PDA

View Full Version : Copying CD's 'should be legal'

Neteru
29-10-06, 13:35
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41461000/jpg/_41461968_hmvdownload_pa.jpg

A think-tank has called for outdated copyright laws to be rewritten to take account of new ways people listen to music, watch films and read books.

The Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR) is calling for a "private right to copy". It would decriminalise millions of Britons who break the law each year by copying their CDs onto music players. Making copies of CDs and DVDs for personal use would have little impact on copyright holders, the IPPR argues. Copyright issues have, in the past, been steered too much by the music industry, the report said.

Public respect

IPPR deputy director Dr Ian Kearns said: "When it comes to protecting the interests of copyright holders, the emphasis the music industry has put on tackling illegal distribution and not prosecuting for personal copying, is right. "But it is not the music industry's job to decide what rights consumers have that is the job of government." According to research from the National Consumer Council, more than half of British consumers are infringing copyright law by copying CDs onto their computers, iPods or other MP3 players.

Report author Kay Withers said: "The idea of all-rights reserved doesn't make sense for the digital era and it doesn't make sense to have a law that everyone breaks. To give the IP regime legitimacy it must command public respect." Intellectual property laws are currently being reviewed by the government. Chancellor Gordon Brown has asked chairman Sir Andrew Gowers to report his findings back ahead of the pre-budget report in November. The IPPR is hoping to influence this with its report, entitled Public Innovation: Intellectual property in a digital age.

Its key recommendation is that any policy regarding Intellectual Property policy should recognise that knowledge is a public resource first and a private asset second.

Full story bbc.co.uk (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6095612.stm)

scion05
29-10-06, 13:46
thats my mp3!
well my biggen!

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41461000/jpg/_41461968_hmvdownload_pa.jpg

xMiSsCrOfTx
29-10-06, 14:00
That MP3 looks bigger than an 80GB video iPod :eek:

scion05
29-10-06, 14:08
laugh
its a 20gb mp3 :)

Trigger_happy
29-10-06, 15:43
i always thought that it was fine to copy Cds, as long as you didnt sell them.

Cochrane
29-10-06, 16:30
I completely agree with this suggestion. I bought the music, and I will play it on my iPod. The CD is just a backup for me. I see no reason why this should be illegal, as long as I don't give the MP3s I created to anyone else.

lita212
29-10-06, 23:57
I completely agree with this suggestion. I bought the music, and I will play it on my iPod. The CD is just a backup for me. I see no reason why this should be illegal, as long as I don't give the MP3s I created to anyone else.

yeh but as if that would ever work. you could sell a copy to someone without the police knowing it wouldnt work even if it was legal the same thing would happen eigther way where u have ppl now following the rules.

DREWY
30-10-06, 01:34
I may take the opposite tack here bands have contracts and thats how they get paid. If everyone downloads/copies their own, without paying somewhere down the line, there would be less money for contracts, therefore less bands and less choice. Being able to copy may be self defeating, no matter how appealing in the short term.
I know some people pay for there downloads. I have no real beef here, as you get the full cd you want and not an album of 2 or 3 songs, padded out with fillers. The main thing is that you pay somewhere.

mau3genius
30-10-06, 01:40
Copying music to a CD/mp3/whatever should be legal as far as it's only for use of the person who did it. Now, If we include the distribution of copies for financial benefit (or not) it IS illegal.

Captain Mazda
30-10-06, 01:50
Copying CDs is perfectly legal as long as the original disc is owned by you. It's just a wild assumption but it negates the "I only have the backup because the original broke" argument since backups are meant to preserve original discs. I'm all against this media frenzy surrounding piracy and whatnot. Sheer idiocy IMO. I'll download a song/game or two every now and then. None of this bothers me.

Ikas90
30-10-06, 01:50
Why should it be illegal. I made it, I won't sell it, no one should complain.

lita212
30-10-06, 03:07
if you buy the cd and then make a copy for yourself then thats fine. but at the end of the day bands etc and movie makers get the money back from fans who buy there stuff. it wouldnt be fair if ppl copied summit and was given them away to other ppl because then the creators of the cd etc dont get nadda.

spence
30-10-06, 04:02
It's all well and good if you can get something for nothing. BUT...

Piracy of copyrighted material is illegal.

Even though, IMO, record companies overcharge for CD's etc.
It is the artist who loses out in the long run.

I don't mind paying a normal/decent price for a CD, but here in Ireland there are high taxes on CD's:

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2004/03/05/story507586934.asp

I now use a legal Download site where I pay for any track/album that I wish to burn to CD (or whatever).

It's much cheaper than buying the CD here (in Ireland).

I dont buy music in shops/stores anymore.

I just buy the tracks I want online.

PirateRose
30-10-06, 04:13
I honestly thinks its stupid if they blame the drop in sales on Piracy. Music and Movies seriously suck nowadays. Maybe if they came out with stuff worth spending the cash on, people would buy it.

About a year ago I got a album and I've come to find that this album blows. Now I can't return it because they are worried that I pirated the music.

The album and its music sucks, why would I want to pirate it, give back my money you jerks.

spence
30-10-06, 04:27
PirateRose,

I agree with what you are saying. I have bought CD's based on one song heard on the radio and then found that the rest of the album sucked!!

At least with a good download site you can preview the tracks before you buy them.

Even better, you buy the tracks that you like, not the whole album.