PDA

View Full Version : Row over Italian toilet

Neteru
07-11-06, 02:50
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42283000/jpg/_42283634_toilet_bbc203.jpg

A toilet which flushes to the sound of Italy's national anthem has been impounded by police in northern Italy, sparking great patriotic debate.

The offending loo was the creation of two local artists and was on display at the Bolzano Museum of Modern Art. Prosecutors say the Fratelli d'Italia anthem is a national emblem which should be protected and should never be open to ridicule. A judgement is expected to be made later this week.

Who owns the national anthem? And is it unpatriotic to play it in a context in which it could be ridiculed? Those are the questions for the court in Bolzano.

Defence barristers for the museum argue that while the anthem does have patriotic and sentimental value, it is not a national symbol. The prosecution on the other hand argue the symbolism of playing the anthem while flushing a toilet is an offence to the nation and they have put forward a robust case.

Full story bbc.co.uk (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6122448.stm)

Shauni
07-11-06, 03:44
:rolleyes:

That's just weird :D :p

BoyTRaider
07-11-06, 04:13
LOL! :vlol:

Lonely Istari
07-11-06, 05:18
lol. What will they come up with next??

GodOfLight
07-11-06, 05:22

That's just weird :D :p

i dont see why its wierd. if someone would be doing this to the american national anthem there would be just as much of a complaint :tea:

daventry
07-11-06, 07:10
I also ones saw a Toilet that sticks a thermometer between your butt when you sit on it, its made in Japan.

Autolycus
07-11-06, 08:21
Lol,why make such a fuss?

Rivendell
07-11-06, 08:40
Exactly Auto!

It plays the Nat. Anthem - so what?
The sort of people who'd be offended by this are the types who get offended when they see a toilet in the first place. Senseless.

Lenochka
07-11-06, 11:29
I don't think its strange that they got in trouble for it... i just think its strange someone would waste time with the idea of a toilet that plays music xD :vlol: although i do have to admit its rather creative :whi: xD

Neteru
07-11-06, 11:32
... i just think its strange someone would waste time with the idea of a toilet that plays musicI take it you've never been to Japan.

viper456
07-11-06, 12:07
I take it you've never been to Japan.

LMAO! true true

Maybe its what the artists wanted to do, cause controversy