PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii: American Launch Details.

Melonie Tomb Raider
15-09-06, 19:10
I noticed one for Europe, so I figured I should make a thread for us Americans. :)

250$ USD launching on Nov 19th

Though Nintendo won't say it publicly until an event Thursday morning, today's issue of the New York Times has already answered the questions on millions of gamers' minds: When will the Wii go on sale? What will it cost? How many games will it have at launch?

As it turns out, the console will arrive on Sunday, November 19, in North America and South America, according to the Times. That puts the console's launch just two days after that of its archrival, the PlayStation 3, which has recently seen its own debut scaled down.

But while only 400,000 PS3s will be available at launch, the Times claims that the Wii will be "far more available in stores this holiday season" than its competitor due to its cheaper and simpler form factor.

As many suspected, the console will cost $250 in the US, according to the article. Since Nintendo executives have repeatedly said it would be under $250, the likely final price will be $249.99 or $249.95. It will also reportedly have over 25 first- and third-party games available at launch, with up to 30 on shelves by the end of the year.

But while many had hoped for a $199 console, the Wii will have something not seen since in a Nintendo launch the SNES--a game packed in with a console from day one. (Note: Several GameCube bundles were offered post-launch.) As rumored, the console will come with the Wii Sports compilation that was shown off at E3 earlier this year. The game comp will allow players to engage in bouts of baseball, bowling, golf, and tennis using the Wii's motion-sensing controller.

"Our goal is to bring gaming back to the masses," Nintendo of America president and chief operating officer Reggie Fils-Aime told the Times. "You see that in our pricing, you see that in the number of units we plan to make available this year and you see that in how we are positioning the Wii to appeal to every member of the household, including but not limited to the hardcore gamer."

The Times also re-confirmed that the most anticipated game for the Wii, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, will be available by the end of the year, as will Excite Truck. However, the first Mario game for the console will now reportedly not arrive at retail until 2007.

The article also claims the Wii will have Web-surfing capabilities akin to that of a home computer. "Perhaps most intriguing, the Wii will make it possible to browse the Web on the television," said the report. Microsoft's Xbox 360 does not permit this because that could negate the need to buy a Windows PC." Attempts to clarify the Wii's exact Internet capabilities with Nintendo reps had been unsuccessful as of press time, most like because of the late hour.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6157572.html?tag=topslot;action;1

Mona Sax
15-09-06, 19:12
I'm still amazed by how much the console offers for a ridiculously cheap price. If I wanted to buy a console, it'd be either this one or the X360.

Melonie Tomb Raider
15-09-06, 19:14
I'm definitely getting the PS3 and the Wii. :) Still thinking about a 360, I'm not totally sure.

Mona Sax
15-09-06, 19:17
PS3's too expensive for me. I know they're effectively losing money by selling them, but it's still too much for a pure gaming console, and I'm not convinced I'm ever gonna need a Blu-Ray player, either.

Samsdad
15-09-06, 19:19
I already have an XBox360 and I do not see anything that a PS3 offers over and above what I get from the 360 that is worth $600 plus The Wii on the is looking very attractive as a potential XMas prospect.

K.J
15-09-06, 19:22
You americans are so lucky. You can start playing on your new Wii 19. November, but we europeans have to wait for 8. Desemer:(

Gonna be a great weekend for you guys in America. PS3 17. nov and Wii 19.nov:)

illuminati30
15-09-06, 19:32
I made one for you US people yesterday. Where were you Mel? :tea: Not to worry!

Who has seen the new Red Steel footage? Wooo haaaa!!

Melonie Tomb Raider
15-09-06, 19:54
I don't mind the price for the PS3. From what I've seen so far, you get what you pay for. We'll see though. ;)

Edit: oops. I must have missed your thread illuminati! :eek: By the way, how are you? Haven't heard from you in a little while. :)

illuminati30
15-09-06, 20:49
I don't mind the price for the PS3. From what I've seen so far, you get what you pay for. We'll see though. ;)

Edit: oops. I must have missed your thread illuminati! :eek: By the way, how are you? Haven't heard from you in a little while. :)

LOL! No worries!

I am grand, quite excited about Wii!!! Was telling a friend on MSN about pre-ordering it, and he said 'What is it?' Showed him, and he was like ohhhhhh!! I must have it! LOL! Think i will need to pre-order, as these babies are going to fly running up to Christmas!

How are you? What games will you get with it? Have you seen the new Red Steel trailer :yik: I really want this game! Also looking forward to Metroid Prime 3, Zelda, Resident Evil, and Rayman.

Melonie Tomb Raider
16-09-06, 05:38
I'm doing great! :D Also really looking forward to the Wii.

I'll most definitely buy Metroid Prime 3, Zelda, Smash Brothers Brawl, and that new Mario game! :jmp: Still looking into the other stuff too. And yeah, Red Steel looks incredible! :eek:

raiderfun
16-09-06, 17:46
I'm still amazed by how much the console offers for a ridiculously cheap price. If I wanted to buy a console, it'd be either this one or the X360.
Yes , it's amazing , compared to the PS3 for example :vlol:
On dit Oui a la wii !!