PDA

View Full Version : Something a i read about Blu-Ray

illuminati30
13-09-06, 21:26
This is something a friend of mine wrote on another forum

Similar to the PS2's DVD capabilities, apparently the Blue-Ray playback on the PS3 is going to be crippled so that you won't get the same playback quality that you'll get on a standalone set-top Blue-ray player. Well worth the 500 then...

Meanwhile rumours are placing the X-Box 360's addon HD drive as comparable with the standalone players and at about half the cost. So HD-DVD wins the price war again.

But wait, there's more.

The main touted advantage of Blue-Ray, is its increased capacity. While HD-DVD supports 15Gb on single layer discs, and 30Gb on dual layer disks, Blue ray is boasting 25Gb on a single layer, and a whopping 50Gb on dual layer.

However, what they've neglected to mention, is that unlike HD-DVD, they've not actually gotten dual layer disks to work yet. And to add salt to the wound, triple layer discs are said to be well on their way for HD-DVD.

:yik:

Samsdad
13-09-06, 23:27
Any idea of the source of your friend's information. It may be what was behind that depressing statement from one of Sony's higher ups about their hardware development being in decline.

illuminati30
13-09-06, 23:49
Any idea of the source of your friend's information. It may be what was behind that depressing statement from one of Sony's higher ups about their hardware development being in decline.

He is not the kind of person to just pull things out the air, but i was worried about asking him where he heard all this, at risk of being cheeky.

I came here to see if anyone else knew anything about this.

Night Crawler
13-09-06, 23:54
This topic fails without a source. ;)

illuminati30
14-09-06, 00:04
This topic fails without a source. ;)

OK, i will try and find out where he heard this stuff.

VonCroy360
14-09-06, 08:25
However, what they've neglected to mention, is that unlike HD-DVD, they've not actually gotten dual layer disks to work yet. And to add salt to the wound, triple layer discs are said to be well on their way for HD-DVD.

I just read yesterday that sony released the first 50Gb blu-ray. Yes it costs about 50 dollars, but it's out there. :)

illuminati30
14-09-06, 10:25
Ok I have had a word with him:

In regards to playback, there is no article specifically, he said he had read on forums that playback was not so good. Fair play to him, I have read this here also, although this can not be proven. I guess once we can compare PS3 play back to a stand alone set top Blu-Ray player, that’s when we will see.

In terms of the Xbox 360 HD add on, yep he is right, it comes in cheaper.

And about Blu-Ray, it comes from:

What happened is very much another story. The reviews for Blu-ray have been mainly negative, and the format's biggest sales argument--storage--is not yet a reality. Sony just can't get the technology to work properly, and currently Blu-ray has less storage than its competitor, HD-DVD

If the Blu-ray camp don't want to lose this thing before it gets started, they have to deliver and they have to deliver soon. I for one am starting to get tired of empty promises on how the technology should work. As an example, on the official page for the high-priced PlayStation 3, you find Sony saying that Blu-ray can hold 100GB of storage on a four-layered disc. My advise to Sony: Spend your money on getting your dual-layered discs working before advertising about theoretical four-layered discs. Stop the hype and let the product speak for itself. We are waiting patiently...but not forever, because

Source: http://www.dvdtown.com/article/beyondthehypeablu-raystory/3914/ (http://www.dvdtown.com/article/beyondthehypeablu-raystory/3914/)

However, someone here said they got it working? I have no reason to disbelieve you, but those here of little faith will demand your source.

And triple layer HD- DVD, just search the net for that, and you can see it is on the way.

:D

interstellardave
14-09-06, 11:20
I have seen these things mentioned on numerous "videophile" type sites. I don't have links now but I don't think after all this time people will think me a liar. It doesn't take a lot of searching on your own to find negative Blu Ray news--from impartial sources.

UNDERTAKER
14-09-06, 12:21
To me it doesn't matter what size the discs are. We will still be getting short games like Legend on blu-ray. I guarantee it. Resistance fall of man looks great and is hyped to be 22gb in size. But I bet we will all complete it within no time.

illuminati30
14-09-06, 12:26
To me it doesn't matter what size the discs are. We will still be getting short games like Legend on blu-ray. I guarantee it. Resistance fall of man looks great and is hyped to be 22gb in size. But I bet we will all complete it within no time.

True! And there are even people who believe Legend was short due to disk space. I don't believe that for a second, and then you hear these people who ask questions like, 'will TR8 be longer than Legend, because of blu-ray with PS3?'

Mr.Burns
14-09-06, 13:31

Looks like that's the way some developers have decided to go. They're probably running out of ideas for games and have decided to focus their efforts on realism, hence IMO, short yet flashy and cool looking games. Of course with the release of the Ageia physx cards, this trend probably will be here for a while. Make a short game that you can destroy anything with realisic effects.

Cochrane
14-09-06, 14:11
While I have large doubts that the Ageia PhysX card will really catch on, I agree in principle. All the shiny effects that modern games have require so much time to make that developers simply cannot afford to create a long game using it all. At least that's the case until someone finds a way to make this easier.