PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 set-up question

Dingaling
16-09-06, 18:14
Today, for an early birthday present, I got an Xbox 360 (I know I should use 'a' but 'an' flows better) and five games (3 which I don't think will work because I'm not sure if my TV is 60Hz compatible, LoL!).

And now you're going to hear the most stupid question ever: How do I turn it on?

No, seriously. I've connected everything and the big power thing where you put the plug thing in has an orange light (standby, right?) sooo... where do I go from there? I've pressed some random buttons on the console and nothing has worked, I've checked and checked the power supply and cables to make sure everything is correct and I've check all the manuals... but... I can't turn it on. Have I done something wrong?

Can someone please help the most stupid person ever, LoL? Oh, and yes, I got TRL (now the fourth version I have of the game!).

Thanks in advance for any help :)

EDIT: I just know this is gonna be something simple -_-

UNDERTAKER
16-09-06, 18:20
Ok.

The orange light you see is on the power brick. Press the big button at the front of the console to turn it on.

Dingaling
16-09-06, 18:24
I haven't even got that far UT! :| Nothing is flashing red - just the big power brick (the thing that is pretty big, black-ish, got stripes on it) has a standby light, that is all. The console has *nothing* happening to it. I'll try the AV cable again, I did have some problem with that so it may not be fully connected right. Hopefully this will get it to work :)

Night Crawler
16-09-06, 18:27
Hello...is it me you're looking for? http://www.yuranlu.com/images/xbox_power_button.jpg

UNDERTAKER
16-09-06, 18:27
So what's the problem? The brick is supposed to have a light on it. If everything is connected up then press the big circle button on the front of the 360 console beside the controller ports.

Edit - Exactly Nightcrawler. That's the button I'm referring to. PRESS IT! :D

Dingaling
16-09-06, 18:31
I press it and nothing happens :p I could make a video of me *repeatedly* pressing it to show it doesn't work but I'm camera-shy.

I fear my problem is the cable that connects to the power brick. The one that has the plug attachment. It doesn't seem to go correctly in. *Keeps trying*

EDIT: My hands are gouting from trying to check all the cables and it does seem the plug attachment to the power brick is not in right but I can't seem to get it in any further and I am giving up for now. They really should make setting up consoles idiot proof.

illuminati30
16-09-06, 19:50
Plug the brick into the back of the console, until it clicks into place, (Similar to a PC cable) You won't have to force it. Plug the power supply into the brick.

Put the AV cable into the back of the TV, and the other end into the console.

You can put the power on using the button on the front, or holding in the buton on the controller.

PS>>>

Your TV probably will display 60Hz mode. I am using the oldest Colour TV you could imagine, and it works. Certain games, like Oblivion require 60Hz mode. Go into the Xbox settings, and change to 60Hz. Its very easy. If you don't do this, the game picture and sound, might appear scrambled.

Getting it on should no be hard! LOL! What games did you get?

Mad Tony
16-09-06, 21:18
Your tv should be able to cope with 60Hz mode.
I have a old, small TV (colour of course) and 60Hz works fine. :)

Dingaling
17-09-06, 10:35
Well, I have power now (finally, yay) but no picture or sound. I think my Xbox 360 hates me (or my TV). And thanks for the info. about 60Hz, at least I (hopefully) won't have to return some games :D As for the games I got:
Tomb Raider Legend (preowned, I saw £50 new and my face went like this: =O )
Oblivion
Dead or Alive 4
King Kong (preowned)
Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires (preowned)

I kept seeing £50 in GAME and I weren't letting people pay that for a game for me.

Agent Dee
17-09-06, 10:52
well first make sure you have the AV cable hooked firmly to the back of the 360 and that you have the ends hooked up to the tv (make sure you match the red to red, white to white, etc :tea: ). Your tv may have more than one input for hooking multiple items to it (mine has 2 but only one has SVHS :( ), make sure you have your tv set to INPUT or VIDEO 1 or whatever mode it has to be set to (each tv is different ;) ).

illuminati30
17-09-06, 13:01
Any luck getting it to work yet?

Dingaling
17-09-06, 13:32
Got it working now, there was a problem with another piece of equipment we use. But after some crabitness, we're good to go (we being mum and I).

illuminati30
17-09-06, 14:05
Got it working now, there was a problem with another piece of equipment we use. But after some crabitness, we're good to go (we being mum and I).

LOL! Oh dear!

Glad you got it working though :tmb: Remember you will need 60Hz mode for Oblivion.

Dingaling
17-09-06, 14:33
Yeah, 60Hz sort of works, LoL. The picture moves down the screen about 20% (or TRaiding this: Only one line out of two of the subtitles in Legend can be read). Hopefully the games will have some sort of screen positioner.

Btw: Legend is absolutely gorgeous! It's beautiful! "I'm falling in love all over again." I liked the little "Achievement Unlocked" thing that came up on the screen, I felt proud :D

illuminati30
17-09-06, 15:54
Yeah, 60Hz sort of works, LoL. The picture moves down the screen about 20% (or TRaiding this: Only one line out of two of the subtitles in Legend can be read). Hopefully the games will have some sort of screen positioner.

Btw: Legend is absolutely gorgeous! It's beautiful! "I'm falling in love all over again." I liked the little "Achievement Unlocked" thing that came up on the screen, I felt proud :D

Bolivia on the 360 is one of the most stunning looking levels i think i have ever seen. That is my favorite Legend Level. Wish it was longer :(