PDA

View Full Version : What's happened to The Simpsons?

Jacob x5
11-09-06, 06:05
I've noticed this a lot recently and most people I know who like the show have mentioned it.

I haven't watched new Simpsons episodes for a LONG time. I really do love this show and I have seasons 1 – 7 on DVD. I'm waiting to get season 8 this Christmas. :D

Seasons 1 – 3 are not as funny as the others. They are good, but as the show was starting to get going it wasn't as good.

After that the show really picked up. Apparently the season 4 – 10 'era' is the really good bit, but seasons 11 – 17 (:eek:) is where it really starts to go downhill. I refused to believe that a show as good as The Simpsons could do that, but I've recently watched some new Simpsons episodes and they're awful. They're so different to the old 'classics', the humour has totally changed and it just isn't The Simpsons anymore.

I'm very disappointed. They should have quit while they were ahead. That way the show could be remembered as something that was on for a few seasons and was brilliant right the way through, and ended just as well as it begun. Instead, it's going to be remembered as the show that was good, but ended up falling apart.

And yet, they still don't seem to be stopping making them. In fact, as far as I'm aware, season 18 has been confirmed. It's a shame that Futurama (another brilliant show) was cancelled after the fourth season when it had great potential, and yet The Simpsons continues.

Some people are saying that the show is picking up again now. I'd like to believe them.

TombRaiderLover
11-09-06, 06:30
I'd say that the first few series are my favourite, and I agree that when a show is beginning to go downhill it must be ended. And I hate that Futurama has been cancelled, when there is a whole lot more to be covered.

Mad Tony
11-09-06, 06:33
IMO, the first couple of Simpsons seasons weren't very good.
But 3-10 are really good.
But some of the new ones aren't as good as they used to be.

Rivendell
11-09-06, 08:51
There are less and less good ones, but occasionally there are some absolute pearls amongst the poor ones!
There are some reallly good ones still, but not half as often. :tmb:

Dazzy
11-09-06, 10:01
I love The Simpsons, I have Season 1 to 7 on DVD, and am awaiting Season 8 to go on sale verrry soon. Some new episodes I liked was The Simpsons go to England, a Halloween Special where Bart and Milhouse have a Magic Watch, which they use to trick Homer, as all his doughnuts vanish lmao, even his clothes vanish. That made me laugh alot! The worst episode ever must be that guy from The Office, Ricky someone, HE IS NOT FUNNY, I didn't get any of his jokes, and neither did The Simpsons!

Mr.Burns
11-09-06, 10:06
Actually, some of my favorite episodes were when the simpsons were on the Tracy Ulman Show back in the mid 80's but yea, the first few seasons weren't as funny as the middle of the series. I find that the season when muad flanders died was just extremely strange. As for futurama, Comedy Central is picking it up and is continuing the series with new episodes i think late next year/2008.

Dazzy
11-09-06, 10:08
I think my favorite epsiode has to be the one from Season 7, Abe Simpson vs Mr Burns for the Paintings!

Captain Mazda
11-09-06, 11:15
In reply to the first post, Matt Groening has already announced 12 or 13 new episodes of Futurama, soon to be shown on Comedy Central I believe. These episodes depending on their success with determine whether he'll continue or leave it at that.

Kamrusepas
11-09-06, 11:17
Well of course, considering how long it's been running, it's hard to keep it that fresh sometimes.

Autolycus
11-09-06, 11:27
Well IMO the first few series were ok but i think as the show progressed it got better and better, they have me in stitches all the time :jmp:

Titanium
11-09-06, 18:05
I also have noticed the lack of story and humor of the earlier seasons, ever since 2001 is when I think its beggining to lack in quality.

I mean they do still come up with some good episodes, especially the halloween special with Frinks father was good. But it just doesnt have that flair it used too. The episode with Pie Man in my opinion is one of the worst they have done.

Anyway, hopefully The Simpsons Movie will help bring the show back to its full glory. :)

viper456
11-09-06, 18:11
the new simpsons episodes are so much more funny than the old ones. I have some of the very first episodes on video somewhere and they are kinda crappy if im honest

Taleigha
11-09-06, 18:56
ugh i hate the new episodes. they rely on the appearence of famous people to keep its appeal.

i **** my self laughing at the old ones. when it was fresh and new. the old ones are the best!

UNDERTAKER
11-09-06, 19:08
The Simpsons is not as good as it used to be. Seasons 4-9 were the golden era of the Simpsons.

It has lost the satirical edge and relies more on childish slapstick humour.

Despite this it is still one of the finest shows on TV and much better than the rest of the crap out there!