PDA

View Full Version : Deep Voice

jjbennett
29-10-06, 14:49
I just recorded some songs for another forums competition and i have realised how high my voice is and im 17 :( .
Can people's voices deepen at my stage or am i stuck like this.

I also read (whether its true is another story) that if you over stress the vocal chords (screaming) you can deepen your voice from the scarring, is this true?

J.

xMiSsCrOfTx
29-10-06, 14:52
Screaming would probably damage your vocal chords, if anything. It wouldn't sound good; it would sound scratchy and unnatural. I'm not sure if your voice will deepen after age 17, because usually males are done with puberty by then. However, the way you hear your own voice is different from how others hear it, so you might just think it's really high when in reality, it isn't.

EDIT: I just read something on Wikipedia about males who take hormones if they're getting a sex change, how it will make their voices higher.. Maybe taking testosterone or something would deepen them?

Bonez
29-10-06, 14:53
I dunno if the screaming thing is true,

But a voice can take a while to deepen. It all happens at different times. :)

I heard that it can take years to settle down. :)

Trust In Trent
29-10-06, 14:57
As you grow older, your throat voice gets deeper. Why are you always straining to hit high notes. I never really try to go beyond what I can sing. It can affect you throat if you scream as well and there's a slim chance you could blow a blood vessel in your neck.

jjbennett
29-10-06, 15:11
As you grow older, your throat voice gets deeper. Why are you always straining to hit high notes. I never really try to go beyond what I can sing. It can affect you throat if you scream as well and there's a slim chance you could blow a blood vessel in your neck.
Im not straining to hit high notes, my voice is just high. I sometimes strain my voice as thats what a song requires but never to go high, just to sort of get that anguished feel to it.

J.

Trust In Trent
29-10-06, 15:14
you should never ever strain your throat no matter what the song is. If your not comfortable with it don't over do it. You'll screw up your voice if you go overboard.

I've just recently bought a book called singing for dummies (not saying that you are dumb). But there really insightful books I find.

tombraider123
29-10-06, 15:15
My voice has broken, however it's still fairly high. I just naturally have a high voice, which I have no problem with TBH :)

jjbennett
29-10-06, 15:17
The only real example of what i mean is from either layla live in hyde park or sunshine of your love acoustic from the disraeli gears classsic albums dvd (clapton for both) Whether they are on youtube is another thing.

Its just stupid how high it is when all my friends' are lower, some kids at my church who are 2 years younger have deeper voices :(.

J.

Draco
29-10-06, 15:20
I'm a Baritone...when I sing.

Night Crawler
29-10-06, 15:39
Are you gay? Don't mean to stereotype or cause offense but a lot of gay people end up stuck with their high voices.

jjbennett
30-10-06, 14:51
No way in hell mate. None taken, i know what you mean though. No no no the female body has enough wonderful complexities about it to worry about men.

J.

Rivendell
30-10-06, 15:11
About the screaming thing:

When my voice was breaking about 5 years ago, I could make my voice go high or low. Then I went on a particularly ****-scary rollercoaster, during which I didn't stop screaming.

After that, I couldn't really go high anymore :tmb:

Lavinder
30-10-06, 15:25
Low voices are usually very annoying and monotonous (sp?) so if you have a slightly high normal voice that would be fine :)

jjbennett
30-10-06, 15:28
Not for singing though, im not gonna get really annoyed if it stays the same. Theres not much i can do about it, its just singing is rather high.

J.

Lavinder
30-10-06, 15:30
Not for singing though, im not gonna get really annoyed if it stays the same. Theres not much i can do about it, its just singing is rather high.

J.

Then you could always lower your tone, :)

jarhead
30-10-06, 15:34
Then you could always lower your tone, :)

You sounded like a teacher then :D

Yer perhaps you could try speaking in a lower tone and hope it comes out lower, if not perhaps you were meant to have a higher voice

Neteru
30-10-06, 15:42
You are only 17 for goodness sake. Stop worrying. Your voice has in no way matured yet, and neither would it have done. All voices, male and female continue to get deeper as they get older, up to a certain point, and generally speaking.

If you want to broaden your range, practice scales.

BlackFlame
30-10-06, 15:46
If you want to broaden your range, practice scales.[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Or just settle for what you have....

be proud of your squeaky voice and join a Beegees tribute band..... (Or Rush)

Lavinder
30-10-06, 15:47
You sounded like a teacher then :D

:D Oh joy!

I have found that boys the age of 15-19 have a really deep croaky voice but then when they get past that age the voice smooths out in to a more enjoyable tone.

Or maybe i'm just imagining it :p

jarhead
30-10-06, 15:49
Bee Gees :vlol:

Oh god I doubt your voice is as high and squeeky as theirs,

Yer some college students at our school have girlfriends with lower voices, just wait and hopefully you'll have the perfect voice