PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

Dead_spiriT
27-10-06, 08:55
Look:

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/5779/untitlednw3.th.jpg

I have reinstall windows, and I've noticed that those things missing. Where to find them?

jamieoliver22
27-10-06, 10:27
Can you fix your screenshot please, it is really small at the moment and it isnt clickable.

EDIT: Fixed it for you:

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/5779/untitlednw3.jpg

Anyway, try right clicking on each of these and choosing 'Properties'. Then click the 'Driver' tab and choose 'Install/Update Driver'. Then follow the wizard to search for a driver for you, and choose to go online to find the relevant one.

Good luck.

Thanks.
Jamie.

Dead_spiriT
28-10-06, 09:15
Thank you.
Unfortunately, I cant' find that option.

As you said, I go on properties> Driver> Update driver...

Now there is 2 options:
1.Install the software automatically (Recommended)
2.Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)

After first option it say that he can't find that... ok, I choose 2 option

Again 2 options:
1.Search for the best driver in these locations. (Removable media)
2.Don't search. I will choose the driver to install.

And I'm lost. Do I need to put more info...

(I'm really sorry, but I'm really not good in computers...

Joseph
28-10-06, 11:28
So, reinstalled Windows unprepared.

First look for the CD that belongs to your motherboard. All these items' drivers should be on there.
On the motherboard's manufacterer's website you might discover that there are newer versions available... or not.
This you should have prepared before you started.

So: look for the CD.
If you can't find it, there is the timeconsuming alternative way: download and install Everest Home (http://www.jozefdekkers.nl/everesthome200.zip). On the left panel you see a rootstructure; on the right panel you see the details.
At the left, select Motherboard. In the right panel, right-click on the text > select "Copy All" and paste the complete text into your next reply.

Tomb_Vader
28-10-06, 17:42
These entries look like your motherboard has an on-board NIC (network support) and is also missing drivers for various PCI interconnects and the SMBUS device - I can't be sure about the NIC since I don't know whether you also use a PCI network card plugged into the board, but I do notice there is an entry for "Network adapters," right above the highlighted problem devices.

Anyway, just go to your motherboard manufacturer's website and check for driver downloads for your model. You're likely to find drivers for IDE, VGA, network, and the like.

That is of course assuming you know what mobo you have. If the computer was purchased pre-built you probably don't, so visit the PC vendor's website instead and again, look for downloads (or support) for your particular model PC. Hope this helps. Good luck :)

Dead_spiriT
29-10-06, 08:57
Joseph... One problem... Text is on Croatian... So you wont understand it... How to switch that program on English?

Tomb _Vander, I'll try...

Thank you all...

Dead_spiriT
29-10-06, 09:21
OK, I have find CD that I've get with mainboard...

This is what it content:

nVidia nForce4 Chipset/Chipset drivers
- Microsoft DirectC 9.0C
- nVidia nForce4 System Drivers

nVidia nForce4 Chipset/Graphic Drivers
- Microsoft's.NET version 1.1 framework
- nVidia GForce Drivers for WinXP/2K
- ATi Radeon Drivers for Win XP/2K

nVidia nForce4 Chipset/Audio Drivers
- RealTek Audio Drivers

nVidia nForce4 Chipset/USB Drivers
- (empti???:P???)

nVidia nForce4 Chipset / Network Drivers
- Marvell LAN Drivers

(also there are some tools, but I guess not important)
This is the picture.
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7963/untitled111hi0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

What do I need to install from this CD?
Sorry for being so boring:P with my problems.

Dead_spiriT
29-10-06, 12:48
Well, I did kill all question marks. I hope it's ok... Only modem is weird, but maybe that is normal... Who know:P.

Tomb_Vader
29-10-06, 14:12
I would begin by installing the Chipset/USB and Chipset/Network drivers. Really, I'd just go with the whole package (best to download the latest version for your motherboard from nVidia's website though). You can't really do much harm there as Windows' Device Manager allows you to roll back drivers for each device, should the nVidia drivers cause any problems.

I gotta ask you one thing, though... do you really have 3 IDE controllers (each with two IDE channels) in your computer? How and why?

Edit: On second thought, here's the best way to install/update the devices Windows shows with a yellow question mark. If after downloading nVidia's driver package you can extract it and have a directory with the driver files and .INF files in it, then you can install them through Device Manager. To do so, rightclick on each device, select Update Driver, "Install from a list or specific location," then "Don't search--I will choose the driver to install," then in the next window click on the "Have Disk" button and browse to the folder with the extracted drivers. Windows should then pick up the .INF file matching your device and allow you to update it.

Dead_spiriT
29-10-06, 21:51
Ok, I have install all things that missing, I think.

About that IDE controllers... strange thing. I really don't know. Maybe the reason is that I have reinstall windows twice, so... When I'm using computer, strange thing happens. Anyway, can it make any harm?

Joseph
29-10-06, 22:00
No, that is not because you reinstalled Windows twice.

Those are controllers in your chipset.

When I'm using computer, strange thing happens. What happens?

Joseph
29-10-06, 22:11
Wait. You installed Windows XP over XP?

You forgot to format first? I see several devices twice or 3 times.

This looks like ****.

Best is to format, and reinstall a NEW INSTALLATION. ;)

Dead_spiriT
29-10-06, 22:12
No, no, no, that was joke, like: if I touch computer, it will be instantly broken:P
Sorry, bad English again...

Everything works fine, almost... But some things I guess are unfixable.

Joseph
29-10-06, 22:14
We posted at the same time. I edited. :)

Dead_spiriT
29-10-06, 22:28
Lol... Again?!?

Last time I have format disk on where windows are now. I'm sure about that.

Well, let's better get back to my old problem that I've told you before:

When I'm in windows, and when I don't play some new game (Toimb Raider Legend for example), it start to stutter (when I play new game, It works fine, but if I play an old game, it works not fine). When I wish to watch some music video on YouToube, that's horrible how much it stutter, and don't make me start talk on how much it stutter when I open some video on winamp. Well, I have million times try to reinstall drivers before, and nothing really helps.
So, I've take my comp to place where I've buy all that stuff with my 'Guaranty Papers' and they've told me that problem was because I didn't have original windows. Ok, so I have buy Windows XP Home Edition original, and no changes. Same again. I'm thinking to take it again to them to fix it, or to replace broken part.
What do you think. What could it be?

Joseph
29-10-06, 22:42
The only way to get this right is to reinstall, select New Installation, and completely format (Full format, not quick format).

When XP is completed, install your nForce chipset drivers and your nVidia videodrivers.

Dead_spiriT
29-10-06, 22:50
Ok
I'll try in next few days...

Thank you.

Joseph
29-10-06, 22:55
From this page (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348/)How to partition and format your hard disk by using the Windows XP Setup program

Important If you follow these steps on a hard disk that is not empty, all the data on that hard disk is permanently deleted.
We recommend that you back up your hard disk before you follow these steps.

To partition and format your hard disk by using the Windows XP Setup program:
1.Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, or insert the first Windows XP Setup disk into the floppy disk drive, and then restart the computer.

[Note To start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM (or from the startup disk), your computer must be configured to start from the CD-ROM drive, the DVD-ROM drive, or the floppy disk drive. In some cases, you may have to modify your computer's BIOS settings to set this configuration. For information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive, the DVD-ROM drive, or the floppy disk drive, see the documentation that is included with your computer, or contact the computer manufacturer.]

2.If you are starting the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM, select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do this.

[Note If your hard disk controller requires a third-party original equipment manufacturer (OEM) driver, press F6 to specify the driver.

For more information about how to use F6 to supply a third-party OEM device driver while the Windows Setup program is running, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 314859 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314859/) (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314859/) Limited OEM driver support is available with F6 during Windows XP Setup
If you are starting from the Windows XP Setup disks, insert each of the additional disks when you are prompted, and then press ENTER to continue after you insert each disk.]

3.At the Welcome to Setup page, press ENTER.

Note If you are using the Setup disks (6 bootable disks), the setup will prompt you to instert the Windows XP CD.

5.Press F8 to accept the Windows XP Licensing Agreement.

6.If an existing Windows XP installation is detected, you are prompted to repair it. To bypass the repair, press ESC.

7.All the existing partitions and the unpartitioned spaces are listed for each physical hard disk. Use the ARROW keys to select the partition or the unpartitioned space where you want to create a new partition. Press D to delete an existing partition, or press C to create a new partition by using unpartitioned space. If you press D to delete an existing partition, you must then press L (or press ENTER, and then press L if it is the System partition) to confirm that you want to delete the partition. Repeat this step for each of the existing partitions that you want to use for the new partition. When all the partitions are deleted, select the remaining unpartitioned space, and then press C to create the new partition.

[Note If you want to create a partition where one or more partitions already exist, you must first delete the existing partition or partitions, and then create the new partition.]

8.Type the size in megabytes (MB) that you want to use for the new partition, and then press ENTER, or just press ENTER to create the partition with the maximum size.

9.Repeat Steps 4 and 5 to create additional partitions if you want them.

10.If you want to install Windows XP, use the ARROW keys to select the partition where you want to install Windows XP, and then press ENTER. If you do not want to format the partition and install Windows XP, press F3 two times to quit the Windows Setup program, and then do not follow the remaining steps. In this case, you must use a different utility to format the partition.

11.Select the format option that you want to use for the partition, and then press ENTER. You have the following options:

Format the partition by using the NTFS file system (Quick)
Format the partition by using the FAT file system (Quick)
Format the partition by using the NTFS file system
Format the partition by using the FAT file system
Leave the current file system intact (no changes)
The option to leave the current file system intact is not available if the selected partition is a new partition.
The FAT file system option is not available if the selected partition is more than 32 gigabytes (GB).
If the partition is larger than 2 GB, the Windows Setup program uses the FAT32 file system (you must press ENTER to confirm).
If the partition is smaller than 2 GB, the Windows Setup program uses the FAT16 file system.Note If you deleted and created a new System partition, but you are installing Windows XP on a different partition, you will be prompted to select a file system for both the System and startup partitions.

12.After the Windows Setup program formats the partition, follow the instructions that appear on the screen to continue. After the Windows Setup program is completed, you can use the Disk Management tools in Windows XP to create or format more partitions.
The format method you choose is important. Quick format is not a real format.
The only way to reach a fresh XP is to start all over and do the full format.

Tomb_Vader
01-11-06, 02:01
Full format is definitely the way to go. Additionally, when I install WinXP fresh and find there are partitions present on the harddisk, I like to delete all of them and then let Windows Setup repartition the unallocated space before formatting and installing.