PDA

View Full Version : iPod or PSP?

Lara Lover
02-11-06, 15:00
I've got to pick one very soon for Christmas. :) Excitied, eh? Lol. So, I'm not too sure whether to get a PSP or iPod? I've got loads of videos and music and I'm not a big gamer. Just the odd game here and there. I've got well over 10GB's of music so, I need somewhere to hold that. Which one would you pick and your reasons why? ;)

RAID
02-11-06, 15:15
Since you're not such a gamer and have 10GB of music, begging to be stored, get the iPod.

Thorir
02-11-06, 15:17
I would pick an iPod. There aren´t really any great games out for PSP, at least none that I´m interested in... But an iPod can be used for music, and you can listen to music anywhere, every day. :)

Rickéh
02-11-06, 15:26
I would pick an iPod. There aren´t really any great games out for PSP, at least none that I´m interested in... But an iPod can be used for music, and you can listen to music anywhere, every day. :)

Yup! :D

jarhead
02-11-06, 15:37
Yer Ipod, you've got music, you might aswell store it so you can listen to it whenever

Lara Lover
02-11-06, 15:39
OK. I've decided on the MP3. But which one?

Microsoft Zune/Apple iPod/Creative Vision M?

Cochrane
02-11-06, 16:00
I'd say iPod (look at my avatar). iPod is the standard, has (in my opinion) the best design both for hardware and software, and connects to the largest online music store. It is also important to notice that there is an entire industry dedicated only to creating add-ons for iPods, so if you look for bags, FM transmitters, car integration, stereo integration or whatever, you'll be able to find lots of dedicated solutions for an iPod, but only generic MP3 stuff that just provides a headphone jack for everything else.

There are only two good reasons not to use an iPod that I know of. The one is that everybody has one now, which is certainly true. That doesn't make it less desirable for me, since the features I bought it for were software, hardware and design, not exclusivity, but you might see this differently. The other reason is battery life. This issue is always exaggerated by those hating iPods, but still, it actually exists. In my family, only my mother has experienced major problems with iPod battery life, and we have many iPods around here. I would not say that the risk that yours breaks is any higher for the iPod than for any other system.

As for the others:

Microsoft Zune: It looks interesting, but not interesting enough for me. The main new feature it has is wifi music sharing, something I never ever wanted to do, but which might be a strong point. Or not. We'll never know until well after the Zune has launched. I would like to add that I am no big fan of Microsoft Software.

Creative Vision M: No damn clue what this even is. I know I hate the name (Vision M? Is it the larger version of the Vision L, or the smaller of the Vision N? Or is it the one for Music?), but I really couldn't tell you whether you should buy one or not.

Lenochka
02-11-06, 16:06
iPod :tmb:
You mentioned not being a big gamer... And then mentioned your more music oriented. So i would pick the iPod

Plus PSP dosn't have many good games on it... only a few good ones here or there ( only good ones i have seen are " TR:L " and " Loco Roco " )

Lara Lover
02-11-06, 16:11
I'm not a big fan of Apple. Lol. I'm not too keen on Mac's. I'm not a big fan of iTunes either. :whi: Even though I use it to store all my music. ;)

I don't really know. Everyone has the iPod and iPod looks the best value. It's got great accessories and crap. I'll be getting the 30GB's version of either or. Zune or iPod? The Zune has really cool features though. Hmmm. I just don't know.

Cochrane, Could you post a pic of your iPod? Which one is it? How long have you had it for? Has it got scraps? I just want to see the condition it's in. :)

scion05
02-11-06, 16:27
Id pick Zune...
iTunes and iPod arent exactly what id call good quality...

Mona Sax
02-11-06, 16:49
Creative. I have one and I'm happy so far, no problems at all. I wouldn't buy an iPod because:

- Everybody has one.
- They break easily (especially the display).
- White sucks.
- The battery life is very short.
- Who needs accessories?
- Apple. They're just as greedy as Microsoft, just look at iTunes' restrictive DRM policy.
- Did I mention that everybody has one? Show some style, be different.

scion05
02-11-06, 16:55
yes the battery life is AWFUL

Tomb Raider Master
02-11-06, 17:23
Get iPod, Kyle. :)

Lara Croft!
02-11-06, 17:47
iPOD!!!!

Id pick Zune...
iTunes and iPod arent exactly what id call good quality...

Whaaaat?????Not good quality?What makes u say that?

da tomb raider!
02-11-06, 17:52
If you like games, get a PSP. If you like music, get an iPod. Well, that's my advise, anyway. :)

Cochrane
02-11-06, 18:11
First of all, I agree with da tomb raider!, but since you already wrote that you'll get an MP3 player, I'll focus on the iPod now.

Now here the image of my iPods:
http://www.ferroequinologist.de/forums/ipods.jpg

From left to right:
Second Generation 10 GB
My very first iPod, from the time when iPods came only in white and in seperate packages for PC and Mac, and had no dock connector yet (only Firewire) and iPods were something exclusive. I don't use it anymore because my newer ones are much better, but it still works fine. Notice that it fell down on several occasions without even stopping to play. What you won't see on this crappy image (sorry) is that it has some slight scratches all around after four years of use. From most angles, they are invisible, but if you look hard, they are there.

Second Generation iPod mini (4GB)
Oddly enough, it never managed to get a scratch, even though I used it alot (on-the-go-playlists are cool). It's got I think two years now. Again, fell down on several occasions without stopping playback.

Fifth Generation iPod (video) 60 GB
In black, since Mona is right when she says that white sucks. The one I use the most at the moment (you can see a fingerprint of mine on the photo). The screen has no scratches, but the silver back has a lot of them (just like my first iPod). Believe me, the display doesn't scratch easily at all, but the back does.

What shall I say? I had no problems with the battery or quality ever (though my mother had with one of her's), they survive bad drops easily.

As for addons: My largest iPod addon:
http://www.ferroequinologist.de/forums/alfafront.jpg
Well, you might say that it's actually the module connecting the iPod to the car radio that's the addon, but with the years the difference in value between my car and a new iPod decreases rapidly. What I want to say with this: Everyone who listens to music not just with earplugs all the time might need addons, and the ones for iPods are the best. I can also recommend the various portable sound systems for iPods.

Apple's DRM being as restrictive as Microsoft's is not a good argument for buying from someone who uses Microsoft's DRM. I prefer Apple as a company any day because they actually make better products.

One last thing: I would recommend that you go to a shop and try out the user interfaces of the various players. It's the small things that make the difference, and I think Apple has the best user interface.

Tombreaper
02-11-06, 18:21
I agree with Mona Sax here. And don't waste your money.
If you like listen your music MP3 format, there are ways cheaper models, and more reliable.
If you like like high-end gadgets with high quality video playback, and good games, buy a PSP, this little machine far outclasses an iPod in many ways.

Titanium
02-11-06, 18:21
Well it depends if you got your 10GB of music from Itunes, Apple do not allow MP3's from other sites onto there Ipods. If you didnt then go for another MP3 player.

Lew
02-11-06, 18:24
iPod don't buy a crappy MP3 people look like right retard with black earphones now instead of white hehe. I have a 30GB Video iPod and its great, i take it too school everyday even when its PE :P
And don't buy anything Sony makes ever again, Look at the PS3 its crap! and been held back to march so get an iPod. :)

Oh yeah and do not get a Zune! there horrible iPods are so much better well, Apple are better than Microsoft so.... Go Apple!

Cochrane
02-11-06, 18:27
Well it depends if you got your music from Itunes, Apple do not allow MP3's from other sites onto there Ipods. If you didnt then go for another MP3 player.
That statement is crap. Apple allows all unprotected MP3s to go on iPods. iPods just won't play any music that has DRM from any site other than iTunes. And by the way, Apple doesn't forbid those files either, iPods just can't play them.

Tombreaper: Define more reliable. I know there are many reports about broken iPods on the web, but if you take into account that there are many more iPods than other players, I would not say that iPods are less reliable than other players.

By the way: The capitals are important. It's iPod, not Ipod. I know some people who'll say "I won't let Apple dictate how I write!", and they certainly have the right to spell however they want. But the end result still doesn't look like making a point or rebelling against Apple's strange spelling, it just looks like you don't even know how the product is written correctly, which consequently looks like you are not qualified enough to write about whether to buy it, even when you are.

Titanium
02-11-06, 18:30
That statement is crap. Apple allows all unprotected MP3s to go on iPods. iPods just won't play any music that has DRM from any site other than iTunes. And by the way, Apple doesn't forbid those files either, iPods just can't play them.

He's right you know :p

I accidently misread the page I was checking to make sure, it said it requires Itunes and I assumed you couldnt convert music to Itunes. So my mistake :o

Edit: Geez okay its an iPod, sorry my typing error offended you.

Mona Sax
02-11-06, 18:41
Apple's DRM being as restrictive as Microsoft's is not a good argument for buying from someone who uses Microsoft's DRM.
I don't use anybody's DRM - all my MP3 files are unprotected because they're ripped from CDs using Musicmatch Jukebox and AnyDVD. I don't buy MP3s online, I'd never let a company tell me when/how often/on what machine I can listen to the music I bought (or whether I can or cannot copy it for my own use).

Apple forcing you to buy your MP3s on iTunes (instead of other online shops) is unacceptable IMO. Legal, but unacceptable.

Cochrane
02-11-06, 18:50
How do the aspects that you never buy your music online anyway and that Apple restricting you where you can buy it match? If you don't use anybody's DRM, how does it matter that you can't use anybody's DRM on iPods?

I agree that Apple's restrictive DRM is not nice, but if you are completely against this, I don't know whether Creative is really the better way to go.

Mona Sax
02-11-06, 18:52
Not for me, personally, but for all the people who have iPods and do buy their music online. I hate greed.

Legends
02-11-06, 19:54
iPod! :wve:

Lew
02-11-06, 20:19
I like your Avatar Legends :)

And by the way its iTunes and iPod and iMac get it right! it annoys me when people don't.

Why would you want to get a zune? Its not exactly stylish or that people can tell you have a 'Zune' just by the earphones.

xMiSsCrOfTx
02-11-06, 20:46
Personally, I'd choose an iPod, only because I know I'd get way more use out of it. I'd suggest you get an iPod too. You only really have to pay for the iPod and you're set (unless you buy music too, off iTunes or whatever). With PSP, you're going to have to buy games for it and all that stuff.

ILG49ers
02-11-06, 23:53
I would get an iPod if I were you. ;)

BoyTRaider
03-11-06, 00:58
Both have each own's advantages... The iPod is great for holding a large amount of videos and movie. A 40GB one is that expensive anymore. The PSP in the other is great within its own values, such as playing DVDs and Games, while also being able to download music. Since you said you're not that much of a gamer, iPod might be the best choice. :)

SpongeBob Lover
03-11-06, 01:38
id get a psp if i was you :D i get tired of i-pods cause they hurt my ear :D

Legend of Lara
03-11-06, 12:18
PSP! They can store music, movies, photos AND games! Also, Red hot Rumble is good enough reason to get a PSP. :D

Mad Tony
03-11-06, 12:20
PSP! They can store music, movies, photos AND games! Also, Red hot Rumble is good enough reason to get a PSP. :D
Is it me, or did you only say that because you're a Sony fanboy? :p

Cochrane
03-11-06, 15:00
Adding to my post about my iPods because I forgot it: Battery life is different, but not a problem. My first iPod will play about 6-8 hours after completely loading it. The mini has less, I'd say 4-5 hours on a good day. As for the newest one, I honestly do not know yet. Since I no longer use it in school, I have not had a chance yet to bring it to it's limits, but it feels like it isn't any worse than my first one at least.

Lew
03-11-06, 16:21
My iPod has lasted a week and I listen to it everyday. Get an 80 GB one :P