PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with high school kids today?

wantafanta
31-10-06, 02:13
I work with a kid in high school. His name is Ronnie and I think he's a senior. We were talking about crime and gunshots and he told me that his teacher was showing a video from the Viet Nam war. It was an execution. I have seen this video before and knew just what he was talking about. Anyways, it was a South Vietnamese officer holding a pistol to the head of a North Vietnamese insurgent. He was whincing with his eyes tightly closed and he look absolutely terrified. A second later, the officer pulled the trigger and the insurgent dropped to the ground instantly while a stream of blood spurted from the side of his head. It was an awful thing to witness, and it horrified the United States public at the time and turned our nation against the war.
But the kids in Ronnie's class laughed and thought it was funny and asked the teacher to run it again! I post this thread because there was absolutely nothing funny about the video. It was a brutal, sickening thing to see. I have no idea how an entire classroom could find anything funny in this. I don't think most school kids would find this funny. But I hope I'm not wrong. I didn't post this pic here, but you can look for it on your own if you search with keywords: Loan execution Viet nam.

Captain Mazda
31-10-06, 02:18
What's wrong with high school kids today?

You mean besides "everything"?

PARANOIA
31-10-06, 02:19
Such are the pains of a budding student like me who tries to separate himself from the status quo.

Captain Mazda
31-10-06, 02:20
Eddie Adams' photo of the execution won a Pulitzer Prize for The Associated Press. NBC also showed film of the execution. Adams said yesterday that Gen. Loan's actions were misinterpreted because of the picture. "The guy was a hero. America should be crying," said Adams, now a free-lance photographer. "I just hate to see him go this way, without people knowing anything about him." Adams said the man Loan shot had been seen killing others and that Loan was justified in executing him.

Christ, where the hell do these assholes spew out of? :vlol:

Camera Obscura
31-10-06, 02:20
Wow those kids must be insane. I saw the picture of that incident but I didn't find it funny. In most cases if students watch a "bloodfest" a majority of the class gasp or cover they're eyes, etc. But it sounds disturbing that a lot of kids would laugh at someone dying. :(

xMiSsCrOfTx
31-10-06, 02:21
I'm a senior in high school as well, and I've noticed very similar things with my peers in school. The example you brought up isn't funny at all, and it's sick how desensitized kids are these days to such horrific things. That's all it is - pure desensitization. Thinking that things with such an impact on someone or something else isn't that big of a deal at all. Can we blame it on movies? Sure. Games? Why not.

I could get into a whole long argument here about what's to blame for kids/adolescents behaving the way they do today, but it could take hours, and I'm tired. I'm only going to say that the root of the problem is the way these kids are brought up nowadays. Think back to stories your parents have told you about them growing up. Families were a lot closer back then, and everything was very different from how it is now. Most children nowadays have become literally detatched from family with everything else going on in their lives.

The way the kids behaved in your example is yet another reminder of how bad things can get and will continue to get because everyone's so desensitized to such things in today's society. It angers me so much, but I've already written enough, I think.

Ikas90
31-10-06, 02:21
I really feel sorry for them. They are the kind of guys that become criminals when they grow up.

I respect you for considering that as "not funny", there are a lot of immature people out there nowadays. I just call them "normal". There are two kinds of people in my dictionary: They are "The Normal" and "The Intelligent".

DREWY
31-10-06, 02:22
They have been desensitised to a degree. Kids see more at an earlier age than those before them. Plus news is more graphic than it used to be, not to mention I'll bet every one of those kids has 'killed' many times on different video games. Also don't discount bravado, one laughs they all feel they have to. Also known as peer pressure.

Hypnosos
31-10-06, 02:33
I bet one of "the cool kids" started laughing, and then the rest of the group followed. They're sheeps. Monkey see, monkey do. They didn't really think it was funny, they were just trying to show how cool they are by laughing when someone gets executed.

2kool4u
NOO! ITS called nervous laughter!!! Its like when you have nothing else to say. You get nervous so you begin to gigle. Like lets say you see someoneget hit by a car you imediatly go to help them and you start to gigle because you dont know what else to do. It happenes! Its the brains stimuli. (sorry on spelling.) lol its the brains reaction to nervous situations! lol-see

2kool4u
NOO! ITS called nervous laughter!!! Its like when you have nothing else to say. You get nervous so you begin to gigle. Like lets say you see someoneget hit by a car you imediatly go to help them and you start to gigle because you dont know what else to do. It happenes! Its the brains stimuli. (sorry on spelling.) lol its the brains reaction to nervous situations! lol-see

2kool4u
31-10-06, 02:35
^ srry bout that! btw im a sophmore.

PARANOIA
31-10-06, 02:36
That's why they said "Hey, let's see it again!"?

Lenochka
31-10-06, 02:37
Same thing happend in my class last year... These 3 kids were laughing when this woman was shot to death in shindler's List. I really Dispise people like that.

2kool4u
31-10-06, 02:38
That's why they said "Hey, let's see it again!"?
o0o i forgot about that! then he is a real :cen: :cen: a:cen: hole

PARANOIA
31-10-06, 02:40
Once, I was watching K-19 (Widowmaker), a dramatized movie about a Russian nuclear submarine. The movie was quite touching to me when I first saw it, and when I saw it in school, I was hoping some of the other kids thought the same way. The same effect didn't seem to come across.

When I was young, I always thought that high school students knew more than middle or elementary school students.

World History class was pretty much the only time I had intelligent debate... and that was with me and four other students in a twenty-student class. Occasionally four more came into the discussion, the other twelve either shut up, or made sarcastic jabs and quips every time that someone tried to make a point. When all that wasn't happening, I would listen to talk radio to and from school. I wish that students would listen to some decent music or radio programming rather than the gangster rap that's polluting the airwaves nowadays.

Shark_Blade
31-10-06, 03:23
Once we watched a soldier executing a villager by cutting his head with a blade. At first I taught it was movie edit but then the rest of his neck leaves his body we were all in shock :yik:. those heartless psychos!

2kool4u
31-10-06, 03:47
Once we watched a soldier executing a villager by cutting his head with a blade. At first I taught it was movie edit but then the rest of his neck leaves his body we were all in shock :yik:. those heartless psychos!
OMG I HAVE THAT VID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tombcool
31-10-06, 03:56
Well, the biggest problems in my school today is the EMO group, which is composed of mostly the entire school liking the same genre of music -- EMO.

2kool4u
31-10-06, 04:00
honestly now wtf is EMO some jackazz started sayin EMO is cool you get to cut yourself. I was liike wtf is wrong with you but instead i said. You are the biggest dumb ass on the earth. DOnt make God regret making you. Why would you say something stupid like that? He shut up and the teacher laughed and said thank you.

Captain Mazda
31-10-06, 04:00
I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself.

2kool4u
31-10-06, 04:06
OMG!!! I CANT STOP LAUGHING!!!:vlol: :vlol: :vlol: :vlol: :vlol: :vlol: :vlol: :vlol:

Elysia
31-10-06, 07:50
I get this a lot. You show the kids something genuinely touching / serious, and they laugh (unless it's Leonardo Di Caprio drowning or something. Then it's sad and they want tissues...). I think a lot of it is because they simply don't think it's real - they think it's a staged event just for them. In my experience, most teenagers seem to think that other people are made of rubber - they have no feelings, no emotions - they are just verbal punch bags, there to either be yelled at, laughed at, or in the case of most teachers, completely ignored.

A few weeks ago, I had an incident in my class. I had to call Senior Team to get a girl removed form my classroom for refusing to work, being rude to me and disrupting the others. When I returned (I went into the office next door to make the phone call - 2 mins max), they were having a full-scale argument. Half the class had turned on one of the other girls (at the disrupters instigation - they don't dare defy her, because she is also a dreadful bully and they're scared of her) for basically no reason at all, making her cry. I was absolutely shocked and dismayed, and tried to calm the situation down, but there was no way the instigator was going to let that happen. Luckily, Senior Team arrived and removed her, but my whole lesson was ruined. I felt so bad for those girls who work hard and want to do well that I apologised to them for not being able to do what they should be able to do, which is get on with their work and try their hardest to get decent grades at GCSE.

I tried to re-start the lesson, but the disrupter's friends decided that I was 'well out of order' for apologising to the class, and that I was 'picking on their friend' by doing so - I couldn't believe it. In the end, they were so foul to me that I admit, I ended up getting upset about it (not bawling, just that horrible 'tight throated, if I say anything I don't think I'll be ale to hold it together' feeling). It was right at the end of the lesson and I'd just had enough, so I just shut up and started to clean the board. When the rest of the class saw that I was upset, they were absolutely shocked to the core... a teacher? Upset? But... but... teachers don't have feelings... They couldn't understand on any level why I was upset. Which, I think, is a bit sad, because it highlights a complete lack of empathy for others on any level. And I know I'm not alone - seeing teachers upset in the staffroom is sadly a common event nowadays.

Lone Raider
31-10-06, 08:13
kids are brutalised. Fullstop. We all know it and we've let it happen. Remember hippies? No heros, love and peace and all that? Well it got ridiculed and hippies, in most people's eyes, nowadays are losers, and drugaddicts. Well I think it was more about being peaceful and tolerant than anything else, and I think it would do the world good if people started remembering what was going on before mobile phones and pcs and video games took over this planet.

2kool4u
31-10-06, 08:16
no what kids need is a good azz whipin aka a can of whoop azzz. no lie it works i know!

PARANOIA
31-10-06, 11:53
Sorry, Lone. Hippies are not the answer. Most of the kids I know in school, if they hold a political position, are as far left as you can get, so it's got nothing to do with politics.

no what kids need is a good azz whipin aka a can of whoop azzz. no lie it works i know!

Transcribed, they do need to bring back the old teaching system. Teachers have no power nowadays. If students get across that the teacher can punish them phsyically, they'll sit down and study.

PARANOIA
31-10-06, 11:55
honestly now wtf is EMO some jackazz started sayin EMO is cool you get to cut yourself. I was liike wtf is wrong with you but instead i said. You are the biggest dumb ass on the earth. DOnt make God regret making you. Why would you say something stupid like that? He shut up and the teacher laughed and said thank you.

This is an example of a common high school student at work.

Janny
31-10-06, 12:08
That was so funny!! Thanks for brightning up my day!

The prob with highschool kids? They think themselves independent and cool and great. They believe nothing can impress them. That's not true at all as I've noticed.
Don't know what the heck those kids were thinking. I cry watching the news, I think I'd fainted if I saw that vid.

Satu
31-10-06, 12:29

That is easier said than done. Where I come from if a teacher or a parent whoops their kids then they can be charged by the police.

But back to the topic at hand...I saw this footage years ago and I still remember it vividly, quite horrible. Kids these days are desensitised with what is being shown on through the media, movies games etc. With them laughing shows that they are detached from reality because I think that if they truely belived the actual horror they witnessed they probably woudn't have laughed (i hope). And it goes back to peer pressure too...one laughs and the others follow. It's actuallly quite sad.

2kool4u
31-10-06, 14:58
That is easier said than done. Where I come from if a teacher or a parent whoops their kids then they can be charged by the police.

But back to the topic at hand...I saw this footage years ago and I still remember it vividly, quite horrible. Kids these days are desensitised with what is being shown on through the media, movies games etc. With them laughing shows that they are detached from reality because I think that if they truely belived the actual horror they witnessed they probably woudn't have laughed (i hope). And it goes back to peer pressure too...one laughs and the others follow. It's actuallly quite sad.
As much as i hated it. I really do apreciate it for the young man i am today. It works but you cant just od. on it.

rika2
31-10-06, 17:14
I work with a kid in high school. His name is Ronnie and I think he's a senior. We were talking about crime and gunshots and he told me that his teacher was showing a video from the Viet Nam war. It was an execution. I have seen this video before and knew just what he was talking about. Anyways, it was a South Vietnamese officer holding a pistol to the head of a North Vietnamese insurgent. He was whincing with his eyes tightly closed and he look absolutely terrified. A second later, the officer pulled the trigger and the insurgent dropped to the ground instantly while a stream of blood spurted from the side of his head. It was an awful thing to witness, and it horrified the United States public at the time and turned our nation against the war.
But the kids in Ronnie's class laughed and thought it was funny and asked the teacher to run it again! I post this thread because there was absolutely nothing funny about the video. It was a brutal, sickening thing to see. I have no idea how an entire classroom could find anything funny in this. I don't think most school kids would find this funny. But I hope I'm not wrong. I didn't post this pic here, but you can look for it on your own if you search with keywords: Loan execution Viet nam.

I'd probably laugh too if I didn't know it was real...

Draco
31-10-06, 18:51
If we are lucky, the world will end soon.

Anubis_AF
31-10-06, 18:57
Amen to that Draco.

rika2
31-10-06, 19:18
If we are lucky, the world will end soon.

yup... it won't take long believe me...

PARANOIA
31-10-06, 22:19
yup... it won't take long believe me...

And what are you implying?

VonCroy360
31-10-06, 23:02
OMG, is it really that bad in the US?
In our class I don't think there is anyone who would laugh, and we often hear that the US society and kids are much worse but I never really believed it... but now... huh... :(

PARANOIA
31-10-06, 23:16
The United States isn't necessarily best-known for its public education system...

Maybe it is, but not in the perspective that we would consider "top-notch."

Draco
01-11-06, 01:05
I've seen some pretty ****ed up stuff from places that are not in the US.

Skipperdoo
01-11-06, 03:58
Wow that's pretty bad but I believe it. Just got out of high school myself. I don't think I could stand to watch that.

Trigger_happy
01-11-06, 16:47
in the Uk it doesnt seem lie that at all. We watched a video in history we watched a video about the nazis killing off Jewish people and the whole class just sat and watched it in silence. We were shocked that people could be so evil.

Captain Mazda
01-11-06, 22:34
in the Uk it doesnt seem lie that at all. We watched a video in history we watched a video about the nazis killing off Jewish people and the whole class just sat and watched it in silence. We were shocked that people could be so evil.

You wouldn't be allowed to laugh at that. However, show footage of Meklava tanks rolling on Palestinian kids and the laughs will be endless.