PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here use eBay?

Greenkey2
05-11-06, 14:45
If you have used eBay, what have your experiences been like?

Have you been a buyer, a seller or both? Have you ever picked up any real bargains? :D

I buy and sell on eBay regularly (wrapping items that have just sold as I type this!). Recently it's been my main source of bits for the Lara Croft outfit I've been putting together for Children in Need week coming up soon :cln: :tmb:

Long live eBay! (and PayPal too - it's a godsend ;))

Kamrusepas
05-11-06, 14:46
I use a Finnish online auction site, I've bought a lot of clothes there. Never used eBay though, and I don't think I will as long as I can use Huuto.Net :tmb:

Celephais
05-11-06, 14:50
Yes I use ebay frequently. Initially just as a buyer, buying stuff like CDs and games. My most unusual purchase on ebay was probably an antique Edwardian shaving mug ( I like Edwardian antiques, for the record :)) But recently I've got round to selling some old books, CDS etc. Unfortunately for my first seven or so sells I had entered an outdated e mail address in my Paypal account, so none of the payments went though, meaning I lost money.Grrrr. Lesson learned!

Lara Lover
05-11-06, 14:50
I use eBay! :tmb: It's an awesome site to get collectibles really cheap. ;)

da tomb raider!
05-11-06, 15:00
Rarely, but sometimes it's the only way to go to buy things which you can't buy in shops. :)

Trigger_happy
05-11-06, 15:02
i love ebay- ive used it to get hard to find games and Cds- ive got at leasts 4 things for under 3 quid!

Thorir
05-11-06, 15:03
I use Ebay all the time! I love it!
I´m only a buyer. It saves me thousands of NOK every year (several hundred punds).

I buy designer clothes, second hand clothes, DVDs, games, music... Art and collectables. :)

My best buy would be a high quality katana, it cost about $180. I found the same for about $450 at a Norwegian online shop. :D

I bought a bloody GORGEOUS wedding kimono too. Love it, love it!

Celephais
05-11-06, 15:04
i love ebay- ive used it to get hard to find games and Cds- ive got at leasts 4 things for under 3 quid!

Without wanting to veer too much off topic, I also buy and sell used things on Amazon and I once bought a game, new and sealed, for 1p.

Mad Tony
05-11-06, 15:23
Without wanting to veer too much off topic, I also buy and sell used things on Amazon and I once bought a game, new and sealed, for 1p.
Yeah, I did that with Sim City on Ebay.
The original Sim City, new and sealed for 1p.

jarhead
05-11-06, 15:32
Ebay is BRILLIANT

I used to get my mum to buy me loads of little rare collectables in the hope they will be worth millions later on in life :D

And Ebay wouldnt be the same without paypal :tmb:

According to my mum, the best bargain shes got is a rare art nuveau handle

Rickéh
05-11-06, 15:38
Sometimes, but not always. i dont trust that sort of things XD

Hybrid Soldier
05-11-06, 16:22
:wve:

I do. Mostly to buy stuff to get good deals rather than going out and buying something that i can get cheaper on Ebay.

Nephili
05-11-06, 16:24
I used to use eBay, but I stopped because I got majorly addicted to it lol!

But it is an amazing place to get fantastic bargains!

jamieoliver22
05-11-06, 16:42
I'm never off it.. :D

I always buy stuff from it, but never actually sold anything.

Jamie.

tampi
05-11-06, 16:45
No, never :o

Scottlee
05-11-06, 17:01
I just registered to Ebay a few weeks ago. So far I've got a perfect 2/2-100% transaction record, which is important to try and keep.

Thorir
05-11-06, 17:04
I just registered to Ebay a few weeks ago. So far I've got a perfect 2/2-100% transaction record, which is important to try and keep.

Indeed. Mine is 68 now and 100%.
Kinda annoying not everyone leaves feedback.

Pipolinne
05-11-06, 18:05
I used e-bay once: let us say I got this fever and decided a cover of a magazine was worth 60 euros. Fortunately, this japanese girl won the auction...but gave up the purchase!The seller contacted me,but it was too late:I had already recovered my rationality:D !

::PJB::
05-11-06, 18:19
I use eBay all the time! :)

Geck-o-Lizard
05-11-06, 18:23
Never. I once got my friend to buy me a couple of CD's off it since I don't have a clue how it all works, but only one of the CD's got sent. The guy selling the CD that vanished, said he was too busy to send it within a month. End of my eBay dabbling.

Angelx14
05-11-06, 18:30
I've heard ppl saying it's good, so I could try it too... when I will own a credit card XD

Rivendell
05-11-06, 18:35
Yep, I love ebay. Fantastic bargains to be got on there!

I think my best buy was a Gamecube, 2 controllers, 2 memory cards, 4 games - all in working order for £75 :D

It's one of those money-bane places though, where you buy, buy buy buy buy and buy. :( ... :D

rika2
05-11-06, 18:57
I heard eBay is banning black metal due to some christian organization... so eBay is gay

viper456
05-11-06, 18:58
i use it yeah :) but i prefer not to because its addictive and i waste money lol

Dingaling
05-11-06, 19:00
so eBay is gay

It's an internet auction site, last time I checked websites didn't have a sexuality. :p.

As for eBay, with it's miraculous new sexuality, it's great. It's where I go (and get my mum) to buy Xena and Tomb Raider stuff, christmas presents, DVDs and video games. :D.

Greenkey2
05-11-06, 20:34
I heard eBay is banning black metal due to some christian organization... so eBay is gay
Nope, don't understand that one :confused:

Sometimes I think eBay is keeping the postal system going :D. Yesterday I went to my local post office with some eBay items to send, and the guy behind me and the woman in front were both also laid down with eBay parcels.

It's amazing the look of mutual understanding you get when you glance across at such people and say "eBay?".

2kool4u
05-11-06, 20:36
AMEN WHOOT EBAY ROCKS!! Listen everyone soon i will be selling 2 tmx top secret tickle me elmos!! lol im serious!!! just bouught them umm last week.

DragonDan
05-11-06, 21:49
***My best buy would be a high quality katana, ***

I bought a bloody GORGEOUS wedding kimono too. ***
Hmmm, Thorir, now that's a lethal combination......:D

I've used eBay for several years. Mostly to buy stuff, but I have sold some stuff too. I have had only a couple bad experiences, the worst one was over a $6.00 guitar pick. So, no big deal.

Anubis_AF
05-11-06, 21:51

What does that mean?
I never use eBay, not a fan *meh*

jamieoliver22
05-11-06, 21:56
What does that mean?

When you use eBay, every time you make a transaction with someone, they can leave feedback about you (and vise-versa). The higher your feedback rating, the better the seller/buyer because it shows that previous transactions have been sucessful and trustworthly. Get what I mean?

If you want more info, look here: http://www.news.iwantcollectibles.com/ebay-feedback.shtml

Jamie.

Thorir
05-11-06, 22:00
What does that mean?

As Jamie said. :)
Generally you can trust people with 100% customer satisfaction. They won´t steal your money and not post your item. And a seller can be sure a 100% buyer will pay the money.

I´d be more reluctant to buy something from a guy who has 56%...

And yes, Dan. :D
You can buy lots of great Japanese stuff there. I have several kimono. :)

taika
05-11-06, 22:03
yep I use eBay, sometimes at least... I have bought about 10 things off there so not much, I have never sold anything though...

Anubis_AF
05-11-06, 22:05
Thanks for the link :tmb:

Lew
05-11-06, 22:10
My Dad and Mum won't use ebay or buy anything over the internet :@ Its annoying especially when your trying to be legal.

Ikas90
06-11-06, 02:54
I like ebay, because it has good bargains. I check stuff out there regularly.

Spitfire
06-11-06, 03:07
All the horror stories and burnt products being sold as actual software and movies has kept me from even giving it a go. I'm fine with amazon.com

Tombcool
06-11-06, 03:23
Actually, I need help guys with eBay! I just got my account started and bought something. How do I know when the seller has sent the item?

I sent a message telling him I bought the item and my shipping address, he still hasn't messaged me back.

Celephais
06-11-06, 07:42
How do I know when the seller has sent the item?

I sent a message telling him I bought the item and my shipping address, he still hasn't messaged me back.

As far as I know there is no way to know when a seller has dispatched the item, although a good seller will usually send a note saying they've dispatched. it's all down to trust I'm afraid. Personally I've bought over 50 items on ebay and they've all gone very smoothly, with all sellers delivering promptly. If you haven't received the item in about 2 weeks, then leaving negative feedback for the seller might be the option to take. The feedback system is there to discourage dishonest sellers, as no-one's going to buy somethiing from someone with a low positive feedback rating.

Personally I wil continue to use e bay as the benefits far outweigh the risks.

Mad Tony
06-11-06, 07:45
I've brought loads of things off Ebay, all arriving in great condition and on time, except one. A MGS 2 Cheat Disk from Yorkshire, the guy said he sent it, but it never arrived, but it wasn't his fault, he even gave us a refund, it was obviously
the mail service (as usual :rolleyes: ) But if it had been from Play.com or somewhere like that it probably would have arrived.

Autolycus
06-11-06, 08:00
I buy on e-bay quite regular, and i've picked up some real bargains.
I'd recommend it to everyone :D

Tombcool
08-11-06, 02:53
What happens if the seller sends an item that is not the same item (or in bad condition) that it is mentioned on it's description page?

Can I get a refund?

Celephais
08-11-06, 07:40
What happens if the seller sends an item that is not the same item (or in bad condition) that it is mentioned on it's description page?

Can I get a refund?

I'm not entirely sure of the legal nitty gritty of that one, but I once recieved an item that wasn't the item advertised. I contacted the seller, and they immediately agreed to offer either a refund, or let them send the correct item. I left some feedback and although I couldn't honestly say things like the item arrived quickly, I did say the customer support was helpful.

Most sellers on ebay are honest people, and it's only in rare and unfortunate circumstances that you'll get burned on an item.

Celephais
08-11-06, 07:44
I'm not sure if this is helpful to you but from the ebay site they have a Help section Buyer Protection (http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/questions/protection-program.html), and also Item Not Received or Significantly Not as Described Process (http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/inr-snad-process.html)