PDA

View Full Version : ****** Testers required for new TR Update Installer ******

Simulation
21-10-06, 23:38
Hi Guys,

I have revamped the TR Update Installer for WinXP.
The Updates for TR2 TR3 TR4 TR5 and TR LE are now combined into a single Installer that has also been updated to detect Windows Vista as well as Win2000 and XP.

TRUPDATE.EXE (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/download/trupdate.exe)

So I need people to try out this beta installer and report back their findings. If your game is already patched it would be good if you can uninstall the game and start from fresh. Use TRRC.EXE (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/download/trrc.exe) (TR Registry Cleaner) before reinstalling to ensure it is a clean.

The Installer does make a backup of the files before updating, so you can copy your original files from the sub folder in the installed folder called \backup

The installer will detect what is installed on the hard disk and only offer the relevant updates.

The user then selects which updates to install and presses Install. All selected versions are then updated.

TR3 will prompt for the CD. This is to allow the FMV and Sound to be transferred to the hard drive for smoother game play. If not found then you are given an option to retry or cancel.

After each update the game is returned to factory default and the setup will automatically be run when the game is started.

Have a play and see what you think.

http://www.tombraiderhub.com/download/pages.gif

raiderfun
21-10-06, 23:45
Oh wow !!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH !! :cln: :cln: :cln: i'll try that immediately ! ;)

raiderfun
21-10-06, 23:57
Downloaded and Updated . Worked Fine for tomb raider level Editor :yah:

Well , thank you so much simulation :hug: :jmp:

Simulation
22-10-06, 00:02
Did it detect all your installed games?

raiderfun
22-10-06, 00:15
Did it detect all your installed games?
On this computer i have only Tomb Raider Level Editor and Tomb Raider Legend installed , and yes it detected trle ! ;)

Lord Icon
22-10-06, 01:44
Having all the updates in one installer is a great idea. I'll give it a spin. I just finished re-doing my game system so it's clean from TR, and any other games for that matter.

Two things though, Sim:

1. Any chance of renaming "TombRaider Update" to "TR All-in-One Updater" or "TR All-in-One Patcher". Just a suggestion.

2. On the second screenshot it says "Space required: 471.2MB".
471.2MB? That can't be correct. Is it a glitch in the program?

raiderfun
22-10-06, 02:17
2. On the second screenshot it says "Space required: 471.2MB".
471.2MB? That can't be correct. Is it a glitch in the program?
[/QUOTE]
Lord when tried the update in my dad pc ,it worked finer , it detected the tr installed , but when i tried in my old pc , i had exactly the same message as you ;) , i hope sim will repair this :) :)

Lord Icon
22-10-06, 02:19
Two more things, Sim:

1. On the second screenshot (again) it shows updates for TR II, III and TRC (no TLR and TR LE). Does your app detect the installed TR games and then shows the updates accordingly (which would be a nice feature) or it suppose to show all of them leaving the user to decide which updates to install?

2. This one is another suggestion. On the same screenshot it says TombRaider II Update, TombRaider III Update and TombRaider Chronicles. To avoid any possible confusion (for some) in the future it would be better if all the titles had "update" at the end of them. Someone could think that by selecting "TombRaider Chronicles" the app will install the actual game and not the update for it. Again, just a suggestion.

2kool4u
22-10-06, 05:47
hey a quick question what does this do?

Lord Icon
22-10-06, 06:17
hey a quick question what does this do?

To play TR (1-5) games or to improve their performance on XP systems you need some patches which were created by Simulation, a member of this forum (look at post #1), and are available from Tomb Raider Chronicles (http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/) site. Sim just made an app (an updater) for all the TR games (except AOD and TRL) that contains all of them in one place. Instead of downloading 5 files for each TR game you just download 1.

It is explained in the first post.

2kool4u
22-10-06, 06:19
To play TR (1-5) games or to improve their performance on XP systems you need some patches which were created by Simulation, a member of this forum (look at post #1), and are available from Tomb Raider Chronicles (http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/) site. Sim just made an app (an updater) for all the TR games (except AOD and TRL) that contains all of them in one place. Instead of downloading 5 files for each TR game you just download 1.

It is explained in the first post.
o0ok thanks!!!:D

Simulation
22-10-06, 09:52
On this computer i have only Tomb Raider Level Editor and Tomb Raider Legend installed , and yes it detected trle !
Thanks for the confirmation. :tmb:

Any chance of renaming "TombRaider Update" to "TR All-in-One Updater" or "TR All-in-One Patcher". Just a suggestion
I'm not sure about All-in-One as the Update does not include TR1 AOD or TRL. Maybe something like TR Classic Update might work? I have altered the License screen text to be a little more informative.
"Tomb Raider Update for Win2000, XP, Vista. TonmbRader II, III, Last Revelations, Chronicles and Level Editor are covered in this program."
On the second screenshot it says "Space required: 471.2MB". 471.2MB? That can't be correct. Is it a glitch in the program?
The TR3 Update copies the FMV, Audio, Pix, Cuts and Data folders from the CD, so I include that size when TR3 is selected.

Does your app detect the installed TR games and then shows the updates accordingly (which would be a nice feature)
Yes, It will only show the updates for the Installed games. It will also display the message "No suitable Updates available" when no games are present:)

it would be better if all the titles had "update" at the end of them.
Ta. I have updated this and it will be in the next version.

abraham
22-10-06, 09:58
oh i wish i could help sorry:( i only have aod and legend currently installed and probably dont need to test it.

EDIT: what did you code your program from? c+_+,visual basic ??

Simulation
22-10-06, 10:03
New version now available. trupdate.exe (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/download/trupdate.exe)

Simulation
22-10-06, 10:06
EDIT: what did you code your program from? c+_+,visual basic ??
I created the Installer with NSIS (http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page) which is a very popular open source program to create Windows Installers.

Joseph
22-10-06, 10:55
Morning Sim. :) trupdate.exe (http://www.tombraidierhub/download/trupdate.exe)Link doesn't work.

Simulation
22-10-06, 10:57
Oooooppppps . It does now :)

Joseph
22-10-06, 11:57
I updated while not having TR CD in the player. After the Updater completed, Message appears:
CD Audio could not be found in CD-ROM the drive!

You might want to change that to
the CD-ROM drive.

Joseph
22-10-06, 12:11
A suggestion, Simulation.
After uninstalling the games, all the backup-files your installer created remain, PLUS they prevented Uninstallshield to remove the Core Design > TR Games directories.
Maybe your TRRC should include a uninstaller that replaces normal uninstall procedure?

Simulation
22-10-06, 12:14
Dyslexic fingers. Fixed :)

Joseph
22-10-06, 12:56
Now the Vista testround:
I uninstalled all Tomb Raider games. Removed the remaining Program Files \ Core Design directory manually.
Defragmented, rebooted.
Installed Tomb Raider 2, 3, 4, 5 and LE.
Running your Updater:
it does not work. :confused:

While your previous seperate Updaters worked on Vista, with this latest version i get message: "No suitable updates available".
:confused:

Simulation
22-10-06, 16:56
Did you try starting the games, before running the updater?

Joseph
22-10-06, 17:00
No, i didn't run any of the games before updating.

Your previous seperate updaters worked. Only with this latest version i got message: "No suitable updates available".
I still have not run any of the TR classic games. Only updated them successfully using your previous seperate updaters.
I will uninstall all, then await a new version of your "all in one updater" to test on Vista.

Simulation
22-10-06, 18:49
A few updates added.

A Utilities section has been added that contains:-

Remove All Backup - This can be checked while installing the updates or run afterwards.

Run Diagnose - diagnose.exe is included and automatically run.

Launch TR Registry Cleaner - trrc.exe is included and launched.

Simulation
22-10-06, 18:51
Hi Jo,
Not sure why Vista doesn't work? The same code is used in the seperate updaters. I'll have to take a copy to work tommorow and try it out.

Joseph
22-10-06, 21:46
Sim, i thoroughly redid it and it works. No idea why it didn't work previously. :confused:
I noticed that Vista does not uninstall well always, maybe that has something to do with it... :pi:
Anyway, it's fair to say your program works. :)

Simulation
22-10-06, 22:16
Thanks Jo,

That's good news. I must admit I couldn't understand why it would work in XP but not Vista. Anyway, all sorted. :tmb:

Lord Icon
22-10-06, 22:23
I'm not sure about All-in-One as the Update does not include TR1 AOD or TRL. Maybe something like TR Classic Update might work?

All-in-One would indicate that all available updates are included in that installer/updater/patcher and not the TR games since some of them don't have/need updates/patches. But I can see your point.

I don't know though if adding updates for AOD (v42 and v49) and TRL (v1.2) would be a good idea or not (only concern would be the file size). If yes, TR II, III, IV, V and TR LE titles would have to have "XP Patch" at the end of them and AOD and TRL titles "Update". Just an idea.

I have altered the License screen text to be a little more informative.
"Tomb Raider Update for Win2000, XP, Vista. TonmbRader II, III, Last Revelations, Chronicles and Level Editor are covered in this program."

:tmb:

The TR3 Update copies the FMV, Audio, Pix, Cuts and Data folders from the CD, so I include that size when TR3 is selected.

Yes, that escaped my attention.

Just trying to help.

I'll test the new version you posted this evening and report back.

Joseph
22-10-06, 22:37
Thanks Jo,

That's good news. I must admit I couldn't understand why it would work in XP but not Vista. Anyway, all sorted. :tmb:Well i noticed similar with Half-Life2: on Vista, when uninstalled and even rebooted, most of the files (4.7 GB) still remain there!
I have been busy with game testing all afternoon and a few times TR classics after uninstall and reboot remained as well. I will redo it another time now to be sure... :pi:
EDIT: redid, and it works again.

Simulation
22-10-06, 23:29
Hi lord Icon,
Thanks for your feedback :tmb: As for adding AOD and TRL, I don't think that is needed. They are too big and self install anyway.

Jo,
Thanks for feedback of trrc.exe I have added a warning before the program is started.

A new version has been uploaded that incorporates todays feedback.

TRUPDATE.EXE (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/download/trupdate.exe)

Simulation
24-10-06, 00:00
OK Guys, I think the final version is ready. TRUPDATE.EXE (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/download/trupdate.exe)

I found and sorted the "No suitable versions installed" bug that Jo fell over.

Summary............

Single Installer for TR2 TR3 TR4 TRLE and TR5 on Win2000, XP and Vista
Only offers Updates for Installed games
TR3 requires CD as it will copy FMV, Audio, data to hard drive. This fixes the pauses in FMV and game play as well as the "No CD in drive" problem.
After each update the game is returned to factory default and the setup will automatically be run when the game is started.
Option to Remove Backup files
Option to Run Diagnose
Option to Launch TR Registry Cleaner
All options and updates can be run together on individually.

raiderfun
24-10-06, 00:03
Thank you Sim :)
And i hope this , time it will works on my Old computer :)

raiderfun
24-10-06, 00:09
Oh thanks , it does clean also the installed TR , thank you another time Sim ! :tmb: :)

Lord Icon
24-10-06, 02:10
OK Sim, I downloaded the final TRU and tested it. Here's my report:

1. OS:
- XP SP2

2. TR games installed:
- TR II
- TR III
- TR IV
- TR LE
- TR V

3. TR games detected:
- TR II
- TR III
- TR IV
- TR LE
- TR V

4. TR games updated:
- TR II
- TR III
- TR IV
- TR LE
- TR V

Also, all the additional options are operational.

It's a GO. :tmb:

Joseph
24-10-06, 05:02
Hi Sim. It works on Vista. :tmb:

1. But, i ran the Updater. Then, after updating TR2 and TR3 (the only ones i had installed yet), i first installed The Lost Artifact. Then i wanted to launch TR3 first time and it did not start with Setup as the Installer promised it would.

2. I can run the updater again, and again, and it will redo the whole procedure (copying TR3 files to hdd). Shouldn't it detect that all was done successfully before and then prompt to exit?

3. One last point, this happens on both OS: in the Updater, the progress bar does not show realtime progress, it sticks at 1/4th while copying TR3 files and suddenly shows full after the message that compatibility mode should be undone when previously applied.
It would be nicer if a popup message "Completed" would appear first, or the progression bar was realtime. So the user gets the feeling everything goes allright.:)

Simulation
24-10-06, 21:16
Latest Version

TRLA update added
Option to extract all updates to Desktop (just for Justin :))
Option to remove TR3 CD Data from hard disk (just for Jo :) )

Jo's other points
1. TR3 start setup - fixed
2. I think that is OK. You would only run the updater a second time if you wanted to refresh the files.
3. Changed the progress by displaying a File Copy dialog with progress for each folder.

Lord Icon
24-10-06, 21:20
Sim,

Is the link in your first post for the latest final TRU version?

Simulation
24-10-06, 21:24
Yep. Always the same link :)

Joseph
24-10-06, 21:25
Option to remove TR3 CD Data from hard disk (just for Jo :) )
Hah, thanks! :D

Joseph
24-10-06, 21:39
Tested on Vista. :)

It's beautifull, Sim! :tmb:

jackali
24-10-06, 22:16
I tried it out, and it worked perfectly for TR2,3,4,5 and LE.

Simulation
24-10-06, 22:22
Thanks for testing Jaclali :tmb:

jackali
24-10-06, 22:29
no problem:D

SLAYER
25-10-06, 07:03
why not include aod and trl .... it could be very helpful for some
if u included aod... could u make the ver. 39 available for trubleshooting .. many onthis forum requisted it

wile i still didnt try the program... you can make a link for "more help" for each TR that goes to the TRhub.com (you get what i mean right?)

thanx for the effort:)

Simulation
25-10-06, 07:14
TRL and AOD already have perfectly good installers which work with XP and Vista. The other main disadvantage would be the download size. It would add an additional 42MB to the installer.

SLAYER
25-10-06, 10:56
I thoghy it have links to the trhub theat make u check and download the latest vers.
sorry :) my fault ...didnt try it