PDA

View Full Version : More sony bad news

Samsdad
12-09-06, 00:40
I found this over on Gameinformer,com

ff the heals of the company announcing that the PlayStation 3 would not only be delayed in Europe, but the company would be slicing the worldwide shipment of consoles to 500,000, Sony’s Ken Kutaragi tell Reuters that he believes the company’s hardware is in decline.

"If you asked me if Sony's strength in hardware was in decline, right now I guess I would have to say that might be true," stated Kutaragi.

Investors are getting worried since Sony will give both Nintendo and Microsoft a major head start in Europe There are also questions arising if the game division can deliver a product to market in time, or if there’s something fundamentally wrong with the company’s manufacturing process.

We’ll have more on this when it breaks.

Ward Dragon
12-09-06, 02:33
So does this mean that PS2 will get really cheap in a few months or not? I intend to buy a PS2 in order to play a few games that aren't available on PC and I don't want to pay too much for an obsolete console (I definitely don't want to pay $800 or whatever the price is for a PS3, either).

DREWY
12-09-06, 03:47
Apparently Australia don't get PS 3 till March! Not good enough!

Legend of Lara
12-09-06, 09:43
SONY!!! :mad::mad::mad:

You're DRIVING ME INSANE! Do you WANT to have the PS3 sell out in 5 minutes, leaving millions of fans furious?!?

Rivendell
12-09-06, 10:10
Pfft!

At least they'll have the record for the fastest sell-out after launch!

K.J
12-09-06, 13:20
I think I read somewhere that Japan wil get 100.000 and North-America will get 400.000 consoles.

Dingaling
12-09-06, 15:38
For a company to actually say they feel their going into decline is a massive thing to say and for that I have to respect Sony for being able to say that the Sony Playstation 3 console is having a very hard time.

And what KJ said is correct, personally I say cut 100,000 from NA and send them to some of the places that have to wait till March 2007, if that ain't a-happening really reduce the price of the PS3 for us (say £100 :D) cos after waiting months and months for most consoles without any change in price, they might win back some people in the missing territories by lowering the price (plus we usually pay more in terms of US$ anyway).

Oh, and buying a PS2 will serve you well, Ward

GOing back to the PS3 I'm still very annoyed at the delay considering the first PS3s that were to be made were to be for Europe and that didn't come to pass, altho' the good side is that we'll have less buggy consoles and more launch titles. So yeah, I'm becoming optimistic again :)

Samsdad
12-09-06, 15:41
I think I read somewhere that Japan wil get 100.000 and North-America will get 400.000 consoles.

I have also heard that 80% of the launch will be the $600 versions

hookups
12-09-06, 15:58
I think I'll just buy the xbox360 instead.

Lara's Boy
12-09-06, 16:10
I think I'll just buy the xbox360 instead.

I have recently come to that conclusion as well. It seems Microsoft has things organized and well placed....it just seems easier to trust their modus operandi after watching Sony and their "progress"

Trigger_happy
12-09-06, 16:27
do you think that the PS2 will suffer in any way? With the PS3 delayed and companies developing next gen games, will the number of good games decrease?

Samsdad
12-09-06, 16:38
do you think that the PS2 will suffer in any way? With the PS3 delayed and companies developing next gen games, will the number of good games decrease?

I think you will see a gradual phasing out of the PS2. There are just too many of them out there for developers/publishers to ignore the market. But most of the cutting edge games on going to be PC and next generation consoles and I do not see them on the PS2 except as maybe later release ports

thepetemaster
12-09-06, 16:59
I can't see many developers catering toany of the old systems. The tend to get ignored once the other systems have been out for half a year or more. I doubt you will see many releases for Xbox/GC/PS2 come Christmas 2007 - the focus will be on the next -gen. I would rather it that way anyway - there is already too much multiformat stuff out there.

Apofiss
12-09-06, 17:16
No good *sigh* ..perhaps some inner problems with stuff/partners.

Hmm.. what was the voltage difference in us/eu? (tho my new tv supports all PALs and NTSC)

thepetemaster
12-09-06, 17:22
^You would just need a transformer pack. My GC is North American. The only real hassle is buying the games from the states, and having to get a Freeloader disc to play UK rentals.

Hybrid Soldier
12-09-06, 19:43
I laugh at Sony.

They need to get things together.

Apofiss
12-09-06, 19:48
^You would just need a transformer pack. My GC is North American. The only real hassle is buying the games from the states, and having to get a Freeloader disc to play UK rentals.

Hmm I remember playing all kinds of versions (us/eu/jap/..?) on my old PS :pi:

Tomb of Legends
12-09-06, 22:14
You probably had a chip installed.

In reply to thepetemaster; the PS3 and 360 can play multi-region games (some) to cut down the illegal market for burnt games...you dont need to buy your own region games anymore. So if TR comes out in North America first, then you can buy it and import it to Europe and play away!

thepetemaster
12-09-06, 22:16
Nice Idea - The wait for all the translations usually slows things down for us poor europeans. I like the move toward no regions anymore though. That is good news.