PDA

View Full Version : End of an era folks :(

tlr online
11-09-06, 01:17
Schumacher to quit at end of year

Seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher will retire from Formula One at the end of the season. The German made the announcement after winning the Italian Grand Prix to reduce title rival Fernando Alonso's lead to just two points.

The Ferrari star's victory was the 90th in a career in which Schumacher has broken almost every F1 record. He will be remembered as one of the greatest, and most controversial, drivers in the history of the sport.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42070000/jpg/_42070746_schunewsafp203.jpg

www.bbc.co.uk

DREWY
11-09-06, 01:23
Shame. I always thought of him as a big fish in a small pond. Never had much real competition and now when it looks as though he may have it now, he retires. Having said that he is, at 37, the oldest man in the field. Good luck to him :tmb:

MiCkiZ88
11-09-06, 01:31
I just heard about that in the news. He's been a great opponent to many drivers. but I have to say even though Im not his biggest fan that he is one of the kind in the F1 series :tmb:

man I miss the days when He and Mika Häkkinen were kind of rivals.. i dunno.. But he has always given that extra little tension to f1 :)

Captain Mazda
11-09-06, 02:21
Shame. I always thought of him as a big fish in a small pond. Never had much real competition and now when it looks as though he may have it now, he retires. Having said that he is, at 37, the oldest man in the field. Good luck to him :tmb:

He always had competition from the best drivers in the world: Mika Hakkinen and Kimi Raikkonen. Give Kimi a Ferrari (which he may do very soon) and he'll never lose a race. I was looking forward to them racing side-by-side though.

DREWY
11-09-06, 02:27
http://bestsmileys.com/cars/7.gif He always had the best car too. Just like Nigel Mansell did (although MS isn't as over-rated, as Mansell was) Would loved a match race between Senna and Schumacher in identical cars. I think Senna would have disapeared into the distance. MS is a very good driver- just never really tested IMO. http://bestsmileys.com/cars/8.gif

Kamrusepas
11-09-06, 02:37
Damn tlr, you always gotta scare me like that? I thought it was gonna be something important... :p

DREWY
11-09-06, 02:55
I must admit Kam, I was thinking along the same lines http://bestsmileys.com/lol/10.gif

Angelx14
11-09-06, 05:23
Yeah, I heard that too.
Such a shame that good drivers are leaving..

AND, same what Kam said.:p :D

Mad Tony
11-09-06, 06:40
It's a shame he's retiring.
He's a really good racer.

angelika
11-09-06, 06:50
I must admit he is great driver but I never really liked him.
He is too cold with the crowd

Pipolinne
11-09-06, 06:51
It was becoming rather boring always having him winning all the time. I just hope now we won't another have 7 years era of Alonso's winnings,or F1 will soon become quite similar to Harry Potter!

Senna was my favourite,he seemed more passionated for the sport,while MS always seemed just eing doing his work and nothing else. He was brilliant,but it wouldn't be him dragging me for the sport!

Legend of Lara
11-09-06, 08:53
He's... QUITTING? :(:(:(:(:(
Now there's no reason to watch f1 anymore!

Apofiss
11-09-06, 09:46
Never had much real competition and now when it looks as though he may have it now, he retires.

Umm.. '97 - Jacques, '99 - '01 Mika ...'02 - '04 ______ , ...

Kind of feels like end of F1 now..

Satu
11-09-06, 09:50
Phew...i thought you were going to say something insane like this place was cactus.

At least he knows when to quit and he's going out on a high :tmb:

Cochrane
11-09-06, 09:55
I think it's good he finally quits. With him, you had the occasional season where there was some rivalry with another driver, and many seasons where he just won, won, won. It was boring, and I hope that it will get interesting when the younger drivers now try to find out who will be his replacement.

Greenkey2
11-09-06, 10:27
I'll agree that he was the most successful racer of all time, but IMO he is NOT the greatest.

He ceratainly lacked the sportsmanship that marks out greatness. Maybe now F1 will become a bit more interesting.

Agent 47
11-09-06, 12:01
He's... QUITTING? :(:(:(:(:(
Now there's no reason to watch f1 anymore!

Now that's every reason to watch F1........all i can say is good riddance to him :cen:

his records look impressive, but if you look and examine them closely they are far from legitimate..........1994 rams Hill off the road, 1997 rams Villeneuve off the road.

if Schumacher was so good as everyone makes out, why is it that he NEEDED team orders to win (please pull over and let Micheal pass), he was afraid to have a competitive team-mate and IMO he has only retired because he doesn't have the bottle to face Kimi as an EQUAL no'1 at Ferrari.

2007.............the year F1 titles are won fairly.......End of an Era indeed, thank goodness :D (been watching F1 since 1996)

MiCkiZ88
11-09-06, 12:07
lol I kinda agree with you agent47 :D
I wonder how Kimi will do in F1 next year..

lmao Kam I was shocked when I first saw this thread xD

tampi
11-09-06, 12:17
Kimi is a destroys-cars :ton:
And Michael a little-quite cheating :p

Tomb Raider Master
11-09-06, 13:39
Heard about that. Shame. :(