PDA

View Full Version : Did You Hear Guys!!vista Rtm Will Be Leaked!!

abraham
18-10-06, 11:48
the hotfix has just posted that they going to release the RTM version of vista on the internet. RTM is release to manufatures so its the actual version of windows vista. NO MORE BETAS. to bad i have to miss out since i ran out of space:(

raiderfun
18-10-06, 12:38
No more betas !!! :mad:

jamieoliver22
18-10-06, 13:32
And where did you hear this info? And who will it be leaked from?

Leaked versions are illegal, but most people use them anyway.

JANKERSON
18-10-06, 15:07
Good luck trying to activate it.. ;)

Joseph
18-10-06, 16:03
Indeed. And the activation is checked and re-checked. I activated my Vista RC2 during installation. A few days later, i get thumb-up message that my Vista is activated. :tmb:
Keep it legal, for your own sake.

Zebius
18-10-06, 16:07
Indeed. And the activation is checked and re-checked. I activated my Vista RC2 during installation. A few days later, i get thumb-up message that my Vista is activated. :tmb:
Keep it legal, for your own sake.

Oh, I didn't know that it is possible to activate RC2. :o
It is free I suppose, but how long will it run until RC2 will expire?

jamieoliver22
18-10-06, 16:12
I thought my RC2 got activated during install, but I found out that it didnt. It said in the system information box that it wasnt, so I clicked the button to activate it and it is now.

Jamie.

Joseph
18-10-06, 16:15
It will not expire untill June 2007, Zebius. And yes it's free. :)

abraham
19-10-06, 08:18
www.thehotfix.net (http://www.thehotfix.net):)

well im not really interested since xp has alot more features with drivers ect so i just wait, why dont mirosofy sell project keys over the net and you can download windows off the net!!! seems cheaper!!!!

Zebius
19-10-06, 08:36
It will not expire untill June 2007, Zebius. And yes it's free. :)

Oh, that's cool, we've got plenty time for testing and collecting money for Vista :)

Spiritwolfe
20-10-06, 00:19
Oh, that's cool, we've got plenty time for testing and collecting money for Vista :)

I agree...open-heartedly!!! I heard and probably you all heard, too, that Vista is going to be the end-all, be-all "super-impressive" does-not-need-any-more-patches operating system before Bill Gates retires! :o

Yeah, R..I..I..G..H..T!!!:pi: :mis:

Like, Zebius, said, above...'I'll stick with XP' :D

abraham
20-10-06, 06:06
i like vista so much but XP i have to stay with untill their more options and tweaking, I JUST LOVE TWEAKING and i cant overclock my grafix card or change settings or play around with tweaking that i do with xP:( i just have to wait!!!

well new nvidia drivers came out, very ****ed off since im on xp!

also the security is so tight it takes longer to delete things or change files,GOD DAMIIT H AD IT SOOO DAM MUCH, xp is so quick but less security

Mona Sax
20-10-06, 10:23
Does anybody know whether Vista can be activated offline (by phone or something)? The PC I'd be installing it on doesn't have an internet connection.

JANKERSON
20-10-06, 14:01
Does anybody know whether Vista can be activated offline (by phone or something)? The PC I'd be installing it on doesn't have an internet connection.

That's a good question.

Not sure on that one, I really don't think it will be because it needs to be on the net to stay activated.

MS is really taking extra steps with Vista against Piracy correcting the mistakes they made with XP, other words they are not playing this time.

Mona Sax
20-10-06, 15:12
That's a good question.

Not sure on that one, I really don't think it will be because it needs to be on the net to stay activated.

MS is really taking extra steps with Vista against Piracy correcting the mistakes they made with XP, other words they are not playing this time.
It's a pointless effort, pirates will just crack it. That way Microsoft will lose a lot of potential customers.

Joseph
20-10-06, 15:24
Pirates are no potential customers. Customers simply pay for the product. Pirates are the ones who want to use the Windows Operating System yet want it for free, spitting on Microsoft for some reason.

Mona Sax
20-10-06, 15:30
Pirates are no potential customers.
I didn't mean pirates. I meant the people who couldn't use Vista because they don't have an internet connection.

Personally I'll probably buy Vista when the price goes down. If it's impossible to activate the product offline, I'll just have to find a way around the activation process. I don't see anything wrong with circumventing a barrier that prevents me from using a product I paid for.

Cochrane
20-10-06, 15:36
I wonder whether the new anti-piracy measures will really serve any purpose other than annoying honest customers. Many of my friends, who are hardly high-grade hackers, managed to get hold of hacked versions of XP (me not, I'm still on 2000) easily. Targeting the customers who don't want to pay is a futile attempt, they should rather spend the money on real security (i.e. the kind that helps customers, not Microsoft) or new features instead.

Lord Icon
20-10-06, 19:44
It's a pointless effort, pirates will just crack it.

That's true.

That way Microsoft will lose a lot of potential customers.

They will not. There are other products out there with outrageous protection methods on them but that didn't prevent people from buying them. Example, HL2. Many people couldn't play it even in single player mode without Internet connection. Countless people were complaining about it and even the ones with high speed Internet. But that didn't stop it from being one of the most sold games.

I don't see anything wrong with circumventing a barrier that prevents me from using a product I paid for.

Yes, as long as you paid for it I agree with you 100%. I did that with HL2.

Unfortunately activation online is getting more and more popular with software industry. There is already a number of software companies out there that uses this method to protect their products. There is also a new game that just came out (the title of which escapes me at this moment) that needs to be activated online before you play it (in any mode). It's not like Steam/Valve but it has activation online only.

raiderfun
20-10-06, 19:45
I didn't mean pirates. I meant the people who couldn't use Vista because they don't have an internet connection.

Personally I'll probably buy Vista when the price goes down. If it's impossible to activate the product offline, I'll just have to find a way around the activation process. I don't see anything wrong with circumventing a barrier that prevents me from using a product I paid for.
Yup . And morocco is the first country !!! :rolleyes:

Joseph
20-10-06, 22:29
The price will not go down. It never happened with the price of XP. And why should it, the price is normal, for an Operating system that you depend on daily. If you live in a country with good internet infrastructure, why would you have a PC without Internet access? or when you have more than 1 PC why would you install Vista on the one without Internet access? :confused: Just have XP on that one.

Cochrane
21-10-06, 06:20
Normal for an operating system? If we don't count Linux, which you can get for free, the only other mainstream operating system is Mac OS X. The price for this is $129 (there is also a family edition for $199, which includes five licenses). Notice that this isn't the cheap edition, this is the only (desktop) edition there is, which includes all features you can get for this OS. Of course, this is very biased, since Mac OS X basically only runs on computers that had a previous version of Mac OS (X or not X) installed when bought, so it's always an upgrade license (there is no special upgrade license). Still, comparing to Vista Full Edition, the price is lower while the operating system is not worse.

If I live in a country with good Internet infrastructure, there are still various reasons for not wanting or having internet access. Security reasons (not being connected to the Internet is still the best firewall possible), or maybe just that the computer is standing in a place where LAN cables cannot reach it easily and WLAN is not desired, has no good reception either or is simply not bought yet.

or when you have more than 1 PC why would you install Vista in the one without Internet access?
I would because I want the latest and greatest that I can get for normal PCs on all my computers. Why wouldn't you?

abraham
21-10-06, 07:24
i think you can call mircosoft to activate Vista becuase when i had troubles trying to activate XP on my pc i had to call microsoft to fix the problem and it mentioned about VISTA products in the calling produre( press 1 to acitvate windows xp,press 2 ect).

Mona Sax
21-10-06, 08:16
The price will not go down. It never happened with the price of XP. And why should it, the price is normal, for an Operasting system that you depend on daily.
I don't want it, I'll have to buy it because Microsoft forces me to by not supporting DX10 on XP. I'm perfectly happy with XP, I'd never buy Vista if I had a choice. Therefore, $200 is way too much for me.
If you live in a country with good internet infrastructure, why would you have a PC without Internet access? or when you have more than 1 PC why would you install Vista in the one without Internet access? :confused: Just have XP on that one.
The one with internet access is not my own and way too slow for Vista and any new games. Therefore, I have my own personal gaming PC. I don't have an internet connection on it because:
- I don't need a second
- I can't afford a router and
- for security reasons.

@ abraham: That's good news. I hope they keep the activation by telephone possibility for Vista, that's how I activated XP.

Apofiss
21-10-06, 09:20
There is also a new game that just came out (the title of which escapes me at this moment) that needs to be activated online before you play it (in any mode). It's not like Steam/Valve but it has activation online only.

Battlefield 2142? It asks for EA online activation even for a single-player mode.

BTW Crisis is out in 2007 1st quarter, not that it's most wanted game, but it sure has some nice graphics/content.. so, damn you Vista. Anyways, Crysis will run on WinXP/DX9 :D

Lord Icon
21-10-06, 11:21
Battlefield 2142? It asks for EA online activation even for a single-player mode.

Yes, that's the one.

JANKERSON
21-10-06, 13:03
i think you can call mircosoft to activate Vista becuase when i had troubles trying to activate XP on my pc i had to call microsoft to fix the problem and it mentioned about VISTA products in the calling produre( press 1 to acitvate windows xp,press 2 ect).

Vista doesn't work the same as XP. ;)

Vista checks for validation continuously so people could be calling MS once a week or more:

From TechWEB (http://www.techweb.com/wire/software/193300234)

Although the Vista team's blog did not point out these changes, it did highlight others. "Two notable changes between Windows Vista license terms and those for Windows XP are: 1) failure of a validation check results in the loss of access to specific features; and 2) an increase in our warranty period from 90 days to 1 year, which brings Windows in line with most other Microsoft products," wrote Vista program manager Nick White.

Specifically, the Vista license calls out the ramifications of a failed validation check of Vista.

"The software will from time to time validate the software, update or require download of the validation feature of the software," it reads. "If after a validation check, the software is found not to be properly licensed, the functionality of the software may be affected."

Vista's new anti-piracy technologies, collectively dubbed "Software Protection Platform," have met with skepticism by analysts and criticism by users. Under the new program, a copy of Vista that's judged to be in violation of its license, or is counterfeit, is disabled after a set period, leaving the user access only to the default Web browser, and then only for an hour at a time.

JANKERSON
21-10-06, 13:10
It's a pointless effort, pirates will just crack it. That way Microsoft will lose a lot of potential customers.

It's going to be much different with Vista and with MS keeping track of the keys the way they do now with an updated database it will be impossible to have a pirate key. ;)

Also with Vista needed to do validation checks to stay active or the OS will basically all but stop working except for an hour a day (Limited functions).

MS learned a lot from XP and the Pirates are the reason why Vista is going to be the way it is.

Lord Icon
21-10-06, 13:21
The only people you can blame for all this (copy protection methods used by companies) are the software pirates and no one else.

JANKERSON
21-10-06, 13:23
Normal for an operating system? If we don't count Linux, which you can get for free, the only other mainstream operating system is Mac OS X. The price for this is $129 (there is also a family edition for $199, which includes five licenses). Notice that this isn't the cheap edition, this is the only (desktop) edition there is, which includes all features you can get for this OS. Of course, this is very biased, since Mac OS X basically only runs on computers that had a previous version of Mac OS (X or not X) installed when bought, so it's always an upgrade license (there is no special upgrade license). Still, comparing to Vista Full Edition, the price is lower while the operating system is not worse.

MAC's are a nick market and always have been although they seem to be getting more sales after OSX came out.

Linux never did or doesn't count as it's not ready for mainstream desktops and won't be for many years yet.

OSX is A LOT better than Linux will ever be in it's wildest dreams.

In short you get what you pay for.

As for the cost of the MAC OS.... What you failed to mention as Most MAC people always do is that Apple makes their money off of hardware selling Computers. The software never was their main source of income although that might change in the future with Apple using Intel CPUs now.

JANKERSON
21-10-06, 13:28
The only people you can blame for all this (copy protection methods used by companies) are the software pirates and no one else.

Yep exactly....

If it wasn't for them Windows would still cost $150 or less Retail. :mad:

Cochrane
21-10-06, 13:43
Yep exactly....

If it wasn't for them Windows would still cost $150 or less Retail. :mad:

While this is a convenient explanation, I have doubts whether it is true. I do not think that Microsoft would be loosing much money if they reduced the price on Vista, or made the system less restrictive.

In my opinion, the logic behind MS's new anti-customer measures is simply wrong. Pirates won't turn into customers if you make it harder being a pirate. The best you can get is that they will turn to other products (like Linux, or, maybe, Mac), in which case you won nothing. Targeting pirates as customers is just not a good idea. The money that Microsoft really looses due to piracy is likely to be far less than their official figure. Increased security in Vista, and the large amounts of tech support they will need for this, will cost Microsoft a lot of money, and whether they really gain anything by this is something that I doubt very much.

What Microsoft should do, in my opinion, is less to stop people being pirates, and more towards making them customers. Instead of increased restrictions, a cheaper product for those most likely to pirate is the way to go. Microsoft is already doing this with special editions of Office (both Mac and Windows) for students that have all features of the standard package, but allow for installation on up to three computers and cost only a third of the normal version. Something similar for Vista would probably turn much more pirates into customers than anything trying to stop the customer using his/her own software.

JANKERSON: Too bad, I hoped nobody would notice :D . Why do you think that Apple will start making more money due to being on Intel CPUs now? I heard countless rumors and suggestions of Apple stopping to make hardware and offering Mac OS X as a stand-alone product, but as you pointed out, they make their money with the hardware and they sell their hardware using their OS. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

JANKERSON
21-10-06, 14:45
What Microsoft should do, in my opinion, is less to stop people being pirates, and more towards making them customers. Instead of increased restrictions, a cheaper product for those most likely to pirate is the way to go. Microsoft is already doing this with special editions of Office (both Mac and Windows) for students that have all features of the standard package, but allow for installation on up to three computers and cost only a third of the normal version. Something similar for Vista would probably turn much more pirates into customers than anything trying to stop the customer using his/her own software.

MS tried that approach with Windows 3.1 through 2000 and it didn't work, then tried to do something about the Pirates with WinXP with just Product Activation. After they figured out how bad the Piracy really is (They knew all along) we have Vista with a much stronger Anti-Piracy protection.

You see people will always want something for nothing and the Software Manufactors can't afford to be very liberal anymore.

Cost isn't the issue with the Pirates as they will steal it anyway no matter how cheap it was so that's why we are going in the direction we are these days. They need to do everything they can to stop it along with all of the other Software manufactors.

The same goes for just about anything else we buy, theft costs all of us more money every year as all products have a certian percentage added into the cost due to theft so we all pay.

People will steal anything given the chance, I see it every day with idiots risking jail time for a $0.50 product.

JANKERSON: Too bad, I hoped nobody would notice :D . Why do you think that Apple will start making more money due to being on Intel CPUs now? I heard countless rumors and suggestions of Apple stopping to make hardware and offering Mac OS X as a stand-alone product, but as you pointed out, they make their money with the hardware and they sell their hardware using their OS. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

With the possibility for a cross platform, OSX being installed on X86 machines Apple can make more money selling software in the future.