PDA

View Full Version : Health and video games

Explorer
05-10-06, 12:36
Hi

No this has got nothing to do with playing video games for excessive hours or anything like that...a bit concerned really as I seem to be having problems when playing games these days, indeed its one of the reasons I have not really been posting.

I notice sometimes that my head feels slightly muzzy at times, not sure at all what that's about...recently I've had to start wearing glasses when using the puter because I complained about having really tired eyes. I haven't gone to see the doc about this problem, but has anyone experienced anything similar?
I am really hoping I won't have to stop playing games especially Tombraider ;)

Ada the Mental
05-10-06, 12:47
Now that you mention it I've been having quite a few headaches lately. And I've noticed it usually happens either when I spend too much time watching TV or using the PC either when I have a bath and get out with wet hair...
I really hope I won't have to wear glasses. My eyesight is perfect but maybe my eyes are getting tired or something...

Celephais
05-10-06, 12:56
Hi

No this has got nothing to do with playing video games for excessive hours or anything like that...a bit concerned really as I seem to be having problems when playing games these days, indeed its one of the reasons I have not really been posting.

I notice sometimes that my head feels slightly muzzy at times, not sure at all what that's about...recently I've had to start wearing glasses when using the puter because I complained about having really tired eyes. I haven't gone to see the doc about this problem, but has anyone experienced anything similar?
I am really hoping I won't have to stop playing games especially Tombraider ;)

Sounds like an eyestrain problem. I've also had that feeling. My advice; put the monitor quite far back from you. (I have mine about 4 feet or so) If you stare at a monitor too close to you, you eyes get tired, strained. There's a lot of wesbites that explain this in further detail. I don't know how often you play computer games.

Again; put the monitor further away from you Also change focus frequently, and make sure to look into the far distance every once in a while. Look at distant hills for a while or something like that.

Also, without wanting to sound boring, exericise can do you a lot of good and help with general health. I don't do much strenuous stuff, but often take a walk for a mile or two. I physically feel much better since taking up walking.

Pipolinne
05-10-06, 13:00
Keep a good distance
Low brightness to the mimimum
Wear sunglasses

And yes,I've the same problem,besides I'm very sensitive to the light.:)

Celephais
05-10-06, 13:06
Keep a good distance
Low brightness to the mimimum
Wear sunglasses

And yes,I've the same problem,besides I'm very sensitive to the light.:)

Yes I forgot about monitor brightness! Also try to keep monitor contrast at a medium level- too much is hard on the eyes, but if you set it too low then it's also hard on the eyes.

Also very important Play in a room with a light on Using a computer in the dark with nothing but the monitor light entering your eyes is very bad.

Celephais
05-10-06, 13:11
Here's a website I found that covers eyestrain in bit more depth

http://www.health24.com/medical/Condition_centres/777-792-810-1692.asp