PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way of playing a PC game...

RoseTyler
20-10-06, 19:33
...Without inserting the disc?

I took the sims2 autorun files off the game cd and copied them into the documents folder in my laptop but it still won't play. It says it needs me to insert the disc.

There must be a way to get it to work without the disc, just like the TR legend demo. That works when you click the autorun icon as there is no disc.

Please help! I wanna play the sims again!

(My laptop DiscDrive is broken)

Mad Tony
20-10-06, 19:47
No CD cracks.
Although I think they're illegal. :p

RoseTyler
20-10-06, 19:49
So your saying the TR legend demo is illegal then.

Please explain further because I have no idea when it comes to technical things like this

Lord Icon
20-10-06, 20:03
So your saying the TR legend demo is illegal then.

TRL demo, as all the other demos, don't need a CD in the drive simply because they don't have any. Demos are what it says they are... a demonstration of a game (usually a level or two) for you to see how a game will look like so you can decide if you want to buy it or not.

Lord Icon
20-10-06, 20:13
Now, NoCD are used to patch a full game so you can play it without having the original CD in the CD drive. But first you have to install a game which requires the original CD in the CD drive.

Although NoCD patches are used by many people that own the original game CDs they also are used by people with pirated copies. So the legality of NoCD patches depends on how each individual uses it.

Lord Icon
20-10-06, 20:21
(My laptop DiscDrive is broken)

Back to your problem. If your laptop's CD drive is "broken" you will need to replace it, use an external CD drive, or a virtual CD software to install the game first. I don't know about Sims installation process since I don't have any of the Sims games but I'm pretty sure you need to install the game and the copying of the installation files from one hard drive to another will not work if the game writes entries into registry.

RoseTyler
20-10-06, 20:45
The sims 2 is already installed in my laptop (legally too I might add). Has been since last year when my disc drive used to work.

Lord Icon
20-10-06, 20:51
Then, if you own the original Sims CD, NoCD patch is for you.

Cochrane
20-10-06, 20:53
There are some people who have the point of view that any NoCD patch is illegal, no matter for what purpose. I, personally, have no experience with legal issues, but I would at least not consider it morally wrong to use a NoCD patch if you do own the full game.

RoseTyler
20-10-06, 21:22
Thanks I'm just searching for the sims 2 no cd patch now :)

Lord Icon
20-10-06, 23:33
Before applying a patch backup your original files. Not all patches will work and sometimes you'll have to try a couple of them. All depends on the version of the game you have and the patch itself.

badboy70
21-10-06, 14:47
IF you use a No CD for TS2, there is one negative side on it. You won't be able to build anymore :(, The Sims 2 has a special protection that prevents you for playing the game without the game. It's not like Securom,..

RoseTyler
22-10-06, 18:42
OMG your kidding! Thats the whole reason i wanna play! :( *cries*

badboy70
22-10-06, 19:06
OMG your kidding! Thats the whole reason i wanna play! :( *cries*unless you use a back-up cd/DVD, but i don't know if TS2 will accept them... (illegal too)

RoseTyler
22-10-06, 19:08
grr i just want my stupid laptop fixing :(

badboy70
22-10-06, 19:09
grr i just want my stupid laptop fixing :(or use curerom :D