PDA

View Full Version : Rip-off Britain - the price of videogames in the UK vs US

UNDERTAKER
14-09-06, 22:00
Just read this article on gamesradar.com

Call of Duty 3, Tony Hawk's Project 8 and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance will all be available at the US launch of PlayStation 3 this November, according to Activision big-wig Robert Kotick.

During his revealing presentation at a recent conference, Kotick also confirmed that Activision's PS3 games would be priced at the same level as its 360 games: "We have not seen a lot of consumer resistance at the higher price points and we expect that all of our next-gen products will be launched at $60 (£31) price points".

Which is depressing, really, as it suggests that Activision could go lower if it were forced to.

Of course, don't expect to see that dollar-to-pound converted price of around £30 slapped on PS3 titles in our neck of the woods. Despite 360's high-priced games, Dead Rising, Saints Row and Test Drive Unlimited have all shot high into the charts this week at an RRP of £50, and you can bet your last penny that we won't see a change to the premium pricing in the near future.

So £31 is all Americans pay for a next gen game? That's so unfair. It's a rip off! Us folks in the UK have to pay £50 which is about $90. Luckily you can get the games cheaper at Tesco for £40 but that still isn't the point. We are getting ripped off in the UK and Europe.

Another example. In the USA a premium PS3 will cost $599 which is just over £300! Us UK folk are being charged £425! :mad:

So I don't want to hear any Americans complaining about the price of things...you are getting the best deal!

Dingaling
14-09-06, 22:03
It's been like that for years unfortunately. Probably why when the price for the Wii is revealed I'm expecting it to be roughly £250 instead of £150 odd (altho' I may be surprised).

It's been annoying me for years when some Americans moan about the price of something and that they don't realise that they're usually a lot cheaper than some other countries. It's a shame Sony didn't go down the real convertion route ($600 - £300) altho' they have never officially confirmed the price for the UK, did they?

MiCkiZ88
14-09-06, 22:04
It's sad isnt it.. :(

Not just games and consoles.. and not just UK alone.. Everything is expensive here and no where near we get that much money in a month that we could buy stuff like those.. especially students are in poor condition financianly.. :(

Night Crawler
14-09-06, 22:35
It's the way it's always been. :(

jarhead
14-09-06, 22:59
can you buy it fomr amazon.com and get it shipped over or something, although you'll pay a bit more for P&P , you'll still pay less

Neteru
14-09-06, 23:27
I don't know exactly what customs do, but I do know there is the possibility that you would have to pay an import duty. The amount of which might render the exercise pointless.

illuminati30
14-09-06, 23:36
I feel your pain.

However there are lots of things to consider really. It's a bit like Scotland and England in some ways. For example, for £200,000 here, imagine the size of house you could get, then think in London for that you would get a shoe box.

I think in some ways all these things level out? I don't know! Maybe they don't!

I guess you would really need to take 2 people, who do the same job, one in USA, one in UK, then calculate what fraction of their weekly monthly wage, buying a game would be. However, even this could be inaccurate as all different companies pay different wages for the same jobs, and countries also.

However, tax in the UK is 17.5% and that is pretty high.

Stick to play.com :D (although it's a pest having to wait on your stuff, if you are anything like me!)

>>>To an American next gen player. When i buy a 360 game, i feel it costs the earth, and my wallet has taken a fair wack, do you feel this way?

Ward Dragon
14-09-06, 23:51
I really have no idea what goes into producing/marketing/distributing video games. Is it more expensive for companies to distribute games in Europe compared to the USA? Or is it just that the companies feel they can get away with charging more in Europe? I'm in the US and I usually wait for PC games to be $20 or less before I buy them, although I have occassionally bought games for $30, $40, or $50 (I've never paid more than $50 for a single game).

Thorir
15-09-06, 00:16
If it´s any help, non English speaking European countries have to pay lots more than the UK buyers.

PirateRose
15-09-06, 00:25
I'm sure priceing is based on Economy. As I recall from my ADvanced Econ class, the Euro is worth more then the American Dollar. In other words, you guys are richer then us.

Melonie Tomb Raider
15-09-06, 01:31
Well it sounds like it makes sense PR, but really, Europe is most definitely not as rish as the US.

Sorry that you have to pay so much more UT. :( You're right, it really is unfair.

Lord Icon
15-09-06, 01:39
What's not fair??? If you import a product it will cost more than a product that is made locally. That goes both ways. If something is made here is easier to distribute, market etc. Therefore it will be cheaper here. If something is made there (UK) it will be cheaper locally but more expensive everywhere else (countries that import that product). That's how it works. Simple economics. Blame the EU for import tariffs they set and not anybody else. But... hell... it's easier to blame others than yourself.

So I don't want to hear any Americans complaining about the price of things...

Or what??? We will complain as much as we want.

Tired of this crap... "Oh... you're getting best deals" and similar. We make it we get better deal. You make it you get better deal. Blame the governments and their trade polices. If you pay for an imported product more than others is because YOUR government set trade polices that way. There is no rip-off unless it's from your own government.

Mad Tony
15-09-06, 06:08
:mad:
I can't wait to move to America.
Even old and unpopular 360 games are expensive here.

TR FAN 18
15-09-06, 07:04
Yes, the price of games in the UK SUCKS! PS3 & Wii games are gonna be £49.99 in the UK, which is a RIP OFF! I NEVER pay anymore than £25 for a game. £425 is just RIDICULOUS! The Wii will probably be about £150 which is A LOT CHEAPER!

VonCroy360
15-09-06, 08:33
If it´s any help, non English speaking European countries have to pay lots more than the UK buyers.

True. And... we get most of the games few weeks later than the UK. :(

thepetemaster
15-09-06, 09:54
The sad fact is that many Euro conversions, have all the extra translations added - ie French/spanish etc. This is why the cost is invariably higher and the games take longer to come out. At least the new console will be region free. I import for my GC and I usually save money and get the games alot faster.

Nintendo fans in Europe are going to get the shaft again though, due to poor sales of GC in Europe. This means the company will now be focussing primarily on the NA and Jap market. A real shame - as I'm sure it will be a great piece of kit, and it has a strong launch line-up. The price point for the NA release is looking very reasonable, and I am hoping it will translate into something nice for us EU gamers. If it doesn't the importing option will be my preferred route.

highonlollypops
15-09-06, 10:26
can't you be a little patient and wait a few months? i bought PC Legend for £19.99 in a shop in buckinghamshire in July

Thorir
15-09-06, 10:30
can't you be a little patient and wait a few months? i bought PC Legend for £19.99 in a shop in buckinghamshire in July

If you are a fan, being patient is impossible!
I got up before 5 AM the day Legend was released and waited hours for the shops to open, I couldn´t sleep! Wait a few months? Are you MAD?!

Tombreaper
15-09-06, 22:27
Just read this article on gamesradar.com

So £31 is all Americans pay for a next gen game? That's so unfair. It's a rip off! Us folks in the UK have to pay £50 which is about $90. Luckily you can get the games cheaper at Tesco for £40 but that still isn't the point. We are getting ripped off in the UK and Europe.

Another example. In the USA a premium PS3 will cost $599 which is just over £300! Us UK folk are being charged £425! :mad:

So I don't want to hear any Americans complaining about the price of things...you are getting the best deal!

Be happy, the US is already bankrupt, so they don't care about prices.
Europe is still unhealty rich, one of the reasons ff course are the high taxes on all products here.

highonlollypops
16-09-06, 12:53
If you are a fan, being patient is impossible!
I got up before 5 AM the day Legend was released and waited hours for the shops to open, I couldn´t sleep! Wait a few months? Are you MAD?!
sure i'm a fan, i wouldn't be here if i wasn't. BUT i'm also broke - permanently

K.J
16-09-06, 14:11
I buy almost all my games from play-asia.com:)

They sell Prey for 21.42 £:D.
At GAME in Wimbledon Prey costed 49,99£ last time I cheked.

rika2
16-09-06, 14:45

60€ PC legend costed when it came out... If I recall... 70€ for consoles

Sofitegan
16-09-06, 18:00
This is why i never buy video games... :p

taika
16-09-06, 19:54
I'm pretty sure video games (and games console) prices are based on economy. As in how much the average people in the country earn etc, so although it may seem higher, its probably not really... hard to explain

Geck-o-Lizard
16-09-06, 20:23
This is why I always buy second-hand games. :whi:

Thief 3 is the only game I've bought new, and it was £30 ($60). The price was worth it though; it's now one of my all-time favourite games. :D