the best in video games and I'm one to talk cause I know music theory and can explain this well :)

No where near cheesy. The music is one of the most important factors of the games for me.

-Temple of Xian atmosphere
-TR3 "No Waiting"
-Godly TR4 music
-Jeep Chase
-Temple of Horus
-AOD THEME
-Generally AOD music

Was that really Enya?? I always loooved the music and now i know why!

I've already said it isn't! I think the Wikipedia article on Tomb Raider Music has been deleted :mad: so I can't quote it now. It's not Enya!

Reggie
18-09-06, 23:23
Wow ! On that link - TR2 "Vertigo" - anyone know where that can be downloaded? I've only heard the Midi version of it before, I can't remember it in the game itself!

No luck in finding a downloadable (there was one before...:confused:) if you have TR2 for the playstation you can always find the vertigo track and put it onto your computer. (it's track 41 ;))

Croftgirl
19-09-06, 11:13
is there any 'Nathan McCree for Tomb Raider' cult? :p

Lara Croft!
19-09-06, 11:21
I agree with those who think that the best music (creepy and atmspheric) is the one on te classics (1-5)......
I mean ENYA...????Seriously????:p