PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling. Fake Or Not?

Mad Tony
09-10-06, 19:39
Ok people, before we start I would like to add I got the persmission from Scottlee for this and that I want this to be as friendly as possible.

Ok, I think wrestling is fake, mainly.
What do you guys think?

All opinions are welcome. :)

jarhead
09-10-06, 19:40
I think its faked and choreographed down to a T, and is too hyped up IMO.

Legend of Lara
09-10-06, 19:41
Fake? Yes.
Painful? Even more so.
I think I made myself clear.

Titanium
09-10-06, 19:41
I used to think it was real but over the time its obvious its fake.

All the storylines are written, A cruiserweight flipping a 280 pound person is near impossible and the person being flipped helps out. They only hit each other a little bit, they are fully trained to be slam around and not get that hurt (Sometimes they do, but they are used to it). :)

da tomb raider!
09-10-06, 19:42
I reckon wrestling is completely fake. It just isn't possible for anyone, big and tough or not, to withstand things like getting kicked in the face, whacked with a chair, blah, blah, blah, and be alright. Oh sure, sometimes I guess a wrestler or two gets a little punch, but seriously, it doesn't even look real. I'm not forcing my opinion on anyone, it's simply what I think. :)

tombraider123
09-10-06, 19:42
It's sort of 50/50

Yes it's scripted, and planned etc. But you cannot control Gravity. If wrestling was 100% fake, wrestlers would not suffer such severe injuries.

That is my opinion :)

Laras Backpack
09-10-06, 19:43
It's choreographed as far as I know. But you need to be seriously athletic and well trained to do it well.

UNDERTAKER
The storylines and wrestling is staged and these guys are trained performers/athletes.

But the sport carries a very high risk of injury and they put their health on the line every time they step into the ring.

MiCkiZ88
It's fake and they are pretty good actors.. but accidents do happen and the blood is real. why they dont get hurt that much is because they are all built up and the mattress is bouncy.. and the ''steel'' things are aluminium wich bends nicely :)

hope that made sence :wve:

edit: dont know about the corner bucles though.. they look pretty strong..

tombraider123
09-10-06, 19:45
It's fake and they are pretty good actors.. but accidents do happen and the blood is real. why they dont get hurt that much is because they are all built up and the mattress is bouncy.. and the ''steel'' things are aluminium wich bends nicely :)

hope that made sence :wve:

edit: dont know about the corner bucles though.. they look pretty strong..

The corner buckles(turnbuckles) are padded :)

Titanium
09-10-06, 19:47
And of course the referee always gets 'knocked' out in a vital match :p

Mona Sax
09-10-06, 19:50
And of course the referee always gets 'knocked' out in a vital match :p
It always cracks me up when the wrestlers take one huge "hit" after the other without turning a hair and then the referee gets knocked out because somebody bumped into him. :D

tombraider123
09-10-06, 19:52
It always cracks me up when the wrestlers take one huge "hit" after the other without turning a hair and then the referee gets knocked out because somebody bumped into him. :D

I have to admit, as a wrestling fan myself - I hate it when this happens, it's used just too much. And the fact that the ref's cant sell a move to save there lives.

Paul H
09-10-06, 19:52
I would say it is fixed rather than fake, although I suppose there is a very fine dividing line between the two. With all the acting and choreography that is involved, it probably takes more skill than it would if it were not fixed.

I suppose it's good entertainment if you like that sort of thing, although it doesn't appeal to me. I prefer snooker. :)

Legends
09-10-06, 19:55
I don't care.. :p But Nice post Mad Tony :wve:

Alive_and_Funky
09-10-06, 19:56
Referees are probably the best sellers (making a move look painful) in the business. :D
I have to admit, as a wrestling fan myself - I hate it when this happens, it's used just too much. And the fact that the ref's cant sell a move to save there lives.
I agree. It's too predictable. :)

I wouldn't describe wrestling as "fake." I call it predetermined, since that is the only 100% true one-worded way of putting it.
Wrestlers may only putting on a show, but that doesn't mean they don't get hurt, especially during matches with weapons or a cage-like structure involved. Just take a look at Mick Foley. He's missing part of one of his ears due to an accident which took place involving thumbtacks. Mick has gone through a lot of stuff during his wrestling career, and truly deserves the title "King of Hardcore."

tombraider123
09-10-06, 19:59
I just watched the match where Ashley Massaro broke her leg :(

Just thought it was relevant to help back up it's not all fake :)

Alive_and_Funky
09-10-06, 20:00
I just watched the match where Ashley Massaro broke her leg :(

Just thought it was relevant to help back up it's not all fake :)
How did Ashley break her leg? Wasn't it in a battle royal?

Mad Tony
09-10-06, 20:01
*coughs* WWE thread

tombraider123
09-10-06, 20:02

Yes. Candice eliminated her and Ashley went flying over the top rope and landed weirdly.

Sorry for going off-topic.

kangaxx
09-10-06, 20:14
Here in portugal we used to have a chapion of wrestling from the 60's(1960) Called Tarzan Taborda. he died 2 years ago, but all is life he was in a kind of crusade telling to the media that the wrestling was not a fake show.
He used to coment the american fights in the TV here in portugal after his retirement.and i think he used to have also a wrestling school here.

my idea about it:
maybe in the time Tarzan was a figther that can be true, but somewhere after that time, it became a kind of theatre, where the figthers play a role. a true ilusion show like the magicians.;)

Alive_and_Funky
09-10-06, 20:18
Here in portugal we used to have a chapion of wrestling from the 60's(1960) Called Tarzan Taborda. he died 2 years ago, but all is life he was in a kind of crusade telling to the media that the wrestling was not a fake show.

my idea about it:
maybe in the time Tarzan was a figther that can be true, but somewhere after that time, it became a kind of theatre, where the figthers play a role. a true ilusion show like the magicians.;)
That was in the time where they said wrestling was real. Wrestlers couldn't even tell their family members that it wasn't real competition. Of course, the press and such tried their best to expose this.
It was finally exposed that wrestling was predetermined when someone who was involved in the wrestling business (I can't remember the person's name) wrote a book all about it. :)

xMiSsCrOfTx
09-10-06, 20:18
I think it's very fake, but it's for entertainment. It's no different from movies or TV or any of that stuff, so if people get enjoyment out of watching staged smackdowns, then more power to them. :ton:

interstellardave
09-10-06, 20:26
It's predetermined, no-one will argue that. As for FAKE that's a really flippant term to throw around IMO. These are highly trained athletes and they take a lot of REAL punishment. Certainly not as much as it might appear--they try very hard to not hurt themselves or each other too badly. Nontheless they take many many bumps and bruises in every match. People don't realize that it has to be this way because they wrestle in many towns during the week--not just the televised shows and events. It's a long and hard schedule these men and women keep.

If it was "no holds barred" and "no holding back" the WWE would not survive because the injuries would pile up to the point where they couldn't put on shows anymore. Those who have come into the business from outside, like Chrisy Hemme can tell you just how hard it is, how much work goes into it, and how painful it really is. Just because they aren't out to break each others' limbs during matches doesn't mean it's "fake".

xMiSsCrOfTx
09-10-06, 20:32
Real punishment? Many of those 'highly trained athletes' are merely good actors who have been instructed on how to fall, how to take down their opponents without getting seriously injured, etc... Sounds kind of fake to me. Not trying to change anyone's views on it, because I'm sure my opinion doesn't really matter, but it's not 100% real fighting like people make it out to be.

interstellardave
09-10-06, 20:35
Real punishment? Many of those 'highly trained athletes' are merely good actors who have been instructed on how to fall, how to take down their opponents without getting seriously injured, etc... Sounds kind of fake to me. Not trying to change anyone's views on it, because I'm sure my opinion doesn't really matter, but it's not 100% real fighting like people make it out to be.

The fact that many wrestlers become addicted to pain killers is proof enough that there is plenty of real punishment and pain. No-one has stated it is 100 real fighting though... like I said the business couldn't survive if that were the case because there would be no continuity, no recognizable stars for fans to be able to rely on seeing at the shows. It would be as dead a sport as Boxing, for instance.

tombraider123
09-10-06, 20:35

Every bump they take has huge risks. You should see some of the Diva's without there make-up, there faces are so bruised up. And Trish's whole face is a different shape from back in 2001 when she debued.

A lot of the time when they fall and it looks like they are good actors, a lot of the time they are actually reacting to pain.

And only about 50% of the WWE superstars can act anyway, some of them have no skill in acting at all. E.G Melina

Celephais
09-10-06, 20:57
Real. Definitely.*cough*

TR freak
09-10-06, 21:12
Wrestling is more like a soap now. Sure some injuries can be real if accidents happen so in that sense its real, but the majority is fake. Its all predetermined and is so fake. Whenever I switch on wrestling I just have a good laugh at how fake it is. "Oh my god he's got him pinned but the refs knocked out, what are the chances".

StarCroft:AOD
09-10-06, 21:28
I think is not real, maybe I'm wrong, maybe because I pay more attention to the mans in there.

Ampersand
09-10-06, 21:32
So fake it's funny.

lita212
09-10-06, 23:33
well im only going to give my opinion considering i am in the middle of training to be a wrestler. basically the answeris yes. however this is only aimed at the whole match setup etc. the bumps that are taken are real minus the punches and kicks. when you hit that mat it certainly hurts. the firts time when i got into the ring and we was taking and giving clotheslines wow man that was hard to take. first you get punched in the chest which is an indication to you to tell you that you have to fall. the first time i took a bump i cut all my elbows and thas just hitting the mat once. you do get bruised etc but its only when you take bumps which is one of the first things you learn to do. everything from lockups etc are all fake you just have to use expression and certain angles with your body to pull off summit like that in order to make it look real. a match is also planned before you go out and show off to the crowd lol. you get told who is going to win and lose and then you plan most of the match together and then go out there. however alot of wrestlers add more moves to change it around abit. this is why you see alot of wrestlers with long hair because it covers there face up so they can speak to each other. it also helps because you can flick you hair back to make it look like your putting more power into a handlock or something like that.
hope that helped answer ya question lol

also on a side note. the divas match's are usually never first and the reason is because the first match is a slow match where it builds up to draw the crowd in and get them pumped up for the night. usually a divas match is 3rd or 4th because its usually seen as a resting match although wwe do use alot of diva match's that involve lita in the main event or at the beggining of the show because they know she can put on a good match.

Hybrid Soldier
09-10-06, 23:55
50/50

It's scripted.

How ever the moves and high flying stuff they pull off is most of the time dangerous because if you do one thing incorrect it could end up seriously hurting someone.

Captain Mazda
10-10-06, 00:08
It's as fake as heck and I'd be better entertained treating myself to a broken-down theatre presentation from rejected drama students.

Rednecks love it and they'll probably shoot up a bowling alley if you tell them it's fake.

2kool4u
10-10-06, 00:30
srry but its all acted. the real stuff is boxing. is thr ultimate fighter real?

Hybrid Soldier
10-10-06, 00:34
It's as fake as heck and I'd be better entertained treating myself to a broken-down theatre presentation from rejected drama students.

Rednecks love it and they'll probably shoot up a bowling alley if you tell them it's fake.

Whoaaaa, talk about stereotyping.

srry but its all acted. the real stuff is boxing. is thr ultimate fighter real?

Umm boxing is just awful. Ultimate Fighter is no better.

If you want to watch people beat the living crap out of each other you certainly don't need T.V to see that. =/

2kool4u
10-10-06, 00:36
If you want to watch people beat the living crap out of each other you certainly don't need T.V to see that. =/

lol at my school last week there was a huge cat fight at lunch.

BoyTRaider
10-10-06, 00:36
Although they're very good actors for most part, I can't help but laughing when they smack the air, and the other opponent fakes the hit. :vlol:

Kamrusepas
10-10-06, 07:27
Predetermined, yes. But it's not like every match is scripted out, "first you try to punch him on the left and he dodges and counters and you etc etc". The wrestlers improvise during matches.

And yes, they do use a lot of tricks so it wouldn't be so painful, of course. But like I mentioned in the WWE thread, some stuff can't be faked, like throwing someone down. It's gotta hurt. So you gotta be ready to take some damage.

viper456
10-10-06, 11:10
i wouldnt say it was fake to a point where people dont get hurt. but the storys and plots for matches etc are.

its entertaining non the less :)

angelika
10-10-06, 11:12
I think it can't get any more fake than this!

just croft
10-10-06, 11:13
Are we talking about wwe or the professional one?

cuz wwe is fake!

Satu
10-10-06, 11:27
lol I reckon it's a bit of both.

I just can't help remembering seeing footage of a reporter asking a wrestler whether it's fake, he ended up getting a nice old slapping, it was so funny. I don't know who the wrestler was but he was about 3 foot taller and wider than the reporter. Shocking for him but funny :D

Autolycus
10-10-06, 11:32
You can tell it's fake but that's what makes it so entertaining :D

just croft
10-10-06, 11:46
You can tell it's fake but that's what makes it so entertaining :D

I couldnt disagree more, it makes it completly borring, in wwe they are always fakeing that their're hurt (ok sometimes they relly are) but in the R E A L wrestling they are always fighting untill they really cant take it anymore thats what makes it good. wwe is only fake so that maches are longer (but still completely boring) so they get higher TV ratings.

Kamrusepas
10-10-06, 12:03
its entertaining non the less :)

True :tmb:

da tomb raider!
10-10-06, 13:01
Well, once again, it all comes down to opinions. Unless one of us gets some proper, solid proof right there in front of us, none of us will really truely get to the bottom of it. As for me, I think wrestling is fake, but I can't proof that. And others might say it's real. But they can't quite proof it. We can have an hour long discussing about it, but it's not going to get us anywhere. Maybe it is all real, or maybe it is all fake, or maybe it's somewhere in between, but who knows? (Apart from the wrestlers and everyone there themselves...)

Neteru
10-10-06, 13:51
It's theatre, pure and simple. And I hate it. http://neteru.tombraiderforums.com/images/yawn.gif

BtoFu
10-10-06, 13:54
You can't fake some things..like William Regal's 'little william' being seen live on the PPV on Sunday night. :vlol:

RAID
10-10-06, 13:56
I never did like Wrestling, and always thought it's fake. It it were real, a wrestler would die in every match.

tombraider123
10-10-06, 15:20
I never did like Wrestling, and always thought it's fake. It it were real, a wrestler would die in every match.

Not quite every match, but there have been 1 or 2 who have died, I can't remember the names, they were around before I started watching

Kamrusepas
10-10-06, 15:39
Owen Hart was one of those who died. But as far as I know, it wasn't during an actual match, but he did land in the ring [he fell from a platform in the arena or something].

Alive_and_Funky
10-10-06, 17:58
Although they're very good actors for most part, I can't help but laughing when they smack the air, and the other opponent fakes the hit. :vlol:
They do hit each other. They sell the punch though to make it look like it hurts (or hurts more than it does).
Well, once again, it all comes down to opinions. Unless one of us gets some proper, solid proof right there in front of us, none of us will really truely get to the bottom of it. As for me, I think wrestling is fake, but I can't proof that. And others might say it's real. But they can't quite proof it. We can have an hour long discussing about it, but it's not going to get us anywhere. Maybe it is all real, or maybe it is all fake, or maybe it's somewhere in between, but who knows? (Apart from the wrestlers and everyone there themselves...)
Is reading wrestlers' autobiographies and reading what they say on the matter solid proof? In Edge's autobiography he says about how people call it fake, and he says that it is predetermined and not really fake.
Just read lita212's post. He explains it the best since he's currently training. :)

Kamrusepas
10-10-06, 18:15
Just read lita212's post. He explains it the best since he's currently training. :)

He is? :eek:

Alive_and_Funky
10-10-06, 18:18
He is? :eek:
Yep, and I plan to start training in a couple of years. :jmp:

What I don't understand about people saying "Wrestling is so fake," it's more real than most TV shows or movies which you see, so why do some people not like it just because it's "fake." :confused:

tampi
10-10-06, 18:40
I think that is fake. Sometimes I have seen it and he makes me laugh. But that does not clear that must go away to their house “calentitos” (hot or warm in diminutive) :D

pinklaralover
10-10-06, 18:55
please be fake :(

lita212
10-10-06, 18:56
I think that is fake. Sometimes I have seen it and he makes me laugh. But that does not clear that must go away to their house “calentitos” (hot or warm in diminutive) :D

i dont get wot u wa saying lol. yeh i am training ive finished for the moment due to an operation im having (nowt to do wit wrestling) and shud be gettin back to it next year. i have to say to anyone who is starting that i wish ya good luck. its an amazing experaince that ive had so far but is so much hard work having to get every detail right lol but you will be able to do it for sure. it also shows ya if you truly have wrestling in your heart if ya do want to go back even after beating yourself up lol. the first time i started doing it i wanted to go home but i stuck at it and man it would have been a big mistake if i didnt cause i would be where i am so far now and would have wasted a dream

tombraider123
10-10-06, 19:09
I also plan to train when I am older aswell :) I have always wanted to learn how to wrestle properly :)

tampi
10-10-06, 19:14
i dont get wot u wa saying lol. yeh i am training ive finished for the moment due to an operation im having (nowt to do wit wrestling) and shud be gettin back to it next year. i have to say to anyone who is starting that i wish ya good luck. its an amazing experaince that ive had so far but is so much hard work having to get every detail right lol but you will be able to do it for sure. it also shows ya if you truly have wrestling in your heart if ya do want to go back even after beating yourself up lol. the first time i started doing it i wanted to go home but i stuck at it and man it would have been a big mistake if i didnt cause i would be where i am so far now and would have wasted a dream

I do not know what you will do. Perhaps you bite and you take the hairs to you, but some fights that I have seen, not all, are of laughter, are taken of the foot, for example, without no danger and seems that a roller is crossing him the head. Perhaps it is that I see the version “clowns”, I do not know it
But I repeat to you, that I am sure that all of them go away to house with pains by the body, I do not know if to beat themselves against the ground or to beat themselves among them

da tomb raider!
10-10-06, 19:19
Well, wrestlers aren't going to say it's fake, are they? Since I suppose most people who watch that believe that it's real, it a wrestler says it's fake, there goes his career. I'm not saying they never get hit, nor that the whole match is planned and put on, but all I say is that it's fake.

Alive_and_Funky
10-10-06, 19:21
Well, wrestlers aren't going to say it's fake, are they? Since I suppose most people who watch that believe that it's real, it a wrestler says it's fake, there goes his career. I'm not saying they never get hit, nor that the whole match is planned and put on, but all I say is that it's fake.
They do admit that wrestling isn't real though. They couldn't have said that decades ago since everything was kept wrapped-up tight.

tombraider123
10-10-06, 19:22
I am still sticking with my opinion of 50/50. The only fakeness is the storylines and match outcomes.

Kamrusepas
10-10-06, 19:22
Since I suppose most people who watch that believe that it's real,
I don't think I know a single wrestling-fan who thinks it's real.

I am still sticking with my opinion of 50/50. The only fakeness is the storylines and match outcomes.
Agreed :tmb:

da tomb raider!
10-10-06, 19:23
They do admit that wrestling isn't real though. They couldn't have said that decades ago since everything was kept wrapped-up tight.
So wrestlers say it's fake? :confused:

da tomb raider!
10-10-06, 19:24
I don't think I know a single wrestling-fan who thinks it's real.

Agreed :tmb:
Does that include you? I thought you said it was real yesterday? :confused:

Alive_and_Funky
10-10-06, 19:25
They don't say it's fake, they say it's predetermined, since predetermined is 100% what it is, whereas fake isn't 100% true.
Same here. :)

tombraider123
10-10-06, 19:25

Well, they say the outcomes and storylines are fake. But how can you have a fake wrestling move? It's not like slamming someone's head into the mat headfirst is fake - sure they are trained how to take a move like that, but if it was 100% fake - there would be no wrestling.

da tomb raider!
10-10-06, 19:28
Ok, so the storylines, etc are fake, but the matches aren't completely fake?

tombraider123
10-10-06, 19:29

The matches could not be completely fake, they would be lost with what to do and people will loose interest because it would just seem so stupied watching someone 'fake' getting there head slammed into the mat.

Alive_and_Funky
10-10-06, 19:30
That's right. The match outcomes are fixed, but they can't fake a lot of the moves they do, and quite frankly, they don't want to. They could easily fake a punch, but they want everything to seem realistic so it looks like a real contest.

tombraider123
10-10-06, 19:31
And if it was 100% fake, then they could very easily prevent injuries. The amount of injuries that happens is a lot.

da tomb raider!
10-10-06, 19:31
That sounds fair enough, thanks for a decent explaination. :)

Kamrusepas
10-10-06, 19:33
Does that include you? I thought you said it was real yesterday? :confused:

I did? :confused:

Okay, define 'real'. I did say it was predetermined, and that they use certain tricks to make it less painful. But it's not like every move is planned beforehand.

Captain Mazda
10-10-06, 19:47
Owen Hart was one of those who died. But as far as I know, it wasn't during an actual match, but he did land in the ring [he fell from a platform in the arena or something].

Fell 85ft in 1999. Was planning a special entrance where he came off a platform on the ceiling. He almost died instantly because he fell on the top ropes with his neck and buckled onto the ring. His brother Bret Hart witnessed all this...

tombraider123
10-10-06, 19:49
Im sure Owen Hart's death was at a live event. Becuase I read the live event was never to be released on DVD or Video or televised ever again.

Alive_and_Funky
10-10-06, 19:56
Im sure Owen Hart's death was at a live event. Becuase I read the live event was never to be released on DVD or Video or televised ever again.
Yeah, it was on PPV, but I can't remember which one.

tombraider123
10-10-06, 19:59
Yeah, it was on PPV, but I can't remember which one.

It was one that apparently they would never do again.

Alive_and_Funky
10-10-06, 20:02
It was one that apparently they would never do again.
I checked it on Wikipedia and it says that the incident took place at Over the Edge.