PDA

View Full Version : Favorite storyline

devlish
08-10-06, 15:24
I don't know how to do one of those poll things, but I was wondering which TR had the best story.

My personal favorites are the Last Revelation and AOD. I really liked AOD's dark occult setting. I'm still curious what Core had in mind with the other two games they wanted to make.
And I'm a big Egypt fan so I really liked how they used the Horus and Seth Legends in TR4.

What about you guys?

da tomb raider!
08-10-06, 15:28
Only mods can create polls, by the way.
I thought all the TR storylines were awesome, except Legends. The whole "I want my mommy boo hoo" stuff made me sick.

Rivendell
08-10-06, 15:29
Tomb Raider 1 - Atlantis, bio-engineering mutants, great stuff :D Made me obsessed with Atlantis!

Tomb Raider 6 - The Nephilim :yah: I love that plot, it's so deep with lots of fictional history and myth behind it. Very well thought out, I wish we could've delved more into it :tmb: I really wanted to see more Nephilim Cappadocia, it's underground tombs, temples and lost cities, even 'Dinosaurs' according to Core. *Sobs*
Made me obsessed with Nephilim!

Tomb Raider 4 - Horus, Seth and the myths that entangle them.. Lara releasing the God of Chaos and having to discover artifacts to seal him again before the new millenium started, not 24 hours later. :D Made me obsessed with Ancient Egypt!

da tomb raider!
08-10-06, 15:31
Tomb Raider 1 - Atlantis, bio-engineering mutants, great stuff :D Made me obsessed with Atlantis!

Tomb Raider 6 - The Nephilim :yah: I love that plot, it's so deep with lots of fictional history and myth behind it. Very well thought out, I wish we could've delved more into it :tmb: I really wanted to see more Nephilim Cappadocia, it's underground tombs, temples and lost cities, even 'Dinosaurs' according to Core. *Sobs*
Made me obsessed with Nephilim!

Tomb Raider 4 - Horus, Seth and the myths that entangle them.. Lara releasing the God of Chaos and having to discover artifacts to seal him again before the new millenium started, not 24 hours later. :D Made me obsessed with Ancient Egypt!
Can you spell "Ditto"?! :D :jmp:

Rivendell
08-10-06, 15:33
Arr, tis a great word :D

TR freak
08-10-06, 15:38
TR4. Brilliant story. Lara is tomb raiding as usual when she accidently releases the evil god seth by removing the amulet of horus. Lara is in a race against time to stop seth and save the world. She must travel all across egypt, recover the pieces of the armour of horus and the amulet to put on the statue inside the great pyramid to entomb the evil god seth. Not only is she in a race against time, but in a race against her arch rival tomb raider, Werner Von Croy. Von Croy holds a grudge against lara for lara leaving him trapped years earlier in cambodia. Not only is she facing off against von croy but she is also facing off against seth when seth takes over von croys body. This story has everything. It has ancient egyptian gods, an end of the world plot, possesing bodies, great characters, a grudge between two main characters.

da tomb raider!
08-10-06, 15:40
TR4. Brilliant story. Lara is tomb raiding as usual when she accidently releases the evil god seth by removing the amulet of horus. Lara is in a race against time to stop seth and save the world. She must travel all across egypt, recover the pieces of the armour of horus and the amulet to put on the statue inside the great pyramid to entomb the evil god seth. Not only is she in a race against time, but in a race against her arch rival tomb raider, Werner Von Croy. Von Croy holds a grudge against lara for lara leaving him trapped years earlier in cambodia. Not only is she facing off against von croy but she is also facing off against seth when seth takes over von croys body. This story has everything. It has ancient egyptian gods, an end of the world plot, possesing bodies, great characters, a grudge between two main characters.
...although I'm sure all of us here already know that... (Both that TR4 has a brilliant story, and how the story goes...)

Mona Sax
08-10-06, 16:14
TR4 - I love Egyptian mythology
TR1 - Atlantis! Okay, it's stolen from Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, so what.

Anubis_AF
08-10-06, 16:18
Moved to General Chat.

Laras Backpack
08-10-06, 16:18
Tomb Raider 1: I love how it's slowly revealed that Natla is a one of the rulers of Atlantis!
Tomb Raider 4: awesome game, awesome story. Our first real look into Lara's past.
AOD: It's intricate, well researched and dark. I enjoyed watching it unfold and I really want to know how it all ended.

Kamrusepas
08-10-06, 16:39
AoD, duh :p Half-angels, secret socities, mystical powers, the overall darkness of the whole thing.

MiCkiZ88
08-10-06, 16:44
Tomb Raider 1 - one of the best stories.. And the best bad girl in tr :D (except for lara)
Tomb Raider 4 - Made me fall in love with mythology and made me travel to Egypt.. one of my favourite tr games ever :yah:
Tomb Raider AOD - A wonderfull story but it's sad that we never got to know what happens later on.. :( again.. made me love mythology and history even more...

Legends
08-10-06, 16:47
I liked TOMB RAIDER III:D

Mad Tony
08-10-06, 16:48
Tomb Raider I, II and III definitely. :D

Michiel
08-10-06, 16:52
AOD was a terrible story, TR5 hardly had a story, I would go for TR1, it might be old, but it's still the best explained, it's not random artifact searching. In cutscenes and FMVs you see Lara going to the next location, and you also see why she goed there.

Angel_14
08-10-06, 17:01
TR1, TR2, TR4 and AoD had a really great story for me! :D Legend had a nice storyline too, but they shouldn't mix that legend with Lara's personal life :(

Rivendell
08-10-06, 17:22
AOD was a terrible story

My god, what was so terrible about it? It was brilliant for the number of reasons people have already stated in this thread! :D

Angel_14
08-10-06, 17:26
My god, what was so terrible about it? It was brilliant for the number of reasons people have already stated in this thread! :D

Agree :D I see no reason, why the story was worse than any other TR's storyline...

and actually TR5 was the one, what didn't have a proper storyline, only 'remembering Lara'...

Michiel
08-10-06, 17:53
My god, what was so terrible about it?

AOD was a bad story for many reasons. It wasn't a real TR story. Tomb Raider is always based on an old myth or story (not sure for TR5, since that game didn't had an overall story, but all other games had an ancient story as base). In case of AOD, it was Nephilim.

Nephilim itself was a good story as base, but the story Core made around it wasn't. They put Lara somewhere in Paris, not knowing what to do, only having 1 note with an address where to go. When you get there, you get a notebook and have to spend another time with the notebook to find out what to do.

In for example TR1, you really had an objective: find the scion. After finding it, Lara located a second piece (braking in Natla's office), and you needed to find that. Then she had a vision, with the third one to find. The gameplay is actually raiding the tombs, like you should. In AOD you first need to find out what to do, by talking to people, making dumb mistakes (like switching power off in Strahov, causing lots of trouble) because you have no clue and stuff like that. You spend half of the time as detective. Nephilim and the paintings was a very tiny part of the story, while in TR1 everything was about Atlantis and the Scion.

Rivendell
08-10-06, 17:55
The Nephilim and the paintings was the whole point of Tr6! How are they just a 'very tiny part of the story' when the whole mythology/background/motivation and storyline of the game are about and revolving around them? :wve:

StarCroft:AOD
08-10-06, 18:06
For me, the best storyline, is the one of TR:AOD. :)

Followed by TR III and TR:TLA.

Apofiss
08-10-06, 18:17
AoLC and AoD, won't judge its stories as these are my faves.. just because XD

Michiel
08-10-06, 18:21
The Nephilim and the paintings was the whole point of Tr6!

I wish it was. If they wanted to make a real story about Nephilim, they should have made Lara search for 3, 4 or even all 5 paintings. And they should have made Lara go to the sleeper, not taking the sleeper all the way to Prague. Did you ever see a real TR game where the big ending took place in a high-tech building in a city? A short summery of Tomb Raider.

TR1: Lara searching 3 scions, big ending in Atlantis
TR2: Lara searching for artifact to open temple, big ending below great wall of China
TR3: Lara searching for 4 artifacts, ends in meteorite cavern Antartica
TR4: Lara searching for many pieces of armor of Horus, ends in Temple
TR5: No story :p
TR6: Lara finds 2 paintings, level ends in Strahov building :(
TR7: Lara looking for sword pieces all over the world, ending in Bolivia

In all other games that had a story, Lara needed to find artifacts and then go somewhere for the end of the game, with a boss fight on location.

So basicly, if they wanted to make a good story about Nephilim, they had to make Lara finds more then 2 paintings and travel to Turkey, cause that is where the sleeper came from. And they could have made a great ending there.

Also, they should have started the story better. Not kill Von Croy before he could ask Lara to find the painting in the Louvre. Then she could go straight into the Louvre, and after then straight to the Vault. The non-Nephilim story around it is way to big.

Angel_14
08-10-06, 18:24
Did you ever see a real TR game where the big ending took place in a high-tech building in a city? A short summery of Tomb Raider.

Err... TR5? :whi:

Michiel
08-10-06, 18:30
TR5 had no big ending, remember? TR5 had 4 different stories, not 1 ;)

Angel_14
08-10-06, 18:32
Oh, excuse me... I played with it a long time ago...

But anyway, overall I enjoyed them all *shrugs*:)

Rivendell
08-10-06, 18:38
Hmm, well I'm sorry you feel that TR6's plot was bad! I was a bit miffed we didn't get to go to Turkey for the Sleeper, but all that was for the next game in Cappadocia. Just because it was in a secret laboratory doesn't make it a bad storyline - it's full enough already :tmb:

Pieter Van Eckhardt was a 15th Century evil alchemist who created a powerful weapon called the Sanglyph. To keep the Sanglyph safe, Eckhardt split it into five pieces and hid a piece behind a painting he created, depicting evil images.

Eckhardt grew ever more evil and powerful through alchemy. He eventually created an order known as The Cabal which consisted of an alliance between five powerful alchemists including Eckhardt. He eventually prepared to resurrect an extinct cross-angelic race known as the Nephilim which is the reason why he created the Sanglyph. He believed that using the Nephilim he would gain power over the world. Because of his intentions, an order called the Lux Veritatis was born to stop Eckhardt and the Cabal. The other members of the cabal eventually were all murdered by Eckhardt to retain the secrets they held. The Lux Veritatis acquired the Periapt Shards, ancient weapons of light that were used to make the Nephilim race extinct in biblical times. The three shards were used against Eckhardt who became trapped in a state of paralysis. The Lux Veritatis led by Brother Obscura sealed Eckhardt in a deep pit and he was left there for 500 years. The seal on Eckhardt would only last if the three Periapt shards remained combined. Brother Obscura then confiscated the five paintings that contained the pieces of the Sanglyph. He painted religious images over the evil ones and hid each painting separately at hidden locations throughout the land. The paintings were christened the Obscura Paintings. A copy was made of each painting. These copies were known as the Obscura Engravings. Each copy contained an encoded map to the location of the original painting.

During 1945, something happened and one of the shards became separated from the other two. It is a possibility this happened because of an event linked to World War II. Eckhardt was free and he escaped the pit which he had spent the last 500 years in pain. He vowed revenge against the Lux Veritatis and revived the Cabal and based it in his hometown of Prague. The new Cabal became devoted to hunting down any members of the Lux Veritatis. Eckhardt also managed to obtain the Periapt shard that had been separated from the other two which still remained in the possession of the Lux Veritatis. He hid the shard in his old laboratory, deep underground beneath the Strahov, the HQ of the Cabal.

After he hid his shard, Eckhardt and the Cabal set out to reclaim the five Obscura paintings, in order to acquire the Sanglyph. By the time Lara had become involved in the plot, the Cabal had already attained three of the five paintings. Eckhardt then hired Werner Von Croy to find the last two. Von Croy did learn of the location of the fouth painting beneath the Louvre from the Obscura engravings, but he never informed Eckhardt, because by that time, Von Croy had learnt of the true, evil side of Eckhardt. Although Von Croy was murdered, Eckhardt was not responsible.

Lara found the two remaining paintings which Eckhardt then reclaimed off her before retreating to his old laboratory under the Strahov. He then started to finish what he started 500 years ago....reviving the Nephilim race. The Cabal had retrieved the last Nephilim specimen from Turkey: a Nephilim body which had been nicknamed the Sleeper. To revive the sleeper Eckhardt needed body parts, which he harvested from the victims he killed using his glove. During a final confrontation in his laboratory with Lara, Eckhardt starts the process of reviving the Sleeper. He battles Lara using the Sanglyph, but he is eventually killed by Karel, his right-hand man in the Cabal, who stabs Eckhardt with the third Periapt Shard right in the forehead. His vision of reviving the Nephilim never came to pass.

Pretty good plot if you ask me :whi: :D

sam_raider_05
08-10-06, 18:39
In order of story preference:

TR
TR TLR
TR II
TRL
TR III
TRC (No story lol)
TR AOD - Worst TR story ever! So un-tombraidery and cheaply executed.

Paul H
08-10-06, 19:02
For me, AOD has easily the best story of all the games.

Michiel
08-10-06, 19:06
Pretty good plot if you ask me :whi: :D

That is the background story you walk about. But I'm talking about the game itself. In this whole story, Lara comes in when 3 paintings have already been found and number 4 has been located. Also the sleeper has been found already and has been transported to the Strahov before Lara gets to know about it.

So don't get me wrong: they have a good background story. But Lara gets in the story way to late. Also it included to many other characters. The story of the game itself is more then the background story. And they failed writing a good story around Nephilim.

keebz
08-10-06, 19:18
I haven't played TR4 fully, so that doesn't count. Here's my list:
1. TRAOD
2.TR1
3.TRL

Those are my top three.:)

Blackmoor
08-10-06, 19:24
TR 4 is my favourite story because of Von Croy and Set. But I also liked TR3's very much too - refinding articles that Darwin's crew had discovered in Antarctica... only in TR!

Also, the mystery of TR2 pitted against the modern mafia... surreal but engrossing.

And although TR1's story is basic it's told with elegance and wit. It's paced well and compliments the discovery and beauty of the gameplay.

AoD was an excellent idea not executed to it's full potential. I like the idea of ressurecting ancient Angel-beings... and scary moments, but it wasn't scripted in a way that maximised it's drama. Probably because of the options to get Lara to say different things...

Legend. Apart from the overt teenage elements... it's an enjoyable romp. The ending retrospectively enhances what has gone before. The main problem is that it ends just as it's getting going unfortunately.

sam_raider_05
08-10-06, 19:41
That is the background story you walk about. But I'm talking about the game itself. In this whole story, Lara comes in when 3 paintings have already been found and number 4 has been located. Also the sleeper has been found already and has been transported to the Strahov before Lara gets to know about it.

So don't get me wrong: they have a good background story. But Lara gets in the story way to late. Also it included to many other characters. The story of the game itself is more then the background story. And they failed writing a good story around Nephilim.

Amen! Ditto :)

erosan
08-10-06, 19:55
AoD comes first. excellent story. i think TR4 was good too. I wish they could continue aod =/

Lemmie
10-10-06, 15:37
To be honest, Legend is my favourite.

I know this may be unpopular, which is why Last Revelation is my second.