PDA

View Full Version : Recurring themes in Doctor Who/Is Captain Jack a Time Lord?

Jacob x5
30-10-06, 00:02
Recurring themes in Doctor Who:

This (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recurring_themes_in_Doctor_Who) is an interesting article about recurring themes in Doctor Who. :) Note that it is a Wikipedia article, and whilst some of the ideas about what these recurring themes refer to are of a speculative nature, they do exist nonetheless.

Besides the recurring theme in series 2 of Doctor Who 'Torchwood', which appears several times throughout the series and is explained in the series finale and of course now has the spin-off series 'Torchwood' (it also appears once in the first series of Doctor Who), and besides the recurring theme in series 1 of Doctor Who 'Bad Wolf' which is explained in the series finale as being a link between Rose and the Doctor which was scattered across time and space by Rose so that she would be led back to the Bad Wolf Corporation to save the Doctor and Earth from impending doom (:D), there are a couple of other recurring themes which are mentioned in the Wikipedia article, namely the phrase "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry" and "The Lonely God". In the article it mentions that "The Lonely God" may be the main theme of series 3, which relates to the Doctor's loneliness. It also states that if the Face of Boe's message is "You are not alone" (which is quite possible since Russel T. Davies said that it was 4 words long, and there is some other evidence in the article), it might mean that the Doctor is not the only surviving Time Lord, which brings me nicely to my other matter. :p

Is Captain Jack a Time Lord?

This is all based on things that I myself have speculated, so don't get too excited. It would be cool, though. :p Those of you that have been watching Torchwood may have noticed a couple of things that Captain Jack has said that might be linked with his appearance at the end of the third series of Doctor Who and maybe indicate that he may be a Time Lord. :p When asked where he was from, Captain Jack paused and said "all sorts of places" in a "let's change the subject" manner. I thought this was worth noting because it is incredibly similar to the Ninth Doctor's response when Rose asked him the same question in the second episode of the first series, which was "all over the place", as though he wasn't interested in discussing it further. Also, in the new episode of Torchwood which was on a couple of hours ago (:p), Captain Jack said that he doesn't sleep. This seems like a big clue, because neither does the Doctor; Time Lords have no need for sleep!

What do you think? ;)

Shauni
30-10-06, 00:49
Hmm, really interesting! :D Though I'm not so sure about the Jack part, those kinds of phrases are mysterious and fits Jack's character as well as the Doctors. I'm not so sure if there is a link between the two. But still a very interesting theory nonetheless. ;)

Night Crawler
30-10-06, 09:45
Don't think so, Time Lords regenerate when they are killed, Capt. Jack was shot and killed in the first episode of Torchwood and he didn't regenerate.

Genocide
30-10-06, 13:30
Have any of you noticed that Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who?
i dont really watch either show (ssen a couple) but i wondered if anyone else noticed this

Jacob x5
30-10-06, 17:03
Don't think so, Time Lords regenerate when they are killed, Capt. Jack was shot and killed in the first episode of Torchwood and he didn't regenerate.

That's not true. Time Lords regenerate when their body becomes too damaged, so they get a new one. If a Time Lord gets to the point of death, he's dead. Captain Jack was killed by a dalek but brought back to life by Bad Wolf, and ever since then he can't die, so he hasn't got any reason to regenerate, if indeed he is a Time Lord.

I'm taking this way too seriously. :D

Mad Tony
30-10-06, 17:18
Interesting.
Could be, we'll probably find out what's going on when the next series of Doctor Who is out. :jmp:

Jacob x5
30-10-06, 21:21
Interesting.
Could be, we'll probably find out what's going on when the next series of Doctor Who is out. :jmp:

It would make for an amazing finale. :D

What we know for sure:

Captain Jack appears in the last part of the series and has a big part in the series finale.
The Face of Boe's message is given part way through the series, but ties in with the finale.
The third series finale is said to be more exciting and with even higher stakes than the previous two series'.