PDA

View Full Version : This is disgusting!

TR freak
20-09-06, 12:06
I'd never traded in games before so before today I never knew it was so disgusting. I was going to trade in four PS2 games. They offered me 5 for all of them put together. Its disgusting! Together I payed about 70 for them. Its such a rip off. In the end I decided not to trade them in. I think its just disgusting. 5 for each individual game would be fair but there's no way in hell four games are worth only 5 put together. Anyone else find what you get for trading in games is disgusting?

Kamrusepas
20-09-06, 12:08
Not including the title, you used the word 'disgusting' four times in one paragraph.

I've never thought of trading games, but it doesn't sound like a good deal.

interstellardave
20-09-06, 12:10
True. You have to trade them in when they're relatively new and still "hot". Those games may currently sell for a lot less than you originally paid for them, which is a gaurantee that you'll see very little.

tr_mitch
20-09-06, 12:10
Who the hell did you try and sell them to?
Tourists? I'll give you £5 and this camel :D

TR freak
20-09-06, 12:21
Tourists? I'll give you 5 and this camel :D
I'd have taken the camel. Then I would have traded it in and got another 5.

Satu
20-09-06, 12:21
Not worth trading them in, they give you absolutely nothing for them it's a rip off and they usually don't accept older games.

Tourists? I'll give you 5 and this camel :D

and a pick of one my 12 daughters :D

tr_mitch
20-09-06, 12:22
and a pick of one my 12 daughters :D
I'll give you 10 Jewels for the blonde. :D

Satu
20-09-06, 12:25
I'll give you 10 Jewels for the blonde. :D

100 Jewels & your horse and you can have all 12 :D

illuminati30
20-09-06, 12:52
One word!

ebay!

K.J
20-09-06, 12:56
Where did you try to trade them inn? GAME?

Mad Tony
20-09-06, 13:01
Where did you try to trade them inn? GAME?
GAME are much better than that.
They gave me about 30 for 5 games.

TR freak
20-09-06, 13:02
Yes it was GAME.

Mad Tony
20-09-06, 13:04
Yes it was GAME.
:yik:
What games were they?

TR freak
20-09-06, 13:10
:yik:
What games were they?
Terminator 3 the redemption. Fifa 2004, Fifa street, Star trek voyager elite force. Granted they're not new games but still I should get at least 5 for each.

Neteru
20-09-06, 13:29
It really does depend on the game as to what they offer you. The last game I traded in I got £15 for it, though I can't even remember what game it was.

Lara's Boy
20-09-06, 13:40
Well, like Neteru and Dave have said, it really depends on the game.
When the Capcom Vs. Marvel 2 came out, I resold mine only a few months after it came out, and the checker told me that they were sold out so it was a precious commodity...I only got $16.00 when I payed $40 for it. So it just depends on if you bought the game new in the first instance, and if you did, how popular the game is.

Edit: Just saw the titles of the games.....yeah, you might deserve a bit more than the amount they offered....but not too much.

Rivendell
20-09-06, 14:32
I once tried to trade in about 6 or 7 games - common though they were - they were still undamaged, I was offered 12quid for them. Ebay is the way to go for selling games ;)

PirateRose
20-09-06, 14:37
I once tried to trade in about 6 or 7 games - common though they were - they were still undamaged, I was offered 12quid for them. Ebay is the way to go for selling games ;)

Awww, why didn't I think of ebay!!!

I sold my Gameboy Advanced Sp and about 6 games all for $65. I got that game boy the day it came out, its was like $95 I believe. The games where about $20-$40 each.

yes, it seems as though game stores like to rip off.

Mad Tony
20-09-06, 14:40
Terminator 3 the redemption. Fifa 2004, Fifa street, Star trek voyager elite force. Granted they're not new games but still I should get at least 5 for each.
Hmm...what were the games like condition wise?
But I would say 10-15 for that list.
Not 5

da tomb raider!
20-09-06, 14:44
My sister once traded in about 10 games in a shop called GAME. There was about 160 (About $300-320) worth of games there, and she said she could of got 30 (About $60-65) for it. Luckily, she didn't bother with it.

in these arms
20-09-06, 15:33
I'd never traded in games before so before today I never knew it was so disgusting. I was going to trade in four PS2 games. They offered me £5 for all of them put together. Its disgusting! Together I payed about £70 for them. Its such a rip off. In the end I decided not to trade them in. I think its just disgusting. £5 for each individual game would be fair but there's no way in hell four games are worth only £5 put together. Anyone else find what you get for trading in games is disgusting?

Well, it depends on the games condition....And maybe on how old the games are.

Elysia
20-09-06, 15:43
The games shops are businesses, out to make money. They can only sell older second hand games for around a fiver each - they're hardly going to give the seller top dollar for a game they aren't going to get good money for... it may not be right, but it's the way it is. (Although maybe not for long if Sony get their own way...)

Ward Dragon
20-09-06, 15:56
I've never traded games in because it is such a rip off. I've got a bookshelf at home that is about 6 feet tall and 2 feet wide and it's overflowing with games (there's a pile on the floor of what didn't fit, in addition to CD's stacked on the top of the bookshelf) :p I have bought used games, though, and I would imagine that for the price I got my used games, they probably didn't pay too much to the person selling them back. At least it's not quite as bad as college bookstores--They'd give you $30 back for a textbook that cost you $150 and then they'd turn around and sell it used for $130 :mad: (I've still got all of my college textbooks too:p)

@Elysia: What is Sony up to? I haven't heard much about them lately so I don't know what you are referring to.

TR freak
20-09-06, 16:31
Hmm...what were the games like condition wise?
But I would say 10-15 for that list.
Not 5
Thats the amount I was expecting. And the games were in perfect condition btw. Yep its fair to say I'll never trade in any games ever. Its a rip off. I'm guessing the only way you get a decent amount is if the games are really new. I should take in tomb raider legend and pretend to trade it in just to see how much they offer me.

-DEBUG
20-09-06, 17:30
The amount of money you recieve depends on how old they are, there condition and how many they actually have in stock. Like in Gamestation Splinter Cell on Xbox is like £1 cos they have 13 or so copies. The number of Legends is building up there as well :whi:

***Lara_Lover***
21-09-06, 00:40
Oh my...

come to my place n ull be a rich

I sold 2 games, I dont remember it was crazy taxi and a wwf game?

or it was a dancing game without its mat..

and I got around/more than $40

I feel sorry 4 u!!:(

Hybrid Soldier
21-09-06, 01:18
I'd never traded in games before so before today I never knew it was so disgusting. I was going to trade in four PS2 games. They offered me 5 for all of them put together. Its disgusting! Together I payed about 70 for them. Its such a rip off. In the end I decided not to trade them in. I think its just disgusting. 5 for each individual game would be fair but there's no way in hell four games are worth only 5 put together. Anyone else find what you get for trading in games is disgusting?

That's nothing.

I sold my Sims 2 for under a dollar. Not kidding. It was for PC and they asked me if i still wanted to sell it. I didn't really care.

I sold 3 games and got around $15 in total. This was at EB games.

TR freak
21-09-06, 17:31
That's nothing.

I sold my Sims 2 for under a dollar. Not kidding. It was for PC and they asked me if i still wanted to sell it. I didn't really care.

I sold 3 games and got around $15 in total. This was at EB games.
Why would you sell it for only that much? I would have thought you wouldn't take it when they offered you that much. You must really hate the sims 2 to do that. As soon as they offered me the 5 I was out of there. No way in hell would I allow someone to rip me off like that. If I really want to get rid of them I'll just sell them on ebay. I probably wont bother tho.

Night Crawler
21-09-06, 17:39
You have to keep in mind that the people at Game need to make a profit from these games...if they're not popular titles, you're not gonna get much for them because they are more unlikely to re-sell.

I agree with the person who recommended eBay, theres always someone on there looking for what you have. One man's trash is another man's treasure. ;)

Scottlee
21-09-06, 18:00
What were the four games?

RAID
21-09-06, 18:04
Same thing happened to me once on an Auction site. They wanted to pay me 1/4 price of one game for all three

rika2
21-09-06, 18:07
why sell games? they look so pretty in bookshelves...

Elysia
21-09-06, 18:28
@Elysia: What is Sony up to? I haven't heard much about them lately so I don't know what you are referring to.
Sony are trying to make it that when you go to buy a game, you only buy the license to the game as opposed to the whole thing, meaning the physical game isn't actually yours to sell on, thus making the second hand game industry (for PS3 games, anyway) technically illegal. Whether it will come to anything... well, we'll see!

TR freak
21-09-06, 18:47
What were the four games?
Look on page 2 of this thread.

TR freak
21-09-06, 18:49
why sell games? they look so pretty in bookshelves...
I only wanted to so I could get a little bit of money towards lego star wars 2 so I could get it before I get paid at the end of the month. Another 10 would have been enough. Oh well I'll just have to wait about another week before I get it.

Scottlee
21-09-06, 19:38
Look on page 2 of this thread.

Ah. When I posted before I thought there was only a page 1 for some reason.

Alive_and_Funky
21-09-06, 19:41
That's nothing.

From what I've heard, if you sell pre-owned PC games you don't get much money at all, no matter what the game is.

Hybrid Soldier
21-09-06, 20:50
Why would you sell it for only that much? I would have thought you wouldn't take it when they offered you that much. You must really hate the sims 2 to do that. As soon as they offered me the 5 I was out of there. No way in hell would I allow someone to rip me off like that. If I really want to get rid of them I'll just sell them on ebay. I probably wont bother tho.

Nah. I didn't hate it that much, but i wasn't just going to take it back with me. I didn't want it.

If i was selling that game by itself than i would have said no, but i was trading other games in with it. So it didn't really matter.

From what I've heard, if you sell pre-owned PC games you don't get much money at all, no matter what the game is.

Yeah! That's what the guy said when i was selling it.

belter_21
21-09-06, 21:17
Depends. Do you own a boxed original i.e., first release copy of TR1, TR2 & TR3 on PC? Will you accept not much money at all for them? Oh goody ;)

Ward Dragon
22-09-06, 00:17
Sony are trying to make it that when you go to buy a game, you only buy the license to the game as opposed to the whole thing, meaning the physical game isn't actually yours to sell on, thus making the second hand game industry (for PS3 games, anyway) technically illegal. Whether it will come to anything... well, we'll see!

Wow. I'm definitely never going to get a PS3 then. First Sony's music CD's have spyware on them, and now they are trying to make used games illegal? They must be either foolish or desparate :( I would think that with all of the other consoles out there, plus PC games, the major appeal of the Playstation console is its wide selection of games. Take away the ability of the buyer to find old games legally and they'll cut out a lot of their customers I think.

Lenochka
22-09-06, 01:50
Disgusting... you make it sound like a conspiracy, Like a secret world domination plan or something hehe :D

I personally have always gotten a reasonable amount of money when exchanging games... i brought back 4 games last weekend and got $53 in store credit

TR freak
22-09-06, 06:35
Disgusting... you make it sound like a conspiracy, Like a secret world domination plan or something hehe :D

I personally have always gotten a reasonable amount of money when exchanging games... i brought back 4 games last weekend and got $53 in store credit
It is a conspiracy! They plan on ripping off everyone in the world. They'll make ppl trade in every single PS2 game in existence for only 1 each and then they'll sell every single game for 9.99. They'll trick us into thinking they're lowering there prices so every game is only 9.99 but truthfully they're selling games almost 10 more than what they gave us for trading them in. Then when they've made enough money from ripping us off they plan on buying nuclear weapons and it wont be long before they have complete world domination! We must stop them!

Pipolinne
22-09-06, 09:40
[COLOR="Green"]Perhaps you should stop trading games,then.Remember,you're helping the nuclear industry by doing so.

I knew about Sony,too,and I think its main point is trying to avoid games piracy,or more,precisely, allowing authorities to have definitive legal basis to arrest those who make it.

But,if we remember the scandal with the illegal software concealed in the cds,perhaps this plan won't go far.[ /COLOR]

Alive_and_Funky
22-09-06, 18:53
Depends. Do you own a boxed original i.e., first release copy of TR1, TR2 & TR3 on PC? Will you accept not much money at all for them? Oh goody ;)
I meant a used copy of, say, The Sims 2, KOTOR etc. I didn't think of a first release boxed original game. :)