PDA

View Full Version : Intel 950

only Croft
06-10-06, 18:01
Hi :wve:

My parents bouth a portable pc and as a graphic card they puted the Intel 950. I'm no expert so I ask you is this a good card, and will it run Legend.

Tnks in advanced

Joseph
06-10-06, 18:33
Onboard Intel chip will run Legend normal version, not Next Gen.

only Croft
06-10-06, 19:10
:hea: Damit tnks for the help anyway

abraham
07-10-06, 03:53
wait! do those cards have vertex shader and shader pixel on those cards?

jamieoliver22
07-10-06, 09:24
I really wouldn't have thought so. They arnt actual graphics cards but just a single graphics chip. They are only really basic and no designed for gaming at all.

The best thing to to is actually try it and see if Legend plays on it, but I wouldn't have thought it would play well if it did.

Jamie.

only Croft
07-10-06, 10:41
Well it has vertex shader 3.0 and pixel shadre 2.0 and that's all I can find about shader thingis.

Here's the link: http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/gma950.pdf

The guy in the store sayd the card was the best for games, I dought it since he sayd a ATI Radeon (my old one) coud run every game with no problem. Wicth of course it can't

Joseph
07-10-06, 17:15
Yes, the chip uses shader model 2.0, but Legend next Generation requires shader model 3.0.

Apart from this, the onboard chip is intended for Office application and normal internet use.
It is absolutely insufficient for gaming which is one of the most demanding tasks of a PC. Gaming requires a real graphic card. You may see a graphic card as a PC in itself, the GPU (graphic processor unit) and the GRAM (graphic random access memory) are completely dedicated to this enormous complex and extremely heavy task.

Oh, and learn to never believe sales promotion fairytales from manufacturers themselves: read test-reviews about graphic cards capabilities -or ask on this forum, we know all about it- before you buy one.

Cochrane
07-10-06, 18:38
That thing does not have vertex shader at all (or any vertex processing facality, for that matter). It emulates all this in the main CPU, which is very bad for performance.

only Croft
07-10-06, 18:45
:mad: Damm, I soooo am gonna kill my parents...something Ishoud have done a long time ago but.... Thanks for the help anyway

[EDIT]From what it says here it has a Centrino Dual Core 1.86G. Will that do any good???

Joseph
07-10-06, 19:33
It is a very fine CPU for the laptop. But the graphics part should be done by a dedicated graphics card. Many (gaming & media prepared) laptops have a 'mobile' version of a real graphics card. Of course, they are more expensive than the ones with "onboard graphix". <---that is the common term for a chipset-integrated graphics.

only Croft
07-10-06, 21:24
Well Spending More Money Ville here I come :D.

Thanks for all the help you are great :hug:

only Croft
09-10-06, 19:58
Well I'm gonna chose a diferent one now so wich one is better???
An ATI X1300 or an X700?

tnks

Joseph
09-10-06, 21:04
What are you planning? Change the onboard graphics of the laptop? Are you paying for it yourself? It is relatively expensive to change anything hardware wise on a laptop.

only Croft
09-10-06, 22:29
What are you planning? Change the onboard graphics of the laptop? Are you paying for it yourself? It is relatively expensive to change anything hardware wise on a laptop.

Well since the G card stinks, yes I was planing on changing it to one of the models I proposed above.

Joseph
09-10-06, 22:49
Changing the graphics (any hardware part) on a laptop is always a costfull business. Ask your parents if they are willing to spend any more. :wve:

only Croft
10-10-06, 07:41
Well me and my parents wood rether spend a bit more money and have a good laptop then having a crappy one. So wich one is better?? ATI X1300 or X700?

abraham
10-10-06, 12:05
OMG CAN YOU UPGRADE GRAFIX CARDS ON LAPTOPS WTF????? a guy at Hp said you cant, its in the motherboard? you sure you can? what laptop do you have?

dam i wanted to upgrade my sisters laptops one from ati 9000 to 9550.

The x700 is very powerfull card compared to 1300 but with x700 you cant play tombraider legend in next gen but 1300 can but is weak. x700 has shadel pixel 2.0 and vertex shader 2 but 1300 has shaderpixel 3.0 and vertex shader 3.0 i think? I would get a x700 since its way more stronger.

Joseph
10-10-06, 14:08
X1300 nor X700 will make your laptop run Legend in next generation mode. Also, it would be a waste to have this laptop changed.
You should realise that generally laptops are not built for gaming. The ones that are, are very expensive.

But if you insist, and want to have a real good graphic card buit in (if that is possible on your model), take the Mobility Radeon X1800 (http://www.ati.com/products/MobilityRadeonx1800/index.html). And make sure the laptop has sufficient onboard RAM, at the very least 512 MB but 1 GB recommended.

only Croft
10-10-06, 18:11
The x700 is very powerfull card compared to 1300 but with x700 you cant play tombraider legend in next gen but 1300 can but is weak. x700 has shadel pixel 2.0 and vertex shader 2 but 1300 has shaderpixel 3.0 and vertex shader 3.0 i think? I would get a x700 since its way more stronger.
take the Mobility Radeon X1800 (http://www.ati.com/products/MobilityRadeonx1800/index.html).And make sure the laptop has sufficient onboard RAM, at the very least 512 MB but 1 GB recommended.

The X1800 is a good card but its expensive and since the laptop is for ocasional gamming I guess I'll take the X700. Tnks for the help