PDA

View Full Version : Legend vs. AOD: Does anybody else just hate both of them?

Natla'd
28-10-06, 20:32
Okay, "hate" may be a strong word to use, but I just wanted to get this off my chest.

I've noticed a sort of AOD vs. TRL trend in threads, recently - like, those who dislike Legend will be praising AOD and pointing out things it has that Legend hasn't and vice versa. It's getting to a point were people are assuming that if you dislike one, you're a fan of the other (perhaps not on this board, but I think somebody accused me of being an AOD fan on the Eidos one). And granted, in many cases it is a case of AOD fans vs. Legend fans, but surely there's at least a few people who thought they both kinda suck/aren't really Tomb Raider-y? Like Elysia or Blackmoor, maybe? I know you're out there. :p

(apologies if this is on the wrong board.)

Mad Tony
28-10-06, 20:33
I hate em' both. ;)
Not equally, but they're both not Tomb Raider, they both have stupid imitation Lara's so I don't like em'.

Angel_14
28-10-06, 20:35
I like both of them... now THAT'S surprising, huh? :ton: :D

Mad Tony
28-10-06, 20:36
Do you like the classics?
IMO, the real Tomb Raider's.

Ampersand
28-10-06, 20:36
I think they both kind of suck and aren't very Tomb Raider-y - both are heavily flawed and without many redeeming features - though if I had to choose one over the other it would be AOD. It took another bad TR game to put AOD into perspective, and now I appreciate it more.

Night Crawler
28-10-06, 20:37
They both have nothing on the classics, but at least Legend is playable. :pi:

Natla'd

Really? I thought you hated AOD. Especially that Kurtis Trent...:p

Mad Tony, glad to see I'm not alone. :D

Rickéh
I like them both :)

Angel_14
28-10-06, 20:38

I love them. However, I got TR1 after AoD, it's still my fave :)

MiCkiZ88
28-10-06, 20:39
I like both of 'em for variable reasons.. but the lovable ones are the first 4 classics..

Mad Tony
28-10-06, 20:39
Mad Tony, glad to see I'm not alone. :D
I didn't think you would be anyway.

I'm finding these forums like the world in the Cold War, it's been split into two.
Us classic fans (what I call the west! :cool:) and the new fans. (the east. :pi:)

Yuna´s Wish
28-10-06, 20:43
I like both for different reasons, and I like the Classics too. The worst TR is Chronicles, but I somehow like it too...

Natla'd
28-10-06, 20:44
Those are boring names, Tony. :p Can't we be called "The Fighting Mongooses"? :D

Night Crawler
28-10-06, 20:47
Nostalgia plays a big part in the hatred of the new games. No Tomb Raider game could ever live up to the feeling you got when playing the classics. Even if Core Design reformed and released another epic Tomb Raider adventure using the old engine, the old style and the old atmosphere, it still would never even compare with the others. I'm not saying we have to settle for crap but we do need to move with the times.

Mad Tony
28-10-06, 20:49
Those are boring names, Tony. :p Can't we be called "The Fighting Mongooses"? :D
No way! :p

How about "The Classic Freedom Fighters"

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/violent045.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)
:D

Bonez
28-10-06, 20:51

I don't think thats a fair question. I don't think its fair to have west and east either.

Just because people like Legend and AOD doesn't mean they don't like the classics or havent played them. I like AOD and I also like the classic.

I don't like legend though. :)

Thorir
28-10-06, 20:52
I think they both kind of suck and aren't very Tomb Raider-y - both are heavily flawed and without many redeeming features - though if I had to choose one over the other it would be AOD. It took another bad TR game to put AOD into perspective, and now I appreciate it more.

I quite agree! :)
Except I don´t think they suck. They are good games, but crap as a Tomb Raider game.

Laras Backpack
28-10-06, 20:53
IMHO AOD and Legend are equal. Both impressed me and dissappointed me for opposite reasons.

AOD had a good story line and many ambitious ideas. But in the end it's a little painful playing it because it's so easy to spot unfinished sections and the potential Core did not have the time to complete. It's a good idea badly executed as well as buggy with terrible controls.
As for Legend- it's a lovely looking game that has been finished to a high quality. However, it is a souless, empty, dumbed-down romp not to mention easy and uninspired with regards to level design. It's beauty but no brains.

As someone once said here:
AOD is a full game but only half finished and Legend is fully finished but only half a game.
:(

Mad Tony
28-10-06, 20:53
I don't think thats a fair question. I don't think its fair to have west and east either.

Just because people like Legend and AOD doesn't mean they don't like the classics or havent played them. I like AOD and I also like the classic.

I don't like legend though. :)
But it didn't really include people who like all of them, just people like me and Natla'd who hate AOD and Legend.
And people who just like Legend, or just like AOD or both.

StarCroft:AOD
28-10-06, 20:55
I love TR:AOD, I like TR:L, I don't like Barbie Lara, I love killing and making fun of her.

Mytly
28-10-06, 21:21
I have played almost all the TR games (currently playing TR1 for the first time). I don't think there has been a TR that I have hated - though I disliked certain bits of Chronicles a lot.
So I don't see what the great divide is about - why people who liked the classics hate Legend and/or AoD, or praise the merits of the classics in such a way that implies that the mere fact that Legend and AoD don't fall into this category means that they have to be bad.
For the record, I love Legend, and like AoD quite a lot. In my mind there's no comparison between the two, as they are both very different games, and explore completely different aspects of the Tomb Raider ethos.

Mad Tony
28-10-06, 21:25
But does anyone agree with me, that some where along the lines of 4-5-6, TR just lost that TR feel?

Natla'd
28-10-06, 21:28
But does anyone agree with me, that some where along the lines of 4-5-6, TR just lost that TR feel?

Yeah. I pinpointed it earlier: it was the loss of the mansion. No more, no less. ;)

Thorir
28-10-06, 21:30

After TR4, it did.
Mostly because of less TOMBS and a boring level design.
I want stunning, beautiful and lethal TOMBS, not running around in the Paris sewer. The tombs in Legend doesn´t count, you don´t need to have your eyes open to get through them.

Angelx14
28-10-06, 21:31
Never played TRL (I hope it will happen very soon), but I think it's a good game. Maybe not like the classic TR series, but it's still TR and it has a very good graphics ect. So that's why, I like them both.:)

Mad Tony
28-10-06, 21:33
Yeah. I pinpointed it earlier: it was the loss of the mansion. No more, no less. ;)
And the the inventory system change. ;)

Natla'd
28-10-06, 21:34
And the the inventory system change. ;)

And Lara's face! From pretty and placid to pug-ugly scowl.

Oh, and her hair grew by like, a quarter of an inch. TOTAL UN-TOMB RAIDER!!! :D

Mad Tony
28-10-06, 21:36
It was like, TR I, II and III couldn't get any better, an it's true, because a few years later, TR...down the drain.

viper456
28-10-06, 21:37
i like them all :) some more than others but they all have their own features which i like :)

Rickéh
28-10-06, 21:47
i like them all :) some more than others but they all have their own features which i like :)

Yup, i agree

Reggie
28-10-06, 21:59
I hate neither and I like both but given the option I'd choose TR:AOD. It had a better storyline and had it reached its true potential, it would have been truly amazing. I don't think the lack of a mansion/manor actually led to the loss of "that feeling" at all. Tomb Raider still has a lot to offer, it just depends on whether the brand will continue to be exploited by the likes of Eidos. I think the responsability lies as Eidos feet for demanding a TR game every year and Core could be partially to blame for yielding to such demands if from the beginning, each game was developed properly then the franchise wouldn't have ended up with its reputation for plugging and the games would have been of much better quality. There were most likely other causes but I think this was the root of it.

Catlantean
28-10-06, 22:06
I don't hate either. Both have some excellent sides (story and atmosphere for AOD, gameplay for Legend), as well as some pretty big flaws (AOD being a half-finished mess; Legend being overly simplified and not true to Lara's character). Good games, both...though AOD definitely had more potential to be an excellent game.

Ada the Mental
28-10-06, 22:20
IMHO AOD and Legend are equal. Both impressed me and dissappointed me for opposite reasons.

AOD had a good story line and many ambitious ideas. But in the end it's a little painful playing it because it's so easy to spot unfinished sections and the potential Core did not have the time to complete. It's a good idea badly executed as well as buggy with terrible controls.
As for Legend- it's a lovely looking game that has been finished to a high quality. However, it is a souless, empty, dumbed-down romp not to mention easy and uninspired with regards to level design. It's beauty but no brains.

As someone once said here:
AOD is a full game but only half finished and Legend is fully finished but only half a game.
:(
I agree.:vlol:TRL is a blond game.I like them all.Of course I like AoD better than legend,still it's nothing compared to the Classics.In my opinion AoD and Legend stand on their own rather as Tr games.

Mad Tony
28-10-06, 22:24
I agree.:vlol:TRL is a blond game.In my opinion AoD and Legend stand on their own rather as Tr games.
Couldn't agree more.
I like Legend I suppose, but not as a Tomb Raider game.
Just as a cheap, short action game to kill a few hours.

Ada the Mental
28-10-06, 22:55
Exactly.A fun game forVERY few hours.
I hope there's enough emphasis.:p

Rivendell
28-10-06, 23:56
I love the classics, I'm fond of Tr6, I thought legend was fun but I dislike it as a TR game :)

So you could say I don't hate any of them, I just dislike legend in a Tomb Raidery sense ;)