PDA

View Full Version : Loud noise from the back of my computer

tombraider123
25-10-06, 12:53
I keep getting this loud noise from the back of my PC, I don't know what it is, but it sounds like it could be coming from the fan or something and the only way i can get red of it is by tapping it really hard, but i dont want to keep tapping it because it may cause damage.

Anyone know what could be wrong?

Joseph
25-10-06, 13:17
The fan is worn out and should be replaced asap, or there is some loose cable touching it?

Anyway, tapping the PC is very unwise. Shocks may reach the harddiskdrive, causing irrepairable damage. Shocks can also displace Ram modules, connection-plugs...

Place the PC (on a table) in a way that you can easily focus your eyes and ears to what is happening on the back side while it is running. The best view you get when you remove the side so you can look in.

tombraider123
25-10-06, 13:25
Ok.

I am pretty sure it's the fan - as i blew it and it stopped for about 10 seconds, I did that just to make sure.

There is tonnes of dust clogged up in the fan, im guessing thats the main reason. For the moment it's ok, but it will most likely come back later.

Joseph
25-10-06, 13:36
Yes you must clean it. Shut PC down. Open case. Use a brush to remove the dust from the fins of the fan, use a vacuumcleaner to clean the surroundings while you hold the fan still (making it rotate can cause electricel shocks to the motherboard!) till it is cleaned.

A second reason for the noise could be that the fan's axis (i don't know the correct english word for it) is warn out. Then you must replace, costs about 7 euro's.

tombraider123
25-10-06, 13:42
Yes you must clean it. Shut PC down. Open case. Use a brush to remove the dust from the fins of the fan, use a vacuumcleaner to clean the surroundings while you hold the fan still (making it rotate can cause electricel shocks to the motherboard!) till it is cleaned.

A second reason for the noise could be that the fan's axis (i don't know the correct english word for it) is warn out. Then you must replace, costs about 7 euro's.

Ok, thanks for the help. Although I am almost certain it's the dust clogging it up, since it's working fine at the moment - but the dust builds up really easily since the back of the PC is in a tiny cramped area.

Joseph
25-10-06, 13:47
The backside of the PC has an important ventilation function so it should have enough free space and not be placed against a wall.

tombraider123
25-10-06, 13:50
The backside of the PC has an important ventilation function so it should have enough free space and not be placed against a wall.

I just realised there is a fan on the side aswell, which is right next to a wall. I will have to get my dad to have a look at that one aswell. And get the desk moved over a bit to give the fans room.

Joseph
25-10-06, 18:48
Yes, because dust in the fans causes permanent overheat of the precious components (CPU, graphics card, harddiskdrive) and the motherboard, which is bad for performance and damaging on the long run.
You should look closer at your PC: most PC's have at least 1 fan at the front sucking air insidewards, the backside fan(s) blow(s) the inside air outwards. The CPU fan is in between these. All 3 should be dustfree, freely rotating, keeping parts cool as possible.