PDA

View Full Version : The Art of the Handshake

Catapharact
01-11-06, 22:15
Influence: The Art of the Handshake. (http://men.msn.com/articlees.aspx?cp-documentid=1084857)

I think this little quote just says it all:

A perfunctory gesture? Hardly. It defines you. It defines the exchange. A hands-on study of a subtle craft.

Geck-o-Lizard
01-11-06, 22:59
I hate shaking hands, lol. On the rare occasions when my hand isn't soaking with sweat, the other person's is... >_>

Mr.Burns
01-11-06, 23:00
Good article and very true. It's quite annoying how many people don't know how to give a proper handshake. I hate the one's that grip to hard like they're trying to crush your hands or the ones where all they get are your fingers because their too damned fast. Thanks for posting Cat.

Catapharact
01-11-06, 23:09
You're welcome.

You would be surprised as to how important it is as a first impression. Some company representitives actually work out and practice to try getting the perfect grip Lol!

Its all taken differently cross culture. I personally love the Middle Eastern meet and greet :D. Its ALWAYS lively Lol!

Dingaling
01-11-06, 23:12
One of the more enjoyable articles I've read that you've posted Cat. For some funny reason the past few weeks I've been working on my handshake so it's funny that you actually posted that article :).

Mr.Burns
01-11-06, 23:18
You're welcome.

You would be surprised as to how important it is as a first impression. Some company representitives actually work out and practice to try getting the perfect grip Lol!

Its all taken differently cross culture. I personally love the Middle Eastern meet and greet :D. Its ALWAYS lively Lol!

Not surprised at all;) My entire family is in business, so proper business etiquette is second nature to me. Now, please forgive me but, what is the Middle Eastern style meet and greet?

Neteru
02-11-06, 01:38
Oh handshaking. The prime gesture of social lie of the human race. I detest handshaking with a venom, and will go out of my way to avoid such a false charade. Meeting someone for me does not mean I am automatically their friend, far from it in fact, so the last thing I want to do is to share an intimate contact. In my book, a nod of acknowledgement accompanied by a straight look right in the eye is enough.

BoyTRaider
02-11-06, 01:49
Not to count the germs you can get. :p

Hehe, I don't mind shaking other people's hands as long as they share a sense of formality.

PARANOIA
02-11-06, 02:26
Oh handshaking. The prime gesture of social lie of the human race.

Works pretty darn well, IMO. Big businesses were made from handshakes. ;)

Neteru
02-11-06, 02:29
Sure it does, for those who are happy to fake it.

Catapharact
02-11-06, 02:34
what is the Middle Eastern style meet and greet?

Big handshake followed by a quick embrace :). Think Italian, but Arabic Lol!

Sure it does, for those who are happy to fake it.

Net... Fake it till ya make it. As much as analysts will giva a heap load of reasons as to why decisions should be made upon data and page load of numbers, most decisions are made instinctively. Therefore, one should know how to throw an "acceptable" first impression.

PARANOIA
02-11-06, 02:41
Exactly, you wouldn't go up front and say, "Hello. I'm uncertain as to whether or not we'll be successful. I'm not sure if I trust you, either. In fact, you may not even trust me." Sometimes you don't want to hear the truth. Sometimes you'd rather hear comfort language, both from the body and from the mouth.