PDA

View Full Version : Lesson nightmare, need help!

AnthonyShock1515
02-10-06, 18:11
Ok, I have 2 issues that need fixing, I need some help...

1) Textiles

In my year, the classes are split in 2 groups, X and Y, I am in X. I chose textiles and I got the lists before the holidays. But these is something wrong that I don't like. I am the ONLY boy in the class, whereas to Y class has like 6!

I hate it, I don't know anyone, I can't even talk to anyone so Im just sat there quietly saying nothing while everybody is talking. I feel like such an idiot, I seen my teacher about it and I told her that I don't like the position I am in and if I could go into the to the other class. But she said unfortunatly no other boys chose the subject out of coincidence and I couldn't move classes as it would upset my timetable and it would be a right mess. What can I do, I've told my mother and she doesn;t know either. I dont wanna sit there bored out of my brains when I can't even talk to anyone or suggest ideas. I feel so isolated.:mad:

And next ussiue 2) History

I was disgusted when I found out who my teacher was this year. My head of year, I had him in Y8 and he was never in the classroom teaching us, he was always in his office answering calls and we never did any work, there was about a few lessons where he came out of his office and told us what we were doing, we never even finished the 1st topic and never started the other topics we had to do. It was good with no teacher there because we got to talk but after a whike it got boring and we wanted to have a lesson.

But Ive got this guy for GCSE! IM DOOMED!
How can I get a C or above sitting in a chair talking all lesson while he's phoning the local pub ordering his lunch!

And he sends most of us on messages. Once I had to go to the Admin block to get a carton of UHT MILK!!!
Im discusted. We were supposed to be doing Ireland essays, while the other classes finished thiers long ago. I understand he is busy but what screwup would assign him of all teachers to a GCSE history class. I don't know what to do or who to complain to, after all, he is my head of year so I'm practically screwed. Urgh. What can I do!!!

Titanium
02-10-06, 18:14
For your first problem, I know its difficult talking to strangers sometimes but thats probably the best way, chances are your going to be with them for quite a while so I would recomend you try to get to know them.

For your second problem, well thats a bit difficult to answer really. Give him a couple of more weeks and if it appears he really isnt helping then go talk to your headteacher about whats going on :)

Geck-o-Lizard
02-10-06, 18:18
Regarding your textiles class, is there any proper reason why you can't just talk to the people there and get to know them regardless of their gender? That's how you meet new people. I mean if they're deliberately pushing you away then that's another matter, but if it's just a case of you not knowing any of them very well, talk to them. Who cares if they don't have packages in their pants, they're still humans. :)

taika
02-10-06, 18:18
Just talk to the girls! They won't bite!! and just think you got a whole class of girls to yourself. ;) lol.
I don't think theres any boys in our school who do textiles for gcse.. i dunno though:confused:

Greenkey2
02-10-06, 18:20
Well for the first issue I would make a suggestion that you'll probably want to hang me for.....but try throwing yourself into it and see what happens. Imagine that you've done a Quantum Leap - swapping someone else's body and or life for a while. None knows it's really you inside, so have a go acting as you would imagine that person to act ;). You never know; it might be worth a shot.

*ducks cleaver*

As for the history one; this is a bit trickier. Does this teacher/deputy head actually realise that the class is suffering because he's not there enough? It would be a good move to try and speak to him - ask if you can make an appointment, and that it is a serious issue that you need resolved. You then have the opportunity to voice your concerns.

If he refuses/is unable to spare the time, you could take it to a higher authority. If you beleive that your eductaion - your GCSEs - will suffer because of this teacher, then you should raise it with whomever is in charge.

They're difficult problems Anthony, and I really hope you get them sorted out soon :wve:

Laras Backpack
02-10-06, 18:21
Ok, I have 2 issues that need fixing, I need some help...

1) Textiles

In my year, the classes are split in 2 groups, X and Y, I am in X. I chose textiles and I got the lists before the holidays. But these is something wrong that I don't like. I am the ONLY boy in the class, whereas to Y class has like 6!
Maybe if you got to know some of the girls you may make friends with them. If I were you I'd give the class a go for about a week and see if things improve. :)
GCSE lesson Time Tables are complicated. If you really want to move you may be forced to change some of your subjects.

And next ussiue 2) History
Your teacher sounds like a right jerk! I would advise you to complain but then that may cause tension between you and him making lessons uncomfortable. You could try talking to him directly in a calm and polite way about the concerns you have. It's your education and no one has the right to get in the way of it.
If he ignores you and the lessons continue the same way as before, go to the school governers or something as you've given him a chance and he has ignored you. If he gets angry just remember that it is his responsibility to teach and if he doesn't do this he is in breech of his job contract.

I hope it all works out for you. :wve:

AnthonyShock1515
02-10-06, 18:26
Its not that I don't want to talk to them, its just they are very distant to me, they don't talk to me, and I've heard them whispering about why Im the only one there. I'd rather just do Art & design which is only across the corridor and is still group X. I think if this keeps up that may be what I have to do...

Titanium
02-10-06, 18:30
If you really want to do textiles then still do it. But just sitting there alone isnt going to help you. Maybe wait until you find one of them away from there group and then try to talk to them. :)

Laras Backpack
02-10-06, 18:38
It's a shame that the girls are so distant. If things don't change you may have to decide whether you like textiles enough to put up with that kind of classroom atmosphere.

Camera Obscura
02-10-06, 18:48
Its not that I don't want to talk to them, its just they are very distant to me, they don't talk to me, and I've heard them whispering about why Im the only one there. I'd rather just do Art & design which is only across the corridor and is still group X. I think if this keeps up that may be what I have to do...
Just stick ito the class and make friends. I had a similar problem. I'm in a debate class with 12 other girls and a female teacher. I'm the only boy in the class but I was able to sit with my friends (girls) and make new ones as well. Just try making a conversation with them and picking out what you have in common, you'll probably make friends that way.

Think of it this way, by the time you get out of there you'll probably end up being a lady's man. ;)

Now for your irresponsibible teacher, I'd recommend you find more students, the bigger the group the better, and complain about the way he teaches. Keep complaining and explaining to the Big Guy in charge that your teacher isn't good and you guys are doing horrible.

Either he should change his ways or he should get fired because as a teacher he isn't doing a very good job at teaching. :wve:

Geck-o-Lizard
02-10-06, 19:06
Those who can, do.
Those who can't, teach. (No offense to any teachers here, I'm sure you're good at your job :D )
Those who can't teach, get promoted. :p

jackles
03-10-06, 17:01
First off all the people who said talk to the girls are spot on, now I guess you are 14 going on 15...and talking to a group of girls that age can seem awful but bite the bullet and you will be the envy of all your mates! It can work to your advantage when you get to know the girls! I bet they will help you more than they would another girl. My daughter was once the only girl in a class of 39 boys doing computing! She ended up having a great time! Even if you were in a class with boys you still might not know anyone. My son has started gcse spanish and didnt know anyone in the class.

Now as to the teacher...talk to your head of year about your concerns...make notes if he asks you to get milk etc and show your head of year. defence is the best offence!

And enjoy your classes!

Ward Dragon
03-10-06, 20:10
If talking to your history teacher doesn't help, and you can't complain to anyone above him, then maybe you can get a review book and study on your own? I had a chemistry teacher in high school who was incompetent and left in the middle of the year, leaving us with no teacher at all for a few months, so I ended up having to get a Barrons review book for chemistry and learn it on my own.

wantafanta
04-10-06, 01:37
I was the only boy in the class Senior year in Interior Design. None of the girls ever talked with me the whole semester, but I didn't mind. I just did my homework and raised my hand when I had to ask questions. I got a C in the class. We went on a field trip and I sat alone on the bus, but I didn't care. The only thing I didn't like is when the man in the furniture store said "OK girls, now follow me."

It sounds like the other teacher should get fired. That's absurd. Your parents should complain to the school board or somebody who is in charge. It should not be left to you.