PDA

View Full Version : A little problem with Itunes.

Mad Tony
26-10-06, 18:45
Hi,

Recently, we got a new external HDD, and I deleted the "My Music" folder on my computer's HDD, and when I went onto Itunes, I found there was nothing on there.
I'm okay with that for now, but I want to add a few songs to my Ipod.
And it appears I cannot do that without replacing all the old files on my Ipod.
Is there anyway I can get the songs onto the Ipod, without deleting anything on my Ipod?

Joseph
26-10-06, 19:01
I don't have an iPod. But i suspect that this occurs because you deleted the "My Music" folder so you also deleted its database-key.

I would try the following:
-Copy and paste the complete contents of your iPod into an archive folder.
-Reinstall the iPod software, with as default the "My Music" folder (like it was before).
-Copy and paste the complete contents of your archive folder into the "My Music" folder and add your new music. :)

Cochrane
26-10-06, 19:20
You are correct, you cannot get the songs on the iPod without deleting what is on there at the moment. Sorry.

Mad Tony
26-10-06, 19:21
I don't have an iPod. But i suspect that this occurs because you deleted the "My Music" folder so you also deleted its database-key.

I would try the following:
-Copy and paste the complete contents of your iPod into an archive folder.
-Reinstall the iPod software, with as default the "My Music" folder (like it was before).
-Copy and paste the complete contents of your archive folder into the "My Music" folder and add your new music. :)

How do I view the contents of my Ipod?

Joseph
26-10-06, 19:25
As i said i don't have one.

BUT: when you connect it to your PC, i assume it is viewed in "This Computer"?
Like my MP3 player is. :)

Mad Tony
26-10-06, 19:30
As i said i don't have one.

BUT: when you connect it to your PC, i assume it is viewed in "This Computer"?
Like my MP3 player is. :)
I'll try that.
Thanks. :)

EDIT: It's not on "My Computer".
I don't know where else it could be.

Joseph
26-10-06, 19:36
When you connect the iPod to your PC, what happens? Does XP say: "new hardware found"?

BTW: you should NOT have deleted the "My Music" folder because it is a System folder....

Mad Tony
26-10-06, 19:41
When you connect the iPod to your PC, what happens? Does XP say: "new hardware found"?
I may have solved this.
Real Player comes up when I plug my Ipod in, and it lists all the music on my Ipod.
Now, if I can add the files I want to add originally, I should be able to do it no problem.

Simulation
26-10-06, 19:43
The Ipod is different to normal (USB flash disk). The songs are only viewable via Itunes and is auomatically synchronised with the PC. So if songs are missing from iTunes they are removed from the iPod.

I don't know if there is any 3rd party software that can be used to download the songs from the iPod, but it would be worth a search.

I found this link (http://www.redchairsoftware.com/anapod/copygear.php) and there is a free trial version

Cochrane
26-10-06, 19:44
When iTunes is installed (as it apparently is here) and you connect your iPod, iTunes will open. Whether you see the iPod in "My Computer" or not is something that you can set in iTunes. Either way, you won't see the music on the iPod. iTunes manages this completely itself, and if you do discover the hidden folders, you'll find that they don't make sense at all. One can discuss in length about whether you need access to the actual music folders on your iPod (being an iTunes lover, I think you don't), but the fact is that you don't have it.

If you want to get the music from your iPod back on your computer, you'll have to look for third-party software. I think iLounge (http://ilounge.com/) has some suggestions.

Edit: Simulation beat me to posting this.

Simulation
26-10-06, 19:47
Great minds think alike :)

Mad Tony
26-10-06, 19:52
Right, i've downloaded and found the Ipod.
What do I do next?

Joseph
26-10-06, 19:57
Copy and paste the complete contents of your iPod into an archive folder.? :)

Mad Tony
26-10-06, 20:03
Copy and paste the complete contents of your iPod into an archive folder.? :)
Which archive folder?

I can't copy and paste? :confused:
Don't worry, done it now.

So which archive folder?

Joseph
26-10-06, 20:12
You just create a folder, anywhere you like, call it Archive (or whatever). ;)

Mad Tony
26-10-06, 20:13
You just create a folder, anywhere you like, call it Archive (or whatever). ;)
But I can't copy or paste it.
It only says "backup".

Joseph
26-10-06, 20:22
Create an Archive folder within "My Documents".
Copy and Paste the contents of the iPod folder into this new Archive folder. :)

Mad Tony
26-10-06, 20:23
Create an Archive folder within "My Documents".
Copy and Paste the contents of the iPod folder into this new Archive folder. :)
But that's the thing, it won't let me copy it.

Joseph
26-10-06, 20:26
I told you i don't have one myself, only suggesting. Try Simulation's an Cochrane's replies as well please.

Mad Tony
26-10-06, 20:28
I told you i don't have one myself, only suggesting. Try Simulation's an Cochrane's replies as well please.
Don't worry about it anymore, i'm gonna wipe it, and start from scratch.

Joseph
26-10-06, 20:40
Why? :confused: If there is anything to wipe, there is material to save, isn't it? Anyway you made your choice.. :)

Mad Tony
27-10-06, 06:56
Why? :confused: If there is anything to wipe, there is material to save, isn't it? Anyway you made your choice.. :)
No.
Because the trial version only let's you back up 25 files.
And you can't copy and paste the archive.
And on Real player you can't transfer the songs.

But it's okay.
I've got most of it back now anyway. :)

george_croft
27-10-06, 08:34
Welcome to the world of itunes. Its full of problems and pain. Thats why gave away my ipod after a month.:D