PDA

View Full Version : Beliefs

Geck-o-Lizard
08-10-06, 21:21
This is a bit of an offshoot from a discussion I'm having at another forum, which I figured I'd bring over here to spark some interesting conversation as well as learning more from a wider range of people.

Basically, I'm not interested in picking apart your beliefs or trying to tell you you're wrong, I'm purely interested in finding out why you believe in what you do. I know already that many of you have strong faith in the following things (and many others) but I truly don't know why, and that only occurred to me tonight when I consciously thought about it.

So, here's the question.
"Do you believe in ______? Why?"

God
Heaven
Hell
Angels
Supernatural forces
No God
Demons
Spirits
Afterlife
Reincarnation

Let's keep this peaceful and polite. This topic is for listening and sharing, not challenging. :wve:

jarhead
08-10-06, 21:25
I'm an atheist, so no god. I belive in this because I see the scientific side of things, not the faith side

Kamrusepas
08-10-06, 21:26
I have contradictive beliefs. I don't believe in a god, nor really a higher power, but I believe in supernatural things. I just don't believe they're caused by a deity or anything like that, simply forces of nature and the like. I also believe in re-incarnation.

Science, also. I believe in anything that can be scientifically proven.

Geck-o-Lizard
08-10-06, 21:27
Kam: You say you believe in reincarnation. Why do you believe in it?

You've both answered the first half of the question, but not the second half, which is what I'm really interested in. :D

Kamrusepas
08-10-06, 21:28
Kam: You say you believe in reincarnation. Why do you believe in it?

I don't know, to be honest. Maybe because of all the things I've heard of past lives, like my mom's stories and my friend's mom who keeps having this dream where she's a little boy during a war.

Also, it's a comforting thought :)

MiCkiZ88
08-10-06, 21:30

in these

God
Heaven
Hell
Angels
Supernatural forces
Demons
Spirits
Afterlife

Reincarnation?? what does that mean? :confused:

soo.. I beliave in most of that stuff.. you could've atleast put more gods or mythology there :p

VonCroy360
08-10-06, 21:31
I only believe in things proven by science, although the questions about ghosts, mind-reading and similar have crossed my miind more than once... :pi:

Kamrusepas
08-10-06, 21:33
You've both answered the first half of the question, but not the second half, which is what I'm really interested in. :D

I can't explain why I believe in something. Isn't that just what beliefs are about? What faith is about?

Geck-o-Lizard
08-10-06, 21:45
I think belief is generally based on a "gut feeling" when there's no solid (or even partially solid) evidence to support it. I have a feeling that there is no God, because I see nothing in my life or surroundings that I'd link to him/her/it when there are so many other things that could have caused whatever it was to happen. Where some people see divine intervention, I see co-incidence, because I very rarely sense anything amiss that would make the event require more than this world can provide.

MiCki: Reincarnation is where a person's soul is supposed to leave the body at death and is re-born into a new body, thus essentially dying and being re-born forever.
You say you believe in everything I listed. Can you tell me why you believe in Heaven? What makes you believe Satan is real? Or is it natural instinct that makes you believe these?

tombraider123
08-10-06, 21:46
I believe there is something after we die, I just don't know what...

Kamrusepas
08-10-06, 21:49
MiCki: Reincarnation is where a person's soul is supposed to leave the body at death and is re-born into a new body, thus essentially dying and being re-born forever.

Jälleensyntyminen, sometimes also called sielunvaellus, if that helps :wve:

Lone Raider
08-10-06, 21:56
This is a bit of an offshoot from a discussion I'm having at another forum, which I figured I'd bring over here to spark some interesting conversation as well as learning more from a wider range of people.

Basically, I'm not interested in picking apart your beliefs or trying to tell you you're wrong, I'm purely interested in finding out why you believe in what you do. I know already that many of you have strong faith in the following things (and many others) but I truly don't know why, and that only occurred to me tonight when I consciously thought about it.

So, here's the question.

God
Heaven
Hell
Angels
Supernatural forces
No God
Demons
Spirits
Afterlife
Reincarnation

Let's keep this peaceful and polite. This topic is for listening and sharing, not challenging. :wve:

here's what I think, and, consequently, believe:
God - Yes. God is life energy, the driving force of everything that moves and exists in this universe (and all possible others)
Heaven - yes. In my theory, spirits are made of the very energy of God, and if they have no major issues at the time they die, the particles of a soul are able to leave our planet's surface and merge with the atmosphere, which, in a very real sense, is heaven to me.
Hell - yes. I believe that souls who have major issues at the time their "owner" dies, are not able to dissolve and merge with the other souls, thus creating and being a part of heaven. I like to think they are somehow clotted, or electro-magnetically charged, so they stay earthbound and can't experience the final revelation. I imagine this state to be Hell.
Angels - I like the idea, but I don't really believe in angels (as in God-sent). Angels as in "I'm dead, so I'm an angel now", again yes, see above :)
Supernatural forces - Yes, I'm forced to believe in them since I use the tarot and over the course of a long time it has proved to be uncannily accurate, and sometimes frighteningly in the know about things.
Demons - I have no real opinion on those, maybe that you create your own demons. But I don't categorically believe in them.
Spirits Certainly. I've seen one. And I have one. :)
Afterlife As in Reincarnation, both require for your soul to stay intact as, for example, Mr or Mrs. Tidbit from Croydon. As I said before, I believe that souls dissolve after death, leave the ego behind, and truly reach Nirvana.

Apofiss
08-10-06, 21:57
This is how I see it..

Gods - a possible life-forms
Heaven - make-up/fiction
Hell - make-up/fiction
Angels - possible life-forms/fiction
Supernatural forces - science
No Gods - pessimism? XD
Demons - possible life-forms/fiction
Spirits - science
Afterlife - science
Reincarnation - science

So, in which shelf do I fit? :D

Legends
08-10-06, 21:58
I don't really believe in anything.. But I'd like to.

MiCkiZ88
08-10-06, 21:58
Jälleensyntyminen, sometimes also called sielunvaellus, if that helps :wve:
yup that helps.. :) I kind of beliave in that.. or atleast I've thought about that alot! and i've made loads of theories about that.. like that the world has a certain amount of souls that are here and kinda something like the balance between animal races is kind of not in balance.. thus why so many humans ans so many animal races dying moment after moment.. agh.. hope I made atleast some sence..

@ geckt.. heaven as in the place where angels and God('s) are and a place where the soul finally is headed if the soul is pure ( more good than bad ) i've kind of always beliaved in that.. I havent been thought to beliave in that at all.. and as for demons.. well that's a bit hard one for me to say in english :p but something like the souls are so evil that their only place is down at hell and they grieve on the still pure souls of the living and try to tempt them to do evil stuf..

agh.. i dont even get myself what Im saying xD

Rivendell
08-10-06, 22:02
God: Only as an "energy" which resides in all living things, much like the soul- not as a being or entity. Why? I just feel drawn to that belief!

Heaven: I'd like to, but I'm not one of those people who belive 'when you die that's it'.

Hell: You make your own Hell for yourself, and suffer in it while you live. Most definitely do not believe in the big fiery pit. Why? I just see it as fear mongering propaganda

Angels: Extra-Terrestrails. Just too much alien imagery and likeness in scripture not to be!

Supernatural forces: Yes, I would say I do belive in them, if 'magic' is what you're implying.

No God: See top.

Demons: Connected to Angels, but also connected to the same energy I see God as.

Spirits: Yes, part of that God energy again.

Afterlife: In some form, undecided as to what yet.

Reincarnation: Yeah - but I don't believe if you're morally good you'll come back as a 'higher being' or if you're bad you'll come back as a dung beetle, as I don't class them any higher or lower than anything else!

Interesting thread :tmb:

Geck-o-Lizard
08-10-06, 22:15
You're all explaining wonderfully what you believe in... but I'd like to hear why! :p What is the reasoning in your head that leads you to conclude that God exists? Is it that you feel his presence in the decisions you make every day? What makes you come to the decision that Heaven really does exist? Is it because you had a dream that confirmed what you thought, or is it simply a feeling deep down that you just know it?

[edit] Rivendell: Good post, just what I'm looking for! :)

Kamrusepas
08-10-06, 22:16
What is the reasoning in your head that leads you to conclude that God exists?

That is what I've always wondered.

MiCkiZ88
08-10-06, 22:17
but I'd like to hear why!
That's a question I dont have an answer to :(

it's really hard to explain why. It's kind of.. Natural and I beliave in ghosts cause I've seen couple..

Rivendell
08-10-06, 22:19
[edit] Rivendell: Good post, just what I'm looking for! :)

Phew! :D I was just about to try and elaborate, but really couldn't anyway!

Geck-o-Lizard
08-10-06, 22:27
Well, elaboration is always welcome. :D Could help you to realise more about yourself and your beliefs too if you put your mind to the task. :)

Micki: I know what you mean. I have no true argument against the existence of all the things I mentioned, other than the fact that since I see nothing there, I believe nothing is there. To imagine that there is something there makes me feel like I'm trying to think up an imaginary friend, and convince myself he's really there, or imagine there's another room in my house then go looking for the door. But for other people, the friend and rooms aren't imaginary.

Thorir
08-10-06, 22:34
I believe in things because I feel that they are right for me. I don´t think others feel the same way. So I guess you can call it instinct or a gut feeling. Or something only you can sense.

When I walk around in a forest, I feel this sort of presence or energy...

MiCkiZ88
08-10-06, 22:41
I believe in things because I feel that they are right for me. I don´t think others feel the same way. So I guess you can call it instinct or a gut feeling. Or something only you can sense.

When I walk around in a forest, I feel this sort of presence or energy...
this is kind of what I feel in forests too.. or that's just that Im scared about the dark forest.. but I do sence something else there.. and it's kind of freightening..

@gecko.. I gues that explains my beliefs?

Thorir
08-10-06, 22:43
this is kind of what I feel in forests too.. or that's just that Im scared about the dark forest.. but I do sence something else there.. and it's kind of freightening..

@gecko.. I gues that explains my beliefs?

Oh, I don´t feel anything scary or frightning. It is ONLY peaceful and relaxing. :) I feel a sense of being safe there.

MiCkiZ88
08-10-06, 22:50
Oh, I don´t feel anything scary or frightning. It is ONLY peaceful and relaxing. :) I feel a sense of being safe there.
have you been to lapland? I swear those woods are cursed :eek:

xMiSsCrOfTx
08-10-06, 23:01
Well, over time, I have came to a very untraditional way of thinking... It's all a very heavy subject (I'm not really sure why it has to be) and as I'm still young, I'm sure I won't be thinking like this all my life.

God - As much as I'd like to, I don't really believe in one superior being or force such as a God. I do believe in faith, though.

Heaven - I see 'Heaven' as any moment in time where you're in a state of bliss, kind of like when one mentions "I'm in heaven". I don't envision it as any high place in the clouds with pearly gates where you go when you die. Heaven can be any moment in your life when you feel infinite and amazing.

Hell - Again, like Heaven, I think of it as an ultimate low in one's life. Not underground, not ruled by Satan or any demons, not where you go when you die and you've been bad.

Angels - I believe angels can take form in any person with a kind heart who helps others. Even if it's a small act, that's kind of rare nowadays.

Supernatural forces - I do believe in these. Ghosts and the paranormal have always been something I have strongly believed in, like spirits and presences.

No God - (See first explanation)

Demons - Any form of evil, mostly inner (like the expression "inner demons"). Dark problems or secrets people carry, extreme acts of anger or rage, etc...

Spirits - Like supernatural forces, I do believe in spirits. I don't believe you go anywhere when you die, but I do believe some people do stick around when they die.

Afterlife - I don't really believe in living in Heaven or Hell after you die. I believe moreso in facts and science. When you die, you die.

Reincarnation - Again, I'm not positively sure which side of this I lie on, but I do believe it's a likely possibility. I had a really strange conversation with my mom on many occasions where she explained how when I was around 1 and a half years old, I was having a bath, and I told her (totally out of the blue) "I lived before". To this day, that story has stuck with me. I began researching incarnation on the internet, and found similar cases of young children saying things like this, so I do believe in reincarnation.

Geck-o-Lizard
08-10-06, 23:06
Interesting. I agree with you on almost all points there. :)

How did you come to believe in the supernatural? Was it through personal experience?

Legends
08-10-06, 23:08
Very Intressting!

xMiSsCrOfTx
08-10-06, 23:09
How did you come to believe in the supernatural? Was it through personal experience?

Didn't think I'd find a single soul on the forum who would agree with me :p but yeah, anyways, I've had many experiences throughout my life. Particularly in my childhood, before I moved. I lived in this old little house right in front of a cemetary. Those were some of the most bizarre years of my life.

Neteru
08-10-06, 23:10
Sorry Geck, I can't give you almost 36 years of experience in one sentence, or one paragraph to outline why I believe what I believe.

Thorir
08-10-06, 23:10
have you been to lapland? I swear those woods are cursed :eek:

Too cold. :D

But if you´re scared of a dark forest... Ask yourself WHAT you are scared of.
What can happen?

Rivendell
08-10-06, 23:18
Well, elaboration is always welcome. :D Could help you to realise more about yourself and your beliefs too if you put your mind to the task. :)

I'll give it another go tomorrow :)

ace_85
08-10-06, 23:25
I'm entirely agnostic - I don't especially see any evidence for God or any sort of higher power in the world around me, yet I'm also not closed to the potential for such things. There are a number of fundamental questions in the world around us that science is currently unable to fully account for, and it is sometimes tempting to accredit those issues to some sort of divine purpose. However, I also believe that that concept can sometimes be a disservice to the almost limitless capacity for the world around us to be full of it's own fantastical elements.

Let me try to explain with an example; cell reproduction is perhaps a good one. Most people know that DNA is required to code the instructions for creating new cells (essentially by duplicating itself). However, no element of DNA itself is able to carry out this action. Instead, the actual physical replication is carried out by proteins within the cell. Yet, without DNA, proteins are unable to function - they would have no 'orders' to carry out. Are we then to presume that these two molecules arrived on the scene simultaneously? Without the other, neither would exist, and yet how did two entirely seperate (and non-thinking) systems suddenly develop, each with the purpose of supporting the other? It's currently something of a scientific mystery, and yet is potentially explainable if we knew more about the processes involved.

So I guess I currently sit somewhere inbetween the two notions; I believe that many things are entirely explainable through conventional science, and yet at a certain level I feel that there are things happening around us that are harder to quantify. As I said, I don't currently credit that to the presence of a God, but neither is it an idea that I dismiss out of hand :)

Hurrah4Lara
09-10-06, 00:23
Most people know that DNA is required to code the instructions for creating new cells (essentially by duplicating itself). However, no element of DNA itself is able to carry out this action. Instead, the actual physical replication is carried out by proteins within the cell. Yet, without DNA, proteins are unable to function - they would have no 'orders' to carry out. Are we then to presume that these two molecules arrived on the scene simultaneously? Without the other, neither would exist, and yet how did two entirely seperate (and non-thinking) systems suddenly develop, each with the purpose of supporting the other? It's currently something of a scientific mystery, and yet is potentially explainable if we knew more about the processes involved.

That is really interesting, ace_85, I hadn't heard it before. A big question Geck-o, so I am thinking.

[Well our Boss has been away so I've spoken freely in the last weeks. He is back now, but now we have our own accounts on his computer!:jmp: ]

H4L:wve:

DREWY
09-10-06, 00:57
So, here's the question.

God
Heaven
Hell
Angels
Supernatural forces
No God
Demons
Spirits
Afterlife
Reincarnation

God - Yes. Too much detail in the world for it to be an accident
Heaven - Yes. All good has opposite bad
Hell - Yes. Refer above
Angels - Yes. Gods oompa lumpas
Supernatural forces - yes. Too much freaky stuff not to be true
No God - no (see God)
Demons - yes good and bad balance
Spirits - Yes. See supernatural
Afterlife - Yes
Reincarnation - No

Camera Obscura
09-10-06, 01:23
God - No, I don't think there are higher beings in the sky or land controling what we do.

Heaven - No, there is no special place for good people, there is no heaven in the sky, just clouds.

Hell - No, the only thing in the center of the world is magma. No place for punishment based on what you did when you were alive.

Angels - No, I only say this because I've never seen one before and probably never will. I think they're just hallucinations of the mind.

Supernatural forces - No, I will believe it when I see it. So for now they're just hallucinations of the mind. (Does this include aliens because that I do believe, since after all I find it hard to believe we're the only life from planet in the entire universe.)

No God - See first

Demons - No, I'll believe it when I see it. So for now they're just hallucinations of the mind.

Spirits - No, I'll believe it when I see it. So for now they're just hallucinations of the mind.

Afterlife - No, once we die we fade back into oblivion from which we came.

Reincarnation - No, we just live once and when we die our brain stops working just like the heart, liver, and lungs stop working. So I believe that when our brain permanently shuts down we have no way of dreaming or thinking or remembering anything. We pretty much cease to exist physically and mentally.

tampi
09-10-06, 01:37
(3:36 a.m. for me) I cannot sleep, first, because I have had supper a lot and second: because I have read this one thread
I like DREWY your simple answer about God.
Hopefully I knew to write in English perfectly to be able to explain to me, although on these topics still knowing Chinese, it is truely impossible
Tomorrow I will make an effort and I will explain my beliefs

SpongeBob Lover
09-10-06, 01:51
God- yes
Heaven- yes
Hell- yes
Angels- no
Supernatural forces- yes
Demons- yes
Spirits- yes
afterlife- yes
Reincarnation- no

it will take me a long time to put it in words for why :D

erosan
09-10-06, 04:13
god - no, i think god is only something people worship, something to believe in and something people look forward to. i saw too much pain in my lifetime to belive there is a god. We are our own god

Heaven - no, I belive something does happends after we die, but we make our own heaven

Hell - We make our own hell

Angels - no, we define angels as something completley good, the best, we campare angels to other people

supernatrual forces - yes, can't explain, its just the feeling

No God - see above

Demons - we see demons in people

Spirits - sure. ive seen them, i have one

AfterLife - yes! something has to happend after we die, cant explain, again its in the feeling

Reincaration - yes. Although there is not much proof, i strongly believe in it. some people told me that when you dont acomplish your purpose on earth, you are born again. or you just live again.

scoopy_loopy
09-10-06, 04:45
God - no
Heaven - no
Hell - no
Angels - no
Supernatural forces - yes
No God - possibly
Demons - possibly
Spirits - possibly
Afterlife - yes
Reincarnation - no

GodOfLight
09-10-06, 05:24
oh, i love you geck-o-lizard :jmp:

"Do you believe in God? Why?"

that depends on what one defines god as. i dont believe that a god seperate from humanity exists, pulling all the strings and deciding the fate of the universe, in the sense of most monotheistic religions. i believe i pull my own strings as much as i can and that i am my own god, however i am also aware that i am but a tiny spec in the massive mess that is nature of the universe. so, i do think nature or the entire univerese is divine and godly due to the way it works, however i don't think it consciously thinks like a human saying "hmm... i think i'll send a tornado to kansas today." the concept of god is a human invention and personification of the forces of nature... once upon a time zeus controlled lightning, and today we know the scientific process... the personifications are simply helpful for us humans to identify with nature. the reason why i personally stopped believing in god, is because i feel that it is a cop-out on the part of the human mind, and an escape into thinking that our actions are guided and watched over. humans have the need to be watched, we enjoy thinking that someone out there is watching us. some say it's god, some say it's aliens, and some become movie stars in order to have humanity watch them. yet the ultimate truth is that we are alone, and invent all these things in order to make ourselves not feel so alone. so, in this case we are our own gods because even god supposedly felt lonely one day, and decided to create the entire universe from himself :p so, he, and we, in this case are still alone, no matter how much we invent.

"Do you believe in Heaven? Why?"

no, i don't believe in heaven. the idea of a happy afterlife was invented a long time ago (waaay before christianity) in order to control people. the idea was to make people believe that if they follow such-and-such rules they will finally be happy after death. since no one ever is truly happy, this idea was popular for most. so, they followed the rules religion/government gave them, and this caused them to be kept in check. every religion has used this method. but, it is not only a part of mass-control, but also the human fear of death that has caused us to invent heaven. we are afraid of everything stopping once our brain and heart stops and begins to decay. we are so afraid of it that we invent a happy magical land where we all can go to an continue to exist. so, once again: humans being afraid and copping out of reality.

"Do you believe in
Hell? Why?"

Don't believe in this either, and my reasoning is the same as the above: just as heaven was invented to give people hope, hell was invented to fill them with fear. if you dont obey such-and-such rules we set for you, you will burn. a nice way of controling society ;) total bollucks if you ask me.

"Do you believe in
Angels? Why?"

no. once again, humans being afraid of being alone, and so inventing a litte hovering friend on their shoulder who watches over them night and day. the angel itself is derived from the ancient pagan gods, and the idea of wings aswell is predominant in ancient egyptian art. the idea of angels or gods watching over us is ancient, and as i said before: the gods are personifications of nature...and nature does watch over us, but it can also destroy us instantly, depending on its needs.

"Do you believe in
Supernatural forces? Why?"

Yes and No. i think that events termed as "magickal" "miracle" or "supernatural" are simply things we don't have an explanation for nowadays. once upon a time lighting a fire was seen as a supernatural act. today, everyone strikes a match or flicks a lighter. todays magic is tomorrows science. yet, there will always be magical things we wont understand. someday, what seems like a mystery to us today will be second nature for us in a few years... yet then there will still be more things that will apears as mysteries.

No God[/U]? Why?"

I pretty much summed it up in my comment on god sbove. to me, believing in god is the fear of being alone and wanting to think that there is a greater mommy or daddy watching out for you out there... when in reality we can only really stand on our own two feet.

Demons[/U]? Why?"

once again, demons were invented to inspire people with fear. where angels supposedly guide us, demons and devils will tempt and hurt us. people will even say that demons are making me write such sacriligeous things as i am writing here. once again, these things are like the scary stories kids are told of bogey men who sleep under their bed... it's to control you and make you afraid of what could happen if you disobay the rules.

Spritis[/U]? Why?"

I don't believe in souls. I think once again that the idea of a soul is the human ego clinging on to life and being to afraid to accept death. i do think though that my memory and identity lives on in the mind of my decendants, for however long they choose to remember me. When it comes to ghosts and spirits that haunt us, it is our own mind clinging on to the past and the dead person, and not wanting to let go of them deep down. so our own psyche causes these things to manifest and pester us until we ourselves have dealt with them.

[/U]Afterlife[/U]? Why?"

covered it already above for the most part. i don't think death would be death if we would just hop out of our body and land in an eternal afterlife. death is and always will be the great unknown for us humans, and i think that people inventing afterlifes and describing what they look like is arrogant on the part of us humans, since we cannot really know what death is like and if our consciousness exists beyond death, until we have tried it out :p

[/U]Reincarnation
[/U]? Why?"

i used to believe in reincarnation. it makes a lot of sense since nature also works in cycles: the trees are born in the spring, grow up strong in the summer, die in the autumn, and sleep in the winter, only to be reborn. energy cannot be destroyed, only transformed... so everything continues in an enternal cycle. however, i think they idea of my identity and soul, hoping out of my corpse, resting a bit, and then being born in another body is once again my human mind afraid of death, and coming up with the idea that eventually ill come back and be alive again :p so, once again: death is not death like this.

when it comes to death i take a very ancient egyptian standpoint on the whole matter:

the god osiris was killed by his brother seth, and his beloved isis had to resurect him. however, osiris is the grain god who is resurected in the grain the people bake into their bread and food, and then eat... so, our corpse (just like osiris's) decays into the earth, and nourishes the earth... it then vitalizes the seeds in the earth, which grow up into plants that become food for animals and humans. we are then consumed, and live on in them, nourishing their bodies... yet eventually we return to the earth yet again, and it all begins anew, and continues over and over. so this, in a sense is the closest i am to reincarnation ;) that story of osiris is also used by many ancient religious beliefs, and was also the same idea intigrated into the bible by having a god die for the people, and them "eating" of his body ;)

Angelx14
09-10-06, 05:30
So, here's the question.

God
Heaven
Hell
Angels
Supernatural forces
No God
Demons
Spirits
Afterlife
Reincarnation

I belive in all those things above. Why? Because I do.:)

DREWY
09-10-06, 05:34
Umm, how can you believe in God AND no God? http://bestsmileys.com/clueless/1.gif

Andromeda66
09-10-06, 05:34
God - I'll say this much: For a man who believes, God is as real as his self. To a man that does not believe, God is nothing.

Heaven and hell - I wouldn't want to be confined to heaven or hell after my physical form has died.

I believe in Supernatural forces. Why? Maybe because I'm stark mad.

I believe in spirits because they're just formless energy.

Afterlife - I haven't given this enough thought.

Reincarnation - Yes. I cannot possibly explain why in one post. :wve:

Mad Tony
09-10-06, 06:00
God - Yes
Heaven - Yes
Hell - Yes
Angels - Dunno :p
Supernatural forces - Maybe
No God - No
Demons - No
Spirits - No
Afterlife - No
Reincarnation - No

Too much to explain, you just need something to believe in I suppose.

GodOfLight
09-10-06, 07:36
Umm, how can you believe in God AND no God? http://bestsmileys.com/clueless/1.gif

she is either aware of the divine paradoxical nature of the universe...

or just didnt read the question properly :tea:

Baslakor
09-10-06, 08:52
I do not believe in God and are heaviliy against orginized religions, pure because it fetches the worst in people: war, manipulation, mass-murder and such.

Ada the Mental
09-10-06, 09:21
Sometimes I believe in God other times not.I can't explain why. I'm a bit confused on the matter and I don't really care,to be honest. Religion's not important to me.

I certainly don't believe in any organised religion,too. They're full of lies,contradictions and manipulation. Not to mention that throughout all history,religion is always trying to meddle with politics and that just annoys me. I want to live my life the way I want,based on my sense of morality and immorality and if there's trully a god over there let him judge me the way he thinks appropriate.

I believe in some form of afterlife-because I don't believe that your soul,who you are just disappears after your body dies. This just doesn't sit well with me.

I believe in supernatural forces- Maybe.Because they intrigue me. i like to think that there's a "truth out there" but I'm sceptical.

Reincarnation.-Maybe. I've experienced the so-called deja-vu phenomenon plenty of times.

Spirits-Perhaps. If there's an afterlife there will be spirits as well.

Angels/Demons-I suppose they go along with religion,god,heaven/hell...

Mona Sax
09-10-06, 11:08
Kind of a boring answer, but I don't believe in any of the things you mentioned. My beliefs are purely scientific, I don't believe in anything that hasn't been proven or that can't be substantiated by clear evidence. So far I haven't seen any gods, souls, ghosts, demons etc. and I haven't felt their presence or influence either. Furthermore, nobody has been able to measure those forces. Therefore, I think that we'll only ever get what we see, that everything we are - thoughts, personality, feelings, emotions - lies in our body and that our inevitable death is final. I don't think we'll go anywhere when we die, even though I understand the thought is comforting for many people. Personally I don't mind that one day I'll "stop existing" as a person (my body will obviously be recycled by nature, but my conciousness, which is just a specific alignment of neurons, will be gone) - inexistence is just a form of eternal peace.

MiCkiZ88
09-10-06, 11:12
she is either aware of the divine paradoxical nature of the universe...

or just didnt read the question properly :tea:
id gues the second one :p but isnt everything in life paradoxical? god, the universe, life.. it's a huge paradox and we even wrote an large essay about that at our school and everyone ended up with a simple answer. Life is an paradox.. :confused:

Janny
09-10-06, 11:23
I have a weird way of thinking.
Sometimes I say to myself that there can't be any God, partially because I don't like the idea of some entity beeing more powerful than the human.

I believe in demons, angles because of all the people that stated they have seen them. There are so many that tryed to prove their existance and some came kinda close in doing so. I don't know... sometimes you can just feel that there is something else with you in the room, invisible...

I don't believe in Heaven (it's hard for me to explain why without boring the entire forum), Earth can be Hell sometimes, so IMO there is no need for a supreme place called Hell.

peffect
09-10-06, 12:07

So, here's the question.

God
Heaven
Hell
Angels
Supernatural forces
No God
Demons
Spirits
Afterlife
Reincarnation

I believe in god,if there wasn't a god I don't think we're alive now because there must be something responsable of all this world creation.
I believe in heaven,it's for those who work hard and be nice and always thank god for what he gave 'em

I believe in hell too;it's for those that consider their life as some kind of a joke or something and it's for those who don't believe in god the god that created 'em
Ibelieve in angels too,they live in heaven,they are watching us all the time and they are who write all the bad/good things we are doing in our lives in what we call ''allawho almahfoud'' so that to decide if one is going to heaven or hell
i believe in supernatural forces but we are unable to discribe how they come or for who or even when,it's the god's business

I believe in demons but let's say devil.he was among the angels up in heaven but when god created the human kind 'adam et hawa' all the angels believed in 'em exept the devil 'ibliss' he refused to believe in them (he was jealous their will be another creatures that god will love) so god sent him out of his mercy and told him that in the otherlife 'yawm alhissab' he will be sent to hell.ibliss is the only being that god won't forgive and seeing he will be alone in hell he decided to make us sin so that to follow his path and go in hell with him

I believe in spirits,they are creatures living in anotherr world''underworld'' we can't see them but they can and they can get in contact with us there's even humans that have been haunted by spirits, we call these spirits ''jin'' but there's also some wizards or witches that can contact with angels and this is one of the supernatural forces,when a spirit haunt a human he can allow him to do supernatural things but he can also harm him...

I believe in the otherlife it's when all the humans' souls get thier bodies to a place to be judjed for what their owners did in earth and as i said ,there's those who go to paradise and those who go to hell,but god said all who goes to hell will be released from it exept those who don't believe in him and ibliss

I believe in reincarnation ,it's when we all get our bodies back in the afterlife so that to be judjed for our acts....

well I know my english sucks,and I wonder if all of you got what I want to say,any way for those who are interested,you can pm me
P.S.I'm musilm

xMiSsCrOfTx
09-10-06, 12:19
well I know my english sucks,and I wonder if all of you got what I want to say,any way for those who are interested,you can pm me
P.S.I'm musilm

Your english doesn't suck, peffect. I understood what you wrote perfectly well. Interesting views. :tmb:

peffect
09-10-06, 12:22
Your english doesn't suck, peffect. I understood what you wrote perfectly well. Interesting views. :tmb:
really happy to hear that,i know that miss croft speaks 25 languages but i didn't know that she also understands this bad english,really brilliant this lara:p :hug:

xMiSsCrOfTx
09-10-06, 12:28
really happy to hear that,i know that miss croft speaks 25 languages but i didn't know that she also understands this bad english,really brilliant this lara:p :hug:

:ton:

ILG49ers
09-10-06, 14:04
I believe in God! I’m a Christian, and I believe in God, because I choose too. That’s my honest answer. That’s what it all comes down to, Faith. I believe God created the universe, Jesus died for all of us, Heaven, Hell, Angles, Demons, and the whole nine yards.

Why, because it’s in the Bible, you may ask? Yeah, pretty much. I do have my own view on things, but however ignorant you may think it is, I believe the Bible is the inspired word of God. I used to not be so strong in my faith, but that’s because I only believed in God, because I was brought up that way. You truly have to discover for yourself what to believe in.

Is what I believe in the truth? With all my heart I believe it is, that’s why it’s called faith!

What if I’m wrong? The time I spend going to church, praying, trying to live a Christian life, if in the end I’m really just wasting my time, doing it all for nothing, at least I’m still enjoying my life. That’s more than a lot of people can say.

The joy I get from my Christian faith is real. So, no matter how much you disagree with me, that’s just what I feel. Like my signature says, I live by faith, not by sight.

Catlantean
09-10-06, 14:48
I think there must be some kind of God, even if only as a force of creation that isn't necessarily sentient and personal. But I don't believe in a God that cares to reward or judge us for our deeds, because all it takes is one look at the world to see there is no such God.

I don't believe in angels and demons. Heaven and Hell are already here on Earth.

I believe in supernatural phenomena. Not blindly, and not each and every one of them, but I believe that science is far from all-knowing and that there are many things still left to discover. I prefer science to religion, but don't consider it a dogma set in stone. Way too many things are approximated, partially understood or even completely misunderstood, and we should never say, "That's it, now we know everything.".

I'm not sure I believe in afterlife, but out of all the options reincarnation seems most likely. Since everything in nature goes in cycles, so why wouldn't souls (provided they exist) do the same?

Most of all I believe that we should by default be nice and respectful to the world around us, from lowly grass to other people, that love is free and hate (while an inevitable part of life) should be used very sparingly. We may believe whatever we like of the afterlife, but what we certainly DO have is here and now, and we should try to make it fun for ourselves and not hurtful to others.

GodOfLight
09-10-06, 18:29
id gues the second one :p but isnt everything in life paradoxical? god, the universe, life.. it's a huge paradox and we even wrote an large essay about that at our school and everyone ended up with a simple answer. Life is an paradox.. :confused:

yes, i think it's most defenetly a paradox. that's why i personally never fit with the monotheistic religious approach which seperates the paradoxes into two equal halves: "this is good, and this is evil... hopefully someday the god will stamp out the evil." this concept is completly stupid for me because i don't think anything is either good or evil... everything has its own mixture of god and evil at the same time, and so is paradoxical. the idea that we can seperate man from either his good or his evil side is an insult in the face of nature.

tampi
09-10-06, 19:49
The man finds to God behind of each door that the science is able to open up. (Albert Einstein )(sorry the translate)

I believe.
But I do not believe in all those things how they seem established
It is long and difficult to explain in Spanish and English and with any word. The true belief feels not very often and is something that leaves ..... underneath heart , of the center of the body, I do not know...
I think that each one marks their limits in their beliefs not to be complicated the life too much. Quite difficult it is already the life!

What sometimes it worries to me is the people who say that they doesn't believe in anything. Or that only believes in science, or what science shows. You pardon me.
I think that that answer is an "armor" for not to consider the question truely.
Often fans speaks of the mathematics. That they are difficult. We give like good simple operations. 1 + 1 = 2, or a little more complicated; 1 + infinite = infinite

What means infinite?
For the infinite gives the same that you add it 1 or two or infinite another time. So big the power its. He/She/It always is infinite.
And not only that. Operations with infinity exist that still do not have solution.
Then 1 + 1 = 2
But 0 x infinite = ?
And the mathematics govern our lives. Our traffic lights ours you will wake up, our banking accounts, the computers, everything. All.
Thus also I think that God does

God is the same. I don't know.

Another thing which I mean is, so that those that say that only science exists or that they do not believe in nothing, they stop their thought exactly when this began. When the called Big Bang.
What happened before?, where it is physically all the created one. Or perhaps always the universe existed.
God: I believe. I believe that “he” is able of everything naturally. Sometimes I think that God disappeared to comprise of its creation, the Universal point, we, Who it became us, that it locks up all the mysteries, badly, the good all possible and the impossible one.

God "He"
Heaven "situation" in which "you" is part of "him"
Hell "situation" in which "you" are purified to be part of "him"
Angels To be part of "him"
Supernatural forces I still don't understand so that we turned around the sun
No God Now, maybe
Demons A mad neighbor that has just screamed. Sometimes, in some occasion each one of us.
Spirits Ours (alive and died) energies
Afterlife the death
Reincarnation Pass You first :) ... or ... you leaves me calm! :mad: What we do in the world is what we cause that continues existing. Thus we were reincarnated in that they continue living

Buf… I leave many things to explain but I have taken two hours in writing this... Sorry :ton:

Anubis_AF
09-10-06, 19:49
God - Yes. Too much detail in the world for it to be an accident
Heaven - Yes. All good has opposite bad
Hell - Yes. Refer above
Angels - Yes. Gods oompa lumpas
Supernatural forces - yes. Too much freaky stuff not to be true
No God - no (see God)
Demons - yes good and bad balance
Spirits - Yes. See supernatural
Afterlife - Yes
Reincarnation - No

This is scary. Exactly what I was going to answer :pi:

Cochrane
09-10-06, 19:52
I rearranged the questions slightly, so that I don't have to repeat myself over and over again.

God
No. Reason: God or Gods have historically always fulfilled three roles: Explanation for things that someone cannot explain in any other way, a kind of pen pal to talk to if you feel lonely, and a way to control the masses. A real god would have to fulfill some kind of fourth role, something that cannot be explained easily by human psychology, and it doesn't do that.

No God
Yes. Do I need to give a reason for this?

Afterlife
No. Basically, I'll believe in it when I see it, but dead is dead.

Heaven & Hell
See above. I also don't like the split. Good and evil are two very subjective things. Morally, nobody is clearly on any side here, and when stuff like "Has to believe in religion X to be good" get thrown in the equation, then the result is purely random.

Reincarnation
No. There is no logical reason for any reincarnation. When does a piece of matter qualify for reincarnation, and what purpose does it serve? If someone's arm has to be taken off, does that arm reincarnate? What purpose does it serve? Reincarnation just doesn't make sense.

Angels, Demons & Spirits
No. In my opinion, those are just things thrown in to the stories about gods to make them less boring, and fill any holes that a religion focusing only on gods and humans leaves.

Supernatural forces
No. In my opinion, any supernatural forces are really just natural forces that whoever experienced them did not understand yet. All pieces of the universe work according to the natural laws, and while we haven't understood any of them yet, I don't see how there could be any hook anywhere for anything that isn't part of this whole framework, but still interacts with it.

Celephais
09-10-06, 20:56
God- I don't believe in any kind of sentient "being" who created the universe. The idea of a guy "up there" seems too much like a projection of ourselves. The logic seems to be; "We can create things. So who created the world, the stars, everything? Had to be someone like us, only bigger."

Heaven- No. Seems to work on a bribe system.

Hell- No

Angels- Nope

Supernatural forces- No. I tried to remain open minded about this and a while ago I did some web surfing on unexplained things. The general feeling I got is that when people see a weird photograph of, say, a ghostly figure, they go "Ooooh! cool pic! I love it!" . In other words I think the desire to believe in the supernatural is there for a lot of people. I suppose it gives a nice chill to some. I've never had the least experience of anything "supernatural" I think my scepticism was complete when I saw a ghost wesbite that had a message board where "ghosts" could make their presence known and chat with living members. *cough.*
I believe UFOS are the modern day equivalent of seeing pixies in the hedges.
On the other hand I don't discount the possibility of "cryptozoology" that its the existence of creatures like Bigfoot or lake creatures. I don't strictly believe, but I don't outright disbelieve.

Demons- I don't believe in demons, fairies, pixies, elves, trolls, leprechauns Santa Claus or any of that.

Spirits- What I would class as "supernatural"

Afterlife- I hope so.

Reincarnation- Not in the sense that I'll be "reborn", but when I die the atoms of my body will be passed on to the world and be reused again, somewhere, so I'll still be around, possibly in another livng creature. So will everyone else. Cheery thought.

DREWY
09-10-06, 22:38
This is scary. Exactly what I was going to answer :pi:

You believe in Gods oompa lumpas (angels) too! Cool :D

Anubis_AF
10-10-06, 19:10
Not exactly how I'd put it, but yes! :D

Bullethail
10-10-06, 19:16
I believe in God, Jesus, Heaven, Hell and angels, because I've seen WAY to much evidence.

ivannnnn
11-10-06, 04:04

God: Although we can't see Him,,but He very near with us!!Just only one God! ALLAH !!

Heaven: A peaceful place for religious human or always remembering GOD.Only worshipped One God who cant enter the Heaven

Hell: the otherwise of heaven
Angels: God's 'waiters'..they never make sins

Supernatural forces
No God
Demons
Spirits
Afterlife
Reincarnation

I believe whole of them..:)
i have religion,so i have to believe all

sorry for my bad english :o

GoranAgar
11-10-06, 05:46
Supernatural - Excellent TV show.

and "I do not worship false gods" - Teal'c ;)

Melonie Tomb Raider
11-10-06, 06:23
I believe in God, Jesus, Heaven, Hell and angels, because I've seen WAY to much evidence.

^^

Approved...

Geck-o-Lizard
11-10-06, 06:41
Can you give some examples of the evidence you've seen to support your belief of each, Mel? That's the stuff I'm really interested in hearing about in this thread! :wve:

Draco
11-10-06, 07:02
It would take too long to explain what I believe in addition to why.

GoranAgar
11-10-06, 07:38
Heaven: A peaceful place for religious human
I REALLY hope it is more like: A peaceful place for peaceful humans

Mona Sax
11-10-06, 09:18
I REALLY hope it is more like: A peaceful place for peaceful humans
I agree. I wouldn't care about spending eternity with only religious people any more than I'd care about spending it with only blond, short or Brazilian people (just random examples). I don't think religion has anything to do with how good or bad a person somebody is.

In other words, if religion is a prerequisite for going to heaven, it's a place I wouldn't even want to go if I believed in it.

GoranAgar
11-10-06, 10:46
In other words, if religion is a prerequisite for going to heaven, it's a place I wouldn't even want to go if I believed in it.
Exactly. That would be quite painful.

It is not so much God I have problems with, but his fan club is really bugging me. ;)

Meep
11-10-06, 12:05
I believe there is something after we die, I just don't know what...

oh oh i can answer that one !!!

Decomposition.....

we come from dirt we get back into the dirt we evaporate into air we rain down we are back int he dirt... we are reborn.... vicious cycle...

Meep
12-10-06, 09:30
hmmm

i killed the thread!!!!

what happens to a Thread after it dies ??? lmao

GodOfLight
12-10-06, 09:38
It is not so much God I have problems with, but his fan club is really bugging me. ;)

:vlol: agreed :tmb:

peffect
12-10-06, 10:00
No God
Yes. Do I need to give a reason for this?
yes you do!

Meep
12-10-06, 10:02
woo hooo i brought this thread back to life!!!

i AM god :D

i knew it all along and none of you beleived me !!!

Cochrane
12-10-06, 11:17
yes you do!

Really? Even though I gave a reason for why I not believe in god?

Satu
12-10-06, 11:24
I know this is going to sound like such a cliche but I only believe in the things I see with my own eye's, at least for now... however better keep my options opened just in case :D

Celephais
12-10-06, 11:25
http://www.zyworld.com/BD4830/HolyGrail050en.jpg

http://www.zyworld.com/BD4830/HolyGrail049en.jpg

Ah what sad times we live in when passing ruffians can rip off Monty Python at will.

only Croft
12-10-06, 11:33
God
Heaven
Hell
Angels
Supernatural forces
No God
Demons
Spirits
Afterlife
Reincarnation

I don't really belive in God;

Heaven,Hell, what I belive in is that there is another world where spirits of death people live and when they die over there they come over here again

Angels, well they cood be manifestations of people how died but still don't acept theyr death so they try to et back into this world;

Supernatural forces don't really exist in my point of view because nature controls every thing;

Demons may exist and most probably are spirts that never acepeted theyr death so they are neither on this world or on the other;

Spirits exist as I say is what lives on and exchanges sides from this and the other world;

Afterlife, well if there is this and the other wolrd the must be afterlife;

Reincarnetion, dosen't existe since every time you die you exchange form this and the other side

Geck-o-Lizard
12-10-06, 13:07
I'm not interested in hearing what you believe without your reasons for believing what you do. Otherwise I'd have asked simply "what do you believe?", and the thread would be very boring. ;) Just write down what you believe, then add "I believe this because..."

Greenkey2
12-10-06, 13:23
God - yes, but not in the bearded man sat on a cloud somewhere dispencing wisdom. I know the universe is way too complex and elegant not for there to be some divine power behind it.

Heaven and/or Hell - possibly. No one's ever come back to talk about it, but that doesn't mean they don't exist ;).

Angels - very likely, because I often feel watched or guarded (maybe I'm just nuts but what the heck :p).

Supernatural forces - see Angels. The world is too big and complex for us daft humans to ever fully understand. I like that we can't explain everything :D. It means there's still stuff to explore.

Demons - no need for 'real' demons; we seem to be quite good at making our own.

Spirits - impressions left behind at the moment of death? Yes :). Sometimes things happen that we can still feel long after the event. Why not death?

Afterlife - hmmm. I'd prefer to think of our 'life-energy' as being given up at the point of death to rejoin the greater pool of life energy that exists in the universe. I mean, what else keeps shoving the daffodills back out of the ground in the springtime? :whi:

Karri
12-10-06, 13:47
The way I see it:

God - no
Heaven - no
Hell - no
Angels - no
Supernatural forces - no
No God - Meaning there is no god? If so, yes
Demons - no
Spirits - no
Afterlife - no
Reincarnation - no

The world is a dull place. For abnormal fantasies, there are always the movies or books for that.

Thorir
12-10-06, 14:09
The way I see it:

God - no
Heaven - no
Hell - no
Angels - no
Supernatural forces - no
No God - Meaning there is no god? If so, yes
Demons - no
Spirits - no
Afterlife - no
Reincarnation - no

The world is a dull place. For abnormal fantasies, there are always the movies or books for that.

Gloomy! No wonder the Finns drink vodka all day long. :D

tampi
12-10-06, 15:14
http://www.zyworld.com/BD4830/HolyGrail050en.jpg

http://www.zyworld.com/BD4830/HolyGrail049en.jpg

Ah what sad times we live in when passing ruffians can rip off Monty Python at will.

:vlol: :D :D :D

Bullethail
12-10-06, 15:45
No one's ever come back to talk about it, but that doesn't mean they don't exist .

Actually, I've heard of it. I don't know about Hell, but people who saw Heaven came back so amazed, they were pretty depressed in this world.

Rickéh
12-10-06, 16:27
I dont believe in any of them. :)

shaahinkaaveh
12-10-06, 16:50
The question of why people believe in what they do, isn't usually answered correctly if you ask themselves. People are oriented by:

-Their psychological background. That is, the way they're brought up, their family, their life.

-The society. That is, the infrastructure of the social life, the relationships in any particular group of people.

People say: "I don't believe in God because I believe in science.". This is a totally wrong answer, since the real reason of our beliefs isn't conscious at all. The ancient people who believed in myths weren't stupid or backward, they merely had different lives. We, modern people, who find myths bunk and nonsense are as silly as our ancestors who believed them. Science is our new God, there is no difference berween us and past people.

We are products of our background and our social life. It's a quite usual inclination to make up justifications for beliefs and or judgments, but it is most often false.

Lux veritata
12-10-06, 17:29
I'v never believed in any of those things.Especially not god.After i saw "the exorcism of Emily Rose"which are based on a true story and then afterwards searched on internet about exorcism and stuff, i do believe in demons.I mean its amasing that the people who are possessed begin to talk in different languages they normally cant speak and are breaking crucifix and paintings of god,even when they actually(before they got possessed)loved god.They eat insects and can scream for hours without stopping and EVEN talk in tougnes,like there was three demons speaking at the same time.And to not forget,their voice changes and sometimes they sound like animals or worse.There have also been doctors checking the victim for any kind of sickness,but they couldn't find anything.Pretty scary...lol Actually,i dont know what to believe

Arron TR
12-10-06, 18:46
I personally don't know what to believe im just open minded but i do have a little belief in spirits