PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Questions.

Lara Lover
02-10-06, 15:41
Hi everyone. :wve:

I could be getting an Xbox 360 for Christmas. :) I was just wondering which package to get? Also, What accesories should I buy after the console is purchased? Another thing is, Can I use my USB Wireless Adaptor with the 360 or, do you have to buy the Xbox 360 Wireless Bridge to connect wireless?

Thanks! :p

Mad Tony
02-10-06, 15:43
I would suggest getting the full pack.
I got the full pack and it's very good.
Wireless controller and everything.
Plus the 20Gb hard drive to save music onto it and play the music while you're playing your game.

Lara Lover
02-10-06, 15:49
Cool. These are some of the stuff I want to get whenever I do get my Xbox:

Xbox 360 Wireless Bridge.
Xbox 360 Play & Charge Kit.
Xbox 360 Live Vision Camera.
Xbox 360 Live 12 Month Gold Membership Card.
Xbox 360 Intercooler.

Are these worth all the money? :p

Mad Tony
02-10-06, 15:57

Xbox 360 Intercooler.

I don't know.
I got the full pack but nothing else.
Wireless is good though.

Lara Lover
02-10-06, 16:07
What games do you have for it? :)

illuminati30
02-10-06, 16:08

I could be getting an Xbox 360 for Christmas. :) I was just wondering which package to get? Also, What accesories should I buy after the console is purchased? Another thing is, Can I use my USB Wireless Adaptor with the 360 or, do you have to buy the Xbox 360 Wireless Bridge to connect wireless?

I don't know, but i would say, it is not a good idea to get a Core package, you will want all the other things as well :wve:

Lara Lover
02-10-06, 16:10
Yeah. That's what I'm thinking. Did you buy any other accesories? :p

Mad Tony
02-10-06, 16:11
What games do you have for it? :)
Fifa 06' and Topspin 2.
But I will be getting Fifa 07', Just Cause and Tony Hawks Project X.

interstellardave
02-10-06, 16:14

Xbox 360 Intercooler.

Get the premium by all means. I have the wireless bridge--but it'll work with other brands. I find it to be an upgrade over the Linksys one I had though. I never bought the play & charge kit, regular batteries seem to last me a long time--even cheap ones. I don't know anything about the camera (sorry). I also haven't bought the intercooler and have never had a problem, although my 360 is in a nice, ventilated, cool spot. There are a ton of good games though--and many more soon to come. Never been a better time to get a 360 IMO!

illuminati30
02-10-06, 16:19
Yeah. That's what I'm thinking. Did you buy any other accesories? :p

Yeah, i have bought the hard drive since then, because reading Oblivion from the disk only was severely over working the Xbox, plus the loading times were taking forever and a day.

:)

Lara Lover
02-10-06, 17:31
Yeah, i have bought the hard drive since then, because reading Oblivion from the disk only was severely over working the Xbox, plus the loading times were taking forever and a day.

Lol. Did you buy the Core Package then? :)

illuminati30
02-10-06, 18:49
Lol. Did you buy the Core Package then? :)

Like an idiot yeah :(

But i was seeing someone at the time who kept making me feel bad for spending my own cash on things.:(

Lara Lover
02-10-06, 19:13
Like an idiot yeah :(

But i was seeing someone at the time who kept making me feel bad for spending my own cash on things.:(

What games do you have and enjoy on it? :)

illuminati30
02-10-06, 19:16
What games do you have and enjoy on it? :)

Oblivion, Kameo, PREY, and Tomb Raider Legend.

Really want to get Dead Rising, Just Cause, Gears of War, Sonic, Alan Wake, FEAR, Assasins Creed, TR 8, RE 5, and a few more :wve:

What games did you have in mind?

Lara Lover
02-10-06, 19:18
Oblivion, Kameo, PREY, and Tomb Raider Legend.

Really want to get Dead Rising, Just Cause, Gears of War, Sonic, Alan Wake, FEAR, Assasins Creed, TR 8, RE 5, and a few more :wve:

What games did you have in mind?

Tomb Raider Legend.
Burnout : Revenge.
Test Drive Unlimited.
Just Cause.
Gun.

Would I still see the good graphics on a normal TV. Because, that is what I'll be using to play my games. A normal 14" TV. :p

illuminati30
02-10-06, 19:20
Tomb Raider Legend.
Burnout : Revenge.
Test Drive Unlimited.
Just Cause.
Gun.

Would I still see the good graphics on a normal TV. Because, that is what I'll be using to play my games. A normal 14" TV. :p

I am playing Xbox 360 on a 15 year old standard philips TV, and it still looks amazing :D :wve:

Samsdad
02-10-06, 20:05
Playing on an old motorola and it looks great. Will be upgrading to an HD-TV soon.

Games are;
COD2
Prey
Oblivion
Star Wars Lego 2
Half Life 2
Knights of the Old Republic
TRL
Chrome Hounds

Have Gears of War, COD3 on pre-order

Hybrid Soldier
02-10-06, 20:21

If you want to go all out. Get the Premium Package. Core is just for people who are new to gaming i guess.

Umm, it really depends on the package you get. If you get the Premium (as suggested) theres not really anything you have to buy because that package comes with everything.

Last question, i'm not sure.

Lara Lover
02-10-06, 20:38
I think I'm going with the Core package as my Mum says 300 is alot to spend for Christmas. :(

200 for Core. I'll buy a memory and TRL. ;)

illuminati30
02-10-06, 21:14
I think I'm going with the Core package as my Mum says 300 is alot to spend for Christmas. :(

200 for Core. I'll buy a memory and TRL. ;)

The Core package is ok, but you will probably want the hard drive as time goes on if you play massive games like Oblivion. They say it is not proven that the hard drive increases loading times, but for me it has. Apparently when they make games they do not take into account that the hard drive is even there, so you should probably be fine for most games. However, you will also need the hard drive if you want to connect to Xbox live, or play Xbox 1 games on the 360.

You will get a wired controller, which is fine, although i wish i had a wireless one as there are forever kids running about in and out of this place, and dogs and such like. Wireless one is a pretty cool gadget, but not a necessity. The Core package also comes with Standard AV cables. If you plan to get an HD TV in future, you will want the HD cables.

Just take your time, have a good think about it, read some reviews and and think about what you might need in future. If you do not need these gadgets yet then fair enough, and by the time you do, they might have came down in price individually by that time. Remember though, that if you buy the Core package at 200, it will cost you an extra 110+ (play.com prices) to get the extra things on their own.

You won't be dissapointed either way :wve:

Lew
02-10-06, 21:18
Get the full pack for 280 pounds i think it is. Its worth it, I got it for my birthday and love it!

Xenomrph
02-10-06, 23:25
If you have a choice, get the Premium pack; it saves you money in the long run, and the hard drive is really a necessity. If you don't get the harddrive ($60), then you'll need to get a memory card ($30-$40) or you won't be able to save your games. Also, the harddrive lets you download stuff through Xbox Live, like free demos, patches, game videos, and other stuff (as well as things that aren't free, like gamerpics, game add-ons, Xbox Live Arcade games, etc).

I love my 360. I got it specifically so I could play Dead Rising (which is an AWESOME game) but the first game I got for my 360 was actually Tomb Raider: Legend, which looks awesome on hi-definition graphics. It looks way better than the Xbox or PS2 versions.

I also have:
- Condemned (SCARY game. Holy crap)
- Perfect Dark Zero
- Saints Row (lots of fun)
- Doom (Xbox Live Arcade. If anyone else has it and wants to play co-op or deathmatch, let me know)

My gamertag on Xbox Live is Xenomrph 01.

viper456
03-10-06, 10:08
I also have:
- Condemned (SCARY game. Holy crap)

HAHAHA omg i had like 3 friends round for a few evenings whilst i completed that. Scared the hell out of me!!

Xenomrph
03-10-06, 10:38
HAHAHA omg i had like 3 friends round for a few evenings whilst i completed that. Scared the hell out of me!!
I have two words for you: "the locker". ;)
I know I nearly crapped my pants.

Lew
03-10-06, 17:25
Yeah get it, I downloaded F.E.A.R seen as it wouldnt run on PC well and just the demo made me scream specially when you climb down the ladders and she behind you! But I also download Tomb Raider Legend which is so much better on Xbox 360.

Marshmellow Bob
03-10-06, 18:57
I think the price difference is more than worth the extras in the full system over the core. Right now it's what, £200 for the Core System and £280 for the Full System. Main difference being the Hard Disk which is £70 on it's own, plus all of those other cool upgrades like wireless controller, hd-av cable, etc. :D

Hard disk is far more than worth it, cause it provides you with the Xbox Emulator to play the old Xbox games as well as 2GB is used for caching games. Allows them to run and load much quicker, plus it means you don't need a memory card just to have save games. Not to mention the really cool Arcade Marketplace games :D

Just so many reasons to buy the full package. I'm personally looking forward to the Microsoft TV and downloadable movies from Marketplace. :)

Samsdad
03-10-06, 19:05
I think the price difference is more than worth the extras in the full system over the core. Right now it's what, 200 for the Core System and 280 for the Full System. Main difference being the Hard Disk which is 70 on it's own, plus all of those other cool upgrades like wireless controller, hd-av cable, etc. :D

Hard disk is far more than worth it, cause it provides you with the Xbox Emulator to play the old Xbox games as well as 2GB is used for caching games. Allows them to run and load much quicker, plus it means you don't need a memory card just to have save games. Not to mention the really cool Arcade Marketplace games :D

Just so many reasons to buy the full package. I'm personally looking forward to the Microsoft TV and downloadable movies from Marketplace. :)

I agree. Welcome to the forums!

imaginarylight
04-10-06, 00:50
Im also thinking of getting one for dead rising but I dont have that musch money so I will have to get the core system is it really a big deal if I dont get premium or will the premium make everything better and more enjoyable?

thanks!

interstellardave
04-10-06, 01:42
Im also thinking of getting one for dead rising but I dont have that musch money so I will have to get the core system is it really a big deal if I dont get premium or will the premium make everything better and more enjoyable?

thanks!
The hard-drive enables you to download demos, game trailers, extra game content, etc., from Xbox Live. Also you can download Xbox Live Arcade games... believe me, that stuff is all worth it, and you don't have to actually pay for XBox Live itself to get that stuff--although some downloads cost a little bit of money themselves. Demos and trailers are always free though. Trust Illuminati30 when he says that the premium is worth it (he bought the Core and later decided to get the hard-drive anyway). Dead Rising is GREAT, btw...

SPECIAL NOTE TO EVERYONE: Don't expect all old Xbox 1 games to be playable just because you have the premium package though! Each game is supported by it's own little emulator program that will automatically download onto your hard-drive, and not all games are currently supported although they're always adding more games to the list... Backwards compatibility is the one thing that has been a disappointment with the 360--but IT IS getting better.

Xenomrph
04-10-06, 04:23
You're screwing yourself in the long-run if you buy the core package now, under the assumption that you're "saving money". Sure you're saving money up-front, but it will cost you a lot more later on when you want (or need) to buy those things later. The premium package comes with a wireless controller, the harddrive, and hi-definition video cables. Save up some more money and get the premium package, even if it means you wait a little while longer; you will be glad you did.

As for backwards compatability, here is the official list (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm) of what Xbox games work on the 360. They tend to release updates about every other month, it seems.

Crofty_Tomb
04-10-06, 14:08
When you want to save a game do you need to buy a memory card? Or is there one in... or is it saved on the harddrive. Can you delete the saved game file from the harddrive? (I guess you can, just reassuring..)

illuminati30
04-10-06, 16:20
When you want to save a game do you need to buy a memory card? Or is there one in... or is it saved on the harddrive

If you have no hard drive, yes you will need a memory card. You need one or the other, you can not save to the console.

Can you delete the saved game file from the harddrive? (I guess you can, just reassuring..)

Not sure what your question is here, but yes you can delete games from the hard drive. If you have a memory card, and you upgrade to the hard drive, you can transfer your saved games and gaming profile to the hard drive if you wish, or you can leave it where it is, or you can keep the momery card with your saved games if you want to be mobile with it.

Basically they are both forms of memory for the 360. Files can be written to and deleted. The only difference is the hard drive is a bigger form of memory than the memory card, and that the hard drive should (although not proven in anyway...yet!) speed up loading times. You also need it for Xbox live and playing Xbox games.

imaginarylight
04-10-06, 21:07
So the harddrive is able to save games and I dont need a memory card if i get the premium package?

how much are memory cards?
thanks!

Xenomrph
04-10-06, 21:16
So the harddrive is able to save games and I dont need a memory card if i get the premium package?

how much are memory cards?
thanks!
No, you don't need a memory card if you buy the premium package. There's some perks to having a memory card, but it's totally optional. For example, store kiosks will have slots for memory cards, where you can just... plug in your card and download free stuff right from their 360 display. Additionally, if you ever want to copy a saved game or whatever and load it on a friend's 360, you'd need a memory card for that.
Personally, I don't own a memory card.

As for how much they cost, it's $40 (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360memoryunit64mb/default.htm).

Shark_Blade
05-10-06, 09:33
How does the wireless controller work? when the battery die you can recharge it back? Is there a cable wire as an alternative to the wireless?

Xenomrph
05-10-06, 10:26
How does the wireless controller work? when the battery die you can recharge it back? Is there a cable wire as an alternative to the wireless?
Regular wireless controllers run off of a pair of AA batteries, which you change out when it dies. I suggest buying the "play and charge kit", which comes with a nickel-cadmium battery (which replaces the AA battery pack the controller comes with) and a recharge cord that plugs into the top of the controller, and then plugs into the front of the 360 (the wired controllers have regular USB plug ins) to recharge, and you can continue using the controller while it recharges. My controller burned through AA batteries really fast, but the rechargeable nickel-cadmium battery holds its charge for a LONG time.

The wireless controllers work great, too. I've used them while sitting in front of my 360 (as in, the unit was behind me, and the controller still worked). I've even tried using them in another room with a concrete wall separating the controller from the console, and it still responded.

Shark_Blade
05-10-06, 10:37
^wow sounds amazing:) thanks for the info Xenomorph:D